PDA

View Full Version : MBB: ACCT Championship pre-game & in-game thread

Bob Green
03-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Discuss the Duke FSU game here. Tip-off is at 2 am Monday morning for me but I'll be watching. Winning the Trophy is very important to both teams so I expect we will see an all out effort for 40 minutes.

superdave
03-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Tough to beat anyone three times. We did it today, but FSU is a good step or two above the Turtles.

We could use more scoring from the bench and I would love to see Zoubek contribute. Thought Zoubek would have some solid minutes today, but as someone pointed out in another thread, he cannot switch screens so we have to change our D when he's in.

I guess that means we will do a lot of drive and kick on O. Might we see some zone tomorrow to combat their size?

dukelifer
03-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Tough to beat anyone three times. We did it today, but FSU is a good step or two above the Turtles.

We could use more scoring from the bench and I would love to see Zoubek contribute. Thought Zoubek would have some solid minutes today, but as someone pointed out in another thread, he cannot switch screens so we have to change our D when he's in.

I guess that means we will do a lot of drive and kick on O. Might we see some zone tomorrow to combat their size?

Duke has to keep this close and not let Douglas get on some sort of streak. I expect FSU to control this game throughout and will probably have a 10-12 point lead at some point- but Duke can win it if they execute down the stretch. Florida State can be a shaky shooting team. Douglas, though, is having one of those tourneys.

superdave
03-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Who all have we played on Douglas in the two games this year?

Elliot and Nolan could have their hands full unless we go big with GH at the 2 and play McClure at the 3 and put him on Toney.

Super "I am almost more worried about guarding FSU's bigs - Alabi etc" Dave

Bob Green
03-14-2009, 10:10 PM
We could use more scoring from the bench and I would love to see Zoubek contribute.

The bench scored 19 points today, which is an improvement. We will need those type bench points for the rest of the season. I agree with your re Zoubek in that he is a great passer out of the high post and I'd like to see him play a few more minutes. If Zoubek could deliver a couple of passes to backdoor cutters, it could open things up for the offense.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Douglas has been in-freaking-credible this weekend. FSU seemed really big to me today -- we were commenting that when they stood around, they seemed to tower over the Heels. UNC used that big galoot of theirs (44 -- I forget his name) more than I can usually recall. Z could get real minutes tomorrow.

mgtr
03-14-2009, 10:25 PM
I think that Zoubek can make a real contribution, but we need to play some kind of junk defense to keep him in the middle instead of switched out on players he can't realistically guard. Just park him in the middle and let him block whatever shots he can.

jv001
03-14-2009, 11:13 PM
We had better be tough on the boards or it's going to be hard for us to come out with a win. I don't think we can turn them over enough to offset any big rebounding defiency. See Toney Douglas. If they give Elliiot the open 3 as md did today, he needs to hit one early to get his confidence up. Nolan played a very good game today and we will need more of the same from him tomorrow. I look for the guys to step up and win the tournament in a very close game. Go Duke!

captmojo
03-15-2009, 09:15 AM
All the above have very valid views. Due to FSU's height, Duke should still look to go inside, with whatever line-up is on the floor. Getting low will get the man with the ball, under those tall guys, who have a disadvantage at getting down to that level. Ball fakes must be used to counter height also.

Good read on front page today about the coming game. I only contrast slightly with one thing. I don't know if it's to Coach Hamilton's credit, or the player's own, but it does appear that Ryan Reid has matured and I don't see the "nasty play" we have seen from him in the past. I hope it never returns.

shadowfax336
03-15-2009, 09:27 AM
UNC used that big galoot of theirs (44 -- I forget his name) more than I can usually recall.

The "big galoot" is Tyler Zeller, he missed most of the season with an injury

moonpie23
03-15-2009, 09:56 AM
hahahahaha...... "GALOOT"

roy-speak...

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-15-2009, 10:50 AM
hahahahaha...... "GALOOT"

roy-speak...

The term "galoot" was once a fairly common term in the south. I'm not aware of any particular attribution.

SMO
03-15-2009, 11:04 AM
The term "galoot" was once a fairly common term in the south. I'm not aware of any particular attribution.

At least you didn't call him a doggone idget galoot!

Troublemaker
03-15-2009, 11:47 AM
ACC championship aside, it's important to just play well today. Our past two games have been blah. BC and Maryland are nice teams but are likely 10 or 11 seeds in the NCAAs, which means we've played at about the level of an 8 seed the past two games. Let's play some championship level ball today.

I'm worried about Gerald, who hasn't shot the ball well since the second Wake Forest game. Here's hoping he has a great game.

DukeDevilDeb
03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Who all have we played on Douglas in the two games this year?

Elliot and Nolan could have their hands full unless we go big with GH at the 2 and play McClure at the 3 and put him on Toney.

Super "I am almost more worried about guarding FSU's bigs - Alabi etc" Dave

Nolan played him very well at FSU, and Elliott et al. picked up the slack while Nolan was recovering from his Maryland concussion. If we can play head's up defense on Toney and NOT let him go wild, we have a good shot.

Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!

jpfrizzle
03-15-2009, 12:01 PM
If Zoubek plays today, lets hope he's the guy guarding the paint like a champion!

Lets hope they all have a great game ! ! !

Go DUKE ! ! ! !

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Nolan played him very well at FSU, and Elliott et al. picked up the slack while Nolan was recovering from his Maryland concussion. If we can play head's up defense on Toney and NOT let him go wild, we have a good shot.

Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree and would add that playing tough, smart ball is going to be very important in this game especially for Duke. This is the fourth game in as many days for FSU. Will fatigue creep into their play or will adrenaline rule?

DukeDevilDeb
03-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I agree and would add that playing tough, smart ball is going to be very important in this game especially for Duke. This is the fourth game in as many days for FSU. Will fatigue creep into their play or will adrenaline rule?

But I don't think Florida State played on Thursday. They are the #4 seed and didn't have to!

CDu
03-15-2009, 12:11 PM
But I don't think Florida State played on Thursday. They are the #4 seed and didn't have to!

Yup. If anything, FSU would theoretically have the (ever so slight) fatigue advantage. They've played the same number of games as us this weekend, but they had an extra couple of hours rest by playing the early game. I don't think fatigue is going to favor any one team clearly over the other.

I'm hopeful that the combination of Williams and Smith can contain Douglas and allow our other guys to focus on keeping the FSU bigs from dominating the boards. If that can happen (and assuming we don't completely lose our shooting touch), I really like our chances.

grossbus
03-15-2009, 12:40 PM
FSU has to be a little emotionally spent from yesterday and a little nervous about today. we need to jump on them early.

perhaps we will get some of the over-the-back calls that we did not yesterday.

douglas is the real POY.

ChemGod
03-15-2009, 12:47 PM
It is hard being a Duke fan here in MD...

I am a grad (Trinity 1990) and my wife is a huge fan by marital vows. We went this morning to visit a friend in the hospital who just had a baby. The nurse at the desk was unbelievably beligerent, and stated that our friend was NOT in the hospital. It quickly became clear this was because we both were wearing Duke hoodies. Go figure. I have actually been denied food service in MD for wearing my Duke gear.

The nurse offered to fight over it...I merely stated she was out of her weight class.

After visiting, the nurse informed me that she would be pulling for FSU. I replied I though that U MD had probably played into the big dance and that I was pulling for THEM. She was visibly chastened and a little touched I think.

After we walked away from the nursing station, and after the automatic double doors closed behind us, I whispered under my breath to my wife "...Godless Maryland fans..." :)

And we heard..." I heard that!!" shouted through the partition. :eek:

Apparently, there is a microphone in the hallway that goes to the nurses station so they can buzz the door open for visitors!

I just had to share...

Go Duke!

SharkD
03-15-2009, 12:54 PM
A little locker-room material...

Look at how TitanTV, which feeds the Electronic Programming Guide to my EyeTV DVR has listed today's ACC championship game:

GtHC!

House G
03-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Let's get ready to rumble!

Coballs
03-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Here we go. It's time to play the Mike Patrick Drinking Game.

natkap
03-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Thomas looks a little over eager so far. He just needs to calm down a bit.

pfrduke
03-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Anyone have an update on Smith? He's not in the team warmups - is he sitting today?

SharkD
That LT "foul" on Douglas was very Hansblahblah-esque -- jump into a stationary defender and somehow draw the foul.

jamos14
Anyone know why Nolan is in street clothes? Did he re-injure himself yesterday?

MonitorMom
Time for Zoubek to have the game of his life cross fingers now

Lulu
03-15-2009, 01:14 PM
ok, so why isn't nolan dressed? no mention of this from the announcers yet.

pfrduke
03-15-2009, 01:14 PM
That LT "foul" on Douglas was very Hansblahblah-esque -- jump into a stationary defender and somehow draw the foul.

Lance reached with his arms - he has to stay straight on those. It's a tough call to have go against you, but it was the right one.

The1Bluedevil
03-15-2009, 01:15 PM
why is nolan not playing?

SharkD
03-15-2009, 01:17 PM
When Hansblahblah does it, it's a jump ball; when Z does it, it's a foul.

jamos14
03-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Well Nolan is playing now. Guess I was seeing things?

Coballs
03-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Nolan's in

Lulu
03-15-2009, 01:19 PM
must have just had some sore muscles, the sweatshirt did look peculiar for not dressing.
he didn't just forget his warm-ups, did he...

pfrduke
03-15-2009, 01:22 PM
must have just had some sore muscles, the sweatshirt did look peculiar for not dressing.
he didn't just forget his warm-ups, did he...

Yeah, it looked like something that could have come from a game-time decision. Odd that he didn't have the warm-ups.

He looked good on that drive before the break - those are the kinds of shots he can and should be getting.

SharkD
03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Lance reached with his arms - he has to stay straight on those. It's a tough call to have go against you, but it was the right one.

Here's the sequence -- you're probably right.

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
We look like we are playing at another level today. Excellent intensity, smart play, plus good shooting. Let's show some killer instinct.

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Here we go!!! Don't let them even think they can win!!!

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Not loving the 2 early fouls on E!

SharkD
03-15-2009, 01:32 PM
It's nice to see so much [Pantone 287] in the stands, where previously there was so much Baby Blue.

pfrduke
Not to be needlessly negative with a 15-point lead, but we need to be careful about not falling in love with threes too early. They've mostly been good looks, but let's not shoot ourselves out of this lead.

FerryFor50
DUKE is on fire! YES!

natkap
03-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I've missed all the perimeter shooting recently and it looks like we're back! Singler is looking like the MVP of the tourney.

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Every FSU shot contested...If we continue playing this way, it's going to be a wonderful day.

House G
03-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Every FSU shot contested...If we continue playing this way, it's going to be a wonderful day.
Unfortunately, Vitale is confusing great D with poor officiating:D

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2009, 01:37 PM
No mas fouling por favor. Still, looking great though.

FerryFor50
03-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Z is playing up to his potential today. Good to see.

House G
03-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Hello, Mr. Smith!

jamos14
03-15-2009, 01:42 PM
What a dunk!!!

FerryFor50
Nolan with the nasty dunk!

pfrduke
Love the attacks of the rim by Smith. If we keep going inside, we'll hold this lead.

dukebb444
quit it! that was NASTY!

NSDukeFan
Hello, Mr. Smith!

Nice to have you back

FerryFor50
03-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Looks like Duke is back!

Solid offense, solid defense. Let's hope this all keeps clicking like this!

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Vroom Vroom the party starter! Nolan with the stuffer!! I think I may get arrested for disturbing the peace if this keeps up.

FerryFor50
03-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Why is hitting the arm on the follow through randomly called a foul in so many instances? Scheyer gets hit and no call...

jipops
03-15-2009, 01:49 PM
That 3rd foul on Nolan could come back to bite us.

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Way to go LT! We needed that!

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Great Half!! One more just like it please!!

arnie
03-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Best I've seen the entire team play this year - everyone that played seemed to play well - keep it UP!

jipops
03-15-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm a little concerned about the foul situation. Expect Douglas to explode in the 2nd. I can see FSU making this single digits very quickly.

Lance's point blank miss, yuuuck.

Great work by Zoubek so far. Since Hamilton has gone small our shooting has cooled, wonder if we can look for Zoubs a little down low now or maybe even Kyle.

Faison1
03-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Way to go, Zoubs!!! I really think FSU was not expecting that. When he D'd up, that might have put a kink in their whole game plan.....

natkap
03-15-2009, 01:57 PM
We're looking really strong but we have to keep the intensity up in the 2nd half. It's not over yet! Everybody has done their part, though, and it's been a while since we've stepped it up like this. Let's hope it continues for many games to come! Go Duke!

Coballs
03-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Zoubek completely neutralized Alabi. One of the keys to the first half.

Lulu
I just have to keep harping on Henderson's circus shots with zero chance of falling and zero chance of a foul being called (foul or no foul). This has to stop.

The end-of-half plays where we put the ball in his hands also aren't working out for us.

dukejim1
Great half but I wish it wouldn't have worn that grey warm-up shirt on the bench. I thought he was in street clothes for awhile. Nice compliments between Eliot and Nolan

dukebsbll14
03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Great half

FSU's going to make a run in the second half, we got to find a way to score inside cause we're not gonna hit those 3's probably

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Great substitution strategy by Coach K both before foul trouble set in and after.

MonitorMom
03-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Great half but I wish it wouldn't have worn that grey warm-up shirt on the bench. I thought he was in street clothes for awhile. Nice compliments between Eliot and Nolan

Nolan's shirt may have sentimental attributes...and if it makes him play like this, I'm all for it

pfrduke
03-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Plus/minusing the first half:

Singler: +14 (35-21)
Henderson: +14 (35-21)
Zoubek: +12 (19-7)
Scheyer: +9 (30-21)
Williams: +7 (15-8)
Smith: +6 (18-12)
McClure: +5 (5-0)
Thomas: +2 (16-14)
Paulus: +1 (2-1)

FSU
Gibson: +1 (3-2)
Singleton: -3 (19-22)
Kitchen: -4 (13-17)
Echefu: -4 (13-17)
DeMercy: -5 (10-15)
Dulkys: -8 (0-8)
Reid: -9 (6-15)
Loucks: -10 (8-18)
Douglas: -14 (21-35)
Alabi: -14 (12-26)

Edouble
03-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Am I reading this correctly? Did you just refer to Nolan as "it"? :confused:

Great first half. I was pleased that we continued to attack the rim after hitting the five threes. I hope Elliott can give us some solid minutes and a few points here and there in the second half with Nolan's foul trouble. Overall, a lot of positive stuff in the first 20 minutes. I love Zoub's presence on D.

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-15-2009, 02:07 PM
We played pretty well, but FSU played really poorly...

We still shot only 38% overall, but somehow we outrebounded FSU and had some really good defensive plays...I can't believe how well Zoubek played...

FSU is not going to keep playing this poorly, we only had 3 foul shots in the first half vs FSU's 12. That has to change.

Still, we have a pretty big cushion to work with....Stay aggressive and don't become complacent....

ArtVandelay
03-15-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or something in FSU's scouting report, but Lance has been wide open several times coming off the perimeter ball screens. Our guys haven't really been looking for him, though (doesn't seem to be part of the offense right now). I think that if we keep our eyes open we could get an easy basket or two when he rolls to the bucket. Lance could also help by making himself more available to catch and finish.

MChambers
03-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Why is hitting the arm on the follow through randomly called a foul in so many instances? Scheyer gets hit and no call...

If it's any consolation, the refs are letting it go on both ends. Also not calling over the back.

They are calling reaching in, which is mostly how we ended up letting FSU score at the line. But for that, we'd be in a complete blowout. Hope it was a point of emphasis at the half.

pfrduke
03-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or something in FSU's scouting report, but Lance has been wide open several times coming off the perimeter ball screens. Our guys haven't really been looking for him, though (doesn't seem to be part of the offense right now). I think that if we keep our eyes open we could get an easy basket or two when he rolls to the bucket. Lance could also help by making himself more available to catch and finish.

There also aren't always lanes for an entry pass. FSU has done a nice job denying passing lanes to the interior off of screens.

Chitowndevil
03-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Duke is doing two things today we didn't see much of for long stretches against BC and Maryland: hitting the glass hard and moving the ball on offense. Two of their best sequences offensively were missed 3s, in particular one where G drove baseline, dished to Kyle in the corner, then 2 passes to get Scheyer a great look from the wing.

Let's also give Zoubs and LT some credit for a couple of really nice plays. They've done a great job frustrating Alabi and Echefu, which might have been the reason for that away from the ball offensive foul. Duke has also timed their help extremely well, disrupting shots so that LT and Zoubs end up in favorable position and don't have to foul.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, Nolan Smith is showing flashes of the player we saw in December and early January. If that Nolan Smith shows up in the NCAAs, and we do the two things above, I like this team's chances.

natkap
03-15-2009, 02:13 PM
FSU is looking desperate. It's going to start getting ugly.

ArtVandelay
03-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Actually, our defense has let up the past few possessions and we are continuing to fall in love with the 3. I'd like to see Nolan get back in the game to provide a little bit more dribble penetration element.

jipops
03-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Wasn't hard to see this coming. We kept leaving the door open.

ice-9
03-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Shooting got us the lead, shooting is making us lose it. We got a game!

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I swear I have never seen one player fouled on more three pointers than Scheyer...

Thank god for that....HUGE dumb foul by Kinchen...:)

They are starting to score at will, we need some stops!!! REBOUND!!!

House G
03-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Get a TO baby!

CBDUKE
03-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Shooting is getting the lead back. Along with great defense.

FerryFor50
03-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Uh oh.

Hack-a-Dave is in effect.

davekay1971
03-15-2009, 03:00 PM
17 ACC titles! What an accomplishment! Before an NCAA tournament game has been played, this team has had a great, great season.

ice-9
03-15-2009, 03:02 PM
FSU not gonna go quietly...

indakut
03-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Let's hope that this championship win will continue build team confidence that can carry them really deep into the NCAAs (assuming they hold this 10 pt margin). ***Fingers Crossed***

davekay1971
03-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Okay, I take my last post back and will hang on to it for the next 1:18 seconds of game time. Ugh...c'mon guys, put it away...

jipops
03-15-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm pulling the rest of my hair out right now. This isn't looking like the way we should be closing out games.

indakut
03-15-2009, 03:10 PM
C'mon...we need a defensive stop and then, hit the free throws, please! lol

indakut
03-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Okay...looking good. Congratulations, Duke!!!! :p :D

davekay1971
03-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Okay, now it's time:

17 ACC titles! What an accomplishment! Before an NCAA tournament game has been played, this team has had a great, great season.