PDA

View Full Version : Dream Matchup - Nightmare Matchup

Udaman
03-11-2009, 12:48 PM
For me, the dream scenario for Duke would be the following:

#1 Seed - Michigan State
#2 Seed - Duke
#3 Seed - Washington (overrated big time)
#4 Seed - Missouri (living a lie)
#5 Seed - Illinois
#6 Seed - LSU
#7 Seed - Marquette (lost one of their best players)
#8 Seed - Utah

First round matchup - #15, Cornell

None of those would scare me that much.

The nightmare scenario would be

#1 Seed - Pittsburgh (we have no stop for Blair. None.)
#2 Seed - Memphis or Oklahoma (both terrifying)
#3 Seed - Duke
#4 Seed - UCLA
#5 Seed - Xavier (I hate the thought of playing a team you beat badly again)
#6 Seed - Arizona State (Great guards, great rebounding, Herb knows us)
#7 Seed - West Virginia
#8 Seed - Dayton

First round matchup - # 14 W. Kentucky (depth, pressing team, leadership, quick guards)

Wander
03-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds about right. Only disagreement is Missouri. They press all the freaking time. Remember Clemson? But good list.

Ignatius07
03-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Good for the most part, but a few questions:

Drawing Marquette with their super-quick guards in the second round (assuming they beat the 10-seed) is your idea of a dream match-up?

Why are you even remotely scared of UCLA as a 4-seed?

Do you not want vengeance on West Virginia at the 7-seed? I hope we draw them and VCU.

Agreed on Pitt and Oklahoma, though I don't think the committee would put Pitt and Oklahoma in the same regional (since Pitt is looking like the first or second overall 1-seed). I wouldn't mind seeing Memphis as a 2-seed (if Duke has to get the 3) because I think they are overrated. They could certainly beat us, but they scare me less than other 2-seeds.

I'd like to see Kansas as a high seed, as well as Mizzou. Mizzou does play at a frenetic pace, but again, just because a team can beat you doesn't mean you don't want them in your regional. Ideally you want overrated teams occupying high seeds that could be taken up by more deserving (underrated teams). So while Mizzou could be a handful, I'd gladly take them as a 4.

Duvall
03-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Marquette seems to have regrouped somewhat against St. John's.

Bluedog
03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Marquette seems to have regrouped somewhat against St. John's.

Held St. John's to TEN points in the entire first half. That's ridiculous. They do have 6 points already in this half, though, only 4 minutes in.