PDA

View Full Version : (18) Syracuse 127, (3) Connecticut 117 6OT

slower
03-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Now going into 3rd OT. This one has been epic.

dukemsu
03-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Well played game, but looks as if the Connvicts will pull away in the third OT.

Still not impressed with Thabeet. I get that he changes shots, but fundamentally he is average at best. He will look great on the end of someone's bench at the next level.

dukemsu

Tappan Zee Devil
03-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Now going into 3rd OT. This one has been epic.

Where's Freddy Lind when you need him? :D

bfree
03-13-2009, 12:35 AM
!!!!

slower
03-13-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm getting tired, but I can't stop watching now!

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2009, 12:37 AM
WOW

4 OT
snrubbin

Bluedog
03-13-2009, 12:38 AM
One of the greatest games I've ever seen...But come on! Foul out Thabeet and Price! They've had four fouls since the end of regulation....actually, 4 players on Uconn have had 4 since then. Everybody is in foul trouble. ONLY 7 players have played for syracuse, i think. THey are going to be tired tomorrow.

jipops
03-13-2009, 12:40 AM
I have to be up for work in a few hours, but no way I can leave this game. unbelieveable.

Thabeet just fouled out.

WVU is loving this right now.

Greg_Newton
03-13-2009, 12:41 AM
About time they called Thabeet for that push-off. He's been getting away with that all year.

102-102 halfway through OT #4? What an epic game.

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2009, 12:43 AM
both teams looking tired. awesome game

ice-9
03-13-2009, 12:43 AM
Go Orange!!!

With Pitt, Oklahoma, and now possibly U-Conn going down, the path to a #1 seed is open to us. :)

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2009, 12:44 AM
About time they called Thabeet for that push-off. He's been getting away with that all year.

Theeeya!

Greg_Newton
03-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Jeeeez that was a heartbreaking bounce for Flynn! Beautiful move, that would have been huge...

superdave
03-13-2009, 12:46 AM
If UConn loses tonight or tomorrow, this sets up Louisville for #1 seed. Hmmm. I have not seen them play for more than ten minutes this year.

How badly does Conn miss their guard who tore his miniscus?

zingit
03-13-2009, 12:46 AM
This is awesome. I kind of want it to go onto 5OT, just for the heck of it. (I'm on spring break.)

Edited to add: AND IT IS! FIFTH OT!!!!!!

dukemsu
03-13-2009, 12:47 AM
I am by no means a Devendorf fan, but to play 57 minutes at that level is impressive. Some kind of athlete.

dukemsu

Bluedog
03-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Five ot!!!! Syracuse had so many opportunities at the end...like 5 layup attempts that just didn't fall. HOLY MOLEY!!

Acymetric
03-13-2009, 12:48 AM
No way that wasn't a foul. There were about 6 fouls on that possession, come on. If its there call it, doesn't matter when in the game!

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2009, 12:49 AM
5. super wow.

slower
03-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Are you freaking kidding me? But Harris DID get hammered on that last shot.

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Five ot!!!! Syracuse had so many opportunities at the end...like 5 layup attempts that just didn't fall. HOLY MOLEY!!
You can tell both are tired, I was surprised uconn's didn't drop. Go 'Cuse!

dukemsu
03-13-2009, 12:50 AM
UConn gets all the calls!

Seriously, that was butchery on the last possession. Knowing the Orange, they may have clanked the free throws anyway, but ol' Whiney has a gripe on that one.

dukemsu

InSpades
03-13-2009, 12:51 AM
He got killed on the 2nd chance, you have to call it (but I guess you don't...)

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2009, 12:52 AM
whatta stupid charge.
very tired

jipops
03-13-2009, 12:53 AM
AJ Price has been impressive.

dukemsu
I am way past the threshold of being completely annoyed with Calhoun. How does this guy not just get killed for his bullying and whining? I know the answer, it is a 4 letter network that starts with E and ends with SPN, but the guy is certainly not the most likable.

dukemsu

zingit
AJ Price has been superb.

You gotta feel for Syracuse missing all those shots right at the basket.

jipops
03-13-2009, 12:57 AM
I cannot believe that Cuse has not led in any of the OT's. That is amazing.

Bluedog
03-13-2009, 12:58 AM
AJ Price has been superb.

You gotta feel for Syracuse missing all those shots right at the basket.

Syracuse has not had the lead since 71-70 or something like that. That is insane. They've had sooo many layups not fall that could have won it. Come on 'Cuse!

slower
03-13-2009, 12:58 AM
High drama here, folks.

geraldsneighbor
03-13-2009, 12:59 AM
This is insane. Keep it going boys. I'm not ready for bed yet!

dukemsu
03-13-2009, 01:00 AM
Ordinarily I am not a big believer in kids not being able to recover quickly, but there is no way either of these teams can be 100% to face WVU later today.

dukemsu

jipops
03-13-2009, 01:02 AM
6 anyone?

zingit
03-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Let's go for SIX!

Bluedog
03-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Ordinarily I am not a big believer in kids not being able to recover quickly, but there is no way either of these teams can be 100% to face WVU later today.

dukemsu

Yeah, WVU is going to destroy. I wonder if the committee is going to take that into account. ;) SIX OT!

dukemsu
03-13-2009, 01:04 AM

Yikes.

dukemsu

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2009, 01:04 AM
6!!!!!!!! are we allowed to cuss now?!!!!

dukemsu
03-13-2009, 01:05 AM
Yeah, WVU is going to destroy. I wonder if the committee is going to take that into account. ;) SIX OT!

At this point, I doubt the committee will penalize whoever loses.

dukemsu

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2009, 01:06 AM
This game is of less ultimate importance, but I'm now sure that it will overtake Duke-UK as the best game ever played. This is absolutely amazing, I'm so happy I'm an insomniac. WOW!!!!

jipops
Take all the players off the floor and just leave Johnny Flynn vs. AJ Price.

Greg_Newton
I can't wait until OT #17 in about 3 hours when it's just walk-ons and managers battling it out. This is insane, and so are AJ Price and Johnny Flynn for still having that kind of bounce this late into the game.

Dangerous time for UConn here, 'Cuse could start running away with it... fingers crossed they do...

dukemsu
03-13-2009, 01:10 AM
We should know this better than most: the Connvicts are never really dead.

dukemsu

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Syracuse hit the coffee, they are alive now, found second legs from somewhere, missed a dunk, so still tired, but followed with the shot and foul.

moonpie23
03-13-2009, 01:13 AM
attrition...

dukemsu
03-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Not that I am into lines, but you have to wonder if Vegas takes WVU-this game's survivor off the board. At worst, WVU will be a double-digit favorite.

dukemsu

cato
03-13-2009, 01:16 AM
Harris ices 2 free throws. Close it out, Orangedudes.

Greg_Newton
03-13-2009, 01:18 AM
"Syracuse has made 18 of its 20 free throws in the 6 overtimes". Wow.

EDIT: Make that 20 for 22.

-bdbd
03-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Wow!

With 1 minute to go in OT #6 (!) it looks as though the Orange are finally going to pull this one out. Wow! Can't believe they're still conscious! Some of those guys are over 90 minutes played in the last 30 hours... Great heart for the team coached by Coach K's buddy -- Jim B.

The Big East seems tournament seems headed Louisville's way! (Pencil them in as a #1 seed in NCAA's?)

This really has been a tremendous day for upsets - Kansas, Clemson, Oklahoma, Pitt and now UCONN. The potential #1 seeds are dropping like flies!

Let's hope Va Tech got the memo re upsets of #1 seeds!

-BDBD :D

jipops
03-13-2009, 01:22 AM
At one point the stats showed Syracuse 38-100 from the field.

Congrats Orangemen.

It's been fun and exhausting. I'm off to bed.

Bluedog
03-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Syracuse with the win!!!! I don't want to see them in our bracket....although after this they might be too exhausted to play in the NCAAs. ;)

FireOgilvie
03-13-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm exhausted just watching that one.

Greg_Newton
03-13-2009, 01:26 AM
How AJ Price still had it in him to smile and laugh when he hugged Johnny Flynn after the game is beyond me.

Ahhhhh I love March.

Pretty hilarious to see a 64-62 score with two minutes to go on the Sportscenter highlights. If they only knew what was ahead...

burnspbesq
03-13-2009, 01:34 AM
Wow. Just. Wow.

Didn't Duke lose an NCAA championship game in soccer in the 1980s that went eight overtimes?

InSpades
03-13-2009, 01:37 AM
They should have rules like hockey and soccer and just end it in a free throw shootout! :)

Acymetric
03-13-2009, 01:47 AM
They should have rules like hockey and soccer and just end it in a free throw shootout! :)

But games usually end that way already!

dukeballer2294
03-13-2009, 01:51 AM
what a game go orange

brevity
03-13-2009, 01:55 AM
This game is of less ultimate importance, but I'm now sure that it will overtake Duke-UK as the best game ever played. This is absolutely amazing, I'm so happy I'm an insomniac. WOW!!!!

People are going to throw a lot of superlatives at this game, but here's an interesting one: best quadruple-header ever? The Pitino Show, Villanova's last-second squeaker, WVU's upset of Pitt, and 6OT. The fans at MSG got their money's worth, even at New York prices.

Meanwhile, it's not even 11pm here. West Coast, people. Look into it.

pfrduke
03-13-2009, 01:57 AM
People are going to throw a lot of superlatives at this game, but here's an interesting one: best quadruple-header ever? The Pitino Show, Villanova's last-second squeaker, WVU's upset of Pitt, and 6OT. The fans at MSG got their money's worth, even at New York prices.

Meanwhile, it's not even 11pm here. West Coast, people. Look into it.

<nodding, smiling>

micah75
03-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Well I'll be doggoned. I turned it off a minute or two in the 1st overtime, when it looked as if Syracuse had been deflated after the regulation buzzer-beater was waved off. Figured it was a gimme that UConn would close it out strong. Bed time. Then insomnia. Then back online, checking scores. Figured there would be a thread about the game. Was surprised as I read along to discover that the game actually went into 2 overtimes. Then 3! Jimminy Christmas. 4?
No way. Then 5, then 6??? And I missed out on that? Good golly, Miss Molly!

Way to go, Cuse! I'm sure I will catch the highlights on Sportscenter in the morning, and PTI late afternoon...

BlueintheFace
03-13-2009, 03:09 AM
At one point the stats showed Syracuse 38-100 from the field.

Easiest... FG% Calculation.... EVER

dukelifer
03-13-2009, 06:27 AM
Well I'll be doggoned. I turned it off a minute or two in the 1st overtime, when it looked as if Syracuse had been deflated after the regulation buzzer-beater was waved off. Figured it was a gimme that UConn would close it out strong. Bed time. Then insomnia. Then back online, checking scores. Figured there would be a thread about the game. Was surprised as I read along to discover that the game actually went into 2 overtimes. Then 3! Jimminy Christmas. 4?
No way. Then 5, then 6??? And I missed out on that? Good golly, Miss Molly!

Way to go, Cuse! I'm sure I will catch the highlights on Sportscenter in the morning, and PTI late afternoon...

The highlights were as long as most college games- wow! Imagine losing that kind of game in the NCAA finals?

devildeac
03-13-2009, 08:02 AM
One of the greatest games I've ever seen...But come on! Foul out Thabeet and Price! They've had four fouls since the end of regulation....actually, 4 players on Uconn have had 4 since then. Everybody is in foul trouble. ONLY 7 players have played for syracuse, i think. THey are going to be tired tomorrow.

I looked at the box score this AM and was surprised that Shelden, Shav and Nick did not foul out of that game, too.:o:mad:

MChambers
03-13-2009, 08:17 AM
I looked at the box score this AM and was surprised that Shelden, Shav and Nick did not foul out of that game, too.:o:mad:

Maybe Daniel Ewing got a technical?

DukeUsul
03-13-2009, 08:53 AM
I went to bed at the beginning of the 4th OT. Work sucks.

What a great game. I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning (Gottlieb and someone else subbing) and they had the discussion with Andy Katz about whether this was the "best game ever" or at least in contention. I have to aggree with Gottlieb.... it can't be, because the outcome just isn't as important as so many other games. Take the Hill-to-Laettner game. That was for way more marbles than a Big East quarterfinal.

PumpkinFunk
03-13-2009, 09:30 AM
I went to bed at the beginning of the 4th OT. Work sucks.

What a great game. I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning (Gottlieb and someone else subbing) and they had the discussion with Andy Katz about whether this was the "best game ever" or at least in contention. I have to aggree with Gottlieb.... it can't be, because the outcome just isn't as important as so many other games. Take the Hill-to-Laettner game. That was for way more marbles than a Big East quarterfinal.

The importance of the game to the rest of the season is definitely not in question (Actually, I'd say we don't know the impact of this game yet), but that doesn't mean that it isn't going to be remembered as "one of those games" that you wish you had seen. 6OT doesn't happen often, especially not between two teams of this caliber, and especially not on this sort of stage. Maybe this wasn't as good all-around as Pitt-UConn or Duke-Carolina, but it still was just one of those games nobody will ever forget. 'Cuse willed themselves back from a 6-point deficit in 3OT, overcame terrible shooting in OT, and still won over still-designated-#1 seed UConn. This was an amazing game, no matter how you try and frame it.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2009, 10:03 AM
That was like the 4OT Capitals/Islanders NHL playoff game from the 1980s: after a certain point you don't care about how little sleep you get because you HAVE to watch the whole thing. Great game. The Cuse deserved the win.

sagegrouse
03-13-2009, 10:51 AM
That was like the 4OT Capitals/Islanders NHL playoff game from the 1980s: after a certain point you don't care about how little sleep you get because you HAVE to watch the whole thing. Great game. The Cuse deserved the win.

Great minds think alike. I was going to post this comparison, and for me at least, they were similar in one other way.

In 1987 I returned from a full day's activites in the Florida Keys to my hotel in Homestead (pre Andrew). I turned on the Caps-Islanders match and it was midway through the third period. Too bad, I said, I would like to have watched more. Well I got to watch 3.5 periods more before it was resolved.

Last night, I happened to turn on the Syracuse-UConn game, and there were only 21 seconds left. (I didn't say, "too bad," because I had been watching basketball for several hours.) Then I got to watch 30:21 of hoops.

sagegrouse

DukeUsul
03-13-2009, 11:15 AM
I was thinking of the Penguins Flyers 5OT game from 2000. I recall staying up watching that..... 90+ minutes of OT! I finally called it quits and went to bed.... only to find out the next morning that 1 minute 30 secs after I went to bed my Flyers scored to win it. At least last night, when I went to bed, there were still 3 more OTs to go through.

jimsumner
03-13-2009, 11:15 AM
In case you missed it,

"Syracuse's Six-Overtime win over UConn is an Instant Classic on ESPN Classic and ESPNU Today
ESPNU will replay Syracuse's six-overtime win Thursday night over Connecticut in the quarterfinal of the Big East tournament as an Instant Classic today at 3 p.m., ET. ESPN Classic will also replay the upset at 11:30 a.m.. Syracuse outlasted Connecticut in the second-longest Division I game ever. Andy Rautins hit a 3-pointer 10 seconds into the sixth overtime, giving the Orange their first lead since regulation and they went on to a 127-117 victory over the third-ranked Huskies"

BD80
03-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Easiest... FG% Calculation.... EVER

Nope, our bench FG shooting at Carolina. 0-2.

blueprofessor
03-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Wetzel's article at Yahoo! Sports:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-syruconn031309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Flynn played 67 of 70 minutes
3:46 length
6 OTs tied for 2nd-most in Div.1 history
102 OT points are NCAA record
5 UConn players with 10 or more rebounds.'Cuse had 1 player with 10 or more rebounds

See box score:cool:

Best--Blueprof:)

BlueDevilJay
03-13-2009, 11:22 AM
In case you missed it,

"Syracuse's Six-Overtime win over UConn is an Instant Classic on ESPN Classic and ESPNU Today
ESPNU will replay Syracuse's six-overtime win Thursday night over Connecticut in the quarterfinal of the Big East tournament as an Instant Classic today at 3 p.m., ET. ESPN Classic will also replay the upset at 11:30 a.m.. Syracuse outlasted Connecticut in the second-longest Division I game ever. Andy Rautins hit a 3-pointer 10 seconds into the sixth overtime, giving the Orange their first lead since regulation and they went on to a 127-117 victory over the third-ranked Huskies"

Thanks for the info, thats what I came in here looking for. Can't believe I missed the game, fell asleep during the first half actually.

KandG
03-13-2009, 12:01 PM
I wasn't especially interested in watching the game but tuned in toward the end of regulation when I saw that Syracuse was involved in a tight one with my least favorite team. I had no idea I would then stay up for another hour and 45 minutes watching an amazing game play itself out.

The quality of play was actually sloppy in most of the overtimes, and the fact that this was a second round conference tournament game involving two teams already in the tournament disqualifies it (just my opinion) from being the "greatest game ever". I really enjoyed the game, but I didn't feel the same sense of tension that I would from an NCAA tournament game, or even a very heated regular season game between rivals with something at stake.

But the game was classic in its own way because of the way Syracuse kept coming back despite being short handed, and never holding a lead until the *sixth* overtime. That's just amazing to me -- you kept expecting Syracuse to fold, and they always found a way to come back. And then they had a chance to win it in the fourth overtime, and flubbed three or four point blank chances. All the little details, the signs of exhaustion on the players with each successive overtime, the presence of walk-ons, the subtle changes in dynamics, made it a very great game. Boeheim really should be very proud of his players for the effort they put out there.

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2009, 12:11 PM
The quality of play was actually sloppy in most of the overtimes, and the fact that this was a second round conference tournament game involving two teams already in the tournament disqualifies it (just my opinion) from being the "greatest game ever".
I think it was pretty obvious by the number of missed shots from the paint (and even dunks) that both teams were flat out exhausted. Anybody will be "sloppy" when you can barely run up the court. Those guys were being driven by adrenaline alone I think.

InSpades
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
One of the more impressive stats from the game is that Syracuse had *only* 16 turnovers. That's a good number for playing 70 minutes of basketball, but when you consider how tired they had to be by the end it is amazing how well they held onto the ball. UConn had a few turnovers in the last overtimes that really killed them.

Cameron
03-13-2009, 12:43 PM
This was the greatest regular season or conference tournament game of all-time.

I'm sure there will be some older folks who will dismiss that for the Maryland-NC State triple OT game in the ACC Tournament final, but I don't think you can discount six extra sessions between two elite teams in a conference tournament. The play might have been "sloppy" in overtimes two, three, four, five, and six at times, but come on, these kids were playing ball on the postseason stage, under the bright lights of Broadway, fighting for a chance to win a title in, what I now believe to be, the toughest conference in basketball, for nearly four hours.

This game was everything a classic should be. High drama, huge shots, last second clutch threes, thunderous dunks, supreme athleticism, a packed house, two powerhouse programs and historic greats in college basketball, and hall-of-famer coaches, no matter how big a snake Calhoun is. This game had it all. And I would argue that overtime number four was some of the best back and forth basketball I've ever witnessed. Not on the level of Duke-Kentucky, but it certainly deserves its own place in history. The way Devendorf and Price and Flynn were trading heavyweight bout blows, one after another, was simply amazing.

Like many said about the Duke-Kentucky game in 1992, we can't thank those kids enough for what they gave us basketball fans last night.

jjasper0729
03-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I think you count Maryland/NCSU higher because of the era. The loser didn't get to go to the NCAA Tournament and it was in the final, not the quarters.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Also: you could tell the announcers (McDounough/Bilas/Raftery) were loving every minute of it and well congnizant of its historical importance. I think I *would* have gone to bed if it were Dicky V.

grossbus
03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
"About time they called Thabeet for that push-off. He's been getting away with that all year."

he sure got away with it a lot last night! it is blatant.

Cameron
03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I think you count Maryland/NCSU higher because of the era. The loser didn't get to go to the NCAA Tournament and it was in the final, not the quarters.

I knew that would be the argument -- the era -- but I still don't agree.

Six overtimes at this level, on this stage, between two all-time great programs, inside the basketball mecca of the world, is too much to ignore. All the big shots, all the drama, the four hours of epic tension.

I'm going with Syracuse-Connecticut.

Of course, I didn't see Maryland-NC State, but I can't imagine it could have been more unbelievable than what we saw last night. After watching it all unfold early this morning, I called a friend up and said, "This has ruined the rest of the season. Everything that happens here on out will be completely anti-climatic. It will take eight overtimes to beat it."

I think that's the sign of a tremendous, once in a lifetime type sporting event. We may never see anything like it again.

Neals384
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
My favorite part was seeing Syracuse walk-on Justin Thomas enter the game in the 5th OT. Thomas had one block and one rebound in 7 minutes.

Walk-ons of the world - be ready, you never know!

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/13/for-orange-walk-on-a-big-red-moment/

dukie8
03-13-2009, 01:39 PM
i can't believe that syracuse only has 8 guys who played all year. is there any other team whose 9th guy basically sat the entire season?

DukeUsul
03-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I knew that would be the argument -- the era -- but I still don't agree.

Six overtimes at this level, on this stage, between two all-time great programs, inside the basketball mecca of the world, is too much to ignore. All the big shots, all the drama, the four hours of epic tension.

I'm going with Syracuse-Connecticut.

Of course, I didn't see Maryland-NC State, but I can't imagine it could have been more unbelievable than what we saw last night. After watching it all unfold early this morning, I called a friend up and said, "This has ruined the rest of the season. Everything that happens here on out will be completely anti-climatic. It will take eight overtimes to beat it."

I think that's the sign of a tremendous, once in a lifetime type sporting event. We may never see anything like it again.

I just don't understand this argument. You said this game had it all. I disagree. This game had no meaning. It was a quarterfinal game between two teams, both of which are going to the NCAA's for sure and either of which would likely lose today to WVU after all that. So yes it was a phenomenal game but..... who cares? I wasn't alive to watch the NCSU/MD game of 74 but that one had TWO important meanings. Firstly, it was the championship. It was for all the ACC marbles. Secondly, only the winner could go to the NCAAs.

I agree that last night's game was a great game, but the lack of meaning to it knocks it out of contention of best conference tournament game ever.

Just like the Bradley-Cincinnati 7OT game.... why does no one ever hold it up as the greatest game ever? Because it had no meaning.

77devil
03-13-2009, 03:03 PM
This was the greatest regular season or conference tournament game of all-time.

I'm sure there will be some older folks who will dismiss that for the Maryland-NC State triple OT game in the ACC Tournament final, but I don't think you can discount six extra sessions between two elite teams in a conference tournament. The play might have been "sloppy" in overtimes two, three, four, five, and six at times, but come on, these kids were playing ball on the postseason stage, under the bright lights of Broadway, fighting for a chance to win a title in, what I now believe to be, the toughest conference in basketball, for nearly four hours.

This game was everything a classic should be. High drama, huge shots, last second clutch threes, thunderous dunks, supreme athleticism, a packed house, two powerhouse programs and historic greats in college basketball, and hall-of-famer coaches, no matter how big a snake Calhoun is. This game had it all. And I would argue that overtime number four was some of the best back and forth basketball I've ever witnessed. Not on the level of Duke-Kentucky, but it certainly deserves its own place in history. The way Devendorf and Price and Flynn were trading heavyweight bout blows, one after another, was simply amazing.

Like many said about the Duke-Kentucky game in 1992, we can't thank those kids enough for what they gave us basketball fans last night.

I saw both. The level of play in the 1974 ACC final was better but last night's game had more extended drama because of the six overtimes. The tip of the scales for me goes to the 1974 ACC final because it was the conference championship and the only entrance to the Big Dance. Last night's game was largely meaningless beyond the contest itself.

The 1974 ACC final was a single overtime incidentally. It and the 1992 Duke Kentucky game are frequently and mistakenly cited as multiple overtime contests.

slower
03-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I just don't understand this argument. You said this game had it all. I disagree. This game had no meaning. It was a quarterfinal game between two teams, both of which are going to the NCAA's for sure and either of which would likely lose today to WVU after all that. So yes it was a phenomenal game but..... who cares? I wasn't alive to watch the NCSU/MD game of 74 but that one had TWO important meanings. Firstly, it was the championship. It was for all the ACC marbles. Secondly, only the winner could go to the NCAAs.

I agree that last night's game was a great game, but the lack of meaning to it knocks it out of contention of best conference tournament game ever.

Just like the Bradley-Cincinnati 7OT game.... why does no one ever hold it up as the greatest game ever? Because it had no meaning.

Okay then, what if this game had been between Duke and Carolina in the ACC Tournament? What if loved/hated senior Greg Paulus had hit the 3 at the buzzer in regulation to win it, then had the call reversed? What if G had dominated early with his athleticism, just as Stanley Robinson did last night? What if most of the overtime had been a mano-a-mano, gut-check duel between Ty Lawson and Nolan or Elliott or Jon? What if Jon or Kyle had hit the huge threes like Andy Rautins? What if it had seemed like an inevitability that Carolina would win until Hansbrough (instead of Thabeet) fouled out in the fifth OT? What if Duke had never had a lead in OT until the very last OT? And what if the game ended with a lineup that included Marty and Steve Johnson on the floor?

Would THAT have made it more of a classic for you? Sometimes the "meaning" of a sporting contest is all about the human drama that's involved. So, even though there may not have been the same NCAA Tournament implications of the Md./NC St. game of 1974, it had just as much (if not more) drama and emotion than any other game I've ever seen.

Just MY two cents.

Cameron
03-13-2009, 03:15 PM

I wouldn't say it had no meaning. Both teams were not only playing for NCAA seeding (UConn for a one seed -- which they might still get) but also for a chance to move on and win a Big East Tournament championship. Outside of the Grand Daddy, the Big East Tournament in New York is the best conference tournament in college basketball. Year in and year out there have been so many classic confrontations, players, and coaches, some of the best basketball ever played. That tournament means a hell of a lot to those who play in it. Also, Syracuse and Connecticut are long time rivals, perhaps one of the best rivalries in the Big East. There's a reason Jim Calhoun once said, "Our number one goal here every year is to beat Syracuse."

Again, I'm not putting the game up on an NCAA Tournament level, because it most certainly was not. The NCAA truly is do or die, and those games mean more because of that. You lose, it is wait 'til next winter.

I am, however, saying that a very valid argument could be made that last night's game was the greatest non-NCAA game ever. When you are reaching five, six overtime sessions in a game at MSG in the Big East Tournament, between two top 10 programs all-time, you have something extraordinary. This was NOT a meaningless game. This was historic.

The Cincy-Baylor game was a regular season game between one all-time program and a nobody, in the middle of November probably. To compare that game to last night's is not a valid argument.

Cameron
03-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Okay then, what if this game had been between Duke and Carolina in the ACC Tournament? What if loved/hated senior Greg Paulus had hit the 3 at the buzzer in regulation to win it, then had the call reversed? What if G had dominated early with his athleticism, just as Stanley Robinson did last night? What if most of the overtime had been a mano-a-mano, gut-check duel between Ty Lawson and Nolan or Elliott or Jon? What if Jon or Kyle had hit the huge threes like Andy Rautins? What if it had seemed like an inevitability that Carolina would win until Hansbrough (instead of Thabeet) fouled out in the fifth OT? What if Duke had never had a lead in OT until the very last OT? And what if the game ended with a lineup that included Marty and Steve Johnson on the floor?

Would THAT have made it more of a classic for you? Sometimes the "meaning" of a sporting contest is all about the human drama that's involved. So, even though there may not have been the same NCAA Tournament implications of the Md./NC St. game of 1974, it had just as much (if not more) drama and emotion than any other game I've ever seen.

Just MY two cents.

Then we would have a lot of hypocrisy seeping through.

slower
03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
My point exactly.

DukeUsul
03-13-2009, 03:58 PM

Just MY two cents.

Your example reminds me of the Jeff Capel UNC-Duke game from 1995. It had lots of human drama. And it was a great game. And as a Duke fan it had a lot more personal meaning for me than last night's game. But again, in the grand scheme of things, it didn't really have too much meaning, other than the personal impact of the win. If your hypothetical referred to a Duke-UNC tourney quarterfinal game, I probably would rate it higher than last night's, if only because of the bias I have due to my personal involvement in the team.

I don't doubt that Syracuse and UConn fans would rate last night's game higher than non-affiliated fans do.

I would rank last night's game ahead of the 95 UNC-Duke game - not just because of the greater length, but because it was in fact in the conf tourney.

But even if your hypothetical game were in an ACC Tourney championship, I'd still have a hard time rating it "greater" than the Md/NCSU game because regardless of who wins the championship, our hypothetical Duke/UNC matchup still involves two teams bound to get #1/#2 NCAA seeds - it wouldn't send one team to the NIT.

I guess we all value the reward/risk of a game differently. I feel it puts the "greatness" of games on a different level. But that's just my opinion, and as someone said, we're all entitled to them. I'm not here to change any minds, I'm just here to put my opinion out there.

DukeUsul
03-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Then we would have a lot of hypocrisy seeping through.

That's a bold word to be throwing around.

InSpades
03-13-2009, 04:16 PM
The comparison to Duke vs. UNC is invalid because Duke would never play UNC in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament :).

hurleyfor3
03-13-2009, 04:26 PM
The comparison to Duke vs. UNC is invalid because Duke would never play UNC in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament :).

In fact we did in 2002.

throatybeard
03-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Your example reminds me of the Jeff Capel UNC-Duke game from 1995. It had lots of human drama. And it was a great game. And as a Duke fan it had a lot more personal meaning for me than last night's game. But again, in the grand scheme of things, it didn't really have too much meaning, other than the personal impact of the win. If your hypothetical referred to a Duke-UNC tourney quarterfinal game, I probably would rate it higher than last night's, if only because of the bias I have due to my personal involvement in the team.

I don't doubt that Syracuse and UConn fans would rate last night's game higher than non-affiliated fans do.

I would rank last night's game ahead of the 95 UNC-Duke game - not just because of the greater length, but because it was in fact in the conf tourney.

I love what Jeff Capel had to say about his shot in that game, on the UNC-slanted HBO documentary. "People think that shot won the game. I don't correct them."

blueprofessor
03-14-2009, 09:58 AM
http://rpc.blogrolling.com/redirect.php?r=0227e1a1d260406a8a5873a6fde43310&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww

Bialik points out that 5% of games are tied at the end of regulation,while 18% are tied at the end of overtime.:confused:
Compares Bradley--Cincy game with UCon--Syracuse.

Best--Blueprof:)

NSDukeFan
03-14-2009, 10:26 AM
So much for having nothing left for WVU. Wow, that's an impressive team. I don't know that I want to bet against them vs. Louisville.

bjornolf
03-14-2009, 11:31 AM
What about that Johnny Flynn? They go to overtime AGAIN and he plays 45 minutes and scores 14 points with 9 assists to 2 turnovers. He's played 147/155 minutes of basketball in the last three days. That's basically four games in three days. What a warrior. He'd get my vote for MVP if I had one, even if his team doesn't win.