PDA

View Full Version : MBB: West Virginia 74, (2) Pittsburgh 60

dukelifer
03-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Just not sure if Pitt is really big time.

quickgtp
03-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Oklahoma is done too. What is going on!?

Remember, if UNC loses it will be all because of Lawson's injury.

feldspar
03-12-2009, 09:12 PM
WOW. Just wow.

quickgtp
03-12-2009, 09:14 PM
I know I am jumping the gun but if we win the ACC could we sneak into a number 1 seed?

rthomas
03-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Wooooo Hooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feldspar
03-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Oklahoma's not quite done yet.

1 free throw for Ok St with 2.3 seconds...tie ball game.

dcarp23
03-12-2009, 09:19 PM
I know I am jumping the gun but if we win the ACC could we sneak into a number 1 seed?

If Duke is the ACC runner up, can it sneak into a 1 seed?

dukie8
03-12-2009, 09:19 PM

i posted in the other thread that if duke wins the acct and OK loses or louisville/uconn don't get to the BE finals, duke should get a 1. duke has #3 off #3 SOS, which should either stay the same or go up with an acct win. i can't see the committee not giving duke a #1 in that scenario. with that being said, i don't think it matters all that much. there's basically no difference between being the 3rd or 4th #1 or the 1st or 2nd #2.

superdave
03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I think Duke would have to win the ACC to be a #1. The rest of the world sees Duke as not being able to score in the post, which would be true.

Pitt never got into a groove because Dejuan Blair got two early fouls and sta most of the first half. Then he came back in the second and picked up another and the got T'ed up. Not good.

As for Oklahoma losing, their guards seems to be a big weakness. You cannot win in March unless you can hold up to pressure - trapping etc.

My guess is Louisville can sneak into a #1 more easily than us.

quickgtp
03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Dude are you watching it on a delay? It's been over for about 10 minutes now!

darkblue2769
03-12-2009, 09:21 PM
March is certainly shaping up to be pretty mad this year...

There has been about as many (huge) underdogs winning as there has been favorites winning. If this continues into the NCAA tournament, I certainly won't be winning my pool. It does make for some fun basketball, though. I just wish I could have seen some of these recent upsets...

Who's next?

feldspar
03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Dude are you watching it on a delay? It's been over for about 10 minutes now!

Ha! Yeah, I forgot I was watching it on the DVR. :D

quickgtp
03-12-2009, 09:24 PM
LOL, you scared me. I'm not feeling well as it is, and I thought I was "fast-forwarded" into the future by about 10 minutes....:)

Atlanta Duke
03-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Just not sure if Pitt is really big time.

Yeah -all Pitt did was beat UConn at Pitt and at Storrs this year - everyone has done something comparable this season:)

Seriously, Pitt's rep recently has been to leave it all in New York while winning the Big East tournament and flaming out early in the real tournament

Dixon may not be distressed about the Pitt players being reminded they need to bring it every game from now on, not just when they get to Detroit. I doubt they slip to a 2 seed, especially with Oklahoma going down tonight.

rthomas
03-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Woooooooooo...Hoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quickgtp
03-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Alright, Gottleib just said that if Duke wins over Wake and potentially UNC, then we have a VERY strong case for a #1 seed. Again, I know I am looking ahead, but to think that we are in the conversation makes me happy.

rthomas
03-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Woooooo....Hoooooooo!!!!!!!!

dcarp23
03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Woooooooooo...Hoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This "upset" might be WVU's coming out party. Pomeroy (whose page is not currently loading so I can't back this up) has had them in the top 10 all year--they're a real solid team. I'm pulling them to be the four seed in Carolina's bracket.

dukelifer
03-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Yeah -all Pitt did was beat UConn at Pitt and at Storrs this year - everyone has done something comparable this season:)

Seriously, Pitt's rep recently has been to leave it all in New York while winning the Big East tournament and flaming out early in the real tournament

Dixon may not be distressed about the Pitt players being reminded they need to bring it every game from now on, not just when they get to Detroit. I doubt they slip to a 2 seed, especially with Oklahoma going down tonight.

I am not saying Pitt is not good- but do they have what it takes to win it all. Just not sure. West Virginia outplayed them almost wire to wire.

Bluedog
03-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I am not saying Pitt is not good- but do they have what it takes to win it all. Just not sure. West Virginia outplayed them almost wire to wire.

No team has EVER lost the first round of their conference tournament and won the national championship. Having said that, I don't want to see Pitt in our bracket. On another note, I also heard Gottlieb say Duke has an argument as a #1 seed if it beats Wake and UNC, and I was shocked. I used to hate Gottlieb, but he's growing on me a bit. Just tells it like he sees it. On yet another note, ESPN.com had Oklahoma beating Ok St 70-69 for a good 5 minutes (with the victory arrow pointing at Oklahoma). I was watching on espn360 and assumed Ok St would then miss the front end of the 1-and-1 and to my huge surprise, it went in! And it was 70-70. And Ok St obviously went on to win 71-70. You'd think they would make sure not to make such huge mistakes.

RoyalBlue08
03-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I am pretty sure Pitt was the #1 overall team going into the conference tournaments, they are still a #1 seed. The more important losses from Duke's perspective are the Big 12 teams, which Duke should be able to jump ahead of with an ACC tourney title. One game at a time though...let's go Duke!

dukie8
03-12-2009, 10:07 PM
No team has EVER lost the first round of their conference tournament and won the national championship. Having said that, I don't want to see Pitt in our bracket. On another note, I also heard Gottlieb say Duke has an argument as a #1 seed if it beats Wake and UNC, and I was shocked. I used to hate Gottlieb, but he's growing on me a bit. Just tells it like he sees it. On yet another note, ESPN.com had Oklahoma beating Ok St 70-69 for a good 5 minutes (with the victory arrow pointing at Oklahoma). I was watching on espn360 and assumed Ok St would then miss the front end of the 1-and-1 and to my huge surprise, it went in! And it was 70-70. And Ok St obviously went on to win 71-70. You'd think they would make sure not to make such huge mistakes.

in reality, that was the 3rd round of the BE tournament. west virginia is #26 rpi and the bottom 8 teams of the BE already had been tossed before today's action. that's not exactly a lightweight "1st" round opponent.

rthomas
03-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Wooooooooooooo!!!!!! Hooooooo!!!!!!!

Bluedog
03-12-2009, 10:11 PM
in reality, that was the 3rd round of the BE tournament. west virginia is #26 rpi and the bottom 8 teams of the BE already had been tossed before today's action. that's not exactly a lightweight "1st" round opponent.

You're trying to bring logic to the argument. :p Certainly, what you say is true. WV is not some scrub. I don't want to see them in the NCAA tournament. It's still true, however, that no team has EVER lost their first game in a conference tournament and gone on to win the NCAAs. That's just a fact. Certainly, it's very uncommon for a "first" round opponent to be the quality of WV for a team as good as Pitt, though.

Bluedog
03-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Wow! The BE tournament has been crazy. Syracuse and UConn going to OT after Syracuse nailed a three at the buzzer (pass length of court with 1.1 sec to go), but it was on Devendorf's fingertips as time expired. Could have also called Thabeet for a foul for running a screener over. So close!

InSpades
03-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Seems like Thabeet could have been called for numerous fouls late in the game. The most egregious was on the last play where he was guarding the inbounds and Syracuse smartly set a pick on the baseline. Thabeet ran over the screener. Obviously you can't call it a foul but... isn't it one? He also threw a guy to the ground when UConn got an offensive rebound to tie the game w/ 1.1 left.

BulldogDancer81
03-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Wow UConn-Syracuse getting ready to go into a third overtime.

Bluedog
03-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Wow UConn-Syracuse getting ready to go into a third overtime.

Yes it's been ridiculous! UConn had 5 shots on their last possession in the second overtime, couldn't get it. Then Syracuse settled for a bad 3 with like 8 sec left....sheesh. Foul UConn players out! 4 of their starters have had 4 fouls since the beginning of the OTs. Get Thabeet and Price outta there!