PDA

View Full Version : More Dominant: JJ Redick or Tyler Hansbrough?

dukeballer2294
03-08-2009, 07:21 PM
With Hansbrough coming up on the scoring record I thought I'd put this out there. This is just to see in peoples honest opinion whos more dominant, who can take over a game or win it in the final minutes.Please I dislike Hansbrough as much as the next but try not to be biased. Take into consideration;defense,freethrows,points,helping team win,getting players better shots. So... who do you guys think?

geraldsneighbor
03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
So much of what Tyler does is dependent on the officials. I think JJ was the more dominant player. He shot at such a high percentage and was able to shoot free throws like none other. I think Tyler benefits from officials turning a blind eye to his traveling and any off balance shot he takes looks so awkward officials believe its a foul.

weezie
03-08-2009, 07:36 PM
JJ was usually able to stop time. There has never been anything like the sound of an entire crowd inhaling as he released one of those beautiful threes.

JJ was a marvel. TBangs is a lucky guy who is a year older than anybody in his class, has a nice shot(when uncontested,) and has a big enough keister to box out with his backside alone. Granted, he's got the one handed short floater, but at his size and weight, he should, and for that he has had plenty of recognition.
Oh, nearly forgot, he sure works hard!;)

wolfpackdevil
03-08-2009, 07:55 PM
With Hansbrough coming up on the scoring record I thought I'd put this out there. This is just to see in peoples honest opinion whos more dominant, who can take over a game or win it in the final minutes.Please I dislike Hansbrough as much as the next but try not to be biased. Take into consideration;defense,freethrows,points,helping team win,getting players better shots. So... who do you guys think?

If JJ couldn't shoot 3's, he would be a nobody in Duke basketball history.

hansborough can shoot, (as we saw today,) rebound, post up and make free throws.

he is the most well-rounded big men in college basketball today, no doubt

dukeman28428
03-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Where do you get Tyler is the best big man? Where is he projected in the draft? He will not be a dominant NBA player. He will get hammered when he "jumps" into the opposition like he has done the last 4 years. He did hit a couple of threes today but that does not make him a shooter. Glad he is almost off my radar as he is the biggest whiner I have ever seen. :cool:

captmojo
03-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Because it's center v guard, I can't see a valid comparison. Apples and oranges.

FireOgilvie
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM

hansborough can shoot, (as we saw today,) rebound, post up and make free throws.

...but he could shoot 3s. JJ can shoot free throws, too... better than anyone. Also, Hansbrough is not "well-rounded." He has had one game in his career where he made 2 3-pointers (today). He's a good, but not great rebounder. He might be the worst shot-blocking "big man" in the history of the NCAA per minute... he has 12 on the year... the same number as Plumlee, and 44 fewer than Ed Davis, who plays 11 fewer minutes a game! Hansbrough is just as "well-rounded" as JJ was and JJ averaged almost 27 points a game as a senior.

Ben63
03-08-2009, 08:25 PM
The 3 point shot is the biggest shot in the game of basketball and JJ excecuted it better than anyone. Ever.

DUKIE V(A)
03-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I would say Tyler had the more consistency throughout his career -- though if JJ were a year and a half older his freshman season...that would not likely be the case.

IMO JJ was more dominant in his final two seasons than Psycho T. He was the consensus National Player of the Year after his Junior and Senior seasons (Psycho T will not match this), and averaged a shade under 27 points per game his senior year.

Saying JJ without his shot would be nothing in Duke history is not fair. How much of his shooting do you want to take away? Take anyone's best skill/asset away and they would not be as good. Take away Magic's court vision, Bird's shot, Shaq's size, Kareem's hook, Jordan's explosiveness, etc... BTW, if you only make JJ a little less better shooter, I would argue JJ would still have been quite a player at Duke.

Duvall
03-08-2009, 08:47 PM

Er, no. His defense is crap.

Rudy
03-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't call either one of them dominant. JJ was more valuable to his team because Hans has a little bit better supporting cast. A big strong guy can survive and do adequately well when the refs swallow their whistles but a guard can't score if he's hacked every possession and doesn't get to the line as we saw in JJ's last tournament game.

wolfpackdevil
03-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Er, no. His defense is crap.

Like JJ played great defense???

Duvall
03-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Like JJ played great defense???

He wouldn't have to be great to be better than Hansbrough. But I was actually responding to the idea that Hansbrough is the most dominant big man in the country, which simply isn't true this year, or any other year.

JDev
03-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Hansbrough is not the best big guy in the country. Blake Griffin is loads better, and I think Dejuan Blair is better. I also think an argument can be made for a few others as well.
As far as the argument, I will go with J.J., for no other reason than making a contested 24' shot is always more impressive than a free throw.

RelativeWays
03-08-2009, 09:25 PM
JJ meant more to his Duke team as a Senior than Beaker does to the sheep. When the gas ran out of JJ's tank, Duke was finished in 06. If Tyler were to really struggle, he has plenty of solid supporters in Lawson, Green, Wayne, Davis, Thompson. The 06 team needed Deng or someone like Henderson badly, and we had nothing outside of Shel's solid inside play to fall back on.

throatybeard
03-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I voted for TH. A 24-footer is impressive, but the question is about dominance, and given adequate (Q Thomas) or great guards (Lawson) to feed a big man, a big man is usually more dominant than a guard. Unless you're freaking MJ. Despite the way the 3 has distorted the game, higher percentage shots are to be found around the hoop.

JJ took over games his senior year. Not many before that. (Yes, 2003 ACCCG comes to mind). TH has been taking over games for four years.

Lord Ash
03-08-2009, 09:46 PM
JJ, partially because he simply HAD to be and didn't have Lawson, Green, Ellington, and a cast of others to pick up needed slack, and partially because he was simply dominant. JJ broke so many teams backs over the years it was ridiculous, and it was often singlehandedly. While Tyler is fantastic, his teammates still score 70 or so points a game... I feel like he just can't be considered as dominant.

Still, both guys are fantastic.

dukeballer2294
03-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Imo, I would take JJ. TH gets so many calls his way and thats the reason he holds the free throw record along with averaging 21 as he is this year. I remember fondly when JJ and #1Duke plyed #2Texas and he went off for 40, he also did that a few other times during the coure of his career;). Imo i dont remember hearing TH go off during his senior year or any other year that often.

The1Bluedevil
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Hansbrough is not the best big guy in the country. Blake Griffin is loads better, and I think Dejuan Blair is better. I also think an argument can be made for a few others as well.
As far as the argument, I will go with J.J., for no other reason than making a contested 24' shot is always more impressive than a free throw.

Cole Aldrich
Jordan Hill

JDev
03-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Cole Aldrich
Jordan Hill

In addition to that, Luke Harangody, and in the ACC Trevor Booker is pretty darn good. Patrick Patterson is averaging 18 and 9. An argument could be made for any of those guys, whether you agree with it or not.

jipops
03-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Tyler provides a better argument for this discussion. If UNC lands in another final four this year, this discussion is definitely over.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Tyler

Lord Ash
03-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Tyler provides a better argument for this discussion. If UNC lands in another final four this year, this discussion is definitely over.

Hm. See, if Tyler didn't have Lawson breaking down any D he sees and setting him up, and Ellington and Green raining 3s, and Frasor hitting 3s, and Davis and Thompson rebounding and scoring and blocking down low, I would be more apt to call him "dominant." Dominant, to me, makes me think (rightly or wrongly) of "winning on your own." JJ had Shel, but otherwise those teams were very, very fragile. And JJ went off for 30 points pretty frequently, I think... and more, even, against some.

Also, I am not sure dominant has anything to do with a team making a Final Four. You could have a guy who scores 40 a game along with 8 assists and 8 rebounds, but if the rest of his team is only average, he might not win a ton... so the Final Four doesn't mean much to me, unless Tyler pulls a Sean May in the final part of the season and goes for 25 and 25 every game.

While I think Tyler is an amazing, amazing player, I feel like to call a guy dominant is very, very difficult when he is on an absolutely stacked team featuring maybe 6 future NBA players. And after watching JJ just light up team after team after team, and after watching him do that while having the entire opposing defense focus on him, just lends itself to more of the "dominant" label.

superdave
03-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Redick got better every year. Hasnborough stalled out this year and maybe even declined.

Both went to a Final Four but were tournament disappointments.

Both really good college players with plenty of brilliant performances mixed in. I would not say either would start on either school's all-time team though.

DukeBlood
03-09-2009, 12:32 AM

Who is/was more dominant? Tyler. As you said, JJ was a shooter, and thats it. Sure Tyler benifits from the ref's(as did JJ), Hans can do alot more.

Is he the most well rounded big man in college basketball? No. Not even close. Luke Harangody is more well rounded. There are others, but I think Mr. Harangody shall suffice.

dukeballer2294
03-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Redick got better every year. Hasnborough stalled out this year and maybe even declined.

Both went to a Final Four but were tournament disappointments.

Both really good college players with plenty of brilliant performances mixed in. I would not say either would start on either school's all-time team though.

Your saying you could name 5 better players to start on both teams based on just college careers? Thats pretty remarkable/impossible.

brevity
03-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Redick vs. Hansbrough? Such a nebulous comparison. Maybe not apples to oranges, as both are able to put points on the board. More like sweet Red Delicious apples to sour Granny Smith apples.

I didn't vote because the question implies some direct correlation between scoring and dominance. The ACC scoring record is not a very good measure of that, from a historical perspective. (Though Dickie Hemric had some impressive stats.)

Even for those select few that would put either on all-time Duke or UNC teams, there's no great movement for them to ascend to the conference pantheon. They're 4-year college players who were divisive in the best way: beloved by their fans, hated by the opposition.

Matches
03-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Hansbrough is not even the best player on his own team. That would be Ty Lawson. Hansbrough's had an amazing career, of course, but he has never dominated the way JJ did.

bjornolf
03-09-2009, 09:30 AM
In this argument about JJ v. Hansbrough, I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that Hansbrough benefited from the fact that he led UNC in points and rebounds all four years at UNC, as one of the announcers mentioned last night. The announcer then pointed out that Tyler was the only player in the history of the ACC to do that (of course he worded it badly, as only UNC players could lead UNC all four years, but we get the point). In his freshman year, the only other big man on the roster was Byron Sanders, who averaged 12 minutes 2.5 points and almost 1 turnover a game. It helped his totals a lot that he was pretty much their inside presence that year. Not many freshman big men get to do that. He scored almost 600 points his freshman year, 100 more than JJ his freshman year. Assuming that Carolina goes deep in both tourneys, he's still probably not going to score many more than he did his freshman year, as he's thirty points behind his freshman total this year. And they lost in the second round of BOTH tourneys his freshman year, so he didn't play as many games. According to ESPN, he didn't play in four or five games at the beginning of the season his freshman year, so he's already played as many games this year as he did all season his freshman year. He's had a great career, don't get me wrong, but he benefited from inflated freshman numbers thanks to Carolina's lack of inside presence that year. His best year was his junior year, when he scored almost 900. He's dropped off a lot this year, I'm sure because the rest of the team has gotten better.

JJ went: 495 589 721 964
TH went: 587 699 882 549(so far)

Bostondevil
03-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I voted for TH. A 24-footer is impressive, but the question is about dominance, and given adequate (Q Thomas) or great guards (Lawson) to feed a big man, a big man is usually more dominant than a guard. Unless you're freaking MJ. Despite the way the 3 has distorted the game, higher percentage shots are to be found around the hoop.

JJ took over games his senior year. Not many before that. (Yes, 2003 ACCCG comes to mind). TH has been taking over games for four years.

Whereas Tyler has taken his senior year off, at least as far as taking over games is concerned.

I'm kidding on the square here. I don't watch every Tarheel game. But I have yet to see him take over a game this year. I have seen that he has perfected his flopping skills. That will serve him well at the next level, I'm sure.

CMS2478
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I think it's safe to say that both had amazing college careers and neither will have amazing NBA careers. I do think that Griffin and Blair are much better than Hansflop. :p

UrinalCake
03-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I would say JJ because every team we played knew that the one primary focal point of their defense, above all else, was to prevent JJ from hitting threes. They would rather give someone else a dunk than give JJ an open three. Yet time and time again he hit them and there was little the defense could do.

In the case of Hansborough, I would argue that their offense actually runs through Lawson. While Tyler garners a lof of attention and often is double teamed, the way to stop Carolina is to stop Lawson's penetration. Part of this is simply the nature of being a center versus being a guard... but nevertheless if the game is on the line and we're down by one, I'd rather be giving the ball to JJ than relying on getting it to Hans.

NSDukeFan
03-09-2009, 02:09 PM
He wouldn't have to be great to be better than Hansbrough. But I was actually responding to the idea that Hansbrough is the most dominant big man in the country, which simply isn't true this year, or any other year.

It certainly was last year.

I had to pick TH as I would compare his junior year to JJ's senior year as both were dominant, and pick TH over the balance of their careers.
I also think Tyler will be a good pro, (double figure scoring, 7-8 boards) though not a great one. He's a pretty good player. I've also heard somewhere that he works really hard.;)

Duvall
03-09-2009, 02:15 PM

Hansbrough was in no sense better than Kevin Love or Michael Beasley last year. He had the luxury of having better teammates than Beasley and getting more shots than Love, but he wasn't a more dominant player.

FireOgilvie
03-09-2009, 02:37 PM

I had to pick TH as I would compare his junior year to JJ's senior year as both were dominant, and pick TH over the balance of their careers.
I also think Tyler will be a good pro, (double figure scoring, 7-8 boards) though not a great one. He's a pretty good player. I've also heard somewhere that he works really hard.;)

No way that Hansbrough averages double figure scoring and 7-8 boards a game in the NBA... he'd have to start for that to happen. UNC plays at a fast pace and he barely averages 8 rebounds. With his current skill set, Hansbrough is a very undersized NBA PF with short arms. He isn't a great rebounder and has an average mid-range game. He can't defend anyone in the NBA. He can't block shots. He's not a great passer. He needs to seriously develop his mid/long-range shooting to have ANY kind of chance in the NBA. Hard work only does so much for you when you're not "built" for the league... just ask JJ. Sad, but true.

Wander
03-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Hansbrough had the better college career over four years. JJ had the better senior year. It's that simple.

rsvman
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
1) If JJ couldn't shoot 3's, he would be a nobody in Duke basketball history.

2) [Tyler Hansbrough] is the most well-rounded big men in college basketball today, no doubt
Scratching my head trying to decide which of these two statements is stupider. They're both mind-numbingly dumb.

I guess I'll have to call it a tie.

NSDukeFan
03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Hansbrough was in no sense better than Kevin Love or Michael Beasley last year. He had the luxury of having better teammates than Beasley and getting more shots than Love, but he wasn't a more dominant player.

I think he was more dominant than Love last year, and see him as a similar player in the pros, not as good a shooter or passer, but hard-nosed interior player with not as much upside. I can see Kevin Love being a 13-15 ppg, 9-10 rpg guy and think TH can be just below that, if he finds the right fit.
I would have to agree that Beasley was more dominant last year, though I don't disagree with Psycho getting player of the year.

northernduke
03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Your saying you could name 5 better players to start on both teams based on just college careers? Thats pretty remarkable/impossible.

C - Laettner
PF - Brand
SF - Hill OR Battier
PG / SG - Dawkins, Hurley OR Williams

Not a very difficult task. Redick was a phenominal talent, but the versatility of these players and natural athleticism can let them take over a game when they're having an off night (i.e. Maryland 60 seconds style...)

Redick was a great (and unrecognized) defender b/c he was smart, put himself in the "right" position and had incredible endurance. I think he was the most exciting player I have ever seen dawn the uniform...when he was feeling his stroke. Hitting a 3 from 25 or 27 feet will quiet the away team's crowd and ignite the home team's.

However, I have the most confidence with anyone of these 5 guys on the court to win any one game we could

superdave
03-09-2009, 07:23 PM
C - Laettner
PF - Brand
SF - Hill OR Battier
PG / SG - Dawkins, Hurley OR Williams

Also add, S. Williams, Boozer, Alarie, Gminski.

As for UNC's all-time team, Id go:
F - Jamison, Worthy, Jordan, S. May
C - Perkins, Daughtery, Montross
G - Ford, K. Smith, McCants, Felton

So yeah, ol' Hansborough might not even sniff the floor. Who would you bench to put him on the court - Big Game James or Jamison? I'd say Hansborough is about the 12th-13th best unc player ever. He just benefited from not having to wait his turn as fresh/soph and being really good for 4 years. But I'd argue really good as opposed to great.

As for Redick's place in Duke history, well, he never won a title and went to his only FF as the third best player on that team behind Deng and Duhon. He's likely 10th-12th best player in Duke history.

Super "The oldest guys on this list are Gminski and Ford because I'm not that old..." Dave

brevity
03-09-2009, 08:28 PM

So yeah, ol' Hansborough might not even sniff the floor. Who would you bench to put him on the court - Big Game James or Jamison? I'd say Hansborough is about the 12th-13th best unc player ever. He just benefited from not having to wait his turn as fresh/soph and being really good for 4 years. But I'd argue really good as opposed to great.

I hesitated about responding to the challenge earlier in the thread about leaving Redick and Hansbrough off their all-time school squads. I think it's easy to leave Redick off, due to the glut of Duke's great backcourt players. But leaving off Hansbrough is a harder sell, in light of UNC history at the F/C position.

It can be done (Phil Ford, Michael Jordan, Antawn Jamison, James Worthy, and Brad Daugherty, for example), but Hansbrough is definitely in the conversation, based on performance more than talent. I'd put him ahead of Sean May and Eric Montross in a career-long context. You could make a decent argument that he or Sam Perkins (who are the same height) infiltrate the above first team list.

P.S. A quick look at the numbers suggests that Lennie Rosenbluth would probably get the nod over Antawn Jamison.

superdave
03-09-2009, 09:12 PM
May won a title - MOP of the FF. He carried those guys in huge games whereas Hansborough's teams have flopped famously. Montross also won a title but yeah not as good as the current mouth breather.

No way Hansborough gets off the bench at the 4 or 5 though with Worthy, Perkins, May and Daughtery all better players.

superdave
03-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Not familiar with Rosenbluth. I guess he's one of those guys who probably averaged 24 pts, 22 rebs or something like that. So yet another guy Hansborough sits behind.

In these conversations, I always weight NCAA tourney success above all else. Hence the biggest chinks in Hansborough and Redick's armor.

Indoor66
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Not familiar with Rosenbluth. I guess he's one of those guys who probably averaged 24 pts, 22 rebs or something like that. So yet another guy Hansborough sits behind.

In these conversations, I always weight NCAA tourney success above all else. Hence the biggest chinks in Hansborough and Redick's armor.

How about throwing Bobby Jones into the mix. He was a pretty fair baller. Also Walter Davis played some pretty good minutes as well.

RelativeWays
03-09-2009, 10:21 PM
I'd take Eric Montross over Beaker any day of the week. He was far more of a true center, played good defence and took a good thwacking so stoically he would barely flinch (though Beaker takes his abuse too, especially this year) Besides, Eric seems like a genuinely nice guy and not a putz.

UrinalCake
03-09-2009, 11:52 PM
A little off topic here, regarding Hansbrough's pro potential... a lot of people doubted that Battier would make an effective pro too, since he lacked athleticism and size and presumably wouldn't "get all the calls" like he did in college. Now I am not saying that they are the same player; Battier is a superior defender, can shoot from the outside, and has a mind like no one else... but Hansbrough also seems to have some immeasurable qualities that could carry over to the next level. We'll have to wait and see.

dukeballer2294
03-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Also add, S. Williams, Boozer, Alarie, Gminski.

As for Redick's place in Duke history, well, he never won a title and went to his only FF as the third best player on that team behind Deng and Duhon. He's likely 10th-12th best player in Duke history.

Super "The oldest guys on this list are Gminski and Ford because I'm not that old..." Dave

Im not talking about who won more championships, im talking 5 more dominant players. I guess when you have 2 historic programs its easy to do that but at least for Duke id have

C-Laetner (spelling)
Pf-Brand/Boozer
Sf-Battier
Sg-Redick
Pg-WIlliams

Im not sure if I put redick over Dawkins because i am a younger Duke fan and I never saw him play and when I look at stats(yes i know they dont tell the whole story) he comes infront in most categoires (yes I also know heplayed longer but I am saying dominant at Duke). Also again since I am a younger fan Ididnt see Carolina pre 2000 id say based on their careers at Carolina itd be hard to not play hansbrough. Jamison/Carter/etc were good and were will be better pros but in a college standpoint id still have to go with TH

Edouble
03-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Im not talking about who won more championships, im talking 5 more dominant players. I guess when you have 2 historic programs its easy to do that but at least for Duke id have

C-Laetner (spelling)
Pf-Brand/Boozer
Sf-Battier
Sg-Redick
Pg-WIlliams

Im not sure if I put redick over Dawkins because i am a younger Duke fan and I never saw him play and when I look at stats(yes i know they dont tell the whole story) he comes infront in most categoires (yes I also know heplayed longer but I am saying dominant at Duke). Also again since I am a younger fan Ididnt see Carolina pre 2000 id say based on their careers at Carolina itd be hard to not play hansbrough. Jamison/Carter/etc were good and were will be better pros but in a college standpoint id still have to go with TH

Good team, but I'd have to move Battier to his college position at PF, and slide Grant Hill into the SF spot. Other than that, those are probably the 5 most dominant Duke players that I've seen play.

RelativeWays
03-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Good team, but I'd have to move Battier to his college position at PF, and slide Grant Hill into the SF spot. Other than that, those are probably the 5 most dominant Duke players that I've seen play.
I'd take out Redick and move J to SG. Bobby Hurley is the greatest Duke PG ever, thats not up for debate, no way he doesn't make our best ever team.

dukelifer
03-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Hansbrough was an excellent college player- but I would never go out of my way to watch him play- and that is not because he is a UNC player. I would of gone out of my way to watch Jordan or Jamison and probably even Forte (who was a bit of strange kid- but still had a great skill set). But Hansbrough, no. He has been great for his team and made the most of his abilities- but there is nothing he does as a basketball player that dazzles. On the other hand, I think a number of ACC fans would stop to watch Redick for sure. His shooting and ability to get on a streak was at another level. While Hansbrough and Redick pale in comparison to multiple ACC POY's like Thompson, Sampson, Bias, and Ferry and Duncan- Redick was much more enjoyable to watch.

ClosetHurleyFan
03-10-2009, 10:11 AM
I'd take Eric Montross over Beaker any day of the week. He was far more of a true center, played good defence and took a good thwacking so stoically he would barely flinch (though Beaker takes his abuse too, especially this year) Besides, Eric seems like a genuinely nice guy and not a putz.

This is not intended to be personal, but you have got to be kidding me. I loved Montross, but he way under performed his senior year. never averaged more than 7.5 boards a game despite being 7 foot, 275 pounds and had a much more limited way to score around the basket.

And I have never seen anything to warrant Hansborough being a putz. Remember what he did getting on the bus going to the NCAAs after getting his nose broken when everyone was making a stink about it? He wore a red clown nose to make a total joke out of it.......

ClosetHurleyFan
03-10-2009, 10:13 AM
I'd take out Redick and move J to SG. Bobby Hurley is the greatest Duke PG ever, thats not up for debate, no way he doesn't make our best ever team.

As my name implies, I totally agree! Hurley was awesome. It would be like leaving Corchiani off State's all time team. But god I hated Laettner! :)

ClosetHurleyFan
03-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Hansbrough was an excellent college player- but I would never go out of my way to watch him play- and that is not because he is a UNC player. I would of gone out of my way to watch Jordan or Jamison and probably even Forte (who was a bit of strange kid- but still had a great skill set). But Hansbrough, no. He has been great for his team and made the most of his abilities- but there is nothing he does as a basketball player that dazzles. On the other hand, I think a number of ACC fans would stop to watch Redick for sure. His shooting and ability to get on a streak was at another level. While Hansbrough and Redick pale in comparison to multiple ACC POY's like Thompson, Sampson, Bias, and Ferry and Duncan- Redick was much more enjoyable to watch.

DukeLifer, as much as I admire and appreciate the heart and soul Hansborough has invested, I totally agree with you. I would put Jamison before him. No he didnt have exactly the same motor, but Jamison was pretty much unguardable in the post, his release was too quick and if he missed, he was like a pogo stick going back up for Offensive rebounds and on top of that he ran the break like a gazelle...we are talking about the national player of the year in a year when it was pretty much never in doubt as to who should win it. Jamison also averaged 10 boards a game all three years. I mean he was a 15/10 guy as a freshman. Thats incredible. The fast break that Cota use to orchestrate with Jamison and Carter, is the most entertaining thing in the history of Carolina basketball in my opinion, although my former college roomate and teamate of Stackhouse/Wallace swears to me that the going to practice and watching McInnis throw passes to the aforementioned two topped even the Jamison/Carter/Cota show.

Double DD
03-10-2009, 11:41 AM
IMO JJ was more dominant in his final two seasons than Psycho T. He was the consensus National Player of the Year after his Junior and Senior seasons (Psycho T will not match this), and averaged a shade under 27 points per game his senior year.

Sorry to nitpick, but that's not really true. Andrew Bogut was the consensus Player of the Year when Redick was a junior. Redick just won the Rupp Award that year.