PDA

View Full Version : Outlook for Plumlee, Zoubek and Czyz

NYC Duke Fan
03-15-2009, 09:40 AM
What are the thoughts about the future of Plumlee, Zoubek and Czyz for next year and the future..I know that Zoubek has only one more year?

With the younger Mr. Plumlee and Ryan Kelly coming next year where do you see Zoubek and the elder Mr. Plumlee fitting in next year?

As to Czyz where do you see his future ?

Thank you

roywhite
03-15-2009, 09:54 AM
What are the thoughts about the future of Plumlee, Zoubek and Czyz for next year and the future..I know that Zoubek has only one more year?

With the younger Mr. Plumlee and Ryan Kelly coming next year where do you see Zoubek and the elder Mr. Plumlee fitting in next year?

Thank you

Just my opinion, but I see both newcomers moving ahead of all three.

Indoor66
03-15-2009, 10:18 AM
We all know that the Devil we don't know is always better than the Devil we know. :rolleyes:

CDu
03-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I think a lot of it will depend on who returns for next year (hopefully both Singler and Henderson are back) and how good the freshmen are. From the sounds of it, it appears that Kelly and Plumlee the middlebro are more perimeter-oriented. If that's the case, then there is definitely a role to be had for Plumlee the elder and/or Zoubek. Czyz would probably be battling for minutes at the 3/4 type spot (the position played by McClure and Henderson). The three players you mention just have to be up for the challenges.

Duke should have no shortage of post talent and depth next year, with at least five and likely six guys competing for minutes at the 4/5 spots. That's a good thing for us. The players who step up to the challenge of earning minutes will get the playing time.

doctorhook
03-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Z moves to the point. Doc

Faison1
03-15-2009, 10:34 AM
If Zoubs can work on his lateral quickness, learn how to set legal picks, gain hand-eye coordination, then he will have a big role next year.

Plumlee has pleanty of talent, but just needs to learn the system and flow of the game.

Not sure what to say about Olek....haven't seen enough of him.

But the one thing all of our front court players could work on, including Lance, is hitting a 6-10 ft jumper. Watching UNC makes it obvious. Ed Davis, Deon, and Tyler can all hit those shots. If our guys took 200-500 shots a day over the summer, and could learn to consistently and confidently pull the trigger, their worth would be monumentally magnified.

Saratoga2
03-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Freshmen have a difficult time adapting to play at DivI level, especially in the ACC. That goes doubly for front court players. It is possible that one of the newcomers will be so advanced that they will be able to step into the 5 position. It is more likely that Zoubek , Thomas and Plumlee the senior, will get the nod. In my opinion, of the three, Plumlee will make the most progress and will get a lot of PT next year. Cyzy will have to make a bigger improvement, but a player of his size, like John Brockman, was able to have an excellent career at Washington., while playing inside. One or more of those players may also choose to defect, and who could blame them if they see no chance of getting PT during their career.

sagegrouse
03-15-2009, 10:48 AM
We all know that the Devil we don't know is always better than the Devil we know. :rolleyes:

This is droll on several levels -- including the fact that it is true.

This is on a par with the truism that the "most popular guy in a town with a mediocre NFL team is the backup quarterback."

sagegrouse

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-15-2009, 10:53 AM

How true! It's appealing reasoning when there are so many factors, yet unknown, to shape the eventual outcome.

sagegrouse
03-15-2009, 11:08 AM
I agree with Indoor66 about the attractiveness of the Devil you don't know -- must be the mountain air.

Zoubek doesn't need to channel Christian Laettner to get a prominent role, but something must snap into place that isn't there now. Big guys are often slow to get their coordination. So, we'll see.

MP1 will get more PT as soon as he stops being a fouling machine (one every 4.4 mins.). He needs to see the game a bit better -- like all freshmen, except prodigies like Singler.

Czyz -- who knows? A big physical guy who runs the court like a gazelle can get a lot of minutes, if he learns to play defense.

MP2 and Ryan Kelly? Both seem to be shooters. One of them will get a chance if G. or Kyle leaves. Otherwise, who knows? K will not play anyone significant minutes unless they get the offense and/or the defense.

sagegrouse
'My two cents; change freely given'

Hancock 4 Duke
03-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Czyz- If he can improve his shots, and do alot better in practice, He could get a couple of minutes per game. I am afraid though, that he might transfer.

Zoubek-He needs to work on his speed and blocking power. Zoubek is the blockee lots of the time, not the blocker. He also needs to work on his power near the basket, if he wants to be a starter.

Thomas- Sometimes he has real good games, though sometimes bad days. He needs to work on all around things, though he seems to know a lot about the game.

MulletMan
03-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Czyz- If he can improve his shots, and do alot better in practice, He could get a couple of minutes per game. I am afraid though, that he might transfer.

Not to be a donkey, but why, exactly, does this worry you? If he can't develop into a good enough player to get time, why are you afraid of him transferring?

Hancock 4 Duke
03-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Not to be a donkey, but why, exactly, does this worry you? If he can't develop into a good enough player to get time, why are you afraid of him transferring?
I was thinking in a year or two, he could be transformed into a better player. It could also give Duke a worse reputation. Duke transfers are very rare.

BlueintheFace
03-15-2009, 11:50 AM
My thoughts for their future is that they will CHEER THEIR BUTTS off from the bench through much of the NCAA tourney (except when Zoubek plays in certain matchups) and will worry about next year AFTER the run ends.

DukeDevilDeb
03-15-2009, 11:55 AM

Thank you

Duke is about to play in the ACC Championship game after winning two really hard-fought contests on Friday and Saturday... and I open the boards to this??? :confused: Come on, people, this is the type of thread that usually shows up after the NCAA Championship ends.

Let's celebrate Duke NOW, with the players we have NOW, for the ACCs and NCAAs NOW, and worry about the future in April.

GO 2008-2009 BLUE DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

-jk
03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Well said.

-jk