PDA

View Full Version : champions league

jimbonelson
04-10-2007, 09:06 PM
i have a question about the soccer tournament going on in europe. roma beat manchesher united last week in the "first leg" manchester won today and they moved on to the final four. why was there not a best of 3?

Lavabe
04-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Man U won 7-1 at home. :eek: Roma won at home last week 2-1. That yields a goal aggregate WELL in favor of ManU.

They advance, as does Chelsea, who got in on a goal in the 91st minute. No goal in stoppage time would have sent Chelsea packing.

Liverpool get their chance tomorrow night at Anfield. They beat PSV away 3-0.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Reisen
04-11-2007, 12:19 AM
I think we all need to take a second to reflect on the uber-pwnage Man U laid on Roma tonight. 7-1 in a Champions League semifinal is unheard of. Couldn't have happened to a dirtier team, either. Roma is everything that's wrong with soccer.

I'm no Man U fan (will be watching that Liverpool game, though), but this would be like the 49ers beating the Eagles 72-3 in a playoff game.

DevilWolf
04-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Like the 49ers would ever be in the playoffs. :-)

I love the Champions League format, and in my opinion, the soccer is 10 times more enjoyable than the World Cup minus the spectacle that makes that event truly special.

The Liverpool/Milan final from two years ago still might be one of the best games I've ever seen. Speaking of Liverpool, I think they have a shot to destroy PSV today at home. They've got one of the best counter-attacks in the game, and you know PSV will be attacking in full force trying to make up the 3-0 defecit. I just hope Rafa doesn't keep the team in a shell.

No mention of Chelsea going through on a 90th minunte goal yesterday?

By the way, the format is as follows:

1) Aggregate score from 1st and 2nd leg
2) If tied, the team who scored more away goals would go through ... so for instance, if PSV wins 4-1 today, it would be 4-4 on aggregate, but PSV would go through with 4 away goals to 3.
3) If tied after away goals, extra time is played, but I can't remember how long they play before going to penalties.

Deslok
04-11-2007, 04:17 PM
There are 2 15 minute halves played of added extra time. Its not played as golden goal situation, so even if a team scores, the full time is played out, enabling a team to come back. This situation played out in the first knockout stage when Milan needed an a.e.t. goal to dispatch Celtic.

And Chelsea would not have been out had Essien not hammered his strike home. Both their home and away legs would have ended in 1-1 draws, so they would have gone to extra time, and for most of the 2nd half, Chelsea had been dominating play(after being very fortunate to emerge only down 1 from a badly played first half). The performance by United vs Roma was just stunning. Its being described as perhaps the finest game by an English club team in Europe, ever. Its one thing if they had beaten one of the qualifiers from an also ran league in the early rounds like this, but Roma is the 2nd place team in Serie A(admittedly in a watered down year, with Juve playing in Serie B and the various penalties imposed for the refereeing scandal there, but it is still one of the 3 superleagues in the world).

duke74
04-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Juve is top of the table in Serie B. Back to the bigs next year!

Lavabe
04-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Peter Crouch, busted nose and all, gets the goal in the 67th minute.
Gerrard did not start.

On to face ... Chelsea.

You'll never walk alone!
Cheers,
Lavabe