PDA

View Full Version : Blue Planet

dgoore97
03-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Just a thought as i was watching G's highlight video here:

http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/

this will be offensive to some, but i have to say it anyway...

there is a lot of discussion on the site about the kind of players we get and the kind we don't seem to get -- i.e. we get the brian zoubeks and not the greg monroe's (or oden's) of the world. yet on our recruiting site (otherwise extremely well done IMO) i see G dunking and the music is this (bad) hard rock music. is that what we think john wall is listening to? was kenny boynton listening to that? if we had only country music playing it would stand to reason we would attract a certain kind of kid right? not making a judgment about what the right things to look for in a kid are, but i think it makes sense to pay attention to what image we are presenting.

i guess i think we could do a better job reaching out to a broader audience if we really want to connect with more kids

ok you can beat me up about it now... i am such a jerk...

BlueintheFace
03-10-2009, 11:35 PM
ummm, I kind of agree. Although, it is possible that a decision was made not to use rap. Also there are legal concerns and hurdles for using artists' music

Still, we can get better beats than that right?

FireOgilvie
03-10-2009, 11:41 PM
I see what you're saying... but if Monroe, Boynton, Wall, or any other player base their college choice on what kind of music is played during a highlight video, it's probably better that they don't come. I know for a fact that players on the current team listen to a wide variety of music...

BlueintheFace
03-10-2009, 11:43 PM
I see what you're saying... but if Monroe, Boynton, Wall, or any other player base their college choice on what kind of music is played during a highlight video, it's probably better that they don't come. I know for a fact that players on the current team listen to a wide variety of music...

I don't think he is saying that the music is a make-or-break element... just that we could do better in fulfilling one of the purposes of the site... to cater to young recruits.

FireOgilvie
03-10-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't think he is saying that the music is a make-or-break element... just that we could do better in fulfilling one of the purposes of the site... to cater to young recruits.

Right. I listened to the music and I kind of like it... but Duke definitely doesn't want me to play for them. Maybe they should change it.

dgoore97
03-10-2009, 11:57 PM
i am not saying any player is choosing a school explicitly b/s of the music on the website, but people, recruits included, have certain expectations of duke, that it is a "white school" or a school of "privilege" when there are actually a lot of other sides to the experience. i just think the music feeds that notion, and while it's not explicitly about the music, i think at the margin, college (esp for one year) is not all that different wherever you go.

the marginal feeling that this is "my kind of place" will make a difference. recruits who have made it past the initial impression have often said that Duke was not what they had been expecting, the goal should be to get more kids over that hump.

Gunnar Kaufman
03-10-2009, 11:58 PM
ummm, I kind of agree. Although, it is possible that a decision was made not to use rap. Also there are legal concerns and hurdles for using artists' music

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

BlueintheFace
03-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Right. I listened to the music and I kind of like it... but Duke definitely doesn't want me to play for them. Maybe they should change it.

.... what?

moonpie23
03-11-2009, 12:06 AM
uggh....the cut on that video was what we in the music business refer to as "less than adequate" to accompany G's exploits..

please contact me (anyone) about putting some I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.in' beats (technical term mods) to any forthcoming highlight videos and i will be more than happy to hook you up. (license free)

sheesh.....

heyman25
03-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Just a thought as i was watching G's highlight video here:

http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/

this will be offensive to some, but i have to say it anyway...

there is a lot of discussion on the site about the kind of players we get and the kind we don't seem to get -- i.e. we get the brian zoubeks and not the greg monroe's (or oden's) of the world. yet on our recruiting site (otherwise extremely well done IMO) i see G dunking and the music is this (bad) hard rock music. is that what we think john wall is listening to? was kenny boynton listening to that? if we had only country music playing it would stand to reason we would attract a certain kind of kid right? not making a judgment about what the right things to look for in a kid are, but i think it makes sense to pay attention to what image we are presenting.

i guess i think we could do a better job reaching out to a broader audience if we really want to connect with more kids

ok you can beat me up about it now... i am such a jerk...

It is a lame audio track. Totally agree.I know Duke has high academic requirements, but I could see this presentation totally alien to a John Wall or Eric Bledsoe. Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee might dig it,but they are already in. I like Bob Harris, but his enthusiastic screaming is in the audio too much.

Dukie4Life
03-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Call me crazy but I don't think the music on a website is going to sway a recruits decision one way or the other. I'm really hoping its the coaching staff and the current players! Maybe G picked the music? It is a sight ran by the basketball people.... just an idea....

bjornolf
03-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Eh, most highlight videos have some kind of music similar to that. The biggest problem I have is all the yelling and screaming by the announcers and others in the background. The music itself wasn't bad. If I was going to have people yelling in the background, I'd probably just have Cameron Crazie noise or cheers.

Billy Dat
03-11-2009, 09:24 AM
We've got C-Well and Nate on the recruiting trail now. While I am sure being black won't hurt in recruiting black players, I think C-Well's perspective, having come to Duke from the "rough streets" of St Louie, will make recruits pay attention when he comments on the perception/reality of Duke...at least I hope it will.

But, we didn't have young black coaches like Nate and C-Well when we hauled in Elton Brand, Will Avery, Corey Magette, Carlos Boozer, etc.

bjornolf
03-11-2009, 09:58 AM
But, we didn't have young black coaches like Nate and C-Well when we hauled in Elton Brand, Will Avery, Corey Magette, Carlos Boozer, etc.

No, but we had Johnny Dawkins, a legit NBA player. I love our coaches, but we don't have a legit NBA player among them anymore, do we?

SupaDave
03-11-2009, 10:03 AM
No, but we had Johnny Dawkins, a legit NBA player. I love our coaches, but we don't have a legit NBA player among them anymore, do we?

That's b/c all of our legit NBA players are still IN the NBA. :)

Not to mention, we have a growing coaching tree. Something else that folks forget that some players come to Duke for. We get a lot of coach's and player's sons. That shouldn't be taken lightly.

devilish
03-11-2009, 10:05 AM

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what other ACC schools or top programs have legit NBA players on their coaching staff?

SupaDave
03-11-2009, 10:06 AM

I think FO is trying to say that his bball talents are not what we are looking for.

bjornolf
03-11-2009, 10:20 AM
That's b/c all of our legit NBA players are still IN the NBA. :)

No, I understand that, but I think it helped our recruiting a lot to have a man like Johnny Dawkins, a very well-mannered, intelligent black coach with a successful NBA career under his belt. C-Well and Nate have a lot going for them, but they don't have the successful NBA career, which, let's face it, is very attractive to a LOT of young players.

devilish
03-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Since nobody answered, I looked around to find a schools with a legit NBA player on it's staff and, so far, have only found one:

http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/manning_danny00.html

I'll look again when I get some more time.

Billy Dat
03-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Rod Strickland is one of Callipari's assistants.

To me, the success our NBA players are having/have had speaks for itself. It's not like the program doesn't produce lottery picks, first rounders, etc. I don't think we need an NBA veteran on staff.

But, I do think it helps to have young black coaches, especially ones that recently played at the school, for the coach, and navigated the social scene/campus life.

If we are narrowing the discussion to attracting young black players from largely black communities, then I think there is an issue of Duke's perception vs reality. The perception, Duke is an isolated lilly white campus with a boring social scene populated by a bunch of bookworms. Now, I haven't been an undergrad for quite some time, but I've at least got some stats to somewhat refute the lilly white piece:

Top 5 black freshman enrollment at highest-ranked national universities:
www.usnews.com
Columbia (12.1 percent)
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (10.8 percent)
Stanford University (10.5 percent)
Duke University (10.1 percent)
Yale University (10 percent)

Now, that doesn't mean black players want to go somewhere with a lot of other black students - but it likely factors in, somewhat. I think that Nate and C-Well can bring a perspective to black recruits that the other coaches simply can't...the one that says "hey, this place may seem pretty foreign, but here's the reality...." It's also a perspective that Johnny couldn't really bring because he was that much older.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
The irony is that we have some really great artists in the Durham/Triangle area. Obviously 9th Wonder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Wonder) is local, but we've also got a ton of lesser-known groups like The Beast (http://www.myspace.com/thebeastreality) (with Nnenna Freelon's son, Pierce) that are doing really great stuff and have some actual street cred. I'm not sure I want John Darnielle doing background music or anything (actually, I'd really love that :D), but this is one of the best areas in the country for music with everything from indie rock labels to Branford Marsalis and the Bull Durham Blues Festival.

Using local musicians would give these videos some real flair and appeal as well as highlighting how great Durham is in terms of arts and culture, particularly for African-American recruits who often do have a false impression of Duke and Durham.