PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Maryland (ACC Tournament)

Jumbo
03-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the ACC Tournament game against Maryland?

CameronBornAndBred
03-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Kyle and Jon scored, but Dave kept us in it with defense, offense, and much needed rebounding. McClure is my MOTM. GO DUKE!!!

DukeDevil
03-14-2009, 06:20 PM
I've bad a David M. fan for a long time now...and it's really nice that he's finally getting at least some attention from the announcers. I feel like I never look at him in play and thing...dammit bad play! Nearly everything he brings is positive in one way or another.

Oh, and can I just say? DUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Son of Mojo
03-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Scheyer was my MOTM-1 but McClure was MOTM-A.

dukebsbll14
03-14-2009, 06:23 PM
K, Jon, and Dave all played great. Jon shot well, as well as Kyle. Dave helped tremendously with defense and rebounding. I had to go with Kyle though; that offensive rebound (with a min or 2 left) that helped us shave some more time off the clock was huge.

pamtar
I'd love to vote for Dave and Kyle but Jon was ice cold. His performance stuck out to me.

I'm really proud of Dave though. When he's not timid offensively he's really a good player.

Bob Green
Nolan Smith played a huge role in this win. He scored 10 points in 30 minutes of playing time. With both Henderson and Williams being a little off their game, we don't win if Smith hadn't stepped up to the plate with a solid performance. Smith earned my vote!

Jumbo
Kyle and Jon scored, but Dave kept us in it with defense, offense, and much needed rebounding. McClure is my MOTM. GO DUKE!!!

I thought about Dave, but then I realized I was focusing too much on the very end of the game. He played quite well, but most of that impact came at the end. I probably should have voted for Scheyer, but I went with Nolan Smith. I thought he was terrific, and getting a game like this from him now means a lot long-term. I haven't felt as if we can rely on Elliot to be excellent every night and, either way, Smith will have to contribute. It's great knowing that if a team is going to back off as Maryland did today, Smith can come in off the bench and knock down jump shots, drive when the opportunity presents itself and keep the defensive intensity high.

Greg_Newton
03-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Very solid team effort when none of the Big Three were exactly in the zone. You could certainly make a case for Singler (if he hadn't had two offensive goaltending calls, he would have had TEN OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS), Scheyer (and his efficient 22 points) and good ol' McClure (the catalyst in our difference-making run), but I'm with you Bob and Jumbo... I'm going to have to cast my vote for Nolan. 10 points, 3 assists, 2 steals, lockdown D and a bunch of big plays in 30 solid minutes... he's officially back! I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

CameronBornAndBred
03-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Singler (if he hadn't had two offensive goaltending calls, he would have had TEN OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS).
No, he would still have 8, and 4 more points. Grrrrr...those annoyed me. I thought the first call was iffy, the second one was a legit call.

Faison1
03-14-2009, 06:34 PM
voted for Dave......great BBall IQ and great heads up plays today.....way to go Dave!!!!!

camion
03-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I voted for Dave the Difference Maker.

MB in MD
03-14-2009, 06:39 PM
This was a tough one. McClure and Smith did lots of little things, and we probably don't win without their contributions, but in a game in which points were tough to come by, Scheyer was the most reliable scorer and I had to go with him.

ACCBBallFan
03-14-2009, 06:43 PM
From an expectations standpoint, Dave McClure and also Nolan Smith, and from a metrics standpoint, I was surprised to see that Kyle's stats surpassed Jon.

Rating Player-Pos

76 Kyle Singler, F
70 Jon Scheyer, G

61 Greivis Vasquez, G
58 TOTALS-Duke

53 Eric Hayes, G
50 TOTALS-MD
49 Gerald Henderson, G-F
48 Nolan Smith, G

42 David McClure, F
41 Sean Mosley, G
40 Adrian Bowie, G

38 Dave Neal, F
37 Landon Milbourne, F

26 Dino Gregory, F

19 Elliot Williams, G
17 Lance Thomas, F

10 Greg Paulus, G
04 Cliff Tucker, G-F
(1) Brian Zoubek, C

tele
03-14-2009, 06:43 PM
I voted for Kyle. Double Double, needed his inside work in this game. Scheyer was good, but only one assist. Nolan and McClure were also major contributers. Great Game!

Jumbo
03-14-2009, 06:45 PM
From an expectations standpoint, Dave McClure and also Nolan Smith, and from a metrics standpoint, I was surprised to see that Kyle's stats surpassed Jon.

Rating Player-Pos

76 Kyle Singler, F
70 Jon Scheyer, G

61 Greivis Vasquez, G
58 TOTALS-Duke

53 Eric Hayes, G
50 TOTALS-MD
49 Gerald Henderson, G-F
48 Nolan Smith, G

42 David McClure, F
41 Sean Mosley, G
40 Adrian Bowie, G

38 Dave Neal, F
37 Landon Milbourne, F

26 Dino Gregory, F

19 Elliot Williams, G
17 Lance Thomas, F

10 Greg Paulus, G
04 Cliff Tucker, G-F
(1) Brian Zoubek, C

Please, please, please could you explain what these random numbers are? They haven't made sense all season.

ACCBBallFan
03-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Please, please, please could you explain what these random numbers are? They haven't made sense all season.

It's just an aggregation of all the box score state, points, minutes, rebounds, fg%, FT%, 3%, assists, turnovers, blocks, steals, fouls etc. Fouls in particular is hard to evaluate vis a vis a guy who plays matador defense and does not foul. The team scores are weighted averages of each player's stats.

Your +/- metrics are much more telling, and I do this as a supplement. They usually align fairly well.

DukieBoy
03-14-2009, 06:53 PM
My vote went to Dave. With the game still close, he came in and was a big part of the 9-0 run to really put the game out of reach.

tele
03-14-2009, 06:54 PM
It's just an aggregation of all the box score state, points, minutes, rebounds, fg%, FT%, 3%, assists, turnovers, blocks, steals, fouls etc. Fouls in particular is hard to evaluate vis a vis a guy who plays matador defense and does not foul. The team scores are weighted averages of each player's stats.

Could we see the equation(s) please?

micah75
03-14-2009, 06:57 PM
61 Greivis Vasquez, G
58 TOTALS-Duke

So, you're rating Vasquez higher than the entire Duke squad? Interesting.

53 Eric Hayes, G
50 TOTALS-MD

And Hayes is rated higher than the entire Maryland team?? Silly wabbit.

26 Dino Gregory, F

19 Elliot Williams, G
17 Lance Thomas, F

10 Greg Paulus, G
04 Cliff Tucker, G-F
(1) Brian Zoubek, C

No comment. I haven't a clue what any of these numbers mean anyway. Okay.... I gotta ask: why the parentheses surrounding Zoubek's rating? If it's a negative rating, couldn't you just use a minus sign? Oh, never mind.

marinbobbyduhon
03-14-2009, 07:01 PM
I voted for Kyle. Double Double, needed his inside work in this game. Scheyer was good, but only one assist. Nolan and McClure were also major contributers. Great Game!

This is almost exactly my thinking when I voted for Kyle, but I wanted to vote for Jon, David, and Nolan, too. They were all great. I love Kyle's toughness. He is just is so determined to do whatever it takes to help the team win. You could say that for the others, too; but that toughness trait stand outs with Kyle.

I hope winning these two games is helping the team build its confidence and will carry over to the Big Dance. I am getting good vibes from this team and expect them to make a much deeper run than most of the pundits think. Hard to call a 27 win team in the best Conference a sleeper, but in a way, I think the national perception from the past few years tourney failures will help keep the pressure off of us. We just might sneak up on people.

Madrasdukie
03-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Thought about Nolan, and Jon. Nolan's performance was important esp. for his confidence, and the future of this team. Jon was just being very consistent and and it is great to see him take (and make) jumpshots in the flow of our offense.
But I didn't think either deserves player of the game.

My vote is for Kyle esp. given his rebounding in a game where we were outrebounded by a team with an unimposing front line.

mgtr
03-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Well, I voted for Scheyer, because he stroked the 3s when we needed them, as well as free throws. But I understand why somebody would vote for Singler, McClure, or Smith. Welcome back, Nolan, glad to see you getting back to normal -- you made a difference.

Bob Green
03-14-2009, 07:05 PM
My vote is for Kyle esp. given his rebounding in a game where we were outrebounded by a team with an unimposing front line.

Per the ESPN Box Score (http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290730150), Duke and Maryland each had 28 rebounds. Duke had 14 offensive boards to Maryland's 12.

natkap
03-14-2009, 07:08 PM
I voted for Jon. He was very consistent during this game and it looks like he's back to his old self. He seems to really like the corner and that's a great advantage for us.

pamtar
03-14-2009, 07:29 PM
So, you're rating Vasquez higher than the entire Duke squad? Interesting.

And Hayes is rated higher than the entire Maryland team?? Silly wabbit.

No comment. I haven't a clue what any of these numbers mean anyway. Okay.... I gotta ask: why the parentheses surrounding Zoubek's rating? If it's a negative rating, couldn't you just use a minus sign? Oh, never mind.

What does this post have to do with the MOTM thread besides revealing that you haven't read the whole thing? Blatant negativity on the internet is a sign of dweebdom.

I for one appreciate a statistical comparison that supports the idea of this thread.

Newton_14
03-14-2009, 07:57 PM
I went with Jon today. In a game where points were hard to come by, he stepped up and hit a bunch of critical shots. His 3 in the first half from the top of the key off the Singler screen was huge. He hit so many big shots today I had to give him the edge.

I loved seeing Nolan play well and his contribution today was huge as well. But overall a total team effort today added up to the win. Paulus provided a boost and hit a key 3, E-Will had 3 big rebounds in the 2nd half plus the putback that bailed us out on a broken set, McClure's great D, rebounding, and surprise offense, especially loved seeing him take the thug Neal to the rack. And Kyle was everywhere. He hit big 3's in the first half when the offense was struggling and rebounded like a warrior. Gerald hit a big 3 during the decisive run, plus had the great assist to McClure on the fast break and the assist to Jon on the fast break. So even though he struggled a bit with his O today he contributed on 8 of the points during the run to break the game open.

And finally, every single one of our kids played tremendous defense today. Maryland earned every point they got. Our kids overcame alot of things today in a very physical and very oddly ref'd game, and showed good mental toughness to play through all of that and get the win.

micah75
03-14-2009, 08:01 PM
What does this post have to do with the MOTM thread besides revealing that you haven't read the whole thing? Blatant negativity on the internet is a sign of dweebdom.

Did I come across as being that negative? I'm sorry if I did. I wrote and posted it before I saw ACC's reply to Jumbo. However, I still don't understand the explanation, or the "equation", as someone put it.

I for one appreciate a statistical comparison that supports the idea of this thread.

I believe this to be the case for most sports fans, myself included.

Jumbo
03-14-2009, 08:19 PM

Your +/- metrics are much more telling, and I do this as a supplement. They usually align fairly well.

So it's just adding up all the columns in a box score?

Jumbo
03-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Per the ESPN Box Score (http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290730150), Duke and Maryland each had 28 rebounds. Duke had 14 offensive boards to Maryland's 12.

Don't use the ESPN box. Use the official one (http://www.goduke.com/pdf4/388179.pdf?ATCLID=3692733&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200)-- we got outrebounded by five.

Madrasdukie
03-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Fair enough. I was going by what I heard from one of the announcers after the game. I would still make the case, given the comparable rebounding numbers of both teams and Maryland's unimposing frontline, that every rebound we had (and Kyle had) contributed more than usual towards our win - and Kyle had six more than the next highest rebounder on our team.

Bob Green
03-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Don't use the ESPN box. Use the official one (http://www.goduke.com/pdf4/388179.pdf?ATCLID=3692733&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200)-- we got outrebounded by five.

Good advice. ESPN always has the numbers up first, which probably accounts for their inaccuracies.

captmojo
03-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Crazy me. I thought most of these votes were stat based. :D

I voted Scheyer due to the fact that with the lack of offensive penetration, his shots from the outside provided points on the board when really, really needed.

jpfrizzle
03-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Go David McClure ! ! !

Go DUKE ! ! ! !

juise
03-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I had to go with Nolan. His speed and defense on the floor were huge today. The bonus of a little scoring didn't hurt either. It has great to see him playing well again and we absolutely needed it today.

jv001
03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Now this one was not a clear cut choice. However I went with Jon. He once again handled the ball with only 1 TO while scoring 22 pts. Good shooting. I could just have easily voted for Kyle, Nolan or Dave. All played very well. Go Duke!

Jumbo
03-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Good advice. ESPN always has the numbers up first, which probably accounts for their inaccuracies.

It looks like ESPN's early box score just didn't have "team rebounds" up. And there were a ton of them in this game -- so many balls knocked out of bounds after a shot.

Bob Green
03-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Nolan Smith also dished out three assists and had zero turnovers in the game. It's great that we had so many legitimate choices for MOTM. Smith, Scheyer, Singler, and McClure all had solid performances.