PDA

View Full Version : JJ still rules

EKU1969
03-14-2009, 11:30 PM
I saw this on the banner running under the Syracuse-Louisville game...Hansborough had 22 points for UNC today, leaving him 2 points behind Redick for the all-time ACC scoring title. My question is this; does the ACC scoring title not include NCAA tournament games?

Carlos
03-14-2009, 11:32 PM
JJ still rules until Thursday... or Friday.

EKU1969
03-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Thaanks, that's what I thought, but the message banner was not explicit on the issue.

DukeCO2009
03-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Tyler was icing both of his knees pretty heavily after the game today.

I won't say what I'm thinking, but I'm sure most of you feel similarly.

dukegirlinsc
03-15-2009, 09:22 AM
NCAA tourney games do count, and I think it's stupid that they count. Blah.

...I'm probably just bitter. Retract JJ's points from free throws, and Tyler's points from free throws, and let's see where they stand. :rolleyes:

dukelifer
03-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Tyler was icing both of his knees pretty heavily after the game today.

I won't say what I'm thinking, but I'm sure most of you feel similarly.

If they have to get two players to hold him up to play- he will get his 3 points. At least he did not get it against Duke. Congrats to him, though.

moonpie23
03-15-2009, 09:35 AM
so, tyler will get the title, against some non-acc 16 seed where there won't be as much fanfare.....fine..

other than that....i just gotta man up and say.... "congrats big man....Quite an accomplishment."

ugh....that was difficult...

captmojo
03-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Will they stop the game and present him with some award? :rolleyes:

I too, am glad it did not come during a game against Duke. Maybe it could be a part of a larger point of history, the first 1 seed to drop to a 16? That would be cool...and justice! ;)

dukegirlinsc
03-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Will they stop the game and present him with some award?

If they do, I will vomit. I don't think they presented JJ any award?

moonpie23
03-15-2009, 09:51 AM
i will be in the kitchen...

natkap
03-15-2009, 09:56 AM
When Tyler passes JJ, it'll be sad but at least we'll know this: JJ's game was fun to watch and he played with grace. Tyler plays like a big bully and his game is ugly. Deep down the Carolina fans knows he plays like a caricature.

moonpie23
03-15-2009, 10:52 AM
it will be interesting to see how the non-acc refs are gonna treat the flopper/traveler this tourny...

EKU1969
03-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't think that they would do anything in the NCAA's, since neither JJ nor Hansborough are anywhere near Maravich. UNC may make a deal out of it, but I don't think the tournament itself will, nor should they.

And yes, congratulations to Hansborough. It took 51 years for Dickie Hemric's ACC record to fall to Redick, then 3 years for Redick to lose it to Hansborough. I do not see any current players in a position to even come close right now.

Hancock 4 Duke
03-15-2009, 11:14 AM
NCAA tourney games do count, and I think it's stupid that they count. Blah.

then that would take more away from JJ's points. Also, all Hansbrough has points from is layups, dunks, and 4 footers. It takes more skills to hit all of those three pointers. They should make three categories for- Free throw scoring leader, Three point scoring leader, and 2 point feild goal scoring leader.

Son of Mojo
03-15-2009, 11:19 AM
*sigh* It's a shame that THIS guy is going to be given a record. GIVEN. Can you imagine for all the times we saw JJ hit, pulled (severely), scratched, and thrown to the ground on no-call fouls if he were awarded the FT's that Beaker Hanstravel has been GIVEN for when he has initiated 80% of the contact he has had (or when someone merely violates his personal mouthbreathing space)? I know, a long-winded sentence of haterade, but it's well deserved. Congrats......... :mad:

rthomas
03-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Both JJ and Hansborough should have asterisks since the three point shoot is a relatively recent invention to inflate scoring.

Real men and women shot twos.

Troublemaker
03-15-2009, 11:35 AM
then that would take more away from JJ's points. Also, all Hansbrough has points from is layups, dunks, and 4 footers. It takes more skills to hit all of those three pointers. They should make three categories for- Free throw scoring leader, Three point scoring leader, and 2 point feild goal scoring leader.

Besides 2-pt FG, the other categories are definitely in the ACC record books. JJ is still the all-time 3-pt FG leader in the ACC.

Troublemaker
03-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Both JJ and Hansborough should have asterisks since the three point shoot is a relatively recent invention to inflate scoring.

Real men and women shot twos.

And early entry to the NBA had its effect, too, of course. JWill is probably the record holder had he stayed for his senior season.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Besides 2-pt FG, the other categories are definitely in the ACC record books. JJ is still the all-time 3-pt FG leader in the ACC.

I believe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._J._Redick#Collegiate_career)that Staples' record was for the entire NCAA, not just the ACC. If that's correct then we have two of the all-time NCAA records since Bobby is still the NCAA assist leader. I wonder how many other programs have multiple NCAA records of this type from multiple players.

Kimist
03-15-2009, 12:23 PM
it will be interesting to see how the non-acc refs are gonna treat the flopper/traveler this tourney...

Agreed - the airflop by Hanstravel should not carry much weight outside of the confines of the ACC.

FWIW, it seemed in the Saturday ACC games that the refs were basically ignoring all flops. I don't have a real problem with that, so long as they are consistent. They also appeared to be keeping an eye out for illegal screens.

I'm still trying to figure out the unc jump ball at the end of the Va Tech game. Could have sworn some contact with the ball was required. :rolleyes:

As for the Flopmeister, he may get some NBA attention but spending most of his time on his rear end and waiting for a whistle will not be a productive path to glory with the "big boys."

k

hurleyfor3
03-15-2009, 03:59 PM
And early entry to the NBA had its effect, too, of course. JWill is probably the record holder had he stayed for his senior season.

And Kenny Anderson would have the assist record, especially assuming Dennis Scott would also have been around anohter year. For the umpteenth time, let him have his record. We got bigger fish to fry.

houstondukie
03-15-2009, 04:15 PM

But JJ gets rewarded for the "extra skill" by receiving an extra point.

dukegirlinsc
03-15-2009, 06:32 PM

Then they should take away from JJ's points as well. The tournament is a "playoff game" so-to-speak, no other sports consider playoff games in personal stat records...

spifi
03-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Then they should take away from JJ's points as well. The tournament is a "playoff game" so-to-speak, no other sports consider playoff games in personal stat records...

Eh? Which "sports" don't? Nothing is coming to me. Some sports do differentiate regular season, playoff, and career records, but "career" records are almost always inclusive of postseason numbers. This is a "career" record that's been talked about.

Per game numbers and even per minute numbers are just as interesting, even if you go for all games, though.

DukeCO2009
03-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Eh? Which "sports" don't? Nothing is coming to me. Some sports do differentiate regular season, playoff, and career records, but "career" records are almost always inclusive of postseason numbers. This is a "career" record that's been talked about.

Per game numbers and even per minute numbers are just as interesting, even if you go for all games, though.

Pretty sure MLB doesn't count post-season HR's as part of career totals, but I could be wrong. Too lazy to look it up at the moment.

spifi
03-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Pretty sure MLB doesn't count post-season HR's as part of career totals, but I could be wrong. Too lazy to look it up at the moment.

Nope, pretty sure career is career. The "single season" record didn't include playoffs, though.

JBDuke
03-15-2009, 08:29 PM
And Kenny Anderson would have the assist record, especially assuming Dennis Scott would also have been around anohter year. For the umpteenth time, let him have his record. We got bigger fish to fry.

If Scott had hung around another year, he would have put up a career points number that JJ would have fallen short of, and that Hansblow couldn't match. Scott had 2115 points in three years, and averaged 27.7 ppg his junior year. Even if he only averaged 28 ppg his senior year, and GT only played in 30 games that year, he'd have ended up with 2955 points. Yowza.

rickymoyer
03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Eh? Which "sports" don't?

1. MLB
2. NFL
3. NBA
4. NHL

You know, just the major professional leagues. ;) I am pretty sure that the NCAA just started including bowl games in career statistics.

Now back to the topic at hand...I cant believe the amount of people in this thread trying to take away the accomplishment from Tyler. The only thing that he does wrong is play for UNC. He is not the one that blows the whistle that sends him to the foul line everytime he get bumped. He is not stopping any refs from blowing the whistle whenever his pivot foot happens to move a little.

wilson
03-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Nope, pretty sure career is career.

Wrong. All of the major sports differentiate between playoff and regular season stats, and none of them count any playoff numbers toward career totals.

spifi
03-15-2009, 08:50 PM
If Scott had hung around another year, he would have put up a career points number that JJ would have fallen short of, and that Hansblow couldn't match. Scott had 2115 points in three years, and averaged 27.7 ppg his junior year. Even if he only averaged 28 ppg his senior year, and GT only played in 30 games that year, he'd have ended up with 2955 points. Yowza.

Good point. Points per minute numbers still put Hansbrough way in the lead of those three with him at .65, JJ with .58, and Scott at .57. But I culled that based on stats from three different sites. Anyone know where you could look this up on the same site? And would automatically pull up top PPM performers from the conference all-time? Hansbrough has a clear edge of these three, but I'd bet there are more prolific performers out there (and I'm talking about with some reasonable minimums in here to weed out the very short timers).

KrazyKfan
03-15-2009, 09:51 PM
so, tyler will get the title, against some non-acc 16 seed where there won't be as much fanfare.....fine..

other than that....i just gotta man up and say.... "congrats big man....Quite an accomplishment."

ugh....that was difficult...

Don't count Radford out. They hail from Roanoke, VA, my birthplace, and with Lawson coming off an injury back into the lineup, you never know...

dukegirlinsc
03-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Wrong. All of the major sports differentiate between playoff and regular season stats, and none of them count any playoff numbers toward career totals.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was pretty sure I was correct...but I've been wrong maybe one other time in my life. :rolleyes:

hurleyfor3
03-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Although one-game playoffs in baseball to determine who makes the postseason *do* count. For example, the '78 Yankees/Red Sox playoff game resulted in Ron Guidry's 25th win of the season.

Kim*
03-16-2009, 09:36 AM
If they do, I will vomit. I don't think they presented JJ any award?
No, I was at the game when JJ broke the record and there was no award. And if my memory serves me correctly, I don't even think there was an announcement made. But the Duke fans there sure knew and were counting down each basket/point (even though he played pretty crappy that day, hah.) and screamed our BRAINS out after that free throw.

So if there is any special treatment for Tyler when it happens I will not be happy.

phaedrus
03-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Don't count Radford out. They hail from Roanoke, VA, my birthplace, and with Lawson coming off an injury back into the lineup, you never know...

The good news is when he breaks the mark in a loss to Radford, his record will stand as a perpetual reminder of the first 1 to lose to a 16.