PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tournament: Non-Duke Games

feldspar
03-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Here we go!!

Hokies start off hot, hitting two threes.

feldspar
03-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Miami seems way out of sync on offense, while VaTech seems hungry.

12-2...wow.

feldspar
03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
16-6

11:47 left in the first half and VaTech’s up by ten. Sounds like (I’m listening online) VaTech is doing a good job of mixing it up, shooting from outside and driving the lane. Miami just seems helpless, and I don’t know if McClinton has scored yet. They better get their butts in gear or they’re gonna be NIT-bound.

feldspar
03-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Miami starting to heat up now, they hit back-to-back threes to cap off a 9-0 run.

28-24 VaTech with a minute left.

Dukerati
03-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Barring a miraculous comeback, it looks like Vtech has this one in the bag. I personally did not care who won although I was leaning towards Miami because if they won, it would have given us another RPI top 50 win. Nonetheless, good defense and tough rebounding fueled Vtech on their decisive second half run.

JasonEvans
03-12-2009, 01:55 PM
VT by 19 with 1 minute left. Ball game over!

Miami's bubble has burst, for sure. Pity as I think they had an ok chance to make it if they had an impressive win over Va Tech. Va Tech probably needs to upset Carolina or at least play them very, very close.

-Jason "ACC bubble has been bad lately" Evans

RepoMan
03-12-2009, 02:05 PM
VT by 19 with 1 minute left. Ball game over!

Miami's bubble has burst, for sure. Pity as I think they had an ok chance to make it if they had an impressive win over Va Tech. Va Tech probably needs to upset Carolina or at least play them very, very close.

-Jason "ACC bubble has been bad lately" Evans

Hokies have played UNC tough the last few years and, like them or not, have been a touch hard-nosed team since joining the ACC, often playing with a major chip. In contrast, I would not use the word tough to describe UNC. Given the VA Tech need for a win, I wouldn't be surprised to see them play UNC close and maybe steal a win.

Cameron
03-12-2009, 02:10 PM
With Miami's 7-9 ACC record, they were going to the NIT regardless of whether they beat Va Tech, another 7-9 team, convincingly. Miami had to make it to at least the semis in Atlanta.

Va Tech needs a win over Carolina, or at least a great showing. If not, the ACC is probably a seven bid league depending on what Maryland does. Maryland beats State, and I think its win over North Carolina will be in near enough memory to get the Terrapins in the Dance, despite having only gone 7-9 themselves in the ACC.

If Tech and Maryland both lose tomorrow and today, respectively, then the ACC might only get six.

lmb
03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
That was not what I was expecting. I was somewhat pulling for Miami but not that invested. However, I did expect this to be the best first-round game. What a disappointment.

feldspar
03-12-2009, 03:49 PM
We could be in for a doozy here....

Georgia Tech still up on Clemson halfway through the second half!

geraldsneighbor
03-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I have missed a good portion of this game since I DVR'd the Miami-VT game which was a disappointment. I have thought all year GT has under achieved. Aminu, Clinch, and Lawal are a much better team then their record has shown.

feldspar
03-12-2009, 03:56 PM
67-55 Ga Tech with 8 minutes.

Holy moly.

Duvall
03-12-2009, 03:58 PM
GTU is going to the semifinals, aren't they?

jdj4duke
03-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Clemson looks just pitiful. Their interior passing is completely inept. And interior defense is worse. Pretty lame performance by the Tigers.They are down 10 with about 5 to go and appear that they will completely fold up. Tech looks very confident and Clemson looks like Maryland. Ogilvy cannot throw it in the ocean

feldspar
03-12-2009, 04:14 PM
GTU is going to the semifinals, aren't they?

I dunno. Sounds like Clinch might have just gotten injured.

whereinthehellami
03-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Good game for VT. They played as a team and played hard. To bad they didn't do that all year. On the plus side they won with Delaney having an off game (1-10) and only shooting 27% from 3. So it wasn't like they won by shooting lights out, they looked really solid. Can they actually string multiple games together with that effort and cohesion? Thats the big question. If Lawson doesn't play, I can definately see a hokie W when they play UNC. and if they beat UNC, I think they are in the dance.

On the other side of the ball Miami looked bad. I know McClinton was injured but his team did not have his back. They got out hustled, out rebounded, and out played.

geraldsneighbor
03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Clemson's pressure has narrowed it to a 4-point contest. 1:09 left kids.

feldspar
03-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Wow. Clemson finally making this a game.

Aminu misses a close one, then Oglesby hits a three to cut it to 79-75

SMO
03-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Clemson looks just pitiful. Their interior passing is completely inept. And interior defense is worse. Pretty lame performance by the Tigers.They are down 10 with about 5 to go and appear that they will completely fold up. Tech looks very confident and Clemson looks like Maryland. Ogilvy cannot throw it in the ocean

The Duke curse may be striking early. The Duke win may have been the high point of their season.

RelativeWays
03-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Clump kinda sucks now. I hope they enjoy that 27 point win they got over us, it sure didn't get them anything though.

FireOgilvie
03-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Purnell's teams are consistently awful in late-game situations.

It's only close because Clemson suddenly can't miss from 3.

geraldsneighbor
03-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Clemson better hope for a 5 seed now.

jdj4duke
03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
It was painful to watch Clemson make so many bone-headed passes and defensive plays. They are going nowhere in the tournament based on this performance. Purnell looked ready either to pull his teeth out with pliers or to fly to Alabama. Man, the Tigers really stunk it up. They were unbelievably careless with the ball for long stretches.

SMO
03-12-2009, 04:33 PM
It was painful to watch Clemson make so many bone-headed passes and defensive plays. They are going nowhere in the tournament based on this performance. Purnell looked ready either to pull his teeth out with pliers or to fly to Alabama. Man, the Tigers really stunk it up. They were unbelievably careless with the ball for long stretches.

Sounds like when Duke played Clemson! Karma is a b....

The Gordog
03-12-2009, 04:38 PM
The Duke curse may be striking early. The Duke win may have been the high point of their season.

GA Tech 86
Clemson 81
Final

rotogod00
03-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Clemson better hope for a 5 seed now.

think they may be a 6 now actually

roywhite
03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Sure signs spring is coming:

Flowers blooming
Clemson wilting

gumbomoop
03-12-2009, 05:23 PM
I sorta believe in the Duke curse, but I really believe in the power of Duke hatred. How else explain Clemson's best game of season compared to this mediocre performance? And where was the Miami that beat Duke last year and could have this year?

bjornolf
03-12-2009, 05:35 PM
I think that's one advantage Duke has going into the tourney every year. Teams ramp up their play in the tourney, desperate to survive and advance. Every game is the most important game of the season to them. Hopefully, they have their best games of the year in the tourney. This happens to Duke EVERY game. For the Devils, that's just another Thursday night game.

tele
03-12-2009, 05:55 PM
And down goes..............ehh, nevermind.

BD80
03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Why do teams look so good against us (Miami, BC, Clemson and @ Md) and look so bad in other games?

So frustrating.

roywhite
03-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Why do teams look so good against us (Miami, BC, Clemson and @ Md) and look so bad in other games?

So frustrating.

Because the biggest games of their season are in February, and the biggest games in our season are in March (and April:))

gw67
03-13-2009, 08:22 AM
With a bunch of the top teams mailing it in, it will be interesting to see whether the Devils, Heels, Wake and Noles show up today. I watched the State-Maryland and the Virginia-BC games. The first of the two games was hard played and the outcome was in question till the last few minutes of the game. The Pack got off to a quick start as Williams continues to start a backcourt that can’t shoot. Once Hayes was inserted into the game, the turnovers stopped and they got back into the game after Hayes made three 3-point shots. In the second half, McCauley and freshman Mays matched the Terps shot for shot as the Pack used their considerable height advantage to get rebounds while the Terps battled the bigger players on the defensive end. The keys for the win were the outstanding playmaking ability of Vasquez and the shooting and steadiness of Hayes. Vasquez is an extraordinary passer and it is too bad that he doesn’t have the supporting casts of UNC or Duke. Under those circumstances, I believe that he would lead the conference in assists. As an aside, it was clear from his demeanor last night that telling a reporter that he would test the NBA waters this year had no bearing on his desire to win last night’s game.

Virginia just seemed to give up in the 2nd half. They return most of their team next year and seem to have several of the necessary parts. It will be interesting to see whether Leitao can mold the team into a winner.

Virginia Tech took care of a Miami that failed to show. The Canes lose a bunch of players and, perhaps their coach, so next year may not be promising.

Like several of Hewitt’s previous squads, Georgia Tech has plenty of weapons. However, the worst coach in the conference has a difficult time getting them to play together. It appears that relying on Clinch and Lawal is a good formula and that they should be capable of giving the Noles a good game.

I expect both the Devils and Heels to win today because their coaches are terrific motivators and they have a bunch more talent. If Wake shows up, they have way too much size and talent for the Terps. If they are not at the top of their game, the Terps can make a game of it.

gw67

blueprofessor
03-13-2009, 09:52 AM
With a bunch of the top teams mailing it in, it will be interesting to see whether the Devils, Heels, Wake and Noles show up today. I watched the State-Maryland and the Virginia-BC games. The first of the two games was hard played and the outcome was in question till the last few minutes of the game. The Pack got off to a quick start as Williams continues to start a backcourt that can’t shoot. Once Hayes was inserted into the game, the turnovers stopped and they got back into the game after Hayes made three 3-point shots. In the second half, McCauley and freshman Mays matched the Terps shot for shot as the Pack used their considerable height advantage to get rebounds while the Terps battled the bigger players on the defensive end. The keys for the win were the outstanding playmaking ability of Vasquez and the shooting and steadiness of Hayes. Vasquez is an extraordinary passer and it is too bad that he doesn’t have the supporting casts of UNC or Duke. Under those circumstances, I believe that he would lead the conference in assists. As an aside, it was clear from his demeanor last night that telling a reporter that he would test the NBA waters this year had no bearing on his desire to win last night’s game.

Virginia just seemed to give up in the 2nd half. They return most of their team next year and seem to have several of the necessary parts. It will be interesting to see whether Leitao can mold the team into a winner.

Virginia Tech took care of a Miami that failed to show. The Canes lose a bunch of players and, perhaps their coach, so next year may not be promising.

Like several of Hewitt’s previous squads, Georgia Tech has plenty of weapons. However, the worst coach in the conference has a difficult time getting them to play together. It appears that relying on Clinch and Lawal is a good formula and that they should be capable of giving the Noles a good game.

I expect both the Devils and Heels to win today because their coaches are terrific motivators and they have a bunch more talent. If Wake shows up, they have way too much size and talent for the Terps. If they are not at the top of their game, the Terps can make a game of it.

gw67

I agree that Hewitt is the worst coach in the ACC. Also, I dislike his headshaking when things are not going well... a coach should eschew self-pity and be positive for his players---players want their coaches to show they give a damn.K,Gary, Roy,Hamilton, and Purnell act like every second is important. Players love that intensity....well, Gary does go a little nuts.

Could there be a Duke--FSU final in the works, with Lawson hurting?:cool:

Best--Blueprof:)

jjasper0729
03-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I'd rather see Duke-VPI to be honest... much better match up in my opinion

captmojo
03-13-2009, 10:17 AM
One of the most difficult things in college basketball is to be able to walk away the winner, three times in the same season, over a conference foe.

I want the holes again, but I won't shed any tears if they should happen to lose.

gumbomoop
03-13-2009, 10:40 AM

Venomous Duke hatred. What does it say that teams can get sky high for us, but can't for a game they must have to make the NCAA tourney? Well, it says a lot.

I'm serious. We are detested by everyone, almost no exceptions. Far too much success as ESPN/Dickie V were rising to omnipresence. K might have defused a bit of this had he maintained, publicly, the hilarious dry wit he possesses, but, imo, that twinkle in his eye too often disappeared, I guess, as local and other "scribes" went out of their way to snipe at Duke.

I'm not saying it's K's fault. It's mostly jealousy and Dickie V's by-now-getting-old ranting. Much better to have an obviously-insightful Knight praising us - even if many will see that as protege-plumping - than DV.

But really, no matter, for it will never go away. It's sorta like the Vietnam War.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Honestly, if you're Roy Williams and you have a famously low regard (http://ncaatournament.fanhouse.com/2009/03/12/ignore-roy-williams-the-acc-tournament-is-the-only-one-that-mat/) for the ACC Tournament (http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2009/03/11/a-party-to-make-money/), why would you play Lawson at all? UNC already has a 1 seed locked up even if they lose today (highly unlikely), particularly with the built-in excuse that "we didn't have Ty."

If UNC were to run the table they can't improve their seed or most likely their position (nobody's taking Greensboro from them since no other 1 seeds are as close). So all they do is risk a real injury and tire their guys out. Instead, just run the O through Hansbrough to inflate his scoring numbers, rest Lawson, and play with house money. If UNC wins without Lawson, it's a big story and adds to the mythos. If they lose, it takes the shine off the actual winner and protects UNC from any punishment by the committee.

The only winning move is not to play.

Biscuit
03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Honestly, if you're Roy Williams and you have a famously low regard (http://ncaatournament.fanhouse.com/2009/03/12/ignore-roy-williams-the-acc-tournament-is-the-only-one-that-mat/) for the ACC Tournament (http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2009/03/11/a-party-to-make-money/), why would you play Lawson at all? UNC already has a 1 seed locked up even if they lose today (highly unlikely), particularly with the built-in excuse that "we didn't have Ty."

If UNC were to run the table they can't improve their seed or most likely their position (nobody's taking Greensboro from them since no other 1 seeds are as close). So all they do is risk a real injury and tire their guys out. Instead, just run the O through Hansbrough to inflate his scoring numbers, rest Lawson, and play with house money. If UNC wins without Lawson, it's a big story and adds to the mythos. If they lose, it takes the shine off the actual winner and protects UNC from any punishment by the committee.

According to THN redio, he's not playing today.

According to DBR, Woody Durham is just in on the elaborate ruse to paint Ty Lawson as some sort of courageous hero. It's all a vast light blue conspiracy!

BlueintheFace
03-13-2009, 11:48 AM

Roy is actually very smart to not play Ty. He rests up and if they lose (and I don't think their #1 seed was guaranteed for them) they can blame the loss on missing the ACC POY and negate the loss. Basically, Roy has sewed of the #1 seed by resting his best player.... it shouldn't be that way, but it is.

BlueintheFace
03-13-2009, 11:50 AM

So frustrating.

Those teams all looked pretty awesome against carolina too...

Bluedog
03-13-2009, 11:58 AM
per ESPN...http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3976801

Edit: Oops, didn't realize this was already mentioned in non-Duke ACC games thread. Please merge.

zingit
03-13-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure I agree that we really wanted FSU to win this one. Should we make it to the final game (knock on wood), I would prefer not to see FSU. We match up badly with them (they are very big), and we always struggle with them. Moreover, a loss to them could potentially hurt our seeding. I'd rather play UNC in the finals, even if we lose to them, because a loss to UNC doesn't hurt us (well, except our pride!), while a loss to FSU could. Whatever. We'll be ready for whatever comes our way.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-13-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure I agree that we really wanted FSU to win this one. Should we make it to the final game (knock on wood), I would prefer not to see FSU. We match up badly with them (they are very big), and we always struggle with them. Moreover, a loss to them could potentially hurt our seeding. I'd rather play UNC in the finals, even if we lose to them, because a loss to UNC doesn't hurt us (well, except our pride!), while a loss to FSU could. Whatever. We'll be ready for whatever comes our way.

If we play FSU then we'll have made it further than I expected AND UNC will have lost early. Give me those two and I'll take my chances against the 'Noles in a heartbeat.

brsett
03-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Here is a link to the controversial held ball call from the UNC-VPI game earlier today. I would have put it in the actual game thread, but apparently that is now locked.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/insidecarolina/JumpBall.jpg

Not trying to start the quaffing of the haterade, just thought the image is interesting. Note it comes from inside carolina, and you cannot see Tyler's right arm well in the picture.

Btw, that's Thompson in the pic, not Allen. Saw some people confused over that fact in the earlier thread -- made it easy to discount their interpretations though. ;)

bjornolf
03-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I'd like to see a similar set of photos for Allen's foul where he blocked the shot on Hansbrough. I think it was his third foul. 'Cause that looked like an AWFUL lot of ball to me.

bjornolf
03-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Here is a link to the controversial held ball call from the UNC-VPI game earlier today. I would have put it in the actual game thread, but apparently that is now locked.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/insidecarolina/JumpBall.jpg

Not trying to start the quaffing of the haterade, just thought the image is interesting. Note it comes from inside carolina, and you cannot see Tyler's right arm well in the picture.

Btw, that's Thompson in the pic, not Allen. Saw some people confused over that fact in the earlier thread -- made it easy to discount their interpretations though. ;)

They did a great job of showing his had on the ball. When I watched the replay though, it appeared that he raked his hand down the entire front of Thompson's body and arm on the way to the ball.

Vincetaylor
03-13-2009, 06:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc117I3ZB3o

Watch his right arm. Foul. I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually trying to foul him given the team foul total.

brsett
03-13-2009, 07:29 PM
At the :32 second mark? That would be pretty ticky-tack, I'm not sure that he gained an advantage by getting 2 fingers caught up in the guys jersey. Based on that video, I'm inclined to say not a foul. Thanks for the vid.

By no means was that game an officiating masterpiece though.

gw67
03-14-2009, 10:12 AM
I was going to add some thoughts to the Wake - Maryland thread but it was closed for some reason so I will add them here.

There is no way that the Terps should outplay Wake for the better part of two games. The Deacons have three future NBA players and much more size. While watching yesterday's game, I recalled the observation about the LSU coach (Brown?) several years ago. It was said that when your team gets down just look down at the LSU bench and realize that you always have a chance when Brown is their coach. Wake has talent but Williams exposed some weaknesses during both games and Gaudio wasn't able to come up with a good response. I hope that wake has a long run in the NCAAT but I can see them going out during the first weekend.
This is one of my favorite Maryland teams. They are undersized and have a collection of players who each have holes in their game. No McDonalds' All Americans here.They remind me of Paul Deitzel's "Chinese Bandits" during the days of platoon football. They swarm and battle to get defensive rebounds and rely on turnovers, fast breaks and foul shots to generate much of their offense.
I hope that this win gets them to the NCAAT but you never know with the tournament selection committee. If they get into the NCAAT, they will likely be a low seed and the chances of wining a couple of games is small.

gw67

blueprofessor
03-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I was going to add some thoughts to the Wake - Maryland thread but it was closed for some reason so I will add them here.

This is one of my favorite Maryland teams. They are undersized and have a collection of players who each have holes in their game. No McDonalds' All Americans here.They remind me of Paul Deitzel's "Chinese Bandits" during the days of platoon football. They swarm and battle to get defensive rebounds and rely on turnovers, fast breaks and foul shots to generate much of their offense.

gw67
Dietzel was signed by Duke to play football after high school in Mansfield,OH.
After 1 year, he joined the Army Air Corps for WWII duty.
He later was an all-American center at Miami of Ohio.

The Chinese Bandits were the 2nd team defense---the White team and the Gold(Go) team had better athletes,but the Bandits played with abandon in defensive situations and captured the imagination of the nation.

Dietzel won a NC and had several more top 5 rated seasons before going to West Point from which he resigned as coach in 1966.
He and K were at the Point together.

Dietzel then went to South Carolina,but was fired in 1974 for losing to Duke's football team in the early part of the season.He lost his AD position,also, as the 'Cock fans had believed he would lead SC to gridiron greatness.
He had led SC out of the ACC, which still seems like a bad idea decades later.

Dietzel was a fine coach and very smart man, but he should never have left LSU.
He was the first non-Pointer to coach West Point.At the time he left LSU, Army was still a viable college team and was able to recruit fine players---at least until America's Viet Nam commitment in the early and mid-60s. Army's Pete Dawkins had won the Heisman in 1958, Bob Reifsnyder of Navy won the 1957 Maxwell Award, and Navy's Bellino (1960) and Staubach (1963) won the Heisman.
Army had had 2 Heisman winners in the 1940s, had won 1944 and 1945 NCs, and finished high in the polls after:#2 in 1946; #11 in '47; #6 in '48;#4 in '49; #2 in '50. The cheating scandal would destroy a team favored to win the NC. Army was back at #14 in 1953, #7 (with Navy at #5) in 1954, #20(Navy at #18) in 1955, #18 in 1957 (with Navy at #16 in '56),#3 in '58 (Air Force was # 6).
Navy would finish # 4 in 1960 and #2 in 1963.

It would not be until 1996 that Army would enjoy a ranking in a final AP poll ---and this was a top 25 AP poll.

Best--Blueprofessor:)

blueprofessor
03-14-2009, 06:55 PM

but,in the meantime,friends,send me your betting slips and 15%.:D:D

Best--Blueprofessor:)

mpj96
03-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I agree that Hewitt is the worst coach in the ACC. Also, I dislike his headshaking when things are not going well... a coach should eschew self-pity and be positive for his players---players want their coaches to show they give a damn.K,Gary, Roy,Hamilton, and Purnell act like every second is important. Players love that intensity....well, Gary does go a little nuts.

Best--Blueprof:)

nice call.