PDA

View Full Version : MBB: South Regional Discussion

Troublemaker
03-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Discuss the South Region here. What upsets do you see? What interesting matchups? Who will go to the Final Four?

Troublemaker
03-15-2009, 06:37 PM
South region, unlocked and loaded.

MarkD83
03-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Geaux LSU Tigers!!!!!!

godukecom
03-15-2009, 06:40 PM
unc has the easiest path, imo...

RainingThrees
03-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Geaux LSU Tigers!!!!!!

My dad is an LSU alum, but I can't forgive them for the game vs JJ and Shelden.

superdave
03-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Tough draw for Unc, if OK can get to the Elite 8. I would favor OK and the Griffin bro's but I dont know they will get there. They peaked in January.

NC is not as good as last year - missing Ginyard and his D, little production off bench save for Davis. Hansborough likely wills them to the FF but I dont think they move beyond that.

DukeCO2009
03-15-2009, 06:41 PM
I see this coming down to 1 vs. 2, and I think Blake Griffin will absolutely destroy the 'holes. I loke Oklahoma.

eddiehaskell
03-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Wow. UNC got a lucky break with the teams in their braket.

SMO
03-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Wow. UNC got a lucky break with the teams in their braket.

On the whole perhaps, but I think Gonzaga could give them fits.

burnspbesq
03-15-2009, 06:56 PM
On the whole perhaps, but I think Gonzaga could give them fits.

Absolutely agree. Gonzaga matches up extremely well against Carolina. Hansblahblah against Heytvelt is worth the price of admission all by itself. If Lawson is less than 100 percent, he will struggle against Pargo. Bouldin and Daye are going to present matchup problems for Carolina. And if it comes down to a chess match at the end, my money would be on Mark Few to outcoach Ol' Roy.

RainingThrees
03-15-2009, 07:09 PM
How does UNC get this when Louisville gets Wake and Michigan State.

davekay1971
03-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Gonzaga and Oklahoma could make life hard on UNC. But they should be the clear favorite to advance out of this region. Which is fine, so we can beat 'em in the final four :D

jipops
03-15-2009, 07:20 PM
2nd round matchup between Okla and Clemson could be intense. Griffin vs. Booker. I could see Clemson winning this one with their press and Oklahoma's inexperienced guards.

FireOgilvie
03-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I see this coming down to 1 vs. 2, and I think Blake Griffin will absolutely destroy the 'holes. I loke Oklahoma.

I would love to see that, but I don't think it's going to happen. I really don't see OU even getting to the Elite Eight. Their guards have completely disappeared and they have been relying too much on Blake Griffin. If freshman Willie Warren steps up and plays like he did in January, then they will have a good shot.

mapei
03-15-2009, 07:23 PM
I would love to see Flynn v. Lawson - talk about exciting players. Only wish Hans didn't come in the same package. :(

wisteria
03-15-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't know, I haven't been too impressed by OU especially late in the season. Griffin is a beast, but UNC is deep.

superdave
03-15-2009, 07:28 PM
How good are OK's guards? Not good, right? That seems to be a glaring weakness for a team that has faded down the stretch.

It's easy to dream of the Griffin Hansborough matchup, but I am not confident OK will get there. If they do, could be trouble because the Griffin bro's are really really good. would make Unc one-dimensional.

Chitowndevil
03-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Let's hope Flynn and the Orange have enough left in the tank to make the regional. Even if Lawson is fully healthy by then, that would be one heck of a matchup at the point, and I think their zone would bother Carolina's frontcourt. Also one of the talking heads said this, but Gonzaga actually has a lot of talent on its roster and could give the Heels a game if they're on.

Still this is a good draw for the Holes, as I don't really see either of their 8-9 seeds giving them a game even if Lawson doesn't play. Butler's pace could bother UNC but I don't think they have enough offensively.

House G
03-15-2009, 09:38 PM
My dad is an LSU alum, but I can't forgive them for the game vs JJ and Shelden.
My son is a freshman at LSU--I also can't forgive them for that loss. I think they match up poorly with Carolina. When your center is 6'11" and weighs 210# (this is not a typo!), how do you think he will do against the bully?

DukieBoy
03-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I know many of you probably don't follow Butler, but I think they got royally screwed. They were a top 25 team all year long and ended up with a 9 seed. This may partly be bias involved in my anger as Butler's Matt Howard came from our high school and played on the high school basketball team which I happen to manage. However, I don't understand how a team can be top 25 all year and end up with a 9 seed in the tourney. I can't wait to watch Howard handle Hansbrough (ya ya high hopes I know).

GoingFor#5
03-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Don't sleep on Radford.

ncexnyc
03-15-2009, 09:53 PM
I don't see UNC having any problems in their first two games, even if Lawson isn't 100%. After those first two games they will need Lawson at 100% or they will be toast.

I can't believe people are questioning if the Orangemen will have anything left in the tank after their run in the Big East tourney. Sure they played the equivalent of 5 games in a 4 day span, but they were right there for nearly all of the Championship Game. They will be primed and ready to go and let's not forget they play zone on D and that helps alot when talking about fatigue. They've also got Flynn and Devendoff and as the saying goes, "You need solid guard play to go far in the tourney", these two kids fit that saying to a T. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take this bracket, especially if Mr Toe rears it's ugly head.:D

ice-9
03-16-2009, 12:02 AM
UNC has got to be the overall favorite in this tournament, and they HAVE to be the prohibitive favorite to come out of this region. True, they are worse off without Ginyard, but consider they still have a disruptive PG, an extremely productive center, lots of shooters and lots of big men. This is a team built for post-season success.

Not only that, but this bracket is about as favorable as can reasonably expected for our beloved Tar Holes.

Butler is a nice mid major team. LSU is the class of the SEC, but that's not saying much considering how pathetic the SEC is this year. UNC should crush them both.

Gonzaga won the last 9 out of 10 matches, and handily too, but they were all against inferior conference opponents. Except Tennessee, every decent team they've faced -- Memphis, Utah, Arizona -- they've lost. And even against the Vols they won in OT. Gonzaga is probably the weakest 4 seed, and UNC got 'em.

The other side of the bracket has a lot of good teams -- but that's exactly why it's favorable to UNC. Arizona State, Syracuse, Clemson and Oklahoma all have a decent chance of making it to the Elite Eight. If any of the teams besides Oklahoma get there, it'll have to be considered a big gain for UNC. Arizona State is a good but not great team. Syracuse got a 3 seed because they overachieved in the Big East tournament, not because they truly are one of the nation's 12 best teams. Clemson is dangerous but have faded down the stretch.

The *only* game that should give UNC pause is a Griffin-powered Oklahoma. Even then, UNC's guards are more than capable of winning this game even if Hansbrough is neutralized. Further, Oklahoma hasn't looked the same since Griffin became injured and I'd argue pre-injury Oklahoma was overrated anyway due to a favorable schedule.

This year, there are simply NO EXCUSES for our biggest rival. If they're not in the Final Four they have no one to blame but themselves. This bracket is just about as good as they could've possibly asked for.

BulldogDancer81
03-16-2009, 12:03 AM
GOOOOOO BUTLER!!!!

Had to get that out of my system.

-jk
03-16-2009, 12:09 AM
GOOOOOO BUTLER!!!!

Had to get that out of my system.

I think you speak for all of us. (Excepting, perhaps, the Radford or LSU fans.)

-jk

BulldogDancer81
03-16-2009, 12:20 AM
I think you speak for all of us. (Excepting, perhaps, the Radford or LSU fans.)

-jk

Good to know. I'm a Butler Alum and can't wait for the possible opportunity to take on the Tar Heels. Hopefully I can recruit everyone on the board to be Bulldog Fans as well if we make it past LSU. :)

1999ballboy
03-16-2009, 04:20 AM
I voted LSU because I don't think they've gotten enough respect all year. They appear to be slumping a bit, losing to Auburn and Mississippi State after dominating the SEC all year, but now is as good a time as any for them to snap out of it. Bottom line, UNC has by far the toughest 8/9 matchup out of all the 1 seeds. Whether it's LSU or Butler making it into the second round, they could run into some trouble. Don't know if I'm quite bold enough to pick the upset in my bracket, though.

brevity
03-16-2009, 04:20 AM
I'm scratching my head over Syracuse as a 3 seed. They did lose the Big East tourney final, right? Is the Committee saying they'd be a 2 seed if they'd won? (And if so, really?)

My point is that Gonzaga should be the 3 here and Syracuse the 4. Small change, but UNC's side of the regional would look tougher for them, and I'd like to see them get past Syracuse AND Oklahoma, rather than just one (or neither).

Still, Duke fans should not complain. Radford, the 16 seed, is not necessarily a pushover. They played at Virginia and Wake (losses both), and lost at WVU, but swept Winthrop, the previous champ of this conference.

Then there's the 2nd round. LSU and Butler are the 8/9 matchup, and both were top 20 teams as recently as last week. I figured both would be 6 seeds.

If UNC does get to Detroit, I hope it's a situation last year, where they had to earn it against very different styles of opponents. (And, as a corollary, they fall behind 40-12 again in the national semifinal.)

pamtar
03-16-2009, 09:08 AM
UNC definitely has the easiest road to the regional finals. However, Clemmy, Cuse, and/or OU will give them all they can handle. I'm guessing OU get through.

I really like how the selection committee set up the possible NPOY match-up. But lets be clear, Griffin will show Hanstravel why his future lies in Europe.

davekay1971
03-16-2009, 09:48 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think Gonzaga is a HUGE landmine for UNC. They'll be out of the safety zone of Greensboro by that point. Mark Few would love the opportunity to showcase his program against a college hoops blueblood like UNC, particularly in a year when UNC is so hyped. You know the Gonzaga kids will be fired up to make some noise. I like it. I really hope Gonzaga takes care of business in the first two rounds, because I think they have a much better shot than Illinois to take out Kerlina. I would give Butler a chance, but playing in Greensboro, I think the 'Holes have that locked up.

It's the bottom half of the Kerlina bracket that I think is their easy road. 'Cuse is too high as a 3 seed, and Oklahoma is too weak in the guard play to handle Lawson and Ellington. ASU has Sendek, and he simply isn't going to be the guy to beat the 'Holes. And we all know about Clempsum's mental block when facing pastel blue opponents...

fan345678
03-16-2009, 03:34 PM
This will just warm everyone's heart, but of ESPN Insider's "ten power teams most likely to be early tournament victims," five are in the Heels' region, including their 2,3,5,8, and 9 seeds.

The author really goes out on a limb by saying the #8 or #9 team in the same region is likely to lose early, but anyway...here's the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=3976573

DukeCO2009
03-19-2009, 05:20 AM
All aboard!

For the next 11 or so hours, I plan to eat, breath, and sleep (if I ever finish this presentation) Radford basketball. Who's with me?

Laettner92
03-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Count me in!!I'm wearing my lucky Radford boxers today.

brevity
03-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Signing on. I was hoping the thread would be called "What Radford needs to do to beat UNC."

Go Highlanders! There can be only 16.

Mr Blue Devil
03-19-2009, 07:10 AM
GO RADFORD!!

But honestly, I am a little more focused on Duke tonight :)

davekay1971
03-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Signing on. I was hoping the thread would be called "What Radford needs to do to beat UNC."

Go Highlanders! There can be only 16.

What Radford needs to do to beat UNC:

1) Do a Gillooly on Hansbrough's knee
2) Do a Gillooly on Ellington's knee
3) Do a Gillooly on Lawson's knee (just in case)
4) Allow Danny Green to play
5) Do everything possible to allow Frasor to play
6) Throw a uni on JWill
7) Food poisoning via the Tarhole team breakfast
8) Mighty Putty the Tarhole locker room door shut with the team inside. As Billy Mays will tell you at the top of his lungs, there's nothing stronger than Mighty Putty.

ArkieDukie
03-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Well, considering the fact that Lawson is out, I'd guess that the only thing Radford needs to do is let unc underestimate them. If unc just shows up and doesn't play defense, as they often don't, Radford could make things interesting. That is, assuming Radford plays defense and can score.

DukieInKansas
03-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Let's go, Radford. clap clap, clap clap clap

sandinmyshoes
03-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Maybe Hansbrough will be called for a foul for a reach end at the end of the game, putting a Radford player on the line for game winning freethrows. Then all will be balanced in the Greenburg world. :)

hurleyfor3
03-19-2009, 10:27 AM
I will toe the line.

OldSchool
03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
What will it take for Radford to topple the baby blues? Not much at all, just a few critical ingredients...

Start with a little team dissension.

In the locker room before the game, Frasor calls out Lawson as a wimp for not playing through pain, claiming he once played with a bloody stump after getting his leg caught in a shower drain while shooting jump shots. Danny Green dances over to Lawson’s side and threatens to bust a move on Frasor for questioning Lawson’s fortitude. Hansbrough jumps to the defense of Frasor, yelling, “That’s my boy!” As the other members of the team begin choosing sides, Roy immediately runs over to defuse the situation.

Giving each player a Coke and a smile, Roy begins telling a long story about what it was like to grow up poor in Asheville, how his long-suffering mother had to work three shifts a day to support young Roy, how one day young Roy found a dime just laying there by the side of the road, and couldn’t decide whether to give it to his mother to help pay the rent or use it to buy a Coke, and, as he wrestled with the dilemma, in his mind appeared the image of Dean Smith, who said to him....”

As somnolence quickly grips the team (for Tarheel readers: they got sleepy), Lawson shakes himself awake and confronts Roy, saying “The Toe is 500 times 50 times worse, which equals a million times worse, because you shot me up with some dangerous drug and made me play Duke!” Roy counters with, “We injected you with a placebo,” at which Lawson turns to his teammates, jumps up and down and says “See! See! He admits it, he admits it!” and in the process further aggravates The Toe.

Roy manages to get the team out onto the court and into a layup line, when a member of the press asks Hansbrough if he’ll be able to handle a White Russian. Psycho T reacts to the challenge by immediately chugging a pitcherfull of White Russians. The game begins, and soon Hansbrough is stumbling around the court mumbling something about “Bobby draining threes like he’s in the shower,” but the officials can’t tell if he’s drunk or merely shuffling his feet as he usually does when he has the ball. As he stumbles into Parakhouski, officials call a foul on Radford for having a player in the vicinity of Hansbrough.

As Coach Greenberg begins to object, his brother Seth runs onto the court, angrily throws his suit jacket to the floor and berates the officials, claiming a conspiracy against the Greenberg family and asking why it is Duke gets all the calls in college basketball. Seth insists the officials come over with him to the monitor and review the game tape of the most recent Va Tech-Duke game.

While Seth, the officials and the Tarheel players become engrossed in the game tape of Va Tech-Duke, a heated debate arises, with Seth and the Tarheel players claiming that Greg Paulus was “offside” on the late game layup, and the officials responding that they cannot find a penalty for “offside” in the basketball rulebook.

With attention so diverted, the Radford players begin scoring layup after layup, with the help of a disgruntled Lawson inbounding the ball after each basket.

In the Oval Office, President Obama and Secretary Geithner are watching CNBC and becoming increasingly confused and bewildered by this thing the press is calling “the economy.” For relief, they turn over to the Carolina-Radford game, only to discover the game is 200-0 in favor of Radford with less than a minute to go! The president turns to Reggie Love and orders Reggie to hand him his blackberry so he can immediately get a message to Coach Roy to let him know what is happening, or else “this sucker is going down,” referring to his NCAA bracket.

Reggie begins looking under the desk and turning over sofa cushions, but can’t seem to recall just where he left the president’s blackberry.

As the final buzzer sounds, Radford wins 210-0!

Not so far-fetched, is it?

Matches
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I have always been a huge Radford fan!

And by always I mean "since Sunday night".

namvet1965
03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
All aboard!

For the next 11 or so hours, I plan to eat, breath, and sleep (if I ever finish this presentation) Radford basketball. Who's with me?
Sick! Not becoming for Duke University, a North Carolina school with national reputation.

DukieInKansas
03-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Sick! Niot becoming for Duke University, a North Carolina school with national reputation and an up-and coming basketball program.

Quote: " You guys should keep Coach K and he will build you a basketball pgm like those of UNC and NCSU (of days gone by)"

Since the likelihood of Radford knocking off the tar heels is very, very small, it is obvious this thread is a bit of light hearted humor. It isn't unusual for people to pull for the underdog when the underdog isn't playing their team.

I'm not sure you could consider Duke to be an up and coming basketball program. I believe Duke is an established elite program.

DukePA
03-19-2009, 11:27 AM
OldSchool: YOU ROCK!!!!! That was a magnificent piece of writing!!! Thank you for making me grin!

DukePA
03-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Since the likelihood of Radford knocking off the tar heels is very, very small, it is obvious this thread is a bit of light hearted humor. It isn't unusual for people to pull for the underdog when the underdog isn't playing their team.

I'm not sure you could consider Duke to be an up and coming basketball program. I believe Duke is an established elite program.

DIK, my fellow shin kicker, I adore light hearted humor especially at the expense of the baby blues!!! LIfe if good!!

pfrduke
03-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Sick! Niot becoming for Duke University, a North Carolina school with national reputation and an up-and coming basketball program.

Quote: " You guys should keep Coach K and he will build you a basketball pgm like those of UNC and NCSU (of days gone by)"

Hold on - did you just call the program with the 4th most wins, the 3rd most final four appearances, the 5th most championships, and the coach with the 4th most wins "up-and-coming"? You do realize it's not 1981, right?

jdj4duke
03-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Those fun loving Heels!

About 8 minutes to go, Heels up by 40, and the starters are all still in the game. Maybe they are polishing up their half-court offense?

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-19-2009, 07:28 PM
A matchup of two teams that beat us this year. Clemson needs to calm down thier like 1-10 on threes already and just keep firing away. A win here would be good for the ACC that would make us 3-0 on the day so far.

Go ACC

and of Course GO DEVILS

CameronCrazy'11
03-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Note to Oglesby: You are not J.J. Redick. Get some shot selection.

BD80
03-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Oglisby has got to be the most frustrating player in the nation to coach. He takes horrible shots, turns the ball over, and takes stupid fouls. Then he'll make three impossible threes in a row to completely change the game. He better start doing something right real soon or it will be a quick but slow flight home.

CameronCrazy'11
03-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Oglisby has got to be the most frustrating player in the nation to coach. He takes horrible shots, turns the ball over, and takes stupid fouls. Then he'll make three impossible threes in a row to completely change the game. He better start doing something right real soon or it will be a quick but slow flight home.

He shouldn't be that hard to coach. Purnell should be able to teach him shot selection, and should bench him when he takes those incredibly stupid threes. I don't think he's a much better shooter than say Paulus, for example. But Paulus knows the difference between a good shot and an awful shot.

captmojo
03-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Purnell pulls hair out, at halftime, in locker room.

Tweezers were needed.

FerryFor50
03-19-2009, 08:26 PM
What a punk move by Oglesby. Guy grabs your jersey and you think he needs an elbow to the face for it?

Good call on the ejection.

flyingdutchdevil
03-19-2009, 08:31 PM
What a punk move by Oglesby. Guy grabs your jersey and you think he needs an elbow to the face for it?

Good call on the ejection.

Completely agree. He just lost them the game. Stupid move by an immature player.

Go Wolverines!!!!

P.S. anyone seen a wolverine? what the hell is a wolverine?

Newton_14
03-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Wow.. Frustration foul for sure, but to get tossed from a NCAA tourney game for that is over the top imo. I think intentional foul was fair, but not ejection.

At any rate, Clemson is done. So beating Duke was the last hurrah for them this year. Guess they should have took a page from ol roy and cut the nets down that fateful evening...

trey
03-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Wow.. Frustration foul for sure, but to get tossed from a NCAA tourney game for that is over the top imo. I think intentional foul was fair, but not ejection.

At any rate, Clemson is done. So beating Duke was the last hurrah for them this year. Guess they should have took a page from ol roy and cut the nets down that fateful evening...

I agree. It was a dumb play, but I don't think he should have been ejected for that. It wasn't as violent as the elbow Singler took against VT and we all know how much punishment was dished out for that one ;)

However, the way Ogelsby was playing, the Tigers are probably better off without him.

pfrduke
03-19-2009, 08:47 PM

They're mean little SOBs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine).

BlueintheFace
03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Never EVER count on Clemson in March...

flyingdutchdevil
03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
I agree. It was a dumb play, but I don't think he should have been ejected for that. It wasn't as violent as the elbow Singler took against VT and we all know how much punishment was dished out for that one ;)

However, the way Ogelsby was playing, the Tigers are probably better off without him.

true that. is there a more trigger happy player in the ACC? on the east coast? in the NCAA?

BD80
03-19-2009, 09:08 PM
... what the hell is a wolverine?

They are large weasels. Due to their appearance and smell, they are commonly referred to to as "skunk bears". Particularly by Spartans and Buckeyes.

Newton_14
03-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Clemson making it interesting.. down by only 4 with the ball

BlueintheFace
03-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Seriously, Purnell couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag once the clock strikes March

juise
03-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Terrible last shot. They needed a 3 at the end and their sharp shooter had been ejected. Pity.

freedevil
03-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Clemson plays in the tourney like it plays in Chapel Hill.

willowglen
03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Watching Clemson for years, I think they need to be willing to take considerably more risk. And that doesn't mean a new coach.

They invariably play a cupcake early schedule and then subject themselves to some sort of decline, sometimes precipitous. This year was only moderate in terms of decline.

They should (and the talent they are recruiting is fairly good) really go out and play some people, so they can act like they belong come crunch time.

I know this is a simplistic statement but the pattern is obvious. They act like they don't belong in big games, and it shows.

buddy
03-19-2009, 09:49 PM
They start 16-0, then close 7-9. I agree they need to toughen up early. For whatever reason, Clemson can't seal the deal. Maybe it's Purnell, maybe it's the players. But the record speaks for itself. Tonight they got in a funk when they didn't get some calls, then didn't wake up soon enough.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Purnell's the reason they've done so well -- he's not the problem.

cruxer
03-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Agreed. Purnell's got them back to playing how they did when Barnes was there. They have some mental block about getting a win in the tourney though. Once they do, they could make a decent run.

I should note that the football team seems to have the same issue with the "big game." I hear about it all the time living in the Upstate....

-c

miramar
03-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Clemson should just end their season in February and forfeit the rest of their games.

Coballs
03-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Remember when Duke played at Clemson this year and ESPN kept showing the sports psychologist sitting behind Clemson's bench. Man, does that guy have his work cut out for him. Between Clemson's late season implosions, annual tournament first round flops, horrid foul shooting, and undisciplined play/behavior, it might take a whole team of sports psychologists just to begin to straighten that bunch out.

roywhite
03-20-2009, 07:35 AM
What a bonehead Oglesby is.

Clemson does not get the ball to Booker enough. Nor do they handle the ball well generally in tight games.

Surfsideron
03-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Completely agree. He just lost them the game. Stupid move by an immature player.

Go Wolverines!!!!

You wouldn't want to run into one in the woods! They are one of the fiercest and short tempered animals around!

blueprofessor
03-20-2009, 12:34 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/03/19/ericbell/index.html?eref=si_writers

So short that he has to sit on 3 phone books to drive.
The growth spurt never came.
Drove Capel crazy in defeat.

Best--Blueprof:)

Mal
03-20-2009, 01:09 PM
I didn't see the first 25 minutes, where they must have taken some time to find their footing, but most of the last 15 minutes Gonzaga put on last night were seriously impressive. Heytvelt became unstoppable in the second half. I hadn't watched them this season, but they strike me as very solid through the starting 5, at least. Bouldin looked good when settled, Downs has a nice shot. Pargo had one of the more ferocious jams I've ever seen from a 6'2" guy (seriously, if you haven't seen that highlight, it's a "watch it 5 or 6 times in a row" dunk). I'm definitely looking forward to Gonzaga/Western Kentucky tomorrow. WKU looked better than I expected, too. Mendez-Valdez is as promised, and they're definitely more athletic than I figured them to be.

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 05:37 PM
:eek:

Mike Corey
03-21-2009, 05:41 PM
A shocking revelation. :)

feldspar
03-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I just can't believe people buy this schtick.

"Golly, I'm not sure if Lawson can even play today. We'll decide about fifteen minutes before tipoff........Oh, but if he does play, he'll definitely start."

What??

FerryFor50
03-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Surprise!

Roy Williams must go to the Bill Belichek school of lame.

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Aw shucks, I'm just so dadgum happy he's healthy enough to play!

Mike Corey
03-21-2009, 05:49 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk139/PolicyInPractice/n513685938_1604549_2474876.jpg

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 05:52 PM
LSU doing all right so far...

FerryFor50
03-21-2009, 05:54 PM
LSU doing all right so far...

Yes they are. I've seen 2 Hansbrough travels already though...

FerryFor50
03-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Also not fond of the basketball ignorant boos by the Heels fans.

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 05:57 PM
They do nothing but boo every time they don't get each and every call. Beaker's already unveiled the "I can't believe I didn't get that call!" whiny stinkface.

FerryFor50
03-21-2009, 05:58 PM
They do nothing but boo every time they don't get each and every call. Beaker's already unveiled the "I can't believe I didn't get that call!" whiny stinkface.

My favorite is when they slapped ALL BALL and the crowd boos. As if no one can knock the ball out of King Tyler's hands without committing a foul. :rolleyes:

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Clark Kellogg: Willing accomplice.

Lawson's moving completely normally and Kellogg's babbling about how Lawson's taking it easy, not driving as he normally would...

Still not missing Billy Packer, tho...

FerryFor50
03-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Clark Kellogg: Willing accomplice.

Lawson's moving completely normally and Kellogg's babbling about how Lawson's taking it easy, not driving as he normally would...

Still not missing Billy Packer, tho...

Gotta sell the Kool Aid.

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Okay, I take it all back...the kid looks like he's in pain.

:(

Newton_14
03-21-2009, 06:10 PM
The toe looks like he may be done for the day...

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah, Beaker's going to have to pick up the flopping to make up for his absence.

Lavabe
03-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Yep, with 10 min to go in the 1st half, he is getting an extensive medical evaluation.

Mike: JPEG of the year!:D

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Travelling on Beaker?! You're not in the ACC anymore, Toto...

FerryFor50
03-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Okay, I take it all back...the kid looks like he's in pain.

:(

Yea, very true.

While I hate to see him hurt, I don't mind that he's not playing.

FerryFor50
03-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Rats. He's back in.

FerryFor50
03-21-2009, 06:22 PM
And he makes a nice athletic layup.

Either this kid is tough as nails or he's faking it.

_Gary
03-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Come on, the kid simply cannot be that hurt to play like he's playing. I'm sure he's got some kind of injury, but I'm not buying that it's anything as bad as it's been made out to be.

BTW, once again I have to say they might as well have scheduled this game for the Dean Dome. It's so ridiculously one-sided, fan wise. And that does make a difference. No one will ever convince me that UNC doesn't have a 6+ point advantage every time they take the court just about anywhere in the country simply because of the fan base. And conversely, no one will ever convince me that Duke doesn't start games with a -6 deficit for the same reason any time they play just about anywhere other than Cameron or in NJ.

FerryFor50
03-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Come on, the kid simply cannot be that hurt to play like he's playing. I'm sure he's got some kind of injury, but I'm not buying that it's anything as bad as it's been made out to be.

BTW, once again I have to say they might as well have scheduled this game for the Dean Dome. It's so ridiculously one-sided, fan wise. And that does make a difference. No one will ever convince me that UNC doesn't have a 6+ point advantage every time they take the court just about anywhere in the country simply because of the fan base. And conversely, no one will ever convince me that Duke doesn't start games with a -6 deficit for the same reason any time they play just about anywhere other than Cameron or in NJ.

Pretty much. I'm sure it hurts, but you don't make those kind of cuts and moves if you're in that much pain.

DukePA's Mom
03-21-2009, 06:30 PM
If he really hurt his toe again, its stupid to put him back in. What a joke the unc mecial team support must be.

FerryFor50
03-21-2009, 06:31 PM
If he really hurt his toe again, its stupid to put him back in. What a joke the unc mecial team support must be.

I don't see why you put him back in when you're in control of the game like they are.

Chard
03-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Great Scott! Did anyone see the chicken wing hook that Hansblow got away with right before the half. The refs sure didn't!

slower
03-21-2009, 06:54 PM
A preview of Hansblow's NBA "career".

slower
03-21-2009, 06:55 PM
a preview of hansblow's nba "career".

ahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Lavabe
03-21-2009, 06:59 PM
At this point, I am going to stop watching this game, with LSU in the lead.

I hope this action will counter the mojo that usually happens when the Holes come from behind on TV.

Must find pastrami!!:D

duketaylor
03-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Some good action going on here, GO TIGERS!!!

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Hell of a game at the moment!

geraldsneighbor
03-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Love the Duke fans cheering on LSU!

ArkieDukie
03-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Question: I saw in the box score on ESPN that Ginyard played. Is that right? I thought he was out for the year.

geraldsneighbor
03-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Question: I saw in the box score on ESPN that Ginyard played. Is that right? I thought he was out for the year.

Hes stocking the fridge with Cokes for Ole' Roy. Let's go LSU.

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Grudging respect for Lawson - he's playing through some real pain.

Beaker on the other hand just pushed a LSU player in the back, got called for the foul, and had the audacity to give the shocked "who me?!" Hanstravel stinkface. I'm done with him. It's time to lose today, give the Beaker face one last time, and go sit at the end of the Bobcats bench.

geraldsneighbor
03-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Oh there we go. Henderson elbow of Hantravel highlight.I guess we were over due for that highlight.

FireOgilvie
03-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Hansbrough just broke another record...

...eye contacts lost during a career.

_Gary
03-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Yeah, Lawson is just so, so hurt. He blows by everyone on the break and gets the sick/lucky roll for a potential three point play. And the announcers just keep building Hanstravel and him up so much it's not even funny. Is there not one announcer in the country that isn't in love with these guys? :rolleyes:

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Oh there we go. Henderson elbow of Hantravel highlight.I guess we were over due for that highlight.

The moment Henderson became my favorite Blue Devil. On my Youtube favorites list. :D

dukebsbll14
03-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Announcer: How many times has Hansbrough been hit in the face in his career?

Me: How many times did JJ hear the "F*** you JJ" chant in his career?

just throwing it out there I guess...

_Gary
03-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Even the ball seems to love UNC more. Seems like every bounce is going their way. Just about over for LSU now (unless they get red hot from the outside). The lead has ballooned to 7. Serious danger time for the Tigers at this point.

_Gary
03-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Turn out the lights. This party is over.

geraldsneighbor
03-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Turn out the lights. This party is over.

Leave them on. Another one is starting at 8:15.

dukebsbll14
03-21-2009, 07:29 PM
LSU's done. Maybe Lawson will "hurt" his toe even more so he can't play the next game...

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm sick watching this...looks like at least one more game watching Beaker and the Greatest Team Ever.

Go DUKE!

_Gary
03-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Leave them on. Another one is starting at 8:15.

Yeah. Well let's just hope it has a happier ending than this one. I'm sick to my stomach. Not just because UNC is going to win, but over the fawning of these announcers. I'd be cool if Duke wasn't vilified so much, but when it's this over the top I find it intolerable.

geraldsneighbor
03-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah. Well let's just hope it has a happier ending than this one. I'm sick to my stomach. Not just because UNC is going to win, but over the fawning of these announcers. I'd be cool if Duke wasn't vilified so much, but when it's this over the top I find it intolerable.

I agree. I was just hoping it would all come full circle and LSU would end Beaker's career.

dukebsbll14
03-21-2009, 07:37 PM
hmmm 14 point lead, 2 min left, and the hurting Tywon still in? Wonder if Roy leaves him in to run up the score again?

DukeCO2009
03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Lawson is faking it, but it appears that he may have legitimately aggrivated his toe in this one. He was playing with a noticeable limp in the last couple minutes--well after Roy should have pulled the plug on him.

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Congratulations, Tarholes, on the home win against an 8 seed (or was it 9) from the weakest major conference in the nation. (slow clap)

I'm not going to say Lawson is faking it. He looked to be in real pain at times tonight. I figure gutsy effort from a competitor.

Roy, on the other hand, is milking this gratuitously. Never hurts to have an excuse ready for a guy with a long history of having teams underachieve in March (his run with Matty Doh's players in 2005 nonwithstanding)...

rthomas
03-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Ty Lwawson was fricking amazing. Kudo's to UNC. That was a great game.
Go Duke!

Namtilal
03-21-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm happy with the game. Looks to me like the first team to stop Lawson will win easily. Does Gonzaga play good D?

-bdbd
03-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Given what the rowdy UNC-ch crowd did against Duke in Charlotte a couple years back, I'm really not surprised to see Duke fans - at least a few hundred there - rooting openly for LSU. But yiu just watch, now 20,000 faded blue "Longhorns" will loudly, aggressively root for their burnt-orange heroes in game 2... And their defense wil be afterwards that "well, your fans rooted against us.."

Give em something to cry about Duke! (If Duke surges early, half of those supposed 'horn fans will be gone before the 2nd half starts...) heh...heh...heh.

BTW, congrats to Jeff Capel whose Sooners just made it to the Sweet 16!!!!

-BDBD :cool:

1999ballboy
03-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Lawson had a great second half, I'll admit. He really didn't do anything special in the first, though, and Kellogg was talking about how he was "the difference" even back then, while pointing out signs of the toe injuries. As I said, he played a stellar second half, but he got way too much credit when start to finish, Wayne Ellington was clearly the best player for the Heels tonight. Not that I expected anything else.

devildownunder
03-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't think Lawson was faking it. He missed a lot of time and was hobbling while he was out there.

I guess now we watch our guys beat Texas (we hope) and scout Gonzaga/Western Kentucky. We've already scouted Villanova.

devildownunder
03-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Given what the rowdy UNC-ch crowd did against Duke in Charlotte a couple years back, I'm really not surprised to see Duke fans - at least a few hundred there - rooting openly for LSU. But yiu just watch, now 20,000 faded blue "Longhorns" will loudly, aggressively root for their burnt-orange heroes in game 2... And their defense wil be afterwards that "well, your fans rooted against us.."

Give em something to cry about Duke! (If Duke surges early, half of those supposed 'horn fans will be gone before the 2nd half starts...) heh...heh...heh.

BTW, congrats to Jeff Capel whose Sooners just made it to the Sweet 16!!!!

-BDBD :cool:

UNC fans cheering against Duke? I wouldn't have it any other way. Send 'em home in tears!

AtlBluRew
03-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Did you see this? A Morgan State player flipped Blake Griffin in a completely-uncalled for, must have been intentional move. Classy, Coach Todd Bozeman ...

http://ncaatournament.fanhouse.com/2009/03/20/morgan-state-player-uses-blake-griffin-in-remake-of-blair-thabee/

killerleft
03-21-2009, 10:47 PM
You're blaming the coach?

devildownunder
03-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Spent 1 year in school there, so I pay attention to them. They've got shooters, size inside and out, a guard who can create and distribute and a defense that routinely takes offenses out of their element. They are going to be one tough out.

And as a side note, it's sort of weird to Eric Boateng out there for Arizona State. I guess I just sort of forgot about him.

Acymetric
03-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure if I want to pull for Syracuse or ASU here. I always liked Sendek and love rubbing his current success in the face of my State friends who wanted him out. On the other hand, I also like Syracuse and Jim Boeheim...

I guess I'm tempted to pull for the Orange because it offers one more tough potential matchup (Gonzagao next game for sure, and then either Oklahoma or 'Cuse the round after if it comes to that).

Namtilal
03-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Definitely root for Syracuse. I mean, think of Devendorf -- odds are, both those women he's hit in the face in the last few years were most likely probably asking for it. Plus, why did they wait for unnecessary financial consideration from boosters before recanting their stories? Just not right...

(Unfounded speculation above, but the whole situation, and Boeheim's reaction to it, made me sick of my hometown team.)

Oriole Way
03-22-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm definitely pulling for Syracuse because they have a good shot of beating UNC.

JDev
03-22-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm definitely pulling for Syracuse because they have a good shot of beating UNC.

Absolutely. I would love to see Syracuse beat UNC for a Final Four birth. They match up pretty well, with a quality, quick point guard and some real size up front. Maybe the zone would slow the Heels as well. Of course there is the small matter of Oklahoma first. The Heels also have Gonzaga to deal with, and that might be a tough one. They too have a quick PG in Pargo, some shooters, good size, and a good big man in Heyvelt. I think that game will come down to how it is officiated. If it is one of those games where you get a foul for looking at Hansbrough the Zags will be in trouble. I feel weird because I just talked briefly about a Heel game and made no mention of toes.

gw67
03-25-2009, 08:04 AM
This year when I filled out my bracket, I figured that I would take a chance on the Zags making it to the Final Four. I realize that they lost to Memphis and Tennessee but they have experience and more talent than any previous Gonzaga team. Further, like Duke, they changed their point guard, switching Bouldin for Pargo, and the change has worked. Finally, they have one of the best offensive minds in college basketball in Mark Few. Of course, they meet up with UNC in the Sweet Sixteen. I like the matchups and, like the Devils/Nova game, expect a very entertaining game.

By the way, the Post had a nice article on the Zags this morning. I found it interesting that they routinely redshirt players and that many expect Oregon (Few's alma mater and a few miles from where he was raised) to come after him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/24/AR2009032401368.html

gw67

roywhite
03-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Gonzaga defeated UNC in a game in November, 2006; obviously, that's a while ago, but many of the current players were on the roster. Heytvelt thoroughly outplayed Hansbrough. This experience could give the Zags some confidence.

I think this is a close game, with a fair chance the Zags win.

davekay1971
03-25-2009, 09:02 AM
It may have been wishful thinking, but I picked Gonzaga over UNC in my bracket based on the matchups, Gonzaga's efficiency ratings, and my opinion that Few is a better game coach than Williams. Hopefully I'll be proven right (mostly because it would mean UNC lost...but also because I'd be utterly dominating my pool).

FWIW, I had a hard time deciding between Gonzaga, 'Cuse, and Oklahoma for my final four pick out of the region. I stuck with Gonzaga, but would clearly be rooting for Oklahoma and Capel.

ClosetHurleyFan
03-25-2009, 11:04 AM
It may have been wishful thinking, but I picked Gonzaga over UNC in my bracket based on the matchups, Gonzaga's efficiency ratings, and my opinion that Few is a better game coach than Williams. Hopefully I'll be proven right (mostly because it would mean UNC lost...but also because I'd be utterly dominating my pool).

FWIW, I had a hard time deciding between Gonzaga, 'Cuse, and Oklahoma for my final four pick out of the region. I stuck with Gonzaga, but would clearly be rooting for Oklahoma and Capel.

IF (and I emphasize IF), Lawson and Ellington continue their current level of play, no way Gonzaga beats UNC. If you have to worry yourself with those two scoring 20 plus, Hansborough, Green, and others will kill you. Everyone is talking about Lawson, but Ellington is having a stellar NCAA tournament thus far. I dont think Carolina loses with Hansborough and the other interior guys playing what has been thus far a complimentary role to the perimeter game. The other factor, Ed Davis: he played 25 minutes against LSU. Even if Hey(sp?) matches up with Hansborough, I dont think they have an answer for Davis and to lesser extent Thompson. Agree, good game, but think Carolina pulls away for 10 point victory in the end.

Closet "Feeling Good if Lawson/Ellington keep it up"HurleyFan

davekay1971
03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
IF (and I emphasize IF), Lawson and Ellington continue their current level of play, no way Gonzaga beats UNC. If you have to worry yourself with those two scoring 20 plus, Hansborough, Green, and others will kill you. Everyone is talking about Lawson, but Ellington is having a stellar NCAA tournament thus far. I dont think Carolina loses with Hansborough and the other interior guys playing what has been thus far a complimentary role to the perimeter game. The other factor, Ed Davis: he played 25 minutes against LSU. Even if Hey(sp?) matches up with Hansborough, I dont think they have an answer for Davis and to lesser extent Thompson. Agree, good game, but think Carolina pulls away for 10 point victory in the end.

Closet "Feeling Good if Lawson/Ellington keep it up"HurleyFan

Agreed that if Lawson and Ellington remain hot Carolina is a very tough team to beat. On the other hand, Lawson and Ellington both had good games against LSU, and LSU played them very close. Gonzaga is a better team than the Tigers, and this will be a very different environment than Greensboro - 'cause you know all those Oklahoma and Syracuse fans will be pulling hard for the 'Zags. Carolina is definitely the favorite, particularly with the way Ellington has been playing. I'd feel good if I were you, too. But I wouldn't say "no way Gonzaga beats UNC".

ClosetHurleyFan
03-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Agreed that if Lawson and Ellington remain hot Carolina is a very tough team to beat. On the other hand, Lawson and Ellington both had good games against LSU, and LSU played them very close. Gonzaga is a better team than the Tigers, and this will be a very different environment than Greensboro - 'cause you know all those Oklahoma and Syracuse fans will be pulling hard for the 'Zags. Carolina is definitely the favorite, particularly with the way Ellington has been playing. I'd feel good if I were you, too. But I wouldn't say "no way Gonzaga beats UNC".

Oh I had to be a little bit inflamatory for "fun" sake ;) I totally see your point about LSU game, although I think absent Carolina falling asleep at the wheel during first five minutes of the second half on the defensive end of the floor that is more like a 20 point win. Now I know what you are going to say, "CArolina has fallen asleep many times on defense", however, I think their giving away a 9 point lead in a matter of minutes to open a half was a bit unusual, even for North Carolina.

Newton_14
03-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Oh I had to be a little bit inflamatory for "fun" sake ;) I totally see your point about LSU game, although I think absent Carolina falling asleep at the wheel during first five minutes of the second half on the defensive end of the floor that is more like a 20 point win. Now I know what you are going to say, "CArolina has fallen asleep many times on defense", however, I think their giving away a 9 point lead in a matter of minutes to open a half was a bit unusual, even for North Carolina.

I did not feel the heels went to sleep on D during that LSU run. I felt that was the one stretch of the game where LSU played smart. They went into full attack mode and combined that with good shot selection. But then they went back to their normal self. I also credit the response from the heels guard tandem. Both Lawson and Ellington ratcheted up their play to make a counter run and end the threat. Your guys play better D than what they get credited for.

I don't see Gonzaga winning this game.. Syracuse has the best chance among the teams left in the South of pulling an upset of your boys...

FerryFor50
03-27-2009, 01:03 AM
I have plenty of room on it! LET'S GO ZAGS!

dukeballer2294
03-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Its the josh heytfelt show

jipops
03-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Anybody who actually likes college basketball should be joining this bandwagon.

FireOgilvie
03-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Who has two thumbs and roots for Gonzaga?

THIS GUY. *points to self with thumbs*

...doesn't work well on the Internet.

Dr. Tina
03-27-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm definitely in, especially since Duke lost and I'll have to buy lunch for a Tarheel if UNC makes it into the Elite Eight tomorrow. I will be for ANY team that's playing UNC! That's where my energy is going for the rest of the tournament!

1999ballboy
Immediately after the loss tonight, I changed my facebook picture to a Gonzaga Bulldogs logo.* So yes. I'd say I'm on it.

*This was primarily provoked by reading status updates from some of my more obnoxious Carolina friends.

kinghoops
Hell, im driving!!!!!

FerryFor50
03-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Immediately after the loss tonight, I changed my facebook picture to a Gonzaga Bulldogs logo.* So yes. I'd say I'm on it.

*This was primarily provoked by reading status updates from some of my more obnoxious Carolina friends.

Gotta love the status updates.

FerryFor50
03-27-2009, 01:17 AM
So, uh.. why did my Gonzaga bandwagon get moved here to die? That thread had very little to do with this one.

DevilDad
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Fearless predictions????

Gonzaga 74
UNC 66

kinghoops
03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Fearless predictions????

Gonzaga 74
UNC 66

if you think gonzaga will hold unc to 66 points, you gonna be disappointed. i want the zags to win also, but they will have to win a shoot out in the 80's

JDev
03-27-2009, 03:35 PM
if you think gonzaga will hold unc to 66 points, you gonna be disappointed. i want the zags to win also, but they will have to win a shoot out in the 80's

You're right. The Zags play about as much defense as UNC. This game will be in the 80's.

ClosetHurleyFan
03-28-2009, 08:16 AM
You're right. The Zags play about as much defense as UNC. This game will be in the 80's.

Wow, wasnt expecting UNC to take them to wood shed like this. They didnt even shoot well from foul line and still won by that margin.

Great matchup forthcoming with OU...........any thoughts from you guys? I really havent watched OU all year.

By the way, dont hang your heads, Duke had a great year but the NCAA is all about matchups as you guys well know. That was a tough matchup with Nova.

jipops
03-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Wow, wasnt expecting UNC to take them to wood shed like this. They didnt even shoot well from foul line and still won by that margin.

Great matchup forthcoming with OU...........any thoughts from you guys? I really havent watched OU all year.

By the way, dont hang your heads, Duke had a great year but the NCAA is all about matchups as you guys well know. That was a tough matchup with Nova.

The Griffin/Hansbrough matchup is enticing and Crocker may be a tough matchup for UNC as well, but this game will be won on the perimeter. I expect UNC to turnover OU's young guards a great deal and win this one going away in the 2nd.

Back to Griffin, what a beast this guy is. I have been extremely impressed every time I've watched this guy play. He focuses on all aspects of the game, he's not simply pounding the paint. However, since he's matched up against Tyler foul trouble could be an issue - though Capel may elect to put Taylor on him and Blake on Deon.

DukieBoy
03-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I know reopening old wounds. But this game (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4024553&categoryid=2378529) was great Scottie Reynolds is clutch.

DukieBoy
03-28-2009, 11:11 PM
That was supposed to say Nova-Pitt. Whoops. All this UConnvicts talk has brainwashed me :)