PDA

View Full Version : Duke baseball

jimsumner
03-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Duke beat Miami today 2-0 in Miami. Andrew Wolcott (who is having a monster season so far) went 7.1 innings and Michael Ness finished up.

Shutting out the sixth-ranked Hurricanes on the road shows how far this program has come under Sean McNally. Miami edged Duke 5-4 the day before, scoring the winning run in the ninth, so playing them close was no fluke.

Rubber match tomorrow. But baseball may be on the verge of becoming another spring sport to watch out for at Duke.

Oriole Way
03-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Good to hear Duke baseball is making strides.

I have always thought that Duke would be an attractive place for recruits if the facilities had gotten upgraded and the team improved from a coaching standpoint (which seems to be happening).

gotham devil
03-15-2009, 04:54 AM
Duke beat Miami today 2-0 in Miami. Andrew Wolcott (who is having a monster season so far) went 7.1 innings and Michael Ness finished up.

Shutting out the sixth-ranked Hurricanes on the road shows how far this program has come under Sean McNally. Miami edged Duke 5-4 the day before, scoring the winning run in the ninth, so playing them close was no fluke.

Rubber match tomorrow. But baseball may be on the verge of becoming another spring sport to watch out for at Duke.
Thanks for pointing it out. First win against Miami since 1967.
The team was actually also leading against Miami 4-1 on Friday.

Sean McNally has done an amazing job of building this program. Congratulations to the players.

4decadedukie
03-15-2009, 07:41 AM
That our Blue Devils have become an emerging element among collegiate baseball's elite, highly competitive teams is wonderful. That they have done it is a couple of years -- after a lengthy period of mediocrity -- suggests some great things about the coaches, the team, and Duke athletically, academically, socially, and in other realms. CONGRATULATIONS!

Inonehand
03-15-2009, 09:06 AM
This is a great win. First of many this year. A win today and you will see the Devils in the top 25.

House G
03-15-2009, 10:21 AM
If you like baseball, Duke is a fun team to watch. When Duke was playing La Salle a few weeks ago, I snapped this picture of Nate Freiman finishing his home run trot after a monster three-run shot.

dukebsbll14
03-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Congrats on the team. Going to be a force in the ACC this season

Coach Mac is doing a fantastic job; he really knows the game of baseball and what it means to be an athlete at Duke. We've taken great strides in pitching and defense since he's been here. I think we led the ACC and were one of the top teams in NCAA in fielding % last season. It also helps that Nate stuck around for his senior year; he can really hit.

I'm also very happy to see us getting facility upgrades: the clubhouse is currently located in Cameron and I believe they have to use 2 or 3 different weight rooms because they don't have everything they need in one...

I will definitely be up there for a few games this season.
GO DUKE!!!

chrishoke
03-15-2009, 10:45 AM
In all the excitement of yesterday, a very promising event event has been, I think, overlooked. Last night, the Duke baseball team made some serious noise by shutting out the #6 Miaimi team on their home field 2-0. The devils are now 3-3 in the conference. Our new young coach is making a big difference. The rubber game of the series is today at 12. Go Duke!

chrishoke
03-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Congrats to the team and coaches - Great win to build on!

chrishoke
03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Duke is leading again in the rubber match 3rd inning, 1-0. GODUKE.

chrishoke
03-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Miami 6-5 in the 8th. Duke wass down 6-1.

chrishoke
03-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Tied up! 6-6 in the bottom of the eighth.

dukebsbll14
03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
gah
Canes win 7-6
walk-off homer

CameronBornAndBred
03-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Pretty nice to see they played a top team so closely, especially on the road. Congrats for the one win, and the one that got away.

devildeac
03-15-2009, 04:05 PM
gah
Canes win 7-6
walk-off homer

Crap. They won 2 games in their last AB.

CameronBornAndBred
03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Akin to the football team getting some national recognition last season, the baseball team recieved 7 votes in the polls released by USA today.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/baseball/usatpoll.htm