PDA

View Full Version : Keys To Staying In the Dance!

Dukefan4Life
03-11-2009, 04:09 PM
My opnion on what we need to do inorder to advance in the tournament.

#1 We have to take higher precentage shots! we cant just shoot jumpers! we need guys like G and E-mail to drive to the hole. we need kyle to get some looks inside to post up more!

#2 Use our bench,play zone on some possesions. we need to use what we have and play the game to what they bring to the our team. for instance plumlee could be used in a zone and that would give us better chances of getting rebounds. I think Z would be huge for us in a zone defense! that would cut down on his fouls,clogging up the middle if guards break us down up top.

3. Make the extra pass! alot of the times we are too much of a 1on1 offense, one or two passes then someone makes a 1-1 move or takes a long range jumper! ill stress this again, we HAVE to have less jumpers and better precentage shots!

jv001
03-11-2009, 04:21 PM
My opnion on what we need to do inorder to advance in the tournament.

#1 We have to take higher precentage shots! we cant just shoot jumpers! we need guys like G and E-mail to drive to the hole. we need kyle to get some looks inside to post up more!

#2 Use our bench,play zone on some possesions. we need to use what we have and play the game to what they bring to the our team. for instance plumlee could be used in a zone and that would give us better chances of getting rebounds. I think Z would be huge for us in a zone defense! that would cut down on his fouls,clogging up the middle if guards break us down up top.

3. Make the extra pass! alot of the times we are too much of a 1on1 offense, one or two passes then someone makes a 1-1 move or takes a long range jumper! ill stress this again, we HAVE to have less jumpers and better precentage shots!

As for your points:
1.Higher percentage shots..Our offense has improved greatly over the last 6 games. I'm more worried over the higher percentage the opponents are shooting against us.
2.Zones..You know as well as I do that Coach K is not going to use a zone for very long. We've tried it a few times lately and we were not that good in it. If it were the beginning of the season and we had time to practice it more it might help but not now.
3. Make the extra pass.. I agee that sometimes we stand around while some is dribbling the air out of the ball. However since Elliot was inserted into the starting lineup, we do not seem to doing as much standing around. We have run motion more and it seems to have put life in our offense.
I hope we continue to get better physically and mentally. Our confidence seems to be pretty high and we need that. Jon has come out of his slump to help Gerald and Kyle with the scoring load. For the first time in a few years, I'm excited about the two tournaments. Go Duke!

Dukefan4Life
03-11-2009, 04:34 PM
I know K will never use zone. I just dont understand why he wont try it more often and see how it go"s Z would get less fouls and would really help us against the bigger teams that we face. I agree eliot brings a litttle life to our offense but i want him and G taking the ball to the rim rather thank firing up bombs from 3 point land. The motion offense just enforces what im saying we need to post guys like kyle and g up..

Greg_Newton
03-11-2009, 04:43 PM
I vote we try to get Jon the ball in post more also. He seems to be very effective posting up smaller PGs (the couple of times we've seen him do it). Might as well milk the five forward setup if we can.

Classof06
03-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree with the idea of taking higher percentage shots but it's hard when you have no consistent post presence. Duke can mitigate this by attacking the rim but for whatever reason, they haven't done that much this year. The only person capable of consistently getting to the rim is Gerald, and maybe EWill. That's not enough. This is where I think this team misses Demarcus Nelson more than anyone is willing to admit.

Regardless of coming up short in Chapel Hill, I do think Duke is playing very good basketball right now. And after last year's tailspin, that is much more comforting than one might think.

But in order for Duke to stay in the dance, they're going to have to shoot very well from the perimeter. Like, "Xavier game" well. It's tough to ask a college team to do that for four to five straight games but that's what Duke is up against, IMO.

We shall see..

Dukefan4Life
03-11-2009, 07:45 PM
When nolan comes back he is someone id like to see more aggressive on the offense end. I know he has the skill to take his defender off the dribble and take it to the basket.

RelativeWays
03-11-2009, 08:13 PM
My keys to success (tm)

1. Nolan's ability to come back, help with ball handling and driving to the hoop. He also has a nice mid range that would be real effective for us
2. Singler and Henderson following Kenny Roger's advice. They need to know when to hold 'em, fold em, walk away and run. Its key that they know when to pace themselves, when to be aggresive, so they don't tire out on the 1st weekend. There'll be time enough for countin' victories, when the scorin's done.
3. Paulus is a senior and needs to step up for his final games. It would be great if he found that shooting stroke he had last year.
4. E Will just needs to temper aggression with smarts.
5. LT and Zoubs have to score points, not a lot of points, but if they can get 10-12, that may be enough if the other guys are up to par. They need to keep rebounding
6. Dave needs to keep being the glue guy, utility man. Mr consistent.
7. Scheyer almost seems to be better offensively at the point, I hope the trend continues.

We have 5 guys that can score double figures every game from here on out depending on how they play. We'll have 6 if Paulus can find his shot. We need to be agressive and a bit nasty. Do not let ANYONE try to make their name off of a Duke upset, do what has to be done.

Dukefan4Life
03-11-2009, 08:16 PM
i agree with Pauls stepping it up but i want to see other shots from him except that 40 footer he always takes..again we need better shots, higher precentage shots! i cant say that enough.. dont rely on the jumpers :D

Newton_14
03-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I too, think health is the key to our hopes in the big dance. If Nolan is able to get back to full strength and play at a high level, it will almost be like getting a 2nd new impact player late in the year. Eliot's situation is rare, but he has come in late in the season and brought great new energy on both sides of the ball. Nolan can bring similar things.

We need Lance back to full strength as well. With a healthy Nolan and a healthy Lance we get back to our full rotation.

Then there is the big 3. If Jon, Gerald, and Kyle can all play well at the same time, plus get help from the other guys, then I feel this team can make a deep run. They need to attack the basket, shoot good threes, and keep the motion in motion so to speak. On defense, they have to find a way to limit easy baskets inside, and rebound, rebound, rebound.

I honestly would just love to see a stretch where our top 8 or 9 guys play their best basketball together. If that happens they will beat a whole lot of teams.