PDA

View Full Version : Outside the Lines Report - Nolan Smith

DukieBoy
03-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Only caught it from about the middle on, but the report talked about Nolan losing his father, then the Washington Bullets embracing him. Then it talked about his decision to stay here this year instead of following "Uncle Johnny" to Stanford. It was a really great piece and very touching.

SupaDave
03-08-2009, 12:59 PM
ESPN aired a real nice piece with Nolan this morning about him, his father, and his life. Quite nice and great to see him getting some exposure.

Devilsfan
03-08-2009, 01:06 PM
What a great story. It makes me appreciate Nolan even more. I'm glad he's at Duke and hope he's able to get back on the court real soon. Get well Nolan.

houstondukie
03-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Something tells me that Nolan is going to have a breakout season next year.

Henderson made a huge jump this year from his sophomore to junior season, and I expect Nolan, who works extremely hard during the summer, to show a similar improvement.

BulldogDancer81
03-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Something tells me that Nolan is going to have a breakout season next year.

Henderson made a huge jump this year from his sophomore to junior season, and I expect Nolan, who works extremely hard during the summer, to show a similar improvement.

houstondukie I agree completely. I think Nolan is going to be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Ben63
03-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Is there a link to this video? I checked the espn.com OTL page and it has a little blurb about it but no link to a video. Has it just not been posted yet or am I not looking hard enough? Thanks.

DukieBoy
03-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Is there a link to this video? I checked the espn.com OTL page and it has a little blurb about it but no link to a video. Has it just not been posted yet or am I not looking hard enough? Thanks.

Usually takes a couple days for them to post a new video onto the website. Keep checking espn.com.

chrisheery
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Airs again at 2pm Monday 3/9/09 if you want to set your DVR.

msdukie
03-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Here it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/clip?id=3962188&categoryid=null

FireOgilvie
03-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Here it is:

Really emotional. Great piece. Everyone should watch this.

chi
03-09-2009, 02:29 AM
Here it is:

Thanks for posting it msdukie. It was a great clip. "you never know when the last game is gonna be ..."

NashvilleDevil
03-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Here is the Outside the Lines piece on Nolan Smith.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=nolan

BlueintheFace
03-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Wow.... amazing story

moonpie23
03-09-2009, 01:50 PM
great story......lotta good folks in this kid's life...

which goes to say....there's a lot more to going to duke than just the accolades of a basketball star..

CallUsPaulus
03-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Just finished. Fantastic article. Let's hope he's back for the ACC.

BlueDevilJay
03-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm in tears after reading that....wow. What a great kid.

FireOgilvie
03-09-2009, 03:17 PM
It's the main story now on ESPN.com. Nice.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I cried.

dukestheheat
03-09-2009, 05:38 PM
When Nolan says he goes back to his dorm room and cries, that strikes a familiar memory; I, too, lost my dad when I was pretty young and I know that road he's on.

And, I've really missed him on the court lately. As the UNofficial and totally UNrecognized President of the DBR NOLAN SMITH fan club, I can say:

GET BACK SOON NOLAN, WE LOVE YOU AND WE NEED YOU ACTIVE ON THE TEAM!

Let's do this.

dukestheheat.

bossesjoe
03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5629/both2.jpg

DukieBoy
03-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Awesome picture....very cool

Indoor66
03-09-2009, 07:02 PM

Wonderful picture. I hope you send it to Nolan. I am sure it would be appreciated.

RelativeWays
03-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I saw the piece today about 3 at the gym, very emotional. Losing your father at such a young age is terrible. For me, its scary seeing that Derek Smith died at 34, the same age as me with a freak heart attack.
I've always wanted Nolan to succeed despite some setbacks this year, but you know he has the talent and ability. Now I can't see anyone not pulling for the kid to not be just one of the best Duke players he can be, but the best person he can be.

chi
03-10-2009, 02:01 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/eticket/20090309/photos/etick_nolansmith04_850.jpg

This looks a little like Johnny D, don't you think?

Devil07
03-10-2009, 11:19 AM
I too got very emotional reading this piece. It's just hard not to root for Nolan and after some of the adversity he's had this season alone, I hope that he bounces back with a vengeance.

Another interesting part of the article though is in the comments. I scrolled through them and I can't tell you how many people wrote something that basically said, "I hate duke, but I'll root for Nolan Smith." After years of stories about how we're the most "hated" team in America, it really is refreshing to see a national piece that shows the human side to our players. There are some great people associated with this program and I for one am happy that some of the Duke-Hating world finally gets a chance to see that.

SupaDave
03-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Helps to understand why Juwan Howard was at the game on Sunday...

fisheyes
03-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Wow. My new favorite number is 2.

Chard
03-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I just finished. I had to stop reading a couple of times to fight back the tears. Nolan didn't have his dad around for long but during the time he did his father packed a lifetime of fathering into it. Derek sounds like he was a great man. I hope Nolan understands that Derek is there, every time.

BulldogDancer81
03-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Wow. So I had seen the piece on Sportscenter Sunday but just got around to reading the OTL article. Simply amazing story. I definitely shed a few tears.

Magnolia888
03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Wonderful story. Nolan was very lucky to have such a great dad. It's terribly sad that he only had him for 8 years. :(

I do like all the comments saying "even if I still hate Duke, I have to like Nolan after reading this."

Get better, Nolan. We need you!

Newton_14
03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Very moving and touching story. Sign me up a lifetime membership in the Nolan Smith fan club. He has faced so much in his young life, and that has prepared him for just about anything the future brings.

Let's hope he can return to health and become a force on the court. No one deserves success more than Nolan.

So Nolan, Dude we love you, and we all are pulling for you!

Go to work!

bluebuck
03-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Class Act - Derek

I have always liked the way Nolan Smith plays, the heart that he shows when he goes out there and the passion he plays with.

Reading this article made me love him even more. The support system that he has is unbelievable, he will do amazing things with the memory of his father always in his heart.

Go to work!

arydolphin
03-22-2009, 06:27 PM

This is a must-read. It talks a lot about how Derek Smith, Nolan's father, and the influence he still has on Nolan even though he tragically passed away when Nolan was 8 years old. It's a wonderfully in-depth story, and is deeply emotional as well.

roywhite
03-22-2009, 06:40 PM

This is a must-read. It talks a lot about how Derek Smith, Nolan's father, and the influence he still has on Nolan even though he tragically passed away when Nolan was 8 years old. It's a wonderfully in-depth story, and is deeply emotional as well.

Great story. Coach K made reference to this in his press conference after the game, as he talked about Nolan's contributions.

banneheim
03-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Great article!!!

dukelifer
03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
It is easy to forget that these players have issues outside of basketball that weigh on them every day and affect how they play on the court. Also when they go through a bad stretch- who do they talk to- who helps get them focused again. We think it is just the coaches- but the parents play a very big role as well. For Nolan- the person he needs for basketball is no longer there in his life- his father. Nolan had his sophomore slump and then the concussion. Many on this board wondered if he had what it took to play at this level. The young man pulled himself out and is playing with the fire again. Nolan is dealing with a lot and has been for a long time. His recent play has been critical in the last week and has given the team a huge lift. Lets never forget that these are young men who are still developing in all areas on their lives. When things are going bad- sometimes there is much more going on than we know.

davekay1971
03-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Great, moving stuff. Nolan deserves all the admiration and respect he gets. We're lucky to have him at Duke.

NYC Duke Fan
03-22-2009, 07:50 PM
When Nolan says he goes back to his dorm room and cries, that strikes a familiar memory; I, too, lost my dad when I was pretty young and I know that road he's on.

And, I've really missed him on the court lately. As the UNofficial and totally UNrecognized President of the DBR NOLAN SMITH fan club, I can say:

GET BACK SOON NOLAN, WE LOVE YOU AND WE NEED YOU ACTIVE ON THE TEAM!

Let's do this.

dukestheheat.

Tremendous piece !!! Did I miss something, " Get Back Nolan "..Is he hurt ?

roywhite
03-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Tremendous piece !!! Did I miss something, " Get Back Nolan "..Is he hurt ?

That particular post was made March 9, before the start of the ACC Tournament.

Nolan has come back and he's playing great! Go, Nolan.

Lavabe
03-22-2009, 10:09 PM
What a fine young man.

I was also moved by his dad's fellow teammates who clearly made a difference in Nolan's life.

Got to love the clips of his dad and him at the end.:)

RainingThrees
03-22-2009, 10:11 PM
It seems that after this piece was written Nolan has really stepped up his play. Go to Work Nolan!!!

Grey Devil
03-23-2009, 03:11 AM
It seems that after this piece was written Nolan has really stepped up his play. Go to Work Nolan!!!

....in the press conference after the Texas game. He said that he thought Nolan was playing better after the article came out -- gave him a chance to get it all out in the open and took a weight off of him. (Not K's exact words but that's my memory of it.)

Grey Devil

weezie
03-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Thank you for choosing Duke, Nolan! We're proud of you and hope you are happy to have us cheering!