PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Smith practices today

watzone
03-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Nolan returned to the practice court today. That's good news, for sure.

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1921

CameronBornAndBred
03-10-2009, 04:34 PM
That's great to hear, looking forward to seeing him on the court again. I'm really looking forward to see he will fit in with the lineup we are using now. Also curious to see where it leaves Paulus.

jamos14
03-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Very good news. Even if he only plays a little in tournament, it will be important for him to get back in the flow.

Bluedog
03-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the news watzone. I hadn't realized he also bruised his ribs in addition to the concussion. Nolan definitely will be needed in the ACC and NCAA tournaments - especially on the defensive end. Hope he gets back to 100% as quickly as possible!

dukestheheat
03-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Now, I'm excited. Flat out, Nolan is my favorite player on the team. With Scheyer at the PG spot, now Nolan can do what he does best: EXPLODE on defense and offense, and create mayhem on the floor. Duke is great when Nolan ATTACKS!

Get ready everybody, Nolan is coming back! Whooo hoooooo!

dukestheheat.

Newton_14
03-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Wonderful news.

After reading the life story on Nolan last night, I gained a whole new perspective on him and his situation. I knew he lost his dad but did not know the whole story. After reading that, I can't think of anyone who deserves good things to happen to them more than Nolan. I really hope he gets healthy and grows into the player we all know he can be. I know I will be pulling for him harder than I have ever pulled for a player.

Go Nolan and Go Duke

DukeChapel'90
03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Even if Nolan can only play 10 minutes, that is 5 minutes of rest for G and Elliott. This should also increase the intensity in practice. Nolan is a very hard worker which will only push the rest of the guys a little bit more. I hope he can get back to full speed by NCAAT. This gives him some good tune-up time. I just hope he doesn't push too hard and re-injure himself. At the same time, I hope this doesn't limit his aggressiveness in the long term. Such a good kid...his Dad is smiling down and very proud!

CDu
03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
That is good news. Hopefully he can avoid setbacks and maybe be able to contribute a bit during the ACC tournament. That would be a plus. I'm not sure how much should be expected of him for a bit, but there is certainly the potential that he can make a good contribution off the bench.

If he's healthy, he gives us another good on-ball defender who can give Williams a break without a huge dropoff in defensive intensity. Or, he can play in tandem with Williams to really step up the defensive pressure. And not least importantly, he gives us another talented player in the rotation in the event of foul trouble on the wings. Availability of quality depth is always a good thing.

Having Thomas and (hopefully) Smith back would be a huge psychological boost.

moonpie23
03-11-2009, 12:22 AM
great news...regardless of his minutes, i'm glad to hear he's cleared medically...

dukerev
03-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Go. To. Work. Nolan.

bjornolf
03-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the news watzone. I hadn't realized he also bruised his ribs in addition to the concussion. Nolan definitely will be needed in the ACC and NCAA tournaments - especially on the defensive end. Hope he gets back to 100% as quickly as possible!

My FIRST thought after the hit was that his ribs were injured. I was hoping against hope that he'd just had the wind knocked out of him. If you watch closely, his hand goes to his mid-section immediately after the hit, even before his head, and when the trainer is with him immediately after the play on the floor, the trainer's probing his stomach and chest. Afterward, I re-watched it and thought it was really odd that the trainer was paying so much attention to his torso if it was a concussion. I guess I know why now.

I wonder if one of those boxing helmets would be a good idea for his first couple practices, just in case he bonks his head a couple times.

Houston
03-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Welcome back Nolan! You were missed. I'm looking forward to you having a wicked awesome ACC tournament!

blazindw
03-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Good to see that he's back. Even him playing a little bit in the ACC Tourney will really help us and he can get back into the flow before the Big Dance.

tele
03-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Great News!!

blueprofessor
03-11-2009, 06:26 PM
That is good news. Hopefully he can avoid setbacks and maybe be able to contribute a bit during the ACC tournament. That would be a plus. I'm not sure how much should be expected of him for a bit, but there is certainly the potential that he can make a good contribution off the bench.

If he's healthy, he gives us another good on-ball defender who can give Williams a break without a huge dropoff in defensive intensity. Or, he can play in tandem with Williams to really step up the defensive pressure. And not least importantly, he gives us another talented player in the rotation in the event of foul trouble on the wings. Availability of quality depth is always a good thing.

Having Thomas and (hopefully) Smith back would be a huge psychological boost.
...exceedingly well---the expectation is reduced.:)
If he can practice, what would prevent his playing a good bit?

Best--Blueprof:)

Duvall
03-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Nolan Smith upgraded to "probable" for Friday night's quarterfinal game (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/dukes-smith-probable-for-friday).

BD80
03-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Perfect situation. No expectations or pressure. Whatever we get is a bonus.

This is a great chance for Nolan to get his mojo back. He can be the guy that kicks the intensity up a notch when he comes into the game.

Any minutes he can contribute will help considering we hope to have 3 games in 3 days.