PDA

View Full Version : Olive Branch

Aziggazoomba
03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Well-played game. Very disciplined offense and solid game plan.

I wouldn't want to have to play you a third time, but we probably will have to.

I know you think the world and the media all hate Duke, but you have to admit that Clark Kellogg has a real jones for dark blue.

AluminumDuke
03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Well-played game. Very disciplined offense and solid game plan.

I wouldn't want to have to play you a third time, but we probably will have to.

I know you think the world and the media all hate Duke, but you have to admit that Clark Kellogg has a real jones for dark blue.

Thank you for the kind words.

I will admit that Clark Kellogg threw a few positive comments Duke's way, but these did little to offset the overall favoritism shown towards the lighter shade of blue throughout the broadcast.

By the way, did I hear something about Ty Lawson playing with an injured toe?

Aziggazoomba
03-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Funny, but I didn't note the light blue bias. Interesting, how that always seems to work.

I agree Lawson didn't look too hurt, but I also don't think he was 100%. Drew II got more minutes in the first half than he otherwise would (which scared me), and that had to be because of the injury. And he wasn't penetrating as much as he sometimes does.

CBDUKE
03-08-2009, 08:45 PM
You mean to tell me that Lawson usually plays more than 36 minutes? Because that is what he played today. I doubt Drew played more than usual.

allenmurray
03-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Funny, but I didn't note the light blue bias. Interesting, how that always seems to work.

I agree Lawson didn't look too hurt, but I also don't think he was 100%. Drew II got more minutes in the first half than he otherwise would (which scared me), and that had to be because of the injury. And he wasn't penetrating as much as he sometimes does.

I think the point was that the announcers mentioned the sprained toe about 76,439 times. You would have thought he was playing with a compound fracture of the ulna.

CBDUKE
03-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Just checked on Carolina's stats. Drew averages 10 minutes per game this year. Lawson averages 27. Sure Drew's toe wasn't hurt?

roywhite
03-08-2009, 09:09 PM
I think the point was that the announcers mentioned the sprained toe about 76,439 times. You would have thought he was playing with a compound fracture of the ulna.

Lawson's line for the day:
36 minutes played 13 points 8 rebounds 9 assists

(and a Purple Heart commendation).

Newton_14
03-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Funny how this works. And they have been pulling crap like this for 40 years..recall Kenny Smith scoring 41 points against Clemson back in the day, 2 days after supposed knee surgery...

unc comes into this came as the favorite, and Duke comes into this game as decidely short-handed with 1 key player (Nolan) out, 1 key player with the worse kind of ankle sprain (Lance, High Ankle Sprain), 1 key player (Scheyer), with a gimpy ankle, and a key reserve (Zoubek) with a broken nose.

Yet the unc sports media outlets (WRAL, CBS) spread a false rumor that Lawson has an injured toe. And sure enough, all that anyone in the media including the game announcers talk about is the "Key Injury" unc is facing with Lawson. A casual fan would have thought that unc was at some kind of major disadvantage and somehow overcame it against all odds to pull out a win behind a heroic effort from Lawson. What a crock! Lawson played 36 minutes and showed no sign whatsover of being injured.

So the "truth" gets totally spun around.

Great job Roy, ol Dean taught you well.

throatybeard
03-08-2009, 09:44 PM
There's a serious failure of logic in the "UNC fake injury" conspiracy theory. What, exactly, are they supposed to gain by exaggerating some kid's injury? Presumably, Mike Krzyzewski prepares our guys same for UNC irrespective of whether Ty Lawson plays or not. It's not like Jon Scheyer and Gerald Henderson walk out on the court, see Ty Lawson unexpectedly, and then soil their britches.

They may be doing it, but I don't see how it benefits them. So who cares?

wisteria
03-08-2009, 09:53 PM
no throaty, it doesn't benefit either team on the court. They knew it wasn't a big deal. K and our players knew it wasn't a big deal.

The only thing that's been toyed with is public perception.

Aziggazoomba
03-08-2009, 09:55 PM
There's a serious failure of logic in the "UNC fake injury" conspiracy theory. What, exactly, are they supposed to gain by exaggerating some kid's injury? Presumably, Mike Krzyzewski prepares our guys same for UNC irrespective of whether Ty Lawson plays or not. It's not like Jon Scheyer and Gerald Henderson walk out on the court, see Ty Lawson unexpectedly, and then soil their britches.

EXACTLY!

And, I revive the olive branch. Good game.

See you next weekend, I suspect.

Go Heels.

jipops
03-08-2009, 09:56 PM

Roy craves more positive media attention?... maybe... ya think? Duke's injuries got some attention the past few days and hasn't it been shown that public perception is a huge deal for a certain good 'ol boy. Yeah, it is meaningless, but sure is some fun fodder.

Duvall
03-08-2009, 09:56 PM

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Tournaments/2006/US_Open/2006_08_24_agassi_4.jpg

Image is everything.

Regardless of whether it makes sense, they keep doing it. It is what it is.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-08-2009, 10:04 PM
See you next weekend, I suspect.

I'm looking forward to it! Go Duke!

zingit
03-08-2009, 10:05 PM
In the post game interview (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/4693591/), Coach K said something like, "Everyone gets banged up a little bit. I don't know what his injury was but . . .[long pause] . . . I would have been very shocked if he didn't play." I almost wonder if he was trying to bite his tongue and not say something sarcastic there. It sounds like he didn't buy into the Lawson-might-not-play hype at all. In any case, the simplest explanation is usually the most plausible: Lawson had a small injury, Carolina was being cautious and keeping any information on it close to the vest, and decided he was OK. I don't know what evidence there was of a malicious intent. I think the media could have been more even-handed in emphasizing that we were short-handed just as much or more so than UNC, but that's life.

tendev
03-08-2009, 10:08 PM
But why should we care what the media or Carolina says. It simply has no impact on the game. In any event, no reasonable person would think that Lawson was not 100% given his numbers and minutes. What, he would have had a triple double if he was 100%? And we would have lost by 11 instead of 8.

OldSchool
03-08-2009, 10:09 PM
What, exactly, are they supposed to gain by exaggerating some kid's injury?

It's not difficult to understand.

If they lose and Lawson doesn't play especially well, Tar Heel nation has an excuse, and can blame the loss on Lawson's injury, much as was done last year.

If they win, then all the more "glory" to Lawson for his supposed "Willis Reed" moment.

Aziggazoomba
03-08-2009, 10:12 PM
To be fair, you have to admit that Coack K and the Duke machine are not exactly above playing the image/spin/manipulate the media game.

I (naturally) don't think Roy did anything here an iota of malice or ill intent, but if he were trying to spin things or whatever, can you honestly say that Duke's program hasn't from time to time done that much, or more?

Let's all just admit it happens.

It has zero to do with the game or the integrity and quality of the teams or programs or the schools (as to the latter of which I 'm sure you're thinking, yeah, there's plenty of other factors that affect the relative quality of the schools, and that's a whole 'other argument).

throatybeard
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
It's not difficult to understand.

If they lose and Lawson doesn't play especially well, Tar Heel nation has an excuse, and can blame the loss on Lawson's injury, much as was done last year.

If they win, then all the more "glory" to Lawson for his supposed "Willis Reed" moment.

That's just a lot of BS between fans. It has nothing to do with the performance of the coaches or players. So what you're arguing is that Roy Williams and their SID are engaged in some stupid expectation manipulation with fans. I suspect hey have more important stuff on their hands.

rthomas
03-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Where's Oliver Stone when we need him. He could make the movie!

OldSchool
03-08-2009, 10:16 PM
So what you're arguing is that Roy Williams and their SID are engaged in some stupid expectation manipulation with fans. I suspect hey have more important stuff on their hands.

Coaches trying to manage expectations is as common as running a weave drill.

rthomas
03-08-2009, 10:18 PM
The thread is bizarre. It needs to go away. And Dukies should just look forward. This is stupid.

jipops
03-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I (naturally) don't think Roy did anything here an iota of malice or ill intent, but if he were trying to spin things or whatever, can you honestly say that Duke's program hasn't from time to time done that much, or more?

Since you're going there, can you cite an example?

AluminumDuke
03-08-2009, 10:42 PM
The thread is bizarre. It needs to go away. And Dukies should just look forward. This is stupid.

I personally apologize for having sent this thread off on this tangent. Aziggazoomba offered the olive branch and made some positive comments about our team's performance, which I appreciated. Likewise, UNC played a solid game, hit some tough shots when they needed to, and handled the emotional strain of their "Senior Day" well.

My mention of the Lawson toe injury was only in response to Aziggazoomba's comment implying that Clark Kellogg was showing favoritism towards Duke. I was not trying to spark any type of conspiracy theory with regard to the reporting of Lawson's injury, I just thought it was rather annoying how many times the commentators made mention of it (especially in light of other injuries which were given little or no mention).