PDA

View Full Version : Jonny Flynn

Faison1
03-15-2009, 10:26 AM
In discussing the weekend's games with my wife (Carolina Grad), we spoke of how much I admire Jonny Flynn. He seems to have so much heart, talent, desire, and positive energy. Listening to his interviews, with the way he spoke, and manner in which he held himself, I told my wife he should have gone to Duke.

She laughed when I said that, but really, I assume that if any kid is talented, smart, well-spoken, they should end up at Duke. I guess that's a testament to the "brand" K has been so successful in building.

Amongst the other kids that have made an impression on me, particularly because of this weekend's performances, I would have to include:

Toney Douglas (said he was so happy he was about to start crying.....that's awesome, and I am truly happy for the guy)
Tyrese Rice (how can you not like that kid)
No one from Carolina (except maybe Ellington.....I'm pretty happy Psycho T didn't break the scoring record at the ACC Tourney....game stoppage avoided)

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-15-2009, 10:47 AM
In discussing the weekend's games with my wife (Carolina Grad), we spoke of how much I admire Jonny Flynn. He seems to have so much heart, talent, desire, and positive energy. Listening to his interviews, with the way he spoke, and manner in which he held himself, I told my wife he should have gone to Duke.

She laughed when I said that, but really, I assume that if any kid is talented, smart, well-spoken, they should end up at Duke. I guess that's a testament to the "brand" K has been so successful in building.

Amongst the other kids that have made an impression on me, particularly because of this weekend's performances, I would have to include:

Toney Douglas (said he was so happy he was about to start crying.....that's awesome, and I am truly happy for the guy)
Tyrese Rice (how can you not like that kid)
No one from Carolina (except maybe Ellington.....I'm pretty happy Psycho T didn't break the scoring record at the ACC Tourney....game stoppage avoided)

Every year I develop a severe dislike for opposing ACC players as we play them...I would say my top 5 this year were...

1.Flopsbrough
2.Chas McFarland
3.Ryan Reid
4.Danny Green
5.Terrence Oglesby

As much as I begin to detest other ACC teams and other ACC players, I could never develop hard feelings for Toney Douglas. He plays his tail off and goes about it with a quiet confidence. I can't help but like the guy...

Jonny Flynn came off really sincere last night. He brought up his teammates every other sentence when he was interviewed. You always have to like that. That kid will be remembered forever for that game and deservedly so...

I really like Tyrese Rice, too. I can't believe he didn't take the last shot on Friday night. Him and Toney Douglas were the two must clutch players in the ACC this year.

Wander
03-15-2009, 10:53 AM
My favorite "team" this year, regardless of who they actually play for and without just listing the five Duke starters, would like this:

G Johnny Flynn
G Steph Curry
G Grevis Vasquez
F Kyle Singler
C Dejuan Blair

I know, I know... I used to hate Vasquez too, but I've slowly changed my mind over the years.

Faison1
03-15-2009, 10:59 AM
My favorite "team" this year, regardless of who they actually play for and without just listing the five Duke starters, would like this:

G Johnny Flynn
G Steph Curry
G Grevis Vasquez
F Kyle Singler
C Dejuan Blair

I know, I know... I used to hate Vasquez too, but I've slowly changed my mind over the years.

The funny thing is, I can see all of those guys in Duke Uni's.....except maybe Vasquez......DeJuan is a Elton clone....same voice and everything. And Curry was a Duke fan growing up. That would be a nice team.

Dr. Tina
03-15-2009, 11:30 AM
My list of opponents I'd like to see in a Duke uniform would be this:

Jonny Flynn
Toney Douglas
Steph Curry
Blake Griffin
Dejuan Blair

If someone said I had to pick one Tarheel from their team, then I'd have to go with....

Ty Lawson

I refuse to pick Hans or Green.

brevity
03-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I really like Tyrese Rice, too. I can't believe he didn't take the last shot on Friday night. Him and Toney Douglas were the two must clutch players in the ACC this year.

I'd throw in Lewis Clinch too, and not just because of the name. The final sequence of GT's loss this weekend (in which Iman Shumpert kept the ball, despite open teammates, lack of penetration, and no real shot lined up) was a classic head-scratcher.

Back on topic, I've been wondering how others would compare Jonny Flynn and Ty Lawson. This seems like the right thread for it.

Based on the conference tournament grades (A+ vs. incomplete), Flynn comes out way ahead, but the NCAAs are another story. Commentators will rave about point guard play at the championship level -- to an almost sickening extent -- and will point to these two guys fairly equally.

Assuming Lawson does play, at least by the second round, which guard will have the more impressive tournament (individually or as team leader)? I have a feeling Syracuse won't have a first-round letdown like they did in 2006 against Texas A&M, but then, it is Syracuse we're talking about.

Faison1
03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Back on topic, I've been wondering how others would compare Jonny Flynn and Ty Lawson. This seems like the right thread for it.

Well, I was going to begin by saying Jonny Flynn seems to have more heart, but then I thought of some of the gutsy perfomances Lawson has put together....wow, it hurts giving him a compliment......but seriously, on skills, I'd have to go with Lawson, and with guts, I'd go with Flynn.

As an aside, did anyone catch Toney Douglas after the loss today? What a classy guy!!!!! He actually went to the stands to sign a kid's autograph on his way to the locker room. He just gets better and better in my eyes. I'm so glad he is getting national recognition.

dukefan666
03-15-2009, 06:09 PM
If i had to pick a favorite carolina player it would have to bee Marcus Ginyard because he is the only one that plays D.