PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Nelson Update

Lauty Da
03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
He signed today with the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League. Should be a good situation for him to develop his skills. Ironically, he is playing for the only Duke affiliated coach in the D-League---none other than Quin Snyder (who as an aside is doing really well this year and is a leading candidate for D-League Coach of the year--in fact, he coached the D-League All Star game in Phoenix).

For all you basketball junkies, his teammates include Marcus Williams (formerly of Arizona, who has been playing extremely well all year and might soon be called up to the NBA), Squeaky Johnson (formerly of UAB), Stanley Burrell (played last year at Xavier), Dwayne Jones (played in the NBA last year and formerly of St. Joe's), and DerMarr Johnson (played for Hawk and formerly of Cincinnati). DeMarcus replaces Pops Mensah-Bonsu who just signed with the Toronto Rapters for the rest of the season.

If you're ever interested in following our DeMarcus, tune into NBA Futurecast (nba.com/dleague and click on "NBA Futurecast" red button)---which streams live all NBA D-League/Austin Toros games.

I'm watching D-Marc now and he looks pretty good---been running the point for Austin, which is what he needs to learn to play at the next level.

BlueintheFace
03-10-2009, 10:28 PM
as a current resident of Austin I will do my duty and go to a game.

geraldsneighbor
03-10-2009, 10:34 PM
When was he released by GS? I sort of lost touch with where Demarcus was playing this year. Best of luck to him though, I miss seeing him play here a lot.

heyman25
03-11-2009, 01:39 AM
2 or 3 months ago he was released by GS

CameronBornAndBred
03-11-2009, 08:15 AM
That's cool. I knew he signed with a team overseas, but I thought it was a really short stint because when I looked at their site a couple of weeks ago they had listed him as being no longer on the roster. Snyder has done a great job with the Toros since he took over. He has coached one Dukie before, but not for very long. Jason Williams was with them while attempting his comeback, for about a week. Best of luck to DeMarcus, happy he is back in the states. As far as I know, many of the D-League games can be streamed for free.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/