Trevor Booker, Clemson (67)
Toney Douglas, Florida State (67)
Solomon Alabi, Florida State (53)
Danny Green, North Carolina (28)
L.D. Williams, Wake Forest (26)

Honorable Mention
Ty Lawson, North Carolina (20)
Gani Lawal, Georgia Tech (17)
Courtney Fells, North Carolina State (16)
Gerald Henderson, Duke (15)

* Unanimous selection.

AtlBluRew
03-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Congratulations to Gerald and Kyle.

That said, Scheyer deserves some recognition here! I'd have put him on the second team. I love his contributions to this team and program.

jamos14
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
I was also disappointed that Scheyer did not even get an Honorable Mention. I also guess that it was impossible for Hansbrough to not make the 1st team. But the only unanimous selection? Too much love from the media this year. I think he is getting credit for his performance in his previous 3 seasons.

Bob Green
03-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Jon Scheyer has emerged as Duke's MVP since taking over point guard duties. Our offense is really taking care of the basketball. We are playing great ball heading into the ACCT and I'm optimistic Scheyer will receive plenty of recognition as the main cog in the machine. I expect to see Scheyer on the All ACCT Team.

Skitzle
03-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Other than the complete Scheyer omission the only thing that shocks me is the Lawson honorable mention for the defensive team.

FireOgilvie
03-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Jon Scheyer has emerged as Duke's MVP since taking over point guard duties. Our offense is really taking care of the basketball. We are playing great ball heading into the ACCT and I'm optimistic Scheyer will receive plenty of recognition as the main cog in the machine. I expect to see Scheyer on the All ACCT Team.

I agree. Next year is Scheyer's year. The slump in the middle of the year really hurt his chances at any kind of recognition... but he's come out of it recently with his PG play. Looking at his entire season, he's only shooting 39% from the field.

Having said that, the defensive teams are a complete JOKE. Ty Lawson? Are you kidding me? This is the same guy that got lit up by Teague, Vasquez, and Rice in their losses. Two Tar Heels over any Duke player... give me a break. The teams are chosen by people that simply sort the "blocks" and "steals" columns and choose the guys at the top.

Highlander
03-09-2009, 04:24 PM
First four on the All ACC I don't think are all that surprising. But McClinton as #5 is a bit of a surprise. He beat out Teague by 3 votes, but Teague's team tied for second in the league and I figured that would be the tiebreaker for most. Guess not.

I'm very surprised to see that UNC managed a player on the ACC All Defensive team and one HM, and Duke managed only one HM. Our defense slipped a good bit over the second half of the season statistically, and we've given up a fair number of 50+% shooting games. However, we still had better numbers than anyone else in the conference with the exception of FSU. The best thing I can say about UNC's defense is that it was as good as it needed to be, but certainly wasn't outstanding.

Our problem was that our team defense in general was greater than the sum of its parts in the first part of the season, then faded down the stretch. We don't have a marquee defensive stopper this year, although Williams has helped a great deal in that regard, and the All Defensive team certainly favors those names.

Gerald and Kyle ended up exactly where I thought they would be. Would have liked to seen Scheyer on the list too, but am not surprised he's not there. It's a great league this year.

Wander
03-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Hansbrough as POY is a joke. Should go to either Lawson or Douglas.

I don't think the Scheyer omission is wrong - just too many good guards in the ACC. Maybe if we had been playing Jon at point the entire ACC season (or at least more than half), but as it stands, the teams look about right.

jimsumner
03-09-2009, 04:34 PM
POY hasn't been announced yet.

As much as I like Scheyer, there simply is no objective way to place him as one of the ACC's top 15. This year.

But next year? Only six of the 15 players are seniors but most of the other 9 will at least look at the NBA and I would expect 5 or 6 to pull the trigger.

So, the opportunity should exist next season for lots of new stars to emerge.

Wander
03-09-2009, 04:39 PM
POY hasn't been announced yet.

How is POY decided? I assumed it was just the leading vote-getter on the all ACC teams, but now that I think about it, I don't actually know that.

Classof06
03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
What I find shocking is that nobody from Duke made the all-defensive team....despite Duke being 2nd in the league for opponents' points per game at 65.7 (FSU was #1)

I also can't believe Danny Green was 3rd Team while Ellington was Honorable Mention. Wayne Ellington's had a really good season, averaging more points and rebounds than Green (rebounds despite being 2-3 inches shorter than Green).

hurleyfor3
03-09-2009, 04:50 PM
How is POY decided? I assumed it was just the leading vote-getter on the all ACC teams, but now that I think about it, I don't actually know that.

Nope, it's a separate vote. There's no point system as with baseball's MVPs; everyone votes for just one player. Remember Forte and Battier tied in 2001. Joe Forte, Most Valuable Player... that's pretty hilarious to think about nowadays.

FerryFor50
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
What I find shocking is that nobody from Duke made the all-defensive team....despite Duke being 2nd in the league for opponents' points per game at 65.7 (FSU was #1)

I also can't believe Danny Green was 3rd Team while Ellington was Honorable Mention. Wayne Ellington's had a really good season, averaging more points and rebounds than Green (rebounds despite being 2-3 inches shorter than Green).

Obviously, Danny Green dances better. :rolleyes:

rthomas
03-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Other than the complete Scheyer omission the only thing that shocks me is the Lawson honorable mention for the defensive team.

The toe problem kept him from being 1st team.

Bob Green
03-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I also can't believe Danny Green was 3rd Team while Ellington was Honorable Mention.

Danny Green is a very good defensive player who hustles back and blocks shots. His weaknesses are poor shot selection and decision making on the offensive end of the court.

GoingFor#5
03-09-2009, 05:03 PM
ACC was just too good this year - Scheyer will be on there next year. Also too bad EW didn't get into the lineup earlier as he would've been on the all-Rookie team.

InSpades
03-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Scheyer made my all-ACC 1st team since February 22nd team. It was unanimous in fact :).

If all goes well hopefully we can see him 1st team all-ACC tournament.

Billy Dat
03-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Looking at these teams, if you had to bet the farm on a game pitting the first team against the second team, which team would you throw in with?

I don't know that I am picking G, Psycho T, Douglas, McClinton and Lawson over Singler, Teague, Rice, Booker and General Grievous.

Great year for the league, especially in the backcourt.

SMO
03-09-2009, 05:12 PM

No joke! Lawson gets lit up regularly by opposing PGs, Scheyer being the latest.

SMO
03-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Looking at these teams, if you had to bet the farm on a game pitting the first team against the second team, which team would you throw in with?

I don't know that I am picking G, Psycho T, Douglas, McClinton and Lawson over Singler, Teague, Rice, Booker and General Grievous.

Great year for the league, especially in the backcourt.

Doggone it! When you look at it that way it shows just how strong the league is. Play 10 times and these teams could split 5-5.

Billy Dat
03-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Doggone it! When you look at it that way it shows just how strong the league is. Play 10 times and these teams could split 5-5.

And if you had Scheyer running the point on the 3rd team, moved Lawal to the bench, and went 4 guard with Johnson manning up the post, I may even take a flier on them!

jimsumner
03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
I think I posted this in another thread but there have been a number of years when the leading vote getter did not win POY.

Happened as recently as 2004, when Rashad McCants led in voting points but finished third behind Hodge and Duhon in the POY voting.

DukeUsul
03-09-2009, 05:31 PM

Whichever one K is coaching. :-)

JDev
03-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I think those teams are as accurate as you can get. You could make a case for Scheyer on HM, but who do you remove?
The only thing that jumps out at me as wrong is Lawson on the All-Defensive HM. His steal numbers are good, but that is not an accurate way to measure defense by itself, though it is often used. In some cases it might just mean you gamble a lot and are successful sometimes, but get beat all the other times. Lawson got torched by many opposing PG's this year, and some of the biggest individual games by ACC players this year came at the expense of Lawson (Vasquez triple-double, Rice 25 and 8, Teague 34, Douglas 32 to name a few).

jimsumner
03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
It might be useful for me to point out that there are no votes for honorable mention. You vote for first-team All-ACC (3 points), second-team (2 points), and third-team (1 point).

So, the people who get HM are those people who received votes for one of the first three teams, did not finish in the top 15, but still got enough points to warrant mention.

CDu
03-09-2009, 07:02 PM
I think the vote is pretty reasonable with the exception of the all-defensive honors. Seriously - Ty Lawson? That's a joke.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about the Scheyer "snub." The first nine players were simply a given to be where they were. One could make an argument for Delaney, Teague, or Vassallo ahead of Vazquez, but that's nitpicking. And Johnson did a lot for that Wake team. Green, Lawal, and Landesburg are solid picks as well. One might quibble with Ellington and Rivers, but that's getting nitpicky.

I think one of the problems for Scheyer is that there were a LOT of guards who had unbelievable seasons all year, while Scheyer slumped through a good portion of the ACC schedule. He caught fire the last week or two, but by then too much of the season had passed. I think the other issue is that perhaps people on this board are underestimating the seasons of some those other guys (Lawal in particular).