PDA

View Full Version : Private messaging and the IGNORE button

vango
03-01-2007, 06:59 PM
This all IMHO.

The board:

I've got a thick skin. I welcome logical debate. But I've left a good many message boards (or have gone to read only) because of childish and insulting posts along with additional pejorative commentary. When I saw the new format for this board I was skeptical but in my 3+ years reading here I've been impressed with the banter. Even the "edgey" folks are cool and people from other schools have been right humble I think. I read more than I write - much more but will post an occasional message that hopefully doesn't show that I'm a football guy who loves college basketball. I like the format but with it comes some of that which I've seen elsewhere.

Private Messaging

All for it but if you haven't the guts to debate within the thread perhaps leaving it out is wise. Why some people take the energy to be nasty to someone they don't even know is beyond me. Today a "member" made one of my posts personal (you can see below if you wish) and I got a message. When I first read it I laughed hard enough to snort. Then I was impressed that Gary Williams himself had sent me a private message. Then I sorta felt sorry for the guy because it sounded sad. I responded as politely as I could and that's where it will end.

Ignore

It will end there b/c of the Ignore button. If you're out there then welcome to Ignore. I've been on enough boards to recognize the likes of people like this and that reading their posts will rob from me several seconds of my life I will not be able to get back. Ignore is a wonderful thing.

Anyhow, I don't want to call the person out. Having said that, when you private message someone they take ownership (along with DBR I suppose) of those words. So, having said that - here is the exchange:

My Post:

I know a couple MD fans and their rabid about these two games. They get really angry when I tell them we want to beat them but we'd rather beat UNC. I almost sense their season goals are in order:

1) beat Duke twice
2) make the tournament
3) win the ACC tournament
4) win the regular season

I'm not a fan of this school, some of its players, and its coach. Save UNC, they're the team I enjoy watching lose more than any other in the league.

The sweeps have been back and forth the last three seasons. I suspect if the trend continues (and considering the rosters I think it will) we'll sweep them next year.

To be fair though, I have to say - if they're not ranked next week something is wrong.....

My Private Message:

We consider you guys are b--ches .

5-7 and every time you're ranked higher than us. We're the winnest team against Duke, but we're only 'so-so'. Give me a break.

You guys can hate UNC. We don't need to hate you, we just own you .

Call us rabidly arrogant, it's ok, I don't mind...all the Duke fans I know were the same, if not more so.

My Private Message Reply

Why would you send me a message like this? You don't even know me. I'm talking about a couple of MY friends. UNC is our rival and MY friend think Duke is the Terps rival.

Never said you were "so-so". I said in a post if you guys aren't ranked next week something is wrong. You deserve it and deserve to be higher than us. Never said "arrogant". Don't think that at all.

Finally, work on that grammar.

Good luck to you in the tournament. I'm not a Terp fan but I pull for all the ACC teams come NCAA. I also like to see my friends happy.

Cavlaw
03-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Water off a duck's back, mate. Don't let garbage like that get on your nerves, that's the reason this kid sent you a message in the first place.

The whole tone of the message just screams 'internet loser' of the sort you see all over the ESPN message boards. Pathetic.

vango
03-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Agreed. Had to chuckle with you mentioning ESPN boards - that was one of a few I was referring to but didn't mention.

I know you're right - in a way I was just mentioning that there is an ignore button and supporting it with an occurance I had where it served its usefullness.

Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts.

Boswell
03-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Agreed. Had to chuckle with you mentioning ESPN boards - that was one of a few I was referring to but didn't mention.

I know you're right - in a way I was just mentioning that there is an ignore button and supporting it with an occurance I had where it served its usefullness.

Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks for pointing out the "ignore" button; it's a wonderful tool. Imagine getting the messages we get on a daily basis. The rewarding thing, though, is that they can't stop themselves from reading us over and over again, and we ultimately drive them into an inevitable wacko obsession.

In the end, it's a thing to relish.

vango
03-01-2007, 11:20 PM
I can only imagine. And you're probably right. Funny.

It is an excellent filter and I'm glad it's available.

BluBones
03-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for pointing out the "ignore" button; it's a wonderful tool.

Though this applies to the boards only and not PM's, another good tool to remember for keeping the boards civil is the "report" button. It's the little caution triangle in the upper right above each post. It gets a posse of moderators here in a hurry.

Clipsfan
03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for pointing out the "ignore" button; it's a wonderful tool. Imagine getting the messages we get on a daily basis. The rewarding thing, though, is that they can't stop themselves from reading us over and over again, and we ultimately drive them into an inevitable wacko obsession.

In the end, it's a thing to relish.

What's funny about your comments is that this is exactly what we say about some of the "writers" on the internet websites who trash Duke. They know that people who are upset with what they say will come back and boost their page views etc because they can't get away from reading it and getting upset. Btw, I am not trying to compare in any fashion the editorial comments on this website with the "articles" posted by some of the lazy and biased "writers" such as Doyel, just the general response some readers have to any sort of commentary.