PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 79, FSU 69... ACC Champions! Post-Game Thread

Troublemaker
03-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Please discuss here.

indakut
03-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Congrats, Duke!!! Hopefully, they can carry this confidence deeeeeeeep into the NCAA's!!!! :p :D

davekay1971
03-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Great performance, great tournament! Duke has been clutch in close games and today really put it together. They're playing very solid basketball going into the NCAAs. But today is about the accomplishment of becoming the 2008-2009 ACC champions.

SMO
Please discuss here.

A legitimate reason to cut down the nets with Scheyer as MVP. I love it! This feels good, real good.

DukeCO2009
Stallball.....yikes!

Thought I'd get that out of the way so I can end on a good note. ACC Champions with a capital C (as opposed to chapel hill, who won the lowercase c variety). D-U-K-E!

ice-9
03-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Great games by Singler and Zoubek in the first half.

G played an excellent game throughout.

Scheyer's free throws were HUGE and his ability to guide the team -- what, only three Duke turnovers? -- was key. Scheyer my MOTM.

miramar
03-15-2009, 03:16 PM
John Feinstein is absolutely right. The ACC is indeed a one-team league.

The team: Duke.

Bob Green
03-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Congratulations to our Blue Devils for a great ACC Championship and congratulations to Jon Scheyer for being named the tournament MVP.

devildownunder
03-15-2009, 03:18 PM
How great this must feel for guys in the junior class, who endured 2007 and 2008's difficulties and now hoist a conference championship banner. I'm so happy for all of them.

Way to go, guys! You are champions of the greatest conference ever! Well done!

Now on to THE tournament. I think Duke has earned a 2 seed. Can't wait for the madness to begin.

Im4howdy
03-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Dave McClure has been so valuable to Duke. What a tough kid who really is the unsung hero of this team.

Jumbo
Celebrate, folks! There will be plenty of time to analyze and such coming up. But enjoy this. Huge, huge accomplishment for these kids. Way to go!!!

delfrio
Excellent game! Should be a real confidence booster for the big tourney. Congrats to Scheyer for the MVP.

And, FWIW, I think the stallball worked just fine -- it's not designed to run up the score, it's designed to outlast other teams (and that's just what it did).

natkap
03-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Although it was a long and tense ending, we remained strong and finished. I thought the way the Noles pressured the ball in the last 50 seconds was overkill. If you're not going to foul, let the clock wind down. I don't fault Jon's last shot because of that. FSU had it coming playing like that.

I wish it was a cleaner finish and we won't be able to get away with that after the first round of the NCAA, but we gained a lot of confidence today that will hopefully carry us a long way. Let's just keep playing like we did in the first half. Go Duke!!

CameronBornAndBred
03-15-2009, 03:21 PM
The slow down drove me nuts, I wasn't surprised by the comeback, we let it happen so often. But that's my only complaint..
WOOOOHOOOOOOO Way to go Devils!!!!!!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Such a big achievement for this group of guys. As a program we're back, but for our players we've just arrived. It's been wonderful to see this group build their own winning tradition. G, Kyle, Jon, Dave, and everyone on this team can take their places at the table with the rest of Duke's ACC champions and I couldn't be happier.

Billy Dat
03-15-2009, 03:24 PM
When FSU cut it to 6 with 12 remaining, I started to write down what happened...with perhaps a few missed nuances:

-Scheyer nails a 3
-Scheyer gets fouled shooting a 3 and hits all 3 (he must lead the NCAAs in drawing fouls when shooting 3s)
-Singler steal
-Nolan spin move and floater in the lane
-G keeps missed shot alive, Scheyer drives and kicks to G for a 3
-Nolan hits G on a high-low for the dunk and foul. G misses the foul shot, McClure keeps it alive, G gets fouled backing Douglas down and hits the 2 free throws
-Scheyer's insane backward flip off the baseline drive
-Singler 3
-Scheyer 3

That was pretty much the ballgame.

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO THIS TEAM AND COACHING STAFF. No matter what happens from here on out, you've made history.

DukeCO2009
03-15-2009, 03:25 PM
I'd also like to add that we're peaking at the end of the season for the first time in a handful of years. I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances to make a deep run. How sweet it is!

geraldsneighbor
03-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Man this tastes good after what this team went through in getting here. What a great job these guys did in pulling this one today. 28 wins, what a season.

terrih
03-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Way to go TEAM! So excited and happy for all of them. Major props to Dave for his play off the bench and to Kyle - who I think played the entire tournament- never came off the court.

Awesome tournament for this team!

ACC CHAMPIONS!

pamtar
03-15-2009, 03:27 PM
They should give out ACCCOY after the tournament. After winning this game you have to say that this is one of K's best season ever.

Pride rules!

BlueDevilBaby
03-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Tremendous effort, fellows! Finished like Duke teams of old, playing keep-away and making freethrows. Could not be happier for a great group of guys. I love Dave Henderson - an unsung hero on this team . Gman gave him a great compliment - unrecognized MVP. Take this momentum forward into the big dance!:D

BlueintheFace
03-15-2009, 03:29 PM
1) CONGRATULATIONS... today, in the first half, we saw what it looks like when G, Jon, and Kyle are all playing great on both ends of the floor and our bench is contributing. It's beautiful.

2) Jon is playing great right now. Kyle is too. Those two are just warriors who hit one big shot after another.

3) G was the best and worst player on the court today. He made some amazing plays and knocked down some really big ones too. However, he made some really bad shots at the end of the 1st half, and completely tanked our offense at the beginning of the 2nd half with one bad decision after another. (also- he needs to not jump into defenders looking for the foul call)

4) Our defense won us the game. We didn't play 40 minutes of great D, but 30 was enough.

5) We played REALLY STUPID in the last 4 minutes (G's three attempt, not pulling the ball back out after misses, waiting to be fouled in the corner with 2 minutes remaining, fouling on drives (I'm looking at you Dave), etc...). I thought we were the kind of team that handles those situations well. Let's hope this was an anomaly.

6) THIS CANNOT BE IGNORED: Nolan made a huge difference for us on this title run. His defense and occasional bursts on offense lifted the team and provided another weapon. It is so huge to have him back.

7) Dave and Z provided GREAT INTERIOR DEFENSE when they were on the floor. Again, our bench was great.

... onwards to March

grossbus
03-15-2009, 03:31 PM
"Celebrate, folks! There will be plenty of time to analyze and such coming up. But enjoy this. Huge, huge accomplishment for these kids. Way to go!!!"

what he said!

RelativeWays
Wow, I used to take this thing for granted a few years ago but now it feels great to win it. This team seems to be quite in sync right now. My only hope for the rest of march is that we can get Nolan and EW back into an offensive streak. Nolan has played well in two games returning, if we get those guys contributing buckets, we could surprise some folks.

Great win, great accomplishment, we are so far away from where this team was 30 days ago its pretty amazing.

BlueintheFace
ACC CHAMPS!!!! We are not peaking in February this year baby!!! We are getting BETTER AND BETTER. Bring on the Tourney!

sagegrouse
03-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Aside from the absolutely clutch play of Scheyer and the brilliance of Henderson and Singler, EVERY PLAYER today distinguished himself. Zoubek was a revelation, in neutralizing Alabi. Paulus was a sparkplug in limited minutes. Smith -- where have you been Nolan? His play was brilliant at both ends. EWill helped silence Douglas in the first half, when it really counted. McLure and Thomas were very gritty players.

sagegrouse

jipops
03-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Clearly the Duke brand is dying.

Felt both relief and exhilaration in this one. I'm so glad these guys get to hang a banner in Cameron. After some struggles and criticisms by the self-proclaimed duke-hating "experts" over the past couple seasons, it's nice to see these guys accomplish something like this.

On to the NCAA tournament.

gwwilburn
03-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Again, nice Win. Would have loved to see more from Greg, but he played his heart out in the last part of the first half in a game where he did not really match up well with anyone. Hopefully, this carries over into the next three weekends.

godukerocks
03-15-2009, 03:34 PM
You know, I really like winning championships.

Great job guys!

CBDUKE
03-15-2009, 03:35 PM
ACC CHAMPS!! I really wanted this one in the year of the unbeatable Holes!!

tendev
03-15-2009, 03:36 PM
This was a great championship effort in all three games. We got better as the tournament went on and that is a sign of a very good team. I thought Zoubek had a great game in the first half, obviously frustrating Alabi and getting several big boards. He also is so much larger than LT that his screens are more effective, which gave our shooters more room and time to take and hit the threes.

The defense and rebounding was great. A well deserved championship and while I am hoping for a great run in the NCAAT, they can't take this one away. IT IS DUKE'S FOREVER.

hudlow
03-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Used to the the winner of the ACC tourney was a lock for a #1 seed in the NCAA.

This year should be no different.

Go Duke!

hud

Faison1
03-15-2009, 03:37 PM
What an accomplishment!!!! Way to go, guys!!

My buddy (UNC fan) and I were talking last night about what a cool feeling it must be to accomplish stuff with teammates you like being around.

And it seems these guys are friends, which makes it so much more satisfying.

So, thank you for the great ACC season, and keep up the great work!!!!

kaufmjo
03-15-2009, 03:38 PM
It feels so great to win an ACC tournament and get back to the top. The guys played a fantastic tournament and being 8 out of 9 at the end of the season is certainly a huge change from years past. Putting aside the lights out shooting throughout spurts of the first and second half, I think Zoubek's interior defense was great to see. Especially coming from a guy who has been getting steamroled in recent games - his ability to step up and contribute in the face of a matchup problem is the kind of depth we will need in the tournament. Way to go to the coaching staff as well - nice intensity and focus for last few weeks to turn the ship around.

Let's hope for getting the 6th ranking in the tournament, a strong 2 seed and likely matchup against Memphis or Pitt. Little worried about Pitt, but think we can beat either one.

InSpades
03-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Great game! Coming into the tourney we were playing geat offense, not great defense. 1st 2 games of the tourney we played great defense, not great offense. It was nice to see a combination of the 2 in the 1st half. Though I'm not sure it was so much "great offense" as "great shooting" but those 2 can be the same thing sometimes. Would be nice if we could start getting easier buckets, we shot poorly from 2-point range again but we more than made up for it from 3.

Nolan is not-so-quietly asking for his starting spot back. He might not get it but he will be seeing a lot of the court. His drives to the lane were something else and that dunk was just NASTY. Love it! The future is certainly bright w/ him and Elliot in the backcourt.

MChambers
03-15-2009, 03:39 PM
For about 35 minutes, it was pretty close to hitting on all cylinders. The last 5 were a little frustrating, but it didn't matter.

Great job on defense for most of the second half. We cut out the cheap fouls.

roywhite
03-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Great win, guys.

28-6 on the season, finished strong with great ballhandling, timely shooting, and good defense.

Congrats to Dukies everywhere on our 17th and a big congrats to this team on their 1st championship!!

PallasAthena
03-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Tremendous effort, fellows! Finished like Duke teams of old, playing keep-away and making freethrows. Could not be happier for a great group of guys. I love Dave Henderson - an unsung hero on this team . Gman gave him a great compliment - unrecognized MVP. Take this momentum forward into the big dance!:D

From Drewry? Wonder where he is today? Smiling, I bet.

dukelifer
03-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Championship games are rarely pretty and Duke relaxed a bit too much after that huge lead with 5 minutes to go- but Duke did their thing. What was nice to see is that Duke has been playing good D and solid O in the last three games- not always at the same time but now in the same game. When all three guys are on- Duke is tough to beat. Also, a ncie game for Nolan. He was aggressive and confident. That little time off has done him a world of good. Duke now has another option. Elliot hit a bit of wall in the tourney but he is still a much better player now and will give Duke options. Lance had a nice rebounding game- just needs to convert the short ones. Still Duke is playing well at the moment and they don't look tired. Right now is time to enjoy a championship- despite what the rest of the world thinks- an ACC tourney championship still means something and should give these guys some confidence.

wallyman
03-15-2009, 03:43 PM
fabulous play by almost everyone. scheyer a worthy mvp, but story of the tournament was nolan coming back and making a huge difference. if we rotate smith and williams on quick guards we can stop -- or at least slow down -- almost anyone. loved seeing them cel:)ebrate at the end. they really earned it.

arnie
03-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Aside from the absolutely clutch play of Scheyer and the brilliance of Henderson and Singler, EVERY PLAYER today distinguished himself. Zoubek was a revelation, in neutralizing Alabi. Paulus was a sparkplug in limited minutes. Smith -- where have you been Nolan? His play was brilliant at both ends. EWill helped silence Douglas in the first half, when it really counted. McLure and Thomas were very gritty players.

sagegrouse

I also though everyone that played any signficant minutes looked on top of their game. I just don't remember Paulus playing more than a minute or 2 and don't remember him being a sparkplug. Anyway, the Smith/Williams combo at the other guard is really helping this team.

roywhite
03-15-2009, 03:44 PM
It's March and we've got depth, energy and momentum!

...and an ACC Championship!

DukeUsul
03-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Here's to Brian Zoubek, one of the keys to the game. His first-half D was critical to neutralizing FSU's offense. Thanks Brian!

moonpie23
03-15-2009, 03:45 PM
awesome......absolutley awesome....beating the team that beat the holes....tied with UNC now for most ACC rings....

come on selection committee, do your thing...

:)

BlueintheFace
03-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Here's a weird stat. Kyle made 5 fg today and 4 of them were threes (4-10). He was 1-6 otherwise and shot zero free throws. Weird.

Hancock 4 Duke
Can someone tell me when they will tell me the All Tournament players? I t must be At least Hendo and Scheyer.

InSpades
awesome......absolutley awesome....beating the team that beat the holes....tied with UNC now for most ACC rings....

come on selection committee, do your thing...

:)

For the record, that was our 11th win over an NCAA tournament team (assuming Maryland makes it). Memphis has 2. We beat 2 of the 3 teams that beat Memphis, they didn't beat any of the teams that beat us.

InSpades
03-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Can someone tell me when they will tell me the All Tournament players? I t must be At least Hendo and Scheyer.

Dunno, but it's a crime if Singler isn't added to that list. If I had to guess it would be G, Jon, Kyle, Douglas and Vazquez.

diveonthefloor
03-15-2009, 03:53 PM
I must agree....Giving Memphis a #1 seed would be a friggn joke.

On the other hand, I would love to be a #2 seed in the same region if Memphis is #1.....

elvis14
03-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Duke Blue Devils - 2009 ACC Champions

I love the way that sounds. That's 8 of the last 11 for the Blue Devils.

chrisheery
03-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Never thought I would say this: Zoubek was incredible today. He did everything I have ever wanted to see him do. He got strong rebounds, boxed out, set solid picks (without leaning his leg in), and played GREAT interior defense. He even (finally) showed on a pick out top and then sprinted back to the lane. Amazing that someone finally told him to do it (or he finally did it after being told 10000 times).

Also, Greg Paulus is a stud. Honestly, he could play in these games. He has value as a shooter on this team. But, the team was playing well without him, which is fine. The reason he is a stud is that he is never sulking or thinking about himself (at least not outwardly). He cheers his teammates on. When he goes in, he doesn't play it cool, he works as hard as he ever has. His presence on this team makes everyone else better. His commitment to the team is a great example and really seems to define exactly what Coach K and Duke are all about.

bleedingblue
03-15-2009, 03:55 PM
All ACC tourney team Jon,Kyle,G,Toney Douglas, Tyler Hasbeen. Lets give some props to Nolan Smith in the last two games WOW!!!

devildeac
03-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Dunno, but it's a crime if Singler isn't added to that list. If I had to guess it would be G, Jon, Kyle, Douglas and Vazquez.

Don't have the 'hole list but guess who else made it? G, Jon and Kyle are correct. Douglas, too, I think. (it's hans, of course)

RepoMan
03-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Just an all around great team performance.

With Nolan back and our three top players playing at such a high level, we have to feel great.

It feels great to be back on top of the ACC again

captmojo
03-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Just when I thought it was safe to offer praise to Reid for what seemed to be cleaned-up play, he goes and throws a flagrant elbow at Kyle...no call. Shocking. I am deeply embarrassed. :o

roywhite
03-15-2009, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqVtPmRYYkQ

We Are the Champions, my friends!

MarkD83
03-15-2009, 04:05 PM
After the first half of the BC game on Friday I was afraid the team was losing confidence. After today they must be riding high. As Jumbo pointed out, enjoy this. This team gets to hang a banner and gets to call themselves ACC Champions forever!!!!!!

Congrats 2009 ACC Champions!!!!

bleedingblue
03-15-2009, 04:08 PM
:We will be a 2 seed in the same regional with Memphis as the last of the 1 seeds. I like our chances, let's get it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

jpfrizzle
03-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Today we had The Mojo

A game well played !

Congrats on the ACC Championship ! !

Go DUKE ! ! ! !

Sandman
03-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Great bench play from Dave, Brian, and Nolan!! Add in Greg and we're legitimately a 9-deep team. It's terrific to see this team really coming together and maturing, reaching its peak right at tournament time!! GO DUKE!

JDev
03-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Duke has to be the only team that had to beat three NCAA Tournament-bound teams to win their conference tournament. Outstanding achievement!

micah75
03-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Way to go Duke!!! What a tourney, what a game!!! Only 4 turnovers??? "Value the basketball", as Mike Patrick was saying at the beginning of the telecast.

MAGIC FINGERS!!!
http://i43.tinypic.com/1zez0rb.jpg

ice-9
03-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd also like to add that we're peaking at the end of the season for the first time in a handful of years. I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances to make a deep run. How sweet it is!

Amen brother!! (Or sister!)

Devil in the Blue Dress
What a great combination this team showed in the championship game: balance, tough play, contributions from all who played, smart substitutions, winning attitude.

Looking forward to seeing the brackets filled in this evening and finding out where the next game will be.

flyingdutchdevil
We were simply fantastic. There were very few parts of the game where we didn't perform well. This team is getting better, and it's at the perfect time!

A few comments:

1) Nolan makes this team so much better. Even though we were winning when he was out, his presence is clearly felt.
2) As said many many many times, Coach K is a genius for putting Scheyer at the point. He is clearly more comfortable there and our turnovers are way down. We only had 4 tonight!
3) I like it when G gets mad. He plays incredible that way
4) McClure is an awesome passer. We know his defense is great, but his passing is so underrated.
5) I really like FSU this year. They are my favorite team outside of my Blue Devils. I think they play so damn hard. Nearly every team would have given up when they are down 17 with 3 minutes to go. They never backed down until the final 30 seconds or so when it was completely useless. Also, Toney Douglas is the man. Classy, smart, hustles, and puts his team first.

FerryFor50
Duke has to be the only team that had to beat three NCAA Tournament-bound teams to win their conference tournament. Outstanding achievement!

To be fair, those tourny bound teams were hardly the ACC cream of the crop.

Duke was very fortunate to have the path to the championship that they did - not having to face Clemson, Wake or a full strength UNC team.

roywhite
03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
To be fair, those tourny bound teams were hardly the ACC cream of the crop.

Duke was very fortunate to have the path to the championship that they did - not having to face Clemson, Wake or a full strength UNC team.

Oh, please...

gumbomoop
03-15-2009, 04:21 PM
I must agree....Giving Memphis a #1 seed would be a friggn joke.

On the other hand, I would love to be a #2 seed in the same region if Memphis is #1.....

There are 6 teams that might justifiably be given a 1-seed. It won't be a crime against humanity if (a) Memphis gets a 1, and (b) Duke and UConn get 2's.

Most interesting speculation I've heard, but don't believe, is putting Carolina and 2-seed UConn together in East (Boston) to sell tickets to an almost certain Elite 8 showdown. Much more likely is Memphis/UConn together out West, and though it makes no diff who's 1, who's 2, it's likely M 1, UConn 2.

Though Duke can make a late, and legitimate, case for a 1, I'm 90% sure we're a 2, and bracketed with either UL or Pitt. Choose your poison. I choose UL, but I suspect it's because I've thought all season that Pitt, with 3 excellent players, was biggest challenge to UNC, and because I've really not taken UL seriously as a top 3-4 team, given their offensive and general inconsistency, and that horrendous, repeat, horrendous loss at ND. Still, UL and Pitt are both poison.

Maybe, just maybe, we got antidote in end-season toughness in face of brutal end-season games. Hats off to you semi-loony optimists who thought on Feb 20 that we'd win 7 or our last 8, every game of which could have gone either way. You're all-conference champion semi-loonies, or optimists, or prognosticators. At that day-after-St. Johns-moment, I'd have settled for a bit less. Shame on me.

jpfrizzle
03-15-2009, 04:23 PM
On another note:
We now have 2 G-mans'. One is a legend, the other is on his way to be one.
"gerald(G-man2) stole my nickname" ~G-man1

Houston
03-15-2009, 04:24 PM
I like the way this team is trending. I like the fact that they are finding ways to win. Since EW became a starter, Duke has won 8 of 9. They have momentum and confindence heading into the tournament unlike the previous two years. Congratulations to the players and the staff on a job well done.

bjornolf
03-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Congrats, guys! What a gutty performance all three days! Scheyer was amazing this weekend.

I think we all owe Greg Paulus a big thank you too. He's been a real man through all this. He could have torn this team apart, but he did the right thing and supported his teammates and took what he could get, and we're a better team for it.

FerryFor50
03-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Oh, please...

Do you disagree? Do you think that Maryland, BC and FSU were the best the ACC had to offer?

I'm just as happy about winning as the next Duke fan, but I'm not allowing myself to be fooled into thinking we took down the best of the best. I'm just glad we won it and are moving into the tourny on a high note.

miramar
03-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Do you remember when some of the topics du jour were that Duke tanks in March, our recruiting can't match ol' Roy's, Coach K is spending too much time on the Olympics, it's a shame that Hasbeen turned out to be a better recruit than McBob, we rely too much on the three, Duke's not that good any more, the team isn't very athletic, Paulus doesn't apply ball pressure, Kyle is playing too many minutes, Henderson is not developing quickly enough, or that we can't match up with big teams, athletic teams, not to mention big athletic teams? Forgive me if I've left anything out.

In the midst of it all, Coach kept tinkering and kept saying I like where we are as a team. Sounds good to me.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Do you remember when some of the topics du jour were that Duke tanks in March, our recruiting can't match ol' Roy's, Coach K is spending too much time on the Olympics, it's a shame that Hasbeen turned out to be a better recruit than McBob, we rely too much on the three, Duke's not that good any more, the team isn't very athletic, Paulus doesn't apply ball pressure, Kyle is playing too many minutes, Henderson is not developing quickly enough, or that we can't match up with big teams, athletic teams, not to mention big athletic teams? Forgive me if I've left anything out.

In the midst of it all, Coach kept tinkering and kept saying I like where we are as a team. Sounds good to me.

K gets paid millions of dollars to keep tinkering, especially when he doesn't like where we were as a team. We spend our free time chatting about basketball. Most of those topics were worth discussing (and many were based in genuine issues) when they were du jour. Today, let's focus on celebrating this great accomplishment. LET'S GO DUKE! :)

DukeDevilDeb
03-15-2009, 04:37 PM

... for showing us how ludicrous we sound when we terp. I do venture to say that, after this championship, I hope the student section in Cameron is ALWAYS FULL next year. It wasn't this year, not even late in the season, and this team deserved better than that!

gumbomoop
03-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Forgot to add to my just posted bracket speculation: We all know who the 6 possible 1's are, so an interesting issue is, who are the other two 2's? The answer must be: it's between Mich St, Kansas, and Oklahoma, right? So my fear is that UNC will get either M St or K, and that also Okla slips to a 3, to be bracketed with...... "family" relation Duke. Questions about Griffin's recovery, maybe a late-season swoon, plus many were never convinced Okla was legit top 3 anyhow.

Not that any of you need reminding, but we have to assume tough games in 2d round and Sweet 16, before Elite 8. Facing Griffin/Capel in Sweet 16 makes me unhappy. And I tell you, Willie Warren is a player, and Austin Johnson is solid at point. Griffin is NPOY.

roywhite
03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Do you disagree? Do you think that Maryland, BC and FSU were the best the ACC had to offer?

I'm just as happy about winning as the next Duke fan, but I'm not allowing myself to be fooled into thinking we took down the best of the best. I'm just glad we won it and are moving into the tourny on a high note.

Since you asked, yes, I disagree. There is no asterisk on this championship. Duke played 3 tough opponents in the space of 43 hours and won them all.

We beat a very good Boston College Team. We beat Maryland, which beat Wake Forest. And we beat Florida State, which beat UNC.

You don't have to beat every team in the bracket to win a championship. You beat the teams you face.

I hate to see you try to minimize or qualify this achievement. It is the type of post I might expect from Chapel Hill.

Faustus
03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Very nice to be ACC Champs in the same conference that has the Greatest Team Of All Time in it, isn't it? Never thought Duke would have worn the home uniforms all the way through this year. Sweet. Congratulations, and to all those who went there and got tickets for today's final and made noise.

And I still don't miss Billy Packer (nice to have a commentator instead like G-man who praises what players accomplished rather than excoriating mistakes of others).

dukeman28428
03-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Oh, please...

I agree with the "oh please"

Duke beat three good teams to win the tournament and it does my heart good to see a Sunday without light blue all around. The UNC fans that did stay did so to cheer against Duke. Congrats Duke players and coaches for a great win #17 ACC tournament title. :)

devildeac
03-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Had to look at the box score several times: 4 TO. Are you kidding me? That was amazing!

MB in MD
03-15-2009, 04:52 PM
What a gratifying win, and what a payoff for hard work. I've been waiting for us to put offense and defense together, and today they did. Big props to Z who was a serious defensive spark. Hard to call something that happens 4 minutes into the game a turning point, but his block on Alabi after Alabi had had a couple of easy touches inside really changed things up. Solid contributions from everyone, but of course Jon was MVP, both of the game and the tourney.

Outrebounding the "NBA front line" and doubling them on the offensive glass was astounding, but the most amazing statistic to me was the 4 turnovers, one of which was a cheap OF on Jon (which probably shouldn't have been called based on other no-calls in the game.) And this against a terrific defensive team.

Enjoy the win guys, rest up, and get ready for whomever the bracket gods send against us. It won't be a cakewalk, but we should fear no one.

Indoor66
03-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Had to look at the box score several times: 4 TO. Are you kidding me? That was amazing!

Also, we won the rebounding battle.

CBDUKE
03-15-2009, 04:57 PM

I also disagree. The tournament is about beating the teams that survive. Not our fault that Wake and Unc couldn't win. WE DID!!

DukeCO2009
03-15-2009, 04:59 PM
My favorite photo from the game:

http://a.espncdn.com/media/apphoto/1f41f3b7-9c21-477e-bb6c-ecfaa9fb6ad2.jpg

Indoor66
03-15-2009, 04:59 PM
I also disagree. The tournament is about beating the teams that survive. Not our fault that Wake and Unc couldn't win. WE DID!!

Well said. You can only beat the team you play. unc & Wake had a chance to show up and play us but they could not. Not our problem or fault. We are ACC Champions!

JStuart
03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey Faustus,
I think the nets from today are far more valuable than the 'unbalanced' nets that Roy wanted cut down last week. Whattaya think?

Very nice to be ACC Champs in the same conference that has the Greatest Team Of All Time in it, isn't it? Never thought Duke would have worn the home uniforms all the way through this year. Sweet. Congratulations, and to all those who went there and got tickets for today's final and made noise.

And I still don't miss Billy Packer (nice to have a commentator instead like G-man who praises what players accomplished rather than excoriating mistakes of others).

terrih
03-15-2009, 05:06 PM
DukeCO2009
- I saw that picture too and LOVE it. I think it is front page worthy!

SMO
03-15-2009, 05:06 PM

Let's not asterisk this championship. We beat the teams that beat the best. If Pitt wins the NCAA tournament having never played UNC, will their fans pee all over their championship?

Zeke
03-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Really loved how Zoubek took Alabi out of the game. He could have been a game changer if he'd been allowed to play against Singlar. Z has real promise. So sorry he hasn't had more of a chance.

lmb
03-15-2009, 05:13 PM
I love that the entire team contributed to today's win and the other wins this weekend. It feels like they're hitting on all cylinders.

This championship seems so precious. I didn't think I had gotten spoiled from the success earlier this decade, but I've come to find that I had. Today's win felt as good as any in a long time and I'm so proud of this team!!!!

I hope Duke Blue Planet has lots of good video of the post-game stuff.

FerryFor50
03-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Let's not asterisk this championship. We beat the teams that beat the best. If Pitt wins the NCAA tournament having never played UNC, will their fans pee all over their championship?

I'm not asterik-ing it. I think it's great that we won. But I'm trying to be realistic; we didn't play the best, which my only gripe. I would have loved another shot at UNC. When we beat UNC last year without Lawson, it was still a great win, but it was still a win without Lawson.

watzone
03-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Happy, happy, joy, joy, giddy goody gum drops. Giddilicious!

SMO
03-15-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm not asterik-ing it. I think it's great that we won. But I'm trying to be realistic; we didn't play the best, which my only gripe. I would have loved another shot at UNC. When we beat UNC last year without Lawson, it was still a great win, but it was still a win without Lawson.

I gotcha. Let's be happy with good enough to win this time of year!

chrishoke
03-15-2009, 05:30 PM

OK Debbie Downer.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

dukestheheat
03-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Whooo hooooo! Champs!

The whole team came together starting at the St. John's game, and they have jelled! I am so proud of this team and thank you for giving to us the great memories of this year.

The bumper sticker goes on tomorrow, or as soon as I can get over to the bookstore to snag one. I'll probably do a few victory laps around Chapel Hell.

I want the team to really savor the taste of this particular championship and enjoy their accomplishment and the accolades of this moment.

After that, it's onward to even greater things in the NCAAs!

Let's go DUKE!

dth.

FerryFor50
03-15-2009, 05:32 PM
The funny part is Carolina fans who act like the ACC tourny doesn't matter.

Is that why they hang all those ACC Tourny banners from the Dean Dome rafters? Because they "don't matter"? :D

-bdbd
03-15-2009, 05:37 PM
What makes it so special for me was that I really wasn't "expecting" this one. "Distinct possibility?" Of course. But not "expected."

No shame in beating the teams that were in front of us. That's more than 11 other ACC teams can claim. And don't forget, WE LIKELY BEAT THREE NCAA-BOUND TEAMS IN THE ACCT! Great effort guys!

Gotta say this team has shown tremendous development/transformation and proabably "bounce-back" or "heart" through the course of the season. As much as any in several years for us. Lots to be very proud of...

As for seeds, not very much discussion on the various other NCAA/MBB boards about Duke being a possible #1 seed. All discussion seems focused on which 4 of the big-5 will get it (UNC-ch, Pitt, Louis., UCONN, Memphis -- btw that's my personal rank order of those 5). We are an obvious #6 overall, though could move up to #5 overall, esp if UCONN gets the fourth #1 seed. But my money is on us getting paired in a region with Louisville -- fine by me as I think that's our second-best matchup out of the 5 (after Memphis)...but we have 3 games to worry about who we might see in a Regional final. And I see the last two #2's as being OK (with Griffin back) and MSU. KA could slip in though - would love to see them paired in the UNC region. We'll see shortly.

I love this time of year! This team seems to have as much confidence as any Duke squad in several years going into the big dance. Hmmm.

Any good sights to see in Detroit?? ;-) (Yeah, I know, one step at a time...)

Grab up those Greensboro tix for rounds 1 & 2 kids!!

-BDBD :D

RainingThrees
03-15-2009, 05:50 PM
The funny part is Carolina fans who act like the ACC tourny doesn't matter.

Is that why they hang all those ACC Tourny banners from the Dean Dome rafters? Because they "don't matter"? :D

I hear you man. I get that all the time from tar heels.

MChambers
03-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Never thought it would be a good thing for Scheyer to lead the team in turnovers!

Rogue
03-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Since we all go back to a period of time.. mine is '63-'64 season,, all we need to remember is #17 SEVENTEEN ACC CHAMPIONSHIPS.

CONGRATS 2009 ACC MENS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS

MonitorMom
03-15-2009, 06:23 PM
I love that the entire team contributed to today's win and the other wins this weekend. It feels like they're hitting on all cylinders.

This championship seems so precious. I didn't think I had gotten spoiled from the success earlier this decade, but I've come to find that I had. Today's win felt as good as any in a long time and I'm so proud of this team!!!!

I hope Duke Blue Planet has lots of good video of the post-game stuff.

I'm sure BluePlanet will do a great job. Until then there are about 10 super videos to watch including the guys dancing. It's amazing to hear them all giving each other credit. Listen to Jon's post game presser on MVP. It'll warm a parent's heart!

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_basketball/

RainingThrees
03-15-2009, 07:18 PM
That dunk by Nolan has to be one of the best plays. I thought it was G at first because I didn't think Nolan could get up that high. It was nasty!!

Waynne
03-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Our team's biggest win in three years. Everyone played well. Let's hope it corries over to the Big Dance.

Lord Ash
03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Fantastic win. It is great to win the ACC in what was supposed to be UNCs year.

I was very interested to see us shoot a few times at about 4 minutes left when we were expected to wind the clock down; in a strange way, watching us shoot and miss a few and seeing them hit it made me MISS stall ball, which I usually cover my eyes during!:) How ironic, eh? Still, I suppose if Gerald had hit that 3 I would have just said "See?! Forget stalling!"

Great tournament, a wonderful cap to the year.

roywhite
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Fantastic win. It is great to win the ACC in what was supposed to be UNCs year.

I was very interested to see us shoot a few times at about 4 minutes left when we were expected to wind the clock down; in a strange way, watching us shoot and miss a few and seeing them hit it made me MISS stall ball, which I usually cover my eyes during!:) How ironic, eh? Still, I suppose if Gerald had hit that 3 I would have just said "See?! Forget stalling!"

Great tournament, a wonderful cap to the year.

All due respect, my Lord, the best is yet to come. :)

dukemsu
03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Tremendous performance. I came out of my seat when Nolan did one of his spins. Nolan being added to the backcourt contributes to the many matchup problems we can give a lot of teams.

Not much else I can say that's different from what everyone one else has said. Just a great championship moment that affirms that K is not the old dog that can't learn a few new tricks.

LGD.

dukemsu

MarkD83
03-15-2009, 08:43 PM
"I'm not asterik-ing it. I think it's great that we won. But I'm trying to be realistic; we didn't play the best, which my only gripe. I would have loved another shot at UNC. When we beat UNC last year without Lawson, it was still a great win, but it was still a win without Lawson." Ferryfor50

This whole argument about injuries is pointless. Bob Ryan from the Boston Globe mentioned that UNC would have gone undefeated if Marcus Ginyard had not been injured. Well he was and any team that makes excuses is bound to lose.

ChemGod
03-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Yes, let me add to the disagereement. We did indeed beat the best the ACC had to offer, in more ways than one.

This is a single elimination tournament, and it is as much a matter of of attrition as individual matchups. We survived, they did not. We BEAT the teams that were able to sit the highest ranked ACC teams down. This is the essence of the tournament structure.

I might also point out that Lawson played against us, when he probably should not have...why? Because if was DUKE! If they got beat because, in a major portion, they did not have Lawson, then in a very real way we DID beat them. I would have prefered that we got to do it ourselves, but there is something smugly satisfying that they did not even survive to be ABLE to contest us in person.

We were tougher, more disciplined, and endured what they could not.

No reason to caveat our win. Really. Competition, in nature or in the arena, is all about survival. There is no second place.

diesel
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I am really glad to see Brian Zoubek getting some love in this post mortem of the game. I was really impressed by his play. I'm inspired to hope that we have finally seen the light at the end of this tunnel.

I want to say something that I haven't seen mentioned by anybody else in this discussion. This may have been the ACC final, but I thought it was the most lopsided win that I can remember in the season. After about the 10 minute mark in the first half, I thought we were just toying with them.

And I'm glad someone else saw the elbow Reid deliberately put into Kyle's face at about the midpoint of the second half. Reid seems to have a lock on membership in the All Punk ACC team.

AtlDuke72
03-15-2009, 09:38 PM
I agree with the "oh please"

Duke beat three good teams to win the tournament and it does my heart good to see a Sunday without light blue all around. The UNC fans that did stay did so to cheer against Duke. Congrats Duke players and coaches for a great win #17 ACC tournament title. :)

I was at the game and tip my hat to the Noles and their fans - very classy. Just a great day. One of the best moments was the mass exodus by virtually all of the Carolina fans when we went us by 20 with about 7 minutes to play. Lemmings. Can't wait to see them when the Heels go down in the tournament.

KrazyKfan
03-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Great games by Singler and Zoubek in the first half.

G played an excellent game throughout.

Scheyer's free throws were HUGE and his ability to guide the team -- what, only three Duke turnovers? -- was key. Scheyer my MOTM.

What are you talking about. G scored a bunch of points, but he would take horrible shots at some points in the game and then follow the bad shots with horrible defensive plays.

Singler was great offensively in that one run, but was cold until the end of the 2nd half. He was terrific defensively throughout.

That being said, if we want to make it past the juggernaut of Pitt, G better step it up as a TEAM player.

P. S. Scheyer is amazing. Nothing negative to say about him except give the ball to him more often.

Newton_14
03-15-2009, 10:01 PM
How Sweet It Is!!

2009 ACC Champions. Congrats to the team. After everything they have been through the past 2 seasons, I thought this group really deserved a championship. They have truly persevered through not only on court struggles but their careers have come at a time when the whole world it seems hates Duke. What a great way to silence the masses!

I am very happy for the team, and especially for Nolan. The dunk was the announcement that he is officially back and will be heard from. Also thought it was great to see Zoubek make key contributions in a championship game. He actually forced Hamilton to go small or at least "smaller" which played right into Duke's hands.

This one was special folks! We all need to relish this title!

Go Duke!

mgtr
03-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Others have posted that we didn't play the best (Wake, UNC). I agree, we let others do the heavy lifting and then we whacked them. But that is OK, that is way such a tournament works. Survive and advance -- it doesn't matter who you beat, just that you survive and advance. And we did! Go Duke!
My wife and I were properly attired in our Duke raiment, including socks, and glasses for adult beverages, setting them on Duke coasters. We are convinced that is why we won. However, we are in no way superstitious.:D

sivartrenrag
03-15-2009, 10:09 PM
The best thing about this is walking around town and hearing UNC fans saying "yeah well we play for the better titles. The ACC tourney doesn't matter. Blah blah blah we're sore losers."

Congratulations to the team on a great win. It feels so good to win the ACC tourney and gives us great momentum going into the big dance. Here's to hoping all the reporters keep counting us out and we surprise some of the "experts."

BlueintheFace
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
The coolest thing of all, two of Coach K's grandchildren celebrated with the team on the court. They were both wearing Paulus jerseys. Duke is an awesome family.

onepresent
03-15-2009, 10:20 PM

Carolina didn't have to face Wake or Clemson either. Was their path fortunate? (sorry, late response, but had to point that out)

I'm so very proud of this team, winning 8 of the last 9 games, and a championship to boot.

RainingThrees
03-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I would also like to note that Nolan looked comfortable running the point when he came in. The games leading up to the injury he looked a little tenative.

jv001
03-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Way to go guys! This is one tough team and we are led by 3 terrific players in Kyle, Jon and Gerald. Now we have Nolan back playing like he was at the beginning of the year. His confidence is way up. You can see it in his step. We can now play defense against teams with quick guards, because Nolan and Elliot are just flat out quick. Jon has been terrific with the ball in his hands. Gerald and Kyle are as good as any two players on any team. So I am really excited about our chances in the NCAA Tournament this year. Oh for those that are complaining that we did not beat the best in the ACC tournament. Well we did have the toughest schedule in the regular season (unbalanced schedule). With Clemson's schedule we may have won the regular season and the tournament. I'll settle for the two tournament titles. Go Duke!

Deladev
03-15-2009, 10:33 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR TEAM FOR A FABULOUS GAME TODAY AND FOR BEING THE ACC CHAMPIONS !!!!!

DO YOU THINK IT'S OKAY FOR OUR GUYS TO HAVE (a little) SWAGGER NOW?

DELADEV FOR DUKE

KrazyKfan
03-15-2009, 10:35 PM
No, because when we get swagger we stop playing defense and allow teams to cut a twenty point lead to ten

camion
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
I just watched the first half for the second time, savoring every minute. I thought this was going to be a tough tough physical game, but Florida State never could get close enough to pound on us. This was about as easy, physically speaking, as a game with them could be.

Douglas is always a load, but we really took the rest of the team out of their game and even made Douglas look uncomfortable. Scheyer deserves special kudos, but everyone played good ball. Gerald's shot was sweet, Kyle played outstanding D, Nolan is looking gooooood. Elliot, Zoubs, McClure and Thomas all made good contributions.

Congrats to the Devils on a great win and another championship.

mapei
03-15-2009, 10:50 PM
This was an immensely satisfying win, moreso than the first two rounds where it seemed like we got outplayed for stretches. Today we took it to them. Love the return to form of Smith and Zou, love the steady excellence by Jon.

Still, something weird happens to Duke in late-game situations, especially on the free throw line - and there was also G's shoulder-block going to the basket, a shot or two jacked up early in the clock, and Jon's attempt to knock his defender out of the way to bring the ball up the court. Not to mention being trapped in the corner twice. We seem to lose our poise late when we have a lead.

devildeac
03-15-2009, 11:03 PM
This was an immensely satisfying win, moreso than the first two rounds where it seemed like we got outplayed for stretches. Today we took it to them. Love the return to form of Smith and Zou, love the steady excellence by Jon.

Still, something weird happens to Duke in late-game situations, especially on the free throw line - and there was also G's shoulder-block going to the basket, a shot or two jacked up early in the clock, and Jon's attempt to knock his defender out of the way to bring the ball up the court. Not to mention being trapped in the corner twice. We seem to lose our poise late when we have a lead.

I did not watch it again but, IIRC, I think G and Nolan took 2 of those shots and I think they were pretty wide open looks from just outside the line and not desperation heaves at the end of the shot clock. If they go down, they are killer shots, and they way we were shooting from 3, I thought they were good decisions. On Jon's play, the ref had the f$u player confused with hansbro'.:rolleyes:;) We still only had 4 TO and burned our timeouts quickly in the last 2 minutes but I don't think we lost any possessions except that charge. FSU scored 48 points in the 2nd half and shot 18/26 (!) and we did miss a couple FT that would have made it a bit more comfortable but were about 73% for the game.

mapei
03-15-2009, 11:13 PM
If I were even more nerdy than I actually am, I would generate some stats on key players' late-game FT percentage with a lead vs. usual average. It sure feels like there's some moderate choking going on, though it could just be my own anxiety that makes me think that.

devildeac
03-15-2009, 11:20 PM
If I were even more nerdy than I actually am, I would generate some stats on key players' late-game FT percentage with a lead vs. usual average. It sure feels like there's some moderate choking going on, though it could just be my own anxiety that makes me think that.

Might be very time-consuming to do. Today, I think G was 3/6 at one time and made his last 2. Jon was 8/9 prior to the foul-fest and made 5/6 down the stretch, I think. Dave was 1/2, so he was above his season average:o;).

missfinch
03-15-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm sure BluePlanet will do a great job. Until then there are about 10 super videos to watch including the guys dancing. It's amazing to hear them all giving each other credit. Listen to Jon's post game presser on MVP. It'll warm a parent's heart!

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_basketball/

Just watched all the post-game interviews and they were great. Does anyone know the nature of Greg's comments to Vitale that he was asked about?:confused:

BlueintheFace
03-15-2009, 11:45 PM
This video has me grinning like a fool...

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/4743646/

shereec
03-15-2009, 11:54 PM
and I think I smiled the whole way back. Most of the rest of you have already expressed my views on the whole weekend. Great job, Devils!
GO DUKE!!

Greg_Newton
03-16-2009, 02:00 AM
I would just like to express how happy I am that we still have another year of Jon Scheyer to look forward to. He is an absolute joy to watch play (not many players "get" basketball quite like he does), and he could not be a more likable, positive kid. I'm not sure whether his long term prospects lie in playing, coaching, analyzing, or something else, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing him in some respect for a long time. Hopefully including six more games this year!

COYS
03-16-2009, 02:18 AM
I would just like to express how happy I am that we still have another year of Jon Scheyer to look forward to. He is an absolute joy to watch play (not many players "get" basketball quite like he does), and he could not be a more likable, positive kid. I'm not sure whether his long term prospects lie in playing, coaching, analyzing, or something else, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing him in some respect for a long time. Hopefully including six more games this year!

I second that. His lack of dunks have kept him under the radar for most of his career . . . even for a lot of Duke fans. For him not to even get an honorable mention for all-ACC just underscores this. However, he is just the man out there on the court. When he's shooting well and combines 20+ point games with his defense, leadership, and savvy, he's one of the best guards in the nation and takes our team to a whole new level.

hustleplays
03-16-2009, 02:55 AM
To second that, here is FSU's coach's comments on Jon,

"I think he's probably the reason why they are where they are," Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton said. "That was a great move, moving him to the point guard. He settles them down. He makes you pay every time you make a defensive mistake. He has great court vision, he moves the ball, makes great decisions; he hits all his free throws. ...

"He has a calming effect on their team that allows them to play at the pace they like. He doesn't turn the ball over and he is really truly a quarterback out there on the floor. He's in control of the system when he's running the point."

bjornolf
03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I thought the ACCT was great preparation for Duke heading into the NCAAT. In three days, we beat a 7 seed, a 10 seed, and a 5 seed. And they were three teams with different styles, and we beat them in different ways. We won a 50-50 nail-biter, pulled away right at the end, and blew a team out and protected the lead. We won with defense and we won with offense and we won with pure moxy. We showed flexibility.

These are just the kinds of games we'll probably face in the coming weeks in the first few rounds of the tournament.

As someone pointed out, we didn't play Wake or UNC in these games, but we definitely played the kinds of teams and the kinds of games we'll see headed into the sweet 16 and elite 8, and I think we showed that we can handle them. We may not win, obviously, but we'll be prepared. I like our chances at making at least the elite 8, I don't care what those talking heads on ESPN say.

MChambers
03-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I am really glad to see Brian Zoubek getting some love in this post mortem of the game. I was really impressed by his play. I'm inspired to hope that we have finally seen the light at the end of this tunnel.

I want to say something that I haven't seen mentioned by anybody else in this discussion. This may have been the ACC final, but I thought it was the most lopsided win that I can remember in the season. After about the 10 minute mark in the first half, I thought we were just toying with them.

And I'm glad someone else saw the elbow Reid deliberately put into Kyle's face at about the midpoint of the second half. Reid seems to have a lock on membership in the All Punk ACC team.

Zoubek was huge! (I've wanted to write that all year, of course.)

Reid should have gotten a foul on that play. Can't figure out why he didn't.

dukelifer
03-16-2009, 09:42 AM

One can not underestimate the importance of winning the ACC tourney was to these guys. It puts them with the other Duke team's of the past and gives them a piece of history that no one can take away. It is not easy playing for Duke- to live up to the lofty expectations - to take everyone's best shot because beating Duke still looks good on your NCAA resume. This team is playing together and are finding a real identity. Winning something big is a good feeling and I am sure this team will be focused going forward. I am not sure they can run the Big East guantlet that is in front of them- but sometimes tourneys don't play out as you expect- just look at the past weekend. This team has grown up in the past few weeks and that is always great to see.

dukelifer
03-16-2009, 09:47 AM
To second that, here is FSU's coach's comments on Jon,

"I think he's probably the reason why they are where they are," Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton said. "That was a great move, moving him to the point guard. He settles them down. He makes you pay every time you make a defensive mistake. He has great court vision, he moves the ball, makes great decisions; he hits all his free throws. ...

"He has a calming effect on their team that allows them to play at the pace they like. He doesn't turn the ball over and he is really truly a quarterback out there on the floor. He's in control of the system when he's running the point."
Not only this- which is true- but he likes to have the ball in his hands more- it makes him more comfortable on the floor. He is not a great spot up shooter when he is waiting for another player to find him. But when he is making decisions and controlling tempo- it keeps him from thinking too much about his shot and his O has improved significantly.

DukieInKansas
03-16-2009, 09:50 AM

The best part of this was the huge smile on GP's face while they were all dancing. What a great representative of the University.

Indoor66
03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
I'll settle for the two tournament titles. Go Duke!

Actually, it will be 3 championships for the year:

2K Sports Classic Benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer

Neals384
03-16-2009, 03:16 PM

And USC, which beat Cal, UCLA, Az St.

1999ballboy
03-16-2009, 03:55 PM
This was our bench's best performance all season. Nolan, Zoubs, and Dave were all huge in this game. Has anyone watching on Raycom noticed how much G-Man likes McClure? He won't shut up about him! Not that I mind at all, since I'm a big McClure fan myself and he was terrific in the tournament.