PDA

View Full Version : Haith to Bama?

BD80
03-12-2009, 06:53 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/14017099

an industry source told CBSSports.com on Thursday that Haith is interested in the opening, and that he'd absolutely leave Miami if presented with a respectable offer

geraldsneighbor
03-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Call me crazy but that's a lateral move if I ever heard one. What does he get at Alabama? The conference is no where near the ACC, and I would think Miami is easier to recruit to then 'Bama.

grossbus
03-12-2009, 07:09 PM
well, he is leaving atlanta, for sure. :)

yancem
03-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Call me crazy but that's a lateral move if I ever heard one. What does he get at Alabama? The conference is no where near the ACC, and I would think Miami is easier to recruit to then 'Bama.

Not to mention that living in Miami has to be nicer than Tuscaloosa!

jimsumner
03-12-2009, 08:59 PM
But Miami is a football school.

And Alabama is . . . wait, nevermind.

Or maybe he looks at the competition in the ACC and the competition in the SEC and starts dreaming of greener pastures.

mcdukie
03-12-2009, 10:04 PM
It makes sense to me in the fact that his time might be running out in Miami. A new school would mean a new contract and time to build a program.

RelativeWays
03-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Not to mention that living in Miami has to be nicer than Tuscaloosa!

Yeah....look at all that beautiful violent crime.

formerdukeathlete
03-13-2009, 08:03 AM
It makes sense to me in the fact that his time might be running out in Miami. A new school would mean a new contract and time to build a program.

I had not heard that Haith's job might be on the line. Thought Miami is pretty happy with the program he is putting in place. It might be a matter of money, with Haith at the low end of the ACC pay scale.

Troublemaker
03-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Or maybe he looks at the competition in the ACC and the competition in the SEC and starts dreaming of greener pastures.

Exactly. This is simply just "another one bites the dust" (if the article is right about Haith looking to leave). Going to Alabama might be a lateral move but he has a much better chance of one day winning a conference title there in the SEC than here in the ACC. Presumably, the man has ambitions to accomplish things like a conference championship in his career, and the prospect of continuing to annually compete against UNC and Duke for those accomplishments is very discouraging.

Haith has been in the ACC five years and knows what it's like here. Time to make the Dave Odom / Cliff Ellis jump to the SEC.

Reddevil
03-13-2009, 10:21 AM
We have no idea what his status is with Miami, or how long his leash is, but if he feels that the writing is on the wall, maybe not this year but soon, then this is a good career move. When a coach of a big 6 conference gets released, they usually have to take a step back to a mid-major before they get another crack at the big time. Sometimes a chage of scenery is a good thing for both sides. He is young, and a move to Alabama keeps him in the top echelon. I hope he stays, but if not VCU's Anthony Grant is one to consider.

miramar
03-13-2009, 11:55 AM
I found this section of the article to be particularly relevant:

Miami lost to Virginia Tech in the first round of the ACC tournament Thursday, ensuring the Hurricanes will miss the NCAA tournament for the fourth time in five years under Haith.

That being the case, why would Bama think so highly of Haith? Isn't there anyone else out there?

I can understand Haith's interest considering, as noted, the differences between the ACC and SEC. Yesterday the Miami Herald ran an article indicating that Florida isn't very good, but that they could still do well in a very mediocre SEC tournament.

gotham devil
03-15-2009, 05:05 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/14017099

If he goes and the Hurricanes allow the recruits to be released from their LOIs, I'd love for the coaches to target guard Durand Scott. He's an excellent guard prospect, a tenacious defender, and a National Honor Society member.