PDA

View Full Version : They're baaaaaaaaaaaaaack (VCU)

RelativeWays
03-09-2009, 09:33 PM
So VCU won the CAA championship and is back in the tourney. If they are anywhere near our bracket, I will find the closest person responsible and punch them. Hard.

roywhite
03-09-2009, 09:41 PM
So VCU won the CAA championship and is back in the tourney. If they are anywhere near our bracket, I will find the closest person responsible and punch them. Hard.

Naahh...put 'em in our bracket. Time for a beatdown.

I think we'll defend Mr. Maynor and his friends better this time. Jon Scheyer has a scar and some bad memories from the first meeting; safe to say that he would be up for a rematch, and he now has Elliot Williams to help him defend.

BlueintheFace
03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
WE WANT MAYNOR!!!!

This must happen...

At some point, Jon ummm inadvertantly throws an elbow into Maynor's eye socket and cuts him. As he is walking next to a patched up Maynor later in the game he says, "we are even."

Duke goes on to win the game by 30, including a huge Scheyer stuff on a Maynor pull up.

roywhite
03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
WE WANT MAYNOR!!!!

This must happen...

At some point, Jon ummm inadvertantly throws an elbow into Maynor's eye socket and cuts him. As he is walking next to a patched up Maynor later in the game he says, "we are even."

Duke goes on to win the game by 30, including a huge Scheyer stuff on a Maynor pull up.

It would be one of those matchups that the selection committee claims they do not intentionally set up, but just seems to happen. :)

DukieBoy
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Lunardi currently has them as a 12 seed in the Boston bracket. But like ^ already said, the selection committee accidentally intentionally puts matchups like this together.

RelativeWays
03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Lunardi currently has them as a 12 seed in the Boston bracket. But like ^ already said, the selection committee accidentally intentionally puts matchups like this together.

And they'll do it to us accidentally on purpose as someone's sick idea of a joke. To be fair, they've had Kansas in UNC's bracket for a couple of years after Roy left but the Jayhawks always got dumped the first weekend. They finally met when the committee didn't try to force it (and the payoff was everything I imagined and more!)

quickgtp
03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I hope we land VCU. This Duke team would crush VCU, and it would feel great watching it.

Lavabe
03-09-2009, 10:11 PM
If the matchup occurs, this time I want a recording of what happens in the press room in Greensboro. :mad:;)

devildeac
03-09-2009, 11:01 PM
I'd like that match up this year...

FireOgilvie
03-09-2009, 11:08 PM
I'd like that match up this year...

They're going to be a tough team to beat this year for someone, although we obviously could/probably would... they looked good tonight, though. Their center (a sophomore) had 18 points, 20 rebounds, and 7 blocks and Maynor had 25 points, 8 assists. The rest of their team is pretty weak.

duketaylor
03-10-2009, 12:42 AM
to want VCU.

This VCU team's better than the one that beat us two years ago, period. Duke's better as well, but not in a way as so the game wouldn't be very close.
Don't want this match-up for nothing in the world.

Capn Poptart
03-10-2009, 07:12 AM
VCU is better than 2 years ago. They have an inside-outside presence in Maynor and Sanders (20 rebs in CAA finals) that should worry people.

slower
03-10-2009, 08:12 AM
WE WANT MAYNOR!!!!

This must happen...

but not sure how realistic it would be to think we'd win by 30. After the ups and downs of this season, it's just ridiculous to seriously think that we will beat anybody by that margin. Not saying it won't happen, just that it's masochistic to expect it.

As far as justice for Maynor is concerned, not sure that Jon is the guy for that. Put Kyle on him and distract the refs with a shiny object. ;)

weezie
03-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm surprised that Anthony Grant hasn't been snatched by another program. He'd be a great Arizona fit.

roywhite
03-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Message board bravado is cheap and easy, and VCU is a good team.

But I really wouldn't mind seeing that matchup, and I suspect the Duke team and coaches feel the same way. This is a more confident, mature team than our 2007 entry and better equipped to play against quick guards.

Jon's injury and the VCU celebration are not pleasant memories. Coach K and his guys would be ready for a rematch.

ramdevil
03-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Maynor is good. Period. It has been a lot of fun watching him play for four years. VCU will really miss him.

Question for duketaylor and others in the know: do you really think VCU is better this year than two years ago? Maynor likely is (more experience), but it seems like the rest of the team is not as good. They seem smaller to me - no big bodies to clog up the middle. Sanders is still very rough - he could not hold on to the ball Sunday, missing a point blank dunk, uncontested, when he just dropped the ball. Rodriguez is very scrappy and fun to watch, but very short.

ramdevil

Reddevil
03-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe the VCU Rams will draw and dispose of the heels. There can be only one....ungulate.

CDu
03-10-2009, 12:48 PM
to want VCU.

This VCU team's better than the one that beat us two years ago, period. Duke's better as well, but not in a way as so the game wouldn't be very close.
Don't want this match-up for nothing in the world.

I'm not saying I want any team in the tournament, but I wouldn't say this VCU team is better than the 2007 team. I'm not saying the current version isn't talented or dangerous, just that the 2007 team was better.

That 2007 team had much better depth and experience. Walker and Pellet-Rosa were seniors who provided leadership and great shooting and scoring. Shuler provided a fourth perimeter scoring threat. They had a less experienced Maynor, but he was still very good. And Fameni and Anderson gave them solid rebounding and post play.

This year's team has a senior Maynor (who is very good) and an imposing but foul-prone big man in Sanders. In those areas, they're better. Aside from that, though, they're pretty pedestrian. They don't have nearly the offensive versatility that the 2007 team had. They have a couple of decent young players in Rodriguez and Burgess, but those guys are a big dropoff from the experience and consistency that Walker and Pellet-Rosa had. And after that, there's really nothing noteworthy on this year's team.

ramdevil
03-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I agree with CDu - also, I think the whole CAA is weaker this year than in previous years. UNCW, George Mason, and ODU all used to be possible (really unlikely) candidates for an at-large bid, but not this year. I hope VCU does well and wins as many games as possible - except for one.

wisteria
03-10-2009, 01:14 PM
No. No VCU again please.

I still remember what I was on that day. Made the biggest mistake of watching a Duke game at a bar at the junction of Durham and Chapel Hill.

I swore I'll never go back there again.

Fish80
03-10-2009, 01:16 PM
WE WANT MAYNOR!!!!

This must happen...

I don't wish for any particular match up. Sure, if it happens, playing VCU would be fun. And if the match up happens, we can expect them to compete. VCU isn't going to roll over.

As for Scheyer's revenge, my guess is that the only revenge he wants is a victory.

zingit
03-10-2009, 04:20 PM
When I first read this, I thought, "Sure, bring them on." But after reading Luke Winn's piece (http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/tourney/posts/56081-eric-maynor-has-a-scary-sidekick-at-vcu) on them, I do NOT want to face VCU again. Yes, we are much much better than we were that year, but still, teams with NCAA tournament experience and talented guards are recipes for upsets. No one should overlook them.

bird
03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
I want no part of Maynor. Some of the things he did against GMU were mind-blowing. One play he elevated to the basket from the edge of the box in full shooting motion, was covered, and before he landed he rifled a pass to a teammate behind him to the right. Maynor is as quick as Lawson and has similar creativity, but much more of a shooting threat, like Teague. Just the kind of player Duke has a hard time handling.

roywhite
03-20-2009, 12:23 AM
They're gone.....

Mr. Maynor...ahhhh...seeeyaaaaa!

I was glad to see it. Maynor did not get off a good shot at the end.

FerryFor50
03-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Live by Maynor, die by Maynor.

That guy was taking a lot of terrible shots, including the final one. Maybe he should learn to pass it?

bjornolf
03-20-2009, 12:50 AM
They're back...

And, they're gone.

devildownunder
03-20-2009, 12:56 AM

You don't have to worry about the Rams, or Maynor, anymore.

Clipsfan
03-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I, for one, was very happy to see the last shot end up short. I'm rooting for UCLA, although of course I have them bowing out in the Sweet 16. My loyalties are not divided...

The game shouldn't have been as close as it was. UCLA was fouled on a lot of layups and didn't get the calls (and didn't finish). The Villanova game should be fun. Too bad American didn't win.

devildeac
03-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Darn Duke curse:rolleyes:;)