PDA

View Full Version : Featherston on the ACC Tournament

feldspar
03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
As always, Al was spot on this morning. I love his depth of research, pointing out that, once again (Roy’s net-cutting notwithstanding), the ACC Tournament has come full circle to become the most equitable way of determining the ACC champion.

Say, for instance, that Duke beats Boston College, Wake Forest and UNC to win the ACC championship. How can it be argued that UNC really won the ACC this year? It can’t, due to the imbalanced schedule.

I love that Coach K has always been a huge fan of the ACC Tournament. It’s one of college basketball’s greatest traditions.

Vincetaylor
03-11-2009, 11:11 AM
The same could be said for Wake. If they were to beat Duke and UNC for the title they would be 2-1 against Duke and 2-0 against UNC. You could make a strong argument for them getting a higher seed than both Duke and UNC in the tourney.

davekay1971
03-11-2009, 11:14 AM
The ACC tournament is absolutely one of the great traditions and great events in college basketball. I'm a huge ACC homer, but I can't imagine making a legitimate argument that any other conference tournament is, year after year, in the same league as the ACC tourney. Between the top-to-bottom quality of the league, the rivalries that get played out, and the grueling slugfest schedule, it's just about the best thing this side of Duke-Carolina (which, as often as not, it turns out becoming...)

kellsie16
03-11-2009, 01:03 PM
The same could be said for Wake. If they were to beat Duke and UNC for the title they would be 2-1 against Duke and 2-0 against UNC. You could make a strong argument for them getting a higher seed than both Duke and UNC in the tourney.

I'm not so sure about that. While they might win the head-to-head, they lost to GaTech, NC State, and VaTech, teams they had no business losing to. At some point mid-way through the conference season they had an amazing record of like 5-0 vs ranked teams in the ACC and 2-4 against unranked teams. (can't remember exactly, I think Raycom or ESPN flashed it up during a game.)

Anyway, they might go higher than Duke (and perhaps rightly so), but I'm not sure anyone will argue they get a higher seed than UNC regardless of the ACC tourney outcome.

jipops
03-11-2009, 01:10 PM
'And the next time you hear someone blather on about Duke’s “tired legs” remember, just because you stick a self-proclaimed Duke hater behind a mike and give him a radio show doesn’t make him an expert.'

true dat!