PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tournament: Maryland/Wake

hurleyfor3
03-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Discuss this specific game in this thread.

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm looking forward to this game, it should be great. I really don't know who I'd rather play (assuming we win our game). I'm leaning towards Wake, but if Maryland wins tonight, they will have a better chance of making the NCAA's. While I'm not a supporter of the twerps by a long shot, I want as many ACC reps as we can get in.

sagegrouse
03-13-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm looking forward to this game, it should be great. I really don't know who I'd rather play (assuming we win our game). I'm leaning towards Wake, but if Maryland wins tonight, they will have a better chance of making the NCAA's. While I'm not a supporter of the twerps by a long shot, I want as many ACC reps as we can get in.

My own preference is for there to be the maximum confusion on any game day, which typically involves the favorite losing, except for Duke. Go, underdogs! I made exceptions this week in rooting for Oklahoma (Capel, natch) against the OSU Cowboys and in rooting for FSU against Ga. Tech. (UNC deserves the toughest opponent possible.)

FWIW I would like to see UMd win tonight and make the NCAAs. However, it is mostly because I want to see Wake lose. Duke, which has a good match-up against the Terps, deserves the easiest opponent possible.

OTOH the ACC is a more interesting place because Gary Williams is the Maryland coach, and I would be happy to see the Terps in the NCAAs. He is one of the few characters left on the coaching scene, even with all the evident neuroses. (I mean, why does he scream at the players on the bench when the players on the court screw up? Why is his paranoia so evident when everyone else's is carefully tucked away?)

Of course, namesake Roy is a hoot: his down-home, syrupy schtick contains no sugar molecules, just chemicals (i.e., saccharine). And I think his injury riff is just a plea for attention (Drama Queen).

Everyone else is seriously buttoned-down. I mean, in the old days, we had Bones, Lefty, Valvano, Cremins (who was a totally unintentional character), the zany Pete Gillen, and even Mr. Negative, Billy Packer.

A special place in the Hall of Legends must be created for the incomparable and ever-strutting Frank McGuire and the Gray Fox, Everett Case. McGuire, despite his coaching and recruiting expertise, was a serious train wreck: through his transgressions, he almost got the UNC trustees to drop basketball as a sport. Then he got the Gamecocks to drop out of the ACC, in favor of the SEC -- a terrible move at the time and in retrospective. I'll let other old-timers recall stories about the Gray Fox.

sagegrouse

captmojo
03-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Seeing as how Wake has problems when not being able to view tie-dye and spinning umbrellas in the stands, the implications for a twerp win...I'm picking Md. Then, on Saturday, may they re-locate to the nether regions.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-13-2009, 06:37 PM
My own preference is for there to be the maximum confusion on any game day, which typically involves the favorite losing, except for Duke. Go, underdogs! I made exceptions this week in rooting for Oklahoma (Capel, natch) against the OSU Cowboys and in rooting for FSU against Ga. Tech. (UNC deserves the toughest opponent possible.)

FWIW I would like to see UMd win tonight and make the NCAAs. However, it is mostly because I want to see Wake lose. Duke, which has a good match-up against the Terps, deserves the easiest opponent possible.

OTOH the ACC is a more interesting place because Gary Williams is the Maryland coach, and I would be happy to see the Terps in the NCAAs. He is one of the few characters left on the coaching scene, even with all the evident neuroses. (I mean, why does he scream at the players on the bench when the players on the court screw up? Why is his paranoia so evident when everyone else's is carefully tucked away?)

Of course, namesake Roy is a hoot: his down-home, syrupy schtick contains no sugar molecules, just chemicals (i.e., saccharine). And I think his injury riff is just a plea for attention (Drama Queen).

Everyone else is seriously buttoned-down. I mean, in the old days, we had Bones, Lefty, Valvano, Cremins (who was a totally unintentional character), the zany Pete Gillen, and even Mr. Negative, Billy Packer.

A special place in the Hall of Legends must be created for the incomparable and ever-strutting Frank McGuire and the Gray Fox, Everett Case. McGuire, despite his coaching and recruiting expertise, was a serious train wreck: through his transgressions, he almost got the UNC trustees to drop basketball as a sport. Then he got the Gamecocks to drop out of the ACC, in favor of the SEC -- a terrible move at the time and in retrospective. I'll let other old-timers recall stories about the Gray Fox.

sagegrouse

Ahhhh, ole Frank McGuire. What a character! Despite his high standard of living (we'd call that high maintenance now), he did bring about some changes to basketball that were part of the evolution to today. I think I remember reading that when he first arrived at CH, it was common for college players to carpool in their own cars to drive to games..... smoking car last. McGuire began to use motor coaches.

Everett Case brought some much to what has become the ACC.... for example, the style of tournament including the single elimination model. He was college basketball in this regions for years..... prompting Carolina to hire McGuire and later Duke to hire Bubas who had played for Case.

Haven't thought about it in a while, but the coaching tree which includes Everett Case truly goes back to the beginning of basketball. Though some don't want to hear it, Dean Smith is a part of the other venerated coaching tree with roots back to the beginning of basketball. It's quite remarkable that both trees spread to the state of North Carolina eventually to the two schools which most embody the best college basketball in the country. The connection to the two major coaching trees is embedded in the rivalry everybody loves to follow..... perhaps a bit like the Montagues and the Capulets, forever feuding.

captmojo
03-13-2009, 06:48 PM
I heard that when asked to make a prediction in tonight's Wake/Md game, Mr. Packer selected UNC.

4decadedukie
03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
I loathe Maryland Men’s Basketball, now more than ever. A great deal of this results from 27 years in Fairfax County, and the DC media's unsurprising love affair with a major, local team plus their expected – but entirely unjustified and irrational – always positive treatment of Gary Williams and his “Fear the Classroom/A Mind is a Terrapin thing to Waste” program. Add to this the Terps’ hateful treatment of all-things-Duke, which really infuriates me (for example, I attended the game in College Park where Carols Boozer’s mother was struck with a thrown object, where bottles, water, batteries and coins were thrown at our bench and all seated proximate to it, and where it became evident that both University officials and coaches tacitly approved – perhaps even encouraged – this type of boorishness and reprehensible behavior) and my lifelong abhorrence for UMd is solidified. In essence, there’s a reason Mrs. Krzyzewski refuses to attend ACC games only in College Park.

With this said, the clear reason to root for Maryland tonight is, in my opinion, they are likely to be an easier team for Duke to defeat on Saturday than Wake Forest. However, notwithstanding that solid rationale, I have to support Wake; it is an excellent university (Maryland, in my opinion, is not), a virtuous program (again, Maryland is not), with an outstanding and thoroughly gentlemanly coach (the antithesis of Gary Williams), and a worthy rival (Maryland craves the stature implied as a worthy Duke adversary).

For tonight only, Go Deacs.

BlueintheFace
03-13-2009, 06:56 PM
My Hope: David Neal 8 for 8 from three, 35 pts, a win, and a broken bone... jk (kind of)

captmojo
03-13-2009, 08:05 PM
I haven't seen this many missed shots since the first time I watched "The A Team".

notacolour
03-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Dumb foul by Vasquez there. Now he gets to watch his team try to give it away from the bench.

feldspar
03-13-2009, 08:56 PM
I smell a Wake Forest comeback.

notacolour
03-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I smell a Wake Forest comeback.

So much for that.

DukieInBrasil
03-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Did MD just play it´s way back into a tourney seed? Could they get a 12 seed by reaching the ACC semis?

gep
03-13-2009, 09:11 PM
With this said, the clear reason to root for Maryland tonight is, in my opinion, they are likely to be an easier team for Duke to defeat on Saturday than Wake Forest.

Well... seems like a bunch of higher seed teams are going down...

Got to make sure we concentrate on BC first.. :cool:

roywhite
03-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Bye bye, Tie-Dye!

WeepingThomasHill
03-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Vasquez is putting this ratty team on his back. Terps are looking tough, and if we can make it past BC, tomorrow will be a real challenge. Dave Neal will be frothing at the mouth to goon one of our guys again.

4decadeDukie, your comments about "Wake is a fine university and Maryland is not" are lame and obnoxious. Both are good schools - why introduce petty insults?

sandinmyshoes
03-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Take care of BC and Duke will be taking on a team that will be playing its third game in as many days. Better than facing an unpredictable Wake squad.

SMO
03-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Bye bye, Tie-Dye!

And Mike Patrick proclaimed Maryland now has an opportunity to make some noise in the championship game...he must think today is Saturday.

jv001
03-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Vasquez is putting this ratty team on his back. Terps are looking tough, and if we can make it past BC, tomorrow will be a real challenge. Dave Neal will be frothing at the mouth to goon one of our guys again.

4decadeDukie, your comments about "Wake is a fine university and Maryland is not" are lame and obnoxious. Both are good schools - why introduce petty insults?

Md is not a bad university, just has some very stupid fans. Go Duke!