PDA

View Full Version : Hansbrough 4-time Unanimous All-ACC...well not really

Inonehand
03-11-2009, 10:35 AM
http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/sports/18-1118174.cfm

In case anyone else is wondering...I looked it up...John Justus is a UNC-Chapel Hill graduate.

MulletMan
03-11-2009, 10:44 AM

In case anyone else is wondering...I looked it up...John Justus is a UNC-Chapel Hill graduate.

No... this can't be true! The media only loves Duke. TH would never get any kind of beneficial treatment or publicity. Clearly I should give you some sort of infraction for besmirching his reputation by posting this obviously fabricated news story.

[/end sarcasm]

:D

BD80
03-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Sounds a bit like their first "national championship."

That is just embarrassing. Heh, heh.

Inonehand
03-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Kudos for the Tarheel Herald Sun for even running the story but it is actually misleading as well. The writer that did not vote for Hanstravel actually called the Atlantic Coast Media Association to complain about it after he saw the 106 out of 106 unanimous count to say that he did NOT vote for him. It was never changed.

mph
03-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Would someone summarize the article for those of us not registered with the Herald?

Edit: Never mind. I think I got the gist from the previous post.

Edit 2: Thanks to Highlander for clarification.

Highlander
03-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Would someone summarize the article for those of us not registered with the Herald?

Mods - please verify this isn't outside fair use...

The ACC reported Hans was the first 4 time Unanimous 1st team All ACC player. Problem is, Hansbrough was left off of one ballot his Sophomore year as all ACC 1st team. The guy organizing the ballots changed the dissenting ballot after he couldn't reach the writer to change it. Oh, and this Justis guy graduated from UNC apparently, if you believe in conspiracies.

Inonehand
03-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Mods - please verify this isn't outside fair use...

The ACC reported Hans was the first 4 time Unanimous 1st team All ACC player. Problem is, Hansbrough was left off of one ballot his Sophomore year as all ACC 1st team. The guy organizing the ballots changed the dissenting ballot after he couldn't reach the writer to change it. Oh, and this Justis guy graduated from UNC apparently, if you believe in conspiracies.

Actually, he graduated from UNC even if you don't believe in conspiracies.

bjornolf
03-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Somebody actually CHANGED a ballot? Wow, I don't even have words for that. :eek: I hope he's doesn't have that job anymore. I mean, it would be scandalous enough if somebody kind of just ignored that ballot "accidentally", but to actually actively change a ballot? What other shenanigans are going on over in the ACC offices? This is the kind of thing that can call the conferences' integrity into question for any of these kinds of things. How many other players from around the conference should've been on these teams and lost their spots to these jokers? :eek: Should Duke be counting the money it got the last several seasons? Tongue partially in cheek, but still, this is bad.

blueprofessor
03-11-2009, 01:36 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/unanimous-with-an-asterisk#comment-43749

from the ACC writers' association is in nearly unanimous vote tallies that the vote is rounded up to unanimous.
Well, how about Toney Douglas this year?
None of the stories I have read reveals the executive director of the assoc. by name or undergrad affiliation, which are salient facts.
Only one story indicates that the Wash. Times writer actually contacted the "powers that be"(the executive director) and wanted his vote counted correctly,thereby making it 105/106, not 106/106.That request was denied and the fabrication continued, despite the fact that the ballot was obvious---a 2nd team vote for TH.
This stinks and reminds of big city machine politics. Ballot integrity is sacred.

You ought to read the message boards---I just hope the executive director was not imbibing the same true believer quaff that is sating the thirst of those on the Durham and Charlotte papers' messageboards.
Of course they are not addressing the ballot tampering...

Best regards---Blue "Count every legal ballot accurately"Prof:)

Inonehand
03-11-2009, 03:40 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/unanimous-with-an-asterisk#comment-43749

from the ACC writers' association is in nearly unanimous vote tallies that the vote is rounded up to unanimous.
Well, how about Toney Douglas this year?
None of the stories I have read reveals the executive director of the assoc. by name or undergrad affiliation, which are salient facts.
Only one story indicates that the Wash. Times writer actually contacted the "powers that be"(the executive director) and wanted his vote counted correctly,thereby making it 105/106, not 106/106.That request was denied and the fabrication continued, despite the fact that the ballot was obvious---a 2nd team vote for TH.
This stinks and reminds of big city machine politics. Ballot integrity is sacred.

You ought to read the message boards---I just hope the executive director was not imbibing the same true believer quaff that is sating the thirst of those on the Durham and Charlotte papers' messageboards.
Of course they are not addressing the ballot tampering...

Best regards---Blue "Count every legal ballot accurately"Prof:)

You're exactly right! Toney Douglas was named first team by every voter except one...that one had him second team. No round up for ol' Toney. It really is disgusting.

dukebluelemur
03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Herald Sun registration...

Generally I comply with sites that demand registration, when it has a purpose... however, the HS is one site I gladly hit up bugmenot.com for. Not only do I generally object to having to register for a site just to read news articles (though I put up with it for the Times and such), but the HS takes it above and beyond.

There is NO legitimate reason for them to demand a home phone number and an address just to register to read articles online, and I'll be expletived if I'm going to give them real information so they can harass me.

/rant

As to the article itself... its one of those weird situations where it boggles my mind, yet does not surprise me. I think its especially telling that the A(NC)C guy apparently lied even while coming clean... (about not being able to contact the washington post voter.)

I also find it telling that even after its been made clear there was a 'mistake', nobody has bothered to correct it.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2009, 04:55 PM
There is NO legitimate reason for them to demand a home phone number and an address just to register to read articles online, and I'll be expletived if I'm going to give them real information so they can harass me.

Does anything prevent you from using 867-5309 and 1060 West Addison Street, Chicago Illinois, respectively?

Bluedog
03-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Does anything prevent you from using 867-5309 and 1060 West Addison Street, Chicago Illinois, respectively?

Yeah, I'm Bob Jones with the phone number 555-555-5555 living on 900 Main St, Durham, NC. For some reason, though, bugmenot accounts aren't working on the H-S website anymore. I've used the first one in the past many times without an issue, but today, none of them work anymore! :( So, I sucked it up and signed up as Bob Jones.

blueprofessor
03-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I'm Bob Jones with the phone number 555-555-5555 living on 900 Main St, Durham, NC. For some reason, though, bugmenot accounts aren't working on the H-S website anymore. I've used the first one in the past many times without an issue, but today, none of them work anymore! :( So, I sucked it up and signed up as Bob Jones.

you aren't managing the ACC Sportswriters Association?:D

Inonehand---I did not realize it was one voter in the Douglas tally.Thanks.I also noticed a familiar name with a highly relevant post on one of the newsrag blogs.
Some of the posters are on the attack---blaming the news messengers and claiming Hans' vote was unanimous 'cause the ACC Sportwriters Association said it was.
These folks are obviously taking their academic semesters abroad in Cuba,Korea,Syria, Venezuela,and Russia.:D

Best--Blueprof:)

allenmurray
03-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Some of the posters are on the attack---blaming the news messengers and claiming Hans' vote was unanimous 'cause the ACC Sportwriters Association said it was.
These folks are obviously taking their academic semesters abroad in Cuba,Korea,Syria, Venezuela,and Russia.:D

105 of 106 is not unanimous, unless you've gone "through the looking glass"

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

blueprofessor
03-11-2009, 06:18 PM
105 of 106 is not unanimous, unless you've gone "through the looking glass"

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

letters!:)

165/166=166/166: Could be the "new math" has further metamorphosed.:D

yancem
03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Ok, so this concept/practice of rounding the voting tallies up to be unanimous is a @#$@#*&^ crock of $%#@*&^#$!!!!!!!!!!! It's bad enough that this namsy pamsy PC society of ours coddles the $%#%&*%$ out of little kids by not keeping score in games and giving trophies for 73rd place finishes. Now we hear that we're coddling the egos of 18-22 year old men (or 28 in Hansolo's case) by changing peoples votes so that they can be unanimous all acc selections? Unbelievable!

The worst part is, this Justus guy makes it sound like this is a pretty standard practice.

Indoor66
03-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Ok, so this concept/practice of rounding the voting tallies up to be unanimous is a @#$@#*&^ crock of $%#@*&^#$!!!!!!!!!!! It's bad enough that this namsy pamsy PC society of ours coddles the $%#%&*%$ out of little kids by not keeping score in games and giving trophies for 73rd place finishes. Now we hear that we're coddling the egos of 18-22 year old men (or 28 in Hansolo's case) by changing peoples votes so that they can be unanimous all acc selections? Unbelievable!

The worst part is, this Justus guy makes it sound like this is a pretty standard practice.

Can someone clarify on how many votes one can miss and still qualify to be a unanimous choice? Is it 1 or 2 or 6 or how many? Does it depend on which school you attend? Inquiring minds want to know! ;) :o :mad:

Carlos
03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Somewhere out there Julius Hodge is saying, "round up... WTF?" since he finished with a total of 90 out of 91 first place votes in 2004. Somehow Hodge didn't get the helping hand from old John Justus which could have anointed him as "unanimous" back then.

I really don't have a problem if the ACC goes back to a voter and tells him he was the only guy who didn't vote for someone. But where this gets absurd is when they change the vote without that voter's consent. Where it gets even more off the wall is when that voter actually objects to the change and the league allows it to stand.

For Tyler it could be said:

No justus, no 4-time unanimous All ACC selection; know justice, know 4-time All ACC selection.

Newton_14
03-11-2009, 08:43 PM
The vote count should be a case of "it is what it is". If a player misses by 1 vote or 10 votes, so be it. No changing after the fact. Anything else is, well, just plain wrong. Because as the facts show, the "change" is not applied to all players.

Shame on no "Justus", and shame on the ACC.

dukebluelemur
03-11-2009, 09:45 PM
What confuses me is the way that Justus guy seems to say its standard practice... yet as has been pointed out. Hodge missed it by 1 and it wasnt changed, and Tony Douglas apparantly missed it by just 1 this year, and it wasnt changed.

So basically, its standard practice, if the player is from UNC.

I really wonder how often this has been done, and for who... or whether Mr. Jeb Bush Jr. is just full of crap.

blueduke59
03-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Somewhere out there Julius Hodge is saying, "round up... WTF?" since he finished with a total of 90 out of 91 first place votes in 2004. Somehow Hodge didn't get the helping hand from old John Justus which could have anointed him as "unanimous" back then.

I really don't have a problem if the ACC goes back to a voter and tells him he was the only guy who didn't vote for someone. But where this gets absurd is when they change the vote without that voter's consent. Where it gets even more off the wall is when that voter actually objects to the change and the league allows it to stand.

For Tyler it could be said:

No justus, no 4-time unanimous All ACC selection; know justice, know 4-time All ACC selection.

Hodge received 52 of a possible 93 votes. Duhon was second with 31 votes

DukeUsul
03-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Hodge received 52 of a possible 93 votes. Duhon was second with 31 votes

....for ACC Player of the Year. We're talking about All-ACC First team here, unless I missed something.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030904aab.html

Carlos
03-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Although I was mistaken in thinking the total number of first place votes was 91 instead of 93.

bjornolf
03-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Here's my question... it says he was four time unanimous All-ACC. Um, if he wasn't really unanimous this year, was he really unanimous the other three years? Is he a three time unanimous selection? Two time? ONE TIME? Has he EVER truly been a unanimous All-ACC member? :confused: How do we know votes weren't changed in previous years for him too? Hansbrough's entire career might be fraudulent!

On a paranoid, tongue-in-cheek tangent... Do we know he REALLY scored all those points, or do the powers that be just want JJ off the books? Did scorekeepers transfer a point or two after each game he played from guys like Danny Green? Were refs "encouraged" to call all those fouls and send him to the line so many times to help him break the record? Just how high does this go? :eek: We're through the looking glass here, people. Through the looking glass. Do you want the blue pill, or the red pill, Neo?

gw67
03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
I promised myself to never again post in a thread the mentioned Hansbrough in the title but I couldn't resist for a couple of reasons:
1. One poster asked the question, "Who are the 76 media folks who vote for All ACC?". I have tried to get the answer to that question in the past but have been unsuccessful. It appears that Stevens is one. Apparently, the Post reporters that cover college basketball are not permitted by the paper to vote in the all conference voting according to one of the guys who covered the Terps a few years ago (either Barr or Svrluga if memory serves).
2. I really don't understand the big deal made about being unanimous. You either are a 1st team choice or you are not. Who gives a hoot about how many votes Henderson got. The facts are very clear. Hansbrough is the 1st ACC player to be 1st team All ACC for 4 years. The closest up to this year was Mark Price who made 1st team three times and 2nd team once. IMO, that is a terrific accomplishment in the best conference in college basketball, much better than some career scoring record.

gw67

SharkD
03-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Herald Sun registration...

Generally I comply with sites that demand registration, when it has a purpose... however, the HS is one site I gladly hit up bugmenot.com for. Not only do I generally object to having to register for a site just to read news articles (though I put up with it for the Times and such), but the HS takes it above and beyond.

/rant

There's an easy way to get around Paxton Media Group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paxton_Media_Group)'s desperate grab for lucrative demographic information: put "cache:" in front of the url and Google that.

cache:http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/sports/18-1118174.cfm (http://74.125.47.132/search?hl=en&rls=en-us&q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fheraldsun.southernheadlines .com%2Fsports%2F18-1118174.cfm&btnG=Search)

blueprofessor
03-12-2009, 03:07 PM
What confuses me is the way that Justus guy seems to say its standard practice... yet as has been pointed out. Hodge missed it by 1 and it wasnt changed, and Tony Douglas apparantly missed it by just 1 this year, and it wasnt changed.

So basically, its standard practice, if the player is from UNC.

I really wonder how often this has been done, and for who... or whether Mr. Jeb Bush Jr. is just full of crap.

BTW,Jeb Bush was a Phi Beta Kappa from U. of Texas.He has nothing to do with the ACC.
A consortium(mostly liberal) of national newspapers re-ran the FL vote counting in various manners , including the most extreme in the opponent's favor) and Bush won 16 of 17 scenarios.
The one scenario not re-run: the fact that the heavily Republican Panhandle is in the Central Time Zone and the voting was considerably repressed (costing Bush a gain of 30,000 plus votes) when the race was declared won by Gore by a national network before the polls were closed in the Central Zone part of the state.
I have run several campaigns in FL and am happy that basketball and politics rarely intersect.Your statement begged a clarification,however.
Some of us come to this Main Board to escape politics.If you want politics,please consider the Public Policy site.

Best regards--Blueprof:)

BD80
03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
A consortium(mostly liberal) of national newspapers ...

Sorry. That phrase made me laugh. So redundant.

It is like saying a consortium of tall basketball players or a consortium of short jockeys. Or whiney tarheels (see how I brought that back on topic?)

blueprofessor
03-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Sorry. That phrase made me laugh. So redundant.

It is like saying a consortium of tall basketball players or a consortium of short jockeys. Or whiney tarheels (see how I brought that back on topic?)

loving on Duke and being steadfast against those evil teams that would dare keep us from our rightful prize: the NC!:D:D

JasonEvans
03-12-2009, 04:07 PM
loving on Duke and being steadfast against those evil teams that would dare keep us from our rightful prize: the NC!:D:D

You guys seem to already be headed in this direction but I wanted to make it clear that political discussions/debates will not be tolerated on this bulletin board. Consider this a friendly warning to all of you in this thread and others who might decide to reply to the above political posts.

-Jason "mod" Evans

alteran
04-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Hansbrough 4-time Unanimous All-ACC...well not really

Well, his 4-time unanimous All-ACC Team achievement may be bogus, but his 4-time unanimous inclusion in the All-Beaker Team is undisputed.

alteran
04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
There's an easy way to get around Paxton Media Group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paxton_Media_Group)'s desperate grab for lucrative demographic information: put "cache:" in front of the url and Google that.

cache:http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/sports/18-1118174.cfm (http://74.125.47.132/search?hl=en&rls=en-us&q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fheraldsun.southernheadlines .com%2Fsports%2F18-1118174.cfm&btnG=Search)

I bow to your superior google-fu. Many thanks for that tip.

alteran
04-01-2009, 10:17 AM
You guys seem to already be headed in this direction but I wanted to make it clear that political discussions/debates will not be tolerated on this bulletin board. Consider this a friendly warning to all of you in this thread and others who might decide to reply to the above political posts.

-Jason "mod" Evans

Foiled!!!

I would have got away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!

Qwerty
04-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Well, his 4-time unanimous All-ACC Team achievement may be bogus, but his 4-time unanimous inclusion in the All-Beaker Team is undisputed.

It's really too bad that their new player (Jim) Henson won't be on the team at the same time as Beaker... that could have led to some fun cheers.

johaad
04-01-2009, 09:13 PM
It's really too bad that their new player (Jim) Henson won't be on the team at the same time as Beaker... that could have led to some fun cheers.

Awesome.

gw67
04-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Hansbrough is certainly the most hated Heels player on this site. John Feinstein has a column on Hansbrough in this morning's Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/02/AR2009040203893.html

gw67

ClosetHurleyFan
04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Hansbrough is certainly the most hated Heels player on this site. John Feinstein has a column on Hansbrough in this morning's Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/02/AR2009040203893.html

gw67

I thought that was a really good article........

DevilCastDownfromDurham
04-03-2009, 12:18 PM
and that article works just as well in 2006.

Hansbrough is really interesting to me, a Dukie stuck in Tar Heel Nation, because he flips every stereotype. He's white, more hard-working than gifted, praised by the media, relies on officiating for his game to work. In short, he's Wojo with a few more inches. And every Tar Heel I know who hated Wojo, loathed Shane, and screamed bloody murder every time Vitale mentioned J.J. LOVES Tyler. Conversely, every Duke fan who praised Wojo for "getting the most out of his abilities", defended Shane's drawing charges, and loved J.J. HATES Tyler. As such, Hansbrough points out the fact that fans, in general, don't care about hard work, officiating, media attention, or any of the things they scream about. Fans care about winning.

That's no big secret, of course. But Hansbrough also points out how silly and self-serving most of the anti-Duke and anti-UNC "talking points" are. In 2006 a UNC buddy of mine jokingly mentioned that Hans was basically a Duke player (hard-working, unathletic, etc) while McBob was basically a Carolina player (amazing athleticism, coasted a lot, etc.) Of course neither of these stereotypes are accurate, but we hear a lot about them (cf Battier vs Forte, Melch vs McCants, Paulus vs Lawson) and they underlie a lot of the media discussion about the two programs as that recent SLAM article makes vividly clear. Duke gets killed by Tar Heel fans for having unathletic, "gritty" white kids that get overhyped by the media, but if it's one of theirs, he's suddenly ok. And we kill UNC for having guys that "take plays off", but as soon as Hansbrough fulfills what we say we love, that's "obnoxious" and "ugly" basketball.

My point is that programs build an identity around the players they have and then elevate that as the "right" way. We love hard-nosed D and finesse O because that's what we've had success with. If we ran some crazy zone D and a gritty, post-oriented O that would be the "right way" and if UNC played the D we use we'd hate them for it. There is no high ground in fandom. Not based on style of play, tactics, or skills vs hard work (which every player on every team has an amazing mix of). It's probably good for all of us, no matter what shade of blue (or red, or green, or whatever) we wear, to be reminded of that every once in a while.

bjornolf
04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Good points. I just can't get over the mouth breathing with the eyes wide open and bulging. He looks like a fish.

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/n/nh/nhennette/973358_gold_fish_with_open_mouth.jpg

JStuart
04-03-2009, 12:45 PM
and that article works just as well in 2006.

Hansbrough is really interesting to me, a Dukie stuck in Tar Heel Nation, because he flips every stereotype. He's white, more hard-working than gifted, praised by the media, relies on officiating for his game to work. In short, he's Wojo with a few more inches. And every Tar Heel I know who hated Wojo, loathed Shane, and screamed bloody murder every time Vitale mentioned J.J. LOVES Tyler. Conversely, every Duke fan who praised Wojo for "getting the most out of his abilities", defended Shane's drawing charges, and loved J.J. HATES Tyler. As such, Hansbrough points out the fact that fans, in general, don't care about hard work, officiating, media attention, or any of the things they scream about. Fans care about winning.

Perhaps, but it sure seemed to me that Wojo, Shane, and JJ had far more wheels turning inside their heads than Hans9f has; he is closer to a one or two trick pony, and I'll never understand how or why he never got into foul trouble his first two years, when nearly every ACC big freshmen have to sit down due to fouls. Arrgh. At least there are only two more games possible that he'll be visible; hopefully only one more.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
04-03-2009, 01:23 PM
And viscerally I'm in 100% agreement. That guy stinks, he has no game, and his mother dresses him funny. But from a UNC perspective Shane looked funny (his head), got away with murder in terms of drawing charges, and was too overhyped. That's just how fans (people) are.

The goldfish thing did make me laugh, though. A lot.

MAG0297
04-03-2009, 07:25 PM
I have always thought that he was WAY overrated. It seems like everytime he comes up against legitimate big men....Darrel Arthur, Aldrich, Griffen, he comes out second best. He shoots a suspiciously high amount of Free Throws (great at this by the way) and seems to be a giant hole in defense that Wright, Thompson, etc. have been forced to cover. This is probably some of my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie bias coming out. Oh yeah maybe he gets to the line so much because his shooting technique is so ugly it looks like he gets fouled. Im not saying he wasn't good in college, I just dont think he has ever been close to being the best player in college, maybe not even on his own team.

I would rather have lawson, ellington, greene, thompson, and ed davis than hansbrough. I think UNC fans might get a grip next year when Deon, Henson, and Davis (if he doesn't leave) more than fill the scoring gap in the post left by crazy T. I hate losing to Carolina but I really hate losing to Hansbrough! I also think that there are plenty of players in college basketball that try equally as hard and have as much heart.

Honestly, how many people that have been national player of the year can get into early foul trouble, and their team isn't affected at all, IMO they even got better.

There definitely is some venting in this post, but I'm not sure how far from the truth it is.

rippy74
04-04-2009, 03:17 PM
I have always thought that he was WAY overrated. It seems like everytime he comes up against legitimate big men....Darrel Arthur, Aldrich, Griffen, he comes out second best. He shoots a suspiciously high amount of Free Throws (great at this by the way) and seems to be a giant hole in defense that Wright, Thompson, etc. have been forced to cover. This is probably some of my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie bias coming out. Oh yeah maybe he gets to the line so much because his shooting technique is so ugly it looks like he gets fouled. Im not saying he wasn't good in college, I just dont think he has ever been close to being the best player in college, maybe not even on his own team.

I would rather have lawson, ellington, greene, thompson, and ed davis than hansbrough. I think UNC fans might get a grip next year when Deon, Henson, and Davis (if he doesn't leave) more than fill the scoring gap in the post left by crazy T. I hate losing to Carolina but I really hate losing to Hansbrough! I also think that there are plenty of players in college basketball that try equally as hard and have as much heart.

Honestly, how many people that have been national player of the year can get into early foul trouble, and their team isn't affected at all, IMO they even got better.

There definitely is some venting in this post, but I'm not sure how far from the truth it is.

Really? "It seems like everytime he comes up against legitimate big men...he comes out second best" - you mean like Shelden Williams? Here are his stats against the Landlord -Defensive Player of the year.

Hansbrough 14pts 9rbs 1blk 4to 3stls 2fouls
Williams 13pts 9rbs 4blk 5to 4stls 4fouls

Hansbrough 27pts 10rbs 2blk 2to 1stl 4fouls
Williams 18pts 15rbs 6blk 5to 1stl 4fouls

Saying you don't like the way the guy plays is one thing. Saying he is overated as a college player is simply wrong.

MAG0297
04-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Really? "It seems like everytime he comes up against legitimate big men...he comes out second best" - you mean like Shelden Williams? Here are his stats against the Landlord -Defensive Player of the year.

Hansbrough 14pts 9rbs 1blk 4to 3stls 2fouls
Williams 13pts 9rbs 4blk 5to 4stls 4fouls

Hansbrough 27pts 10rbs 2blk 2to 1stl 4fouls
Williams 18pts 15rbs 6blk 5to 1stl 4fouls

Saying you don't like the way the guy plays is one thing. Saying he is overated as a college player is simply wrong.

Overrated in the sense that he has never been the best player in the country. I remember those games against Shelden and Hansbrough definitely played well in those, but he had to pull a lot more weight because he didn't have the scorers that Williams had; admittedly I probably expressed a great deal of frustration in my previous post. However I don't think it is wrong to argue that T is a little over glorified and he certaintly wasn't more valuable to UNC last year than Derick Rose was to Memphis; I don't think this can be rationally argued. So overrated in the sense that he hasn't ever been the best in the country and Ty Lawson is way more valuable to the Heels than Hansbrough is; this year has provided evidence of this.

Trying to be as neutral as possible, which is difficult, I would honestly rather have Lawson, Wayne E., Greene, Thompson, and Davis than Hansbrough. Thomspon and Davis are much better defensively and I don't expect there to be much dropoff, if any, in offensive post production for the Heels next year. We shall have to wait and see.