PDA

View Full Version : The Shoes

dgoore97
03-12-2009, 02:32 PM
In case you were wondering what they look like. Let's hope they help.

http://www.nicekicks.com/2009/03/ncaa-customized-nike-hyperdunks/

03-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I believe that every uniform and shoe idea that Nike has for college basketball is just awful. Their stuff looks like it might come directly from a Wal Mart shelf. I wish Duke was with Reebok. Notice the NC State uni's tonight. They are clean, simple and bold.

jjasper0729
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
i agree... simple is always better

yancem
03-12-2009, 08:51 PM
I believe that every uniform and shoe idea that Nike has for college basketball is just awful. Their stuff looks like it might come directly from a Wal Mart shelf. I wish Duke was with Reebok. Notice the NC State uni's tonight. They are clean, simple and bold.

The other problem with nike is that they come up with a new look (be it shoes or uniform) get a top program (often Duke) to wear it and then immediately turn around and pedal the same look to dozens of other schools.

Those goofy horns or what ever they were on the shoulders of the jerseys a few years back were awful. It was bad enough seeing Duke players wear them but then half way through the season half the ncaa teams seemed to have them.

These shoes are another example. The article about the players designing the shoes made it sound like this was something special that nike was doing for Duke. All of the shoes illustrated this article looked the same except the colors and patterns. If Duke has to try a new look, you would think that they have enough clout to tell nike to make it exclusive.

dpslaw
03-12-2009, 10:04 PM
What, no glitter?

RelativeWays
03-12-2009, 11:32 PM
I wonder if they have a wheelie option, or flashing lights in the heels

Oriole Way
03-13-2009, 02:11 AM
Those look pretty terrible.

FireOgilvie
03-13-2009, 03:07 AM
Those look pretty terrible.

I agree. It's like something out of the early '90s.

Oriole Way
03-13-2009, 06:37 AM
I agree. It's like something out of the early '90s.

I just laughed a little bit... according to the article on Duke Blue Planet about how the team designed these shoes by having two groups come up with their own design, this design was overwhelmingly picked over another one. It makes me cringe to think how ugly that other design must have been to be so handily rejected in favor of this one.

Reddevil
03-13-2009, 10:39 AM
i agree... simple is always better

The ones with plain leather look pretty good. The ones with prints - ugh! Maybe they will hypnotize the opponents.

millerecu
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Didnt the team have a hand in the design?

Rich
03-13-2009, 04:12 PM
The article about the players designing the shoes made it sound like this was something special that nike was doing for Duke. All of the shoes illustrated this article looked the same except the colors and patterns. If Duke has to try a new look, you would think that they have enough clout to tell nike to make it exclusive.

You're being naive if you think one school -- any school -- has that much clout. Nike is a marketing machine. Their only goal is to make as much money as possible. They have a better chance of doing that by appealing to as many fans as they can, which means more schools, and more shoes.

yancem
03-13-2009, 04:35 PM
You're being naive if you think one school -- any school -- has that much clout. Nike is a marketing machine. Their only goal is to make as much money as possible. They have a better chance of doing that by appealing to as many fans as they can, which means more schools, and more shoes.

I'm not sure that I agree. There are a handful of schools (Duke, UNC, Michigan, Notre Dame, maybe UCLA, and USC) that sell significantly more apparel than all of the other schools. If one of them said that they wanted a unique design and if they didn't get it they would look at signing with another company, I think they could get away with it. I'm not talking about so unique that nike would have to change their machinery around to produce it, I'm talking about colors, patterns and maybe cut. They already have to do this to a certain extent to accommodate school colors and logos. UNC's argyle jerseys are unique to them, no one has copied them in over a decade. There should be perks to be a high revenue generator. Also, I would think that there is a sizeable portion of Duke fans that won't buy certain apparel if it looks like everyone else's.

pratt '04
03-13-2009, 04:54 PM
What does the Duke shoe say on the tongue? I can't read it.

Rich
03-13-2009, 04:58 PM
If one of them said that they wanted a unique design and if they didn't get it they would look at signing with another company, I think they could get away with it.

For Duke and Coach K, unlikely...

http://www.coachk.com/k-lab.php

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1138117/index.htm

weezie
03-13-2009, 04:59 PM
I dunno but I sure wish they had carved GTHC on the soles!

Rich
03-13-2009, 05:01 PM
It says "14 EQUALS 1", the team's motto this season.

tbyers11
03-13-2009, 06:12 PM
It says "14 EQUALS 1", the team's motto this season.

According to this article about the Duke players designing the shoes (http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?pid=352), its actually "14 equals 40" meaning that 14 players play for 40 minutes every night. It's basically the same idea as 14 equals 1.

I agree with others that the customized shoes with solid color on the toe look better. Although, I kind of like Michigan State's.

Turtleboy
03-13-2009, 06:56 PM
The other problem with nike is that they come up with a new look (be it shoes or uniform) get a top program (often Duke) to wear it and then immediately turn around and pedal the same look to dozens of other schools.I'm pretty sure that most of their top salesmen drive cars.

yancem
03-13-2009, 07:27 PM
For Duke and Coach K, unlikely...

http://www.coachk.com/k-lab.php

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1138117/index.htm

That only supports position. Obviously nike values the relationship they have with K and Duke which should give them plenty of bargaining power. For a good example of what I'm talking about, there are dozens of nba players that shoe deals but only a hand full get an exclusive shoe. You don't see anyone wearing a rebranded or repackaged Lebron or Kobe shoe. They may wear the same shoe but it still says Lebron or Kobe on it.

The new Duke shoes are the exact same as the other 5 schools, they just have different graphics on the toe and colors scheme. That's not necessarily that big of a deal but nike said that they were going to have the teams design their own shoe. If they were going to do this with 6 different schools, then they should have at least changed the basic design some for each school.

BTW, my gripe is actually less about the shoes and more about nike's tendency to come up with a new design for uniforms and then pimp them out to dozens of schools. I'm pretty sure that they will have several schools wearing jerseys with similar designs as Duke's new alternates by next season. Heck, Duke's jerseys are a knock off of the USA jerseys from the Olympics.

tele
03-14-2009, 03:12 AM
Of course if you come up with something truly innovative for your uniform, the NCAA might just ban them, twice even.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/39180482.html

Some of Nike's designs seem to be trying just a bit too hard. like one of those paintings you squint your eyes at for awhile and then you can see the image appear, it looks like a guy.... on water skis....jumping a shark.

Lord Ash
03-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Man. Ugly.

BoC
03-14-2009, 11:00 AM
For me, the best shoes were in the early 90's, when Duke partnered with Adidas...

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/RatBomb/adidas-torsion-bank-shot-1.jpg

This is a more recent Adidas shoe, but it's close enough to what Laettner, Hill, Hurley and company wore. Had a pair myself.