PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Maryland 92, Duke 89 OT (ACC Championship)

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2009, 10:13 AM
For her second straight year, McCallie has her team in the championship game, although I'm much more excited about this team's chances than last years. We have seen the women play their best basketball of the season the last two games, and as far as guttiness goes you can stretch their play back a few more. We will need everything their defense has to offer to shut down, or at least slow down Maryland today. Toliver and Coleman are dual threats that can score with bodies all over them. We'll also need to keep up our offensive output, as hard as that may be to do three games in a row.
Best of luck to the ladies, would love to see the trophy back in Durham after a four year absence! LET'S GO DUKE!!!

captmojo
03-08-2009, 10:21 AM
For her second straight year, McCallie has her team in the championship game, although I'm much more excited about this team's chances than last years. We have seen the women play their best basketball of the season the last two games, and as far as guttiness goes you can stretch their play back a few more. We will need everything their defense has to offer to shut down, or at least slow down Maryland today. Toliver and Coleman are dual threats that can score with bodies all over them. We'll also need to keep up our offensive output, as hard as that may be to do three games in a row.
Best of luck to the ladies, would love to see the trophy back in Durham after a four year absence! LET'S GO DUKE!!!

Good analysis. The only thing I would add is that I'd really like to see less turnovers. Every possession really needs to be treasured. Especially against a team that shoots the ball as well as Maryland does.

This goes for the men's team as well today!

miramar
03-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Since Duke has outscored their two opponents by a total of 41 points, Gay, Waner, J. Thomas, Black, and Christmas are averaging only 24 minutes over those two games. Maryland has won their two games by a total of 13 points, so their starters are averaging 31 minutes. Coleman has played 39 minutes twice, while Tolliver has played 36 and 38. I expect that Duke will try to wear those two down further, and I hope that a relatively rested team will take good care of the basketball.

UncleBill
03-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Can anyone give me a link to the game online? We are unable to find it thus far. PM or post.

devildeac
03-08-2009, 02:05 PM
ladies down 4 at the half after a furious last 2 min by the twerpettes-we led by 2 briefly after being down 7-not shooting like we did the 1st 2 games and md must be 4/6 from 3 point land and shooting about 50% overall-we are probably about 40%

devildeac
03-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Can anyone give me a link to the game online? We are unable to find it thus far. PM or post.

come join us in snrubchat

Festus
03-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Game is on FSSHD (Channel 646 on Direct TV)

UncleBill
03-08-2009, 02:08 PM
We are in temp living in NJ, basic cable only, local sports bar was incompetent at best. Go go game tracker, I guess. Plus chat.

miramar
03-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Punch, counterpunch. With Waner and Black sitting with two fouls each, Duke is fortunate to be down by only 4. Gay (11 points) and Mitchell (8) have kept Duke in the game.

Duke is 0/6 from three points, while Maryland is 3/8. Duke will have a hard time if Maryland continues to shoot 48% from the field.

It was interesting to hear Friese's comment during one time out. She told her players to hold their positions and cut off the drives because "They have no shooters out there." While Gay and Mitchell have shot 9/11 (81%), the rest of the team has shot 7/28 (25%).

devildeac
03-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Punch, counterpunch. With Waner and Black sitting with two fouls each, Duke is fortunate to be down by only 4. Gay (11 points) and Mitchell (8) have kept Duke in the game.

Duke is 0/6 from three points, while Maryland is 3/8. Duke will have a hard time if Maryland continues to shoot 48% from the field.

It was interesting to hear Friese's comment during one time out. She told her players to hold their positions and cut off the drives because "They have no shooters out there." While Gay and Mitchell have shot 9/11 (81%), the rest of the team has shot 7/28 (25%).

IOW, unfortunately, back to our old ways. Not sure we can defend them much better as their 3's were bombs and tough to defend.

devildeac
03-08-2009, 02:38 PM
terps on a 7-0 run to take the lead at 59-53 with about 12 to go

devildeac
03-08-2009, 02:52 PM
we've cut a 10 point lead to 4 and have the ball with about 7-8 minutes to go

devildeac
03-08-2009, 03:18 PM
OT at 81-81. We came back down 6 with about 2 to go.

-jk
03-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Tip-in for Overtime!

Go Duke!

-jk

miramar
03-08-2009, 03:20 PM
At one point Maryland was shooting 22-44, but Duke locked down at the end and they only hit 5 out of their last 14 shots. This Duke team is tough, no matter what happens in OT.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-08-2009, 03:39 PM
So close! A loss in overtime! I'm so proud of our women's team and what they've accomplished so far this season, but so sorry they lost today.

concrete
03-08-2009, 03:40 PM
what a game!

Props to the women...at the beginning of the season after the Hartford loss I wouldn't have thought they'd make it this far. Maryland is and offensive machine and for us to play them so tight in a championship atmosphere is a tremendous testament to this team and Coach P. I was down on Coach P the first 1.5 seasons but she looks very capable of taking a team deep into the tourney.

miramar
03-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Really a tough game that showed what both teams are made of.

Unfortunately, Maryland made 9/20 of their threes, while Duke only made 2/12. Duke's last two three pointers in the final minute were an air ball and a shot that only hit the backboard, but it was an outstanding effort nonetheless. A lesser team would have folded when they got down by double figures in the last ten minutes of regulation.

Duke had five players who scored 11 or more, and if they can combine that kind of offensive performance with their defensive intensity, they will go far in the NCAAs. I just hope they're not in the same bracket as UConn.

captmojo
03-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Tip of the hat to the winners. Duke put out a great effort. This result does, however, show the importance of making free throws.

I still expect a high seeding in the NCAA's. Maryland should likewise. Best of luck, Devils.

godukerocks
03-08-2009, 03:47 PM
That was gut wrenching.

Maryland just had an answer for every score we had in OT. Coleman's three was huge. IMO, if Waner had hit her three before, or if Coleman had missed that shot, things could have very easily gone different.

I think we all wanted this a little bit more, in part because Careem, Abby and Chante have not won an ACC Title yet. But obviously, lots of positives can be taken away from the game.

- We scored 89 points on Maryland, 81 in regulation. The offense is looking much better than what it was.
- Abby shot 9 for 13 in the tournament I believe. Her shot will be crucial in advancing far in the NCAA's.
- Careem Gay stepped up and kept us in the game numerous times.

This loss stings a lot, but I still believe Duke will be a threat for an Elite Eight and possibly the Final Four.

In addition, Chante's one handed putback for the tie was one of the most exciting moments in the past two years.

burnspbesq
03-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Abby's last three goes in off the glass if it's from two feet closer. Full credit to Maryland for a great defensive stand when they needed it.

Terps are going to be a very tough out in the tournament. When they are hitting on all cylinders, they can play with anybody, including UConn.

If we can sustain he way we played this weekend for two more weekends, and if we aren't in UConn's regional, we have a legitimate shot at the final four. I would absolutely like our chances against Stanford on Cal's home floor in the Elite Eight. Against OU, if we can force them to switch on the interior so that Paris has to chase Carrem or Joy, I see lots of foul trouble for the Sooners.

dukeballer2294
03-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Great game, its ashame again maryland and Toliver have to beat us in the final seconds.

Duvall
03-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Terps are going to be a very tough out in the tournament. When they are hitting on all cylinders, they can play with anybody, including UConn.

No. Maryland can't guard UConn, but Uconn can guard Maryland. And that's that.

zingit
03-08-2009, 04:08 PM
What a heartbreaker. Dang terps! Could have made some better decisions at some points, but still a very tough comeback at the end of regulation, and I still think we are arguably playing the best we've played all year. I think the criticism of Coach P has been put to rest.

burnspbesq
03-08-2009, 05:33 PM
I think the criticism of Coach P has been put to rest.

Nope. Not even close. She still hasn't shown that she can recruit worth a damn.

dukeman28428
03-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Our ladies played hard and even though some of the players did not have their best game, they showed a lot of heart and fought to the very end. Yes, I know that their hearts are heavy but they have a lot to be proud of and I think they will do very well at the ACC and NCAA. GO DEVILS :)

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Just got back from watching both games in Wilmington. Everything I could say has already been said here. I just wanted to offer my thoughts, too, that this was a really well fought game by both sides. Very evenly matched, it was fun to watch. Best of luck in the NCAA's to the women, I hate we have to wait so long to see them in action again.
GO DUKE!!

godukecom
03-08-2009, 11:56 PM

+1

from me anyway

zingit
03-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have even brought this up, since now the thread will turn into a referendum on Coach P instead of a commentary on a hard-fought game, but I gotta respond.

Really? "Not even close"? If I recall, there were more criticisms of Coach P than just recruiting. There were some doomsayers arguing that Duke would never be an elite team again (see here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12961&highlight=coach+p) and here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8863&highlight=coach+p)). Well, I'm not saying everything is perfect with this team, but we are now likely to earn a 2-seed in the tourney, and have beaten eight ranked teams, IIRC. We can beat any team in the country, except for maybe UConn (and let's face it, nobody has a good chance against UConn this year--I don't think it's fair to measure our program against theirs in this particular year).

And besides winning games, look at individual player development. I've heard people criticize Coach P for losing Emily Waner and Brittney Mitch, but she also hasn't gotten much credit for the tremendous improvement that players like Keturah Jackson, Jasmine Thomas, and Karima Christmas have shown since she showed up. Sure, she's winning with Coach G's recruits, but she is also doing a good job coaching them.

Give her some credit; this team has had a very successful year so far. There are plenty of aspects of coaching, and I'd say that while the jury might still be out on recruiting, Coach P has had done pretty well overall so far. I think recruits will come if they see a successful program at a good school. There may be a lull in recruiting for a few years as there would be when almost any new coach takes over, but I think Coach P has shown that she deserves patience, at the very least. Why pick out one ambiguous area (albeit an important area) to criticize while ignoring all the positive areas?

OK, rant over. In any case, we got to the Sweet Sixteen last year, and this tear's team is clearly better than that one, so I'm hopeful that we'll go even farther this year! Today's game was disappointing, but hopefully they'll learn from it, and they still have a lot to be confident in.

CameronBornAndBred
03-09-2009, 08:12 AM
OK, rant over. In any case, we got to the Sweet Sixteen last year, and this tear's team is clearly better than that one, so I'm hopeful that we'll go even farther this year! Today's game was disappointing, but hopefully they'll learn from it, and they still have a lot to be confident in.
I won't rant on that, I think that was a great post. I also think P's recruiting is bound to improve now that she has had 2 successful season's (and may this one continue it's success). She has proven that she can not only coach, but improve a program. I'm excited by the three she has coming in next year, especially Vernerey (6' 5").

homebre
03-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Great game and I congratulate the team and Coach P. It is about time people give her some credit. She is a tough coach with a touch and mature team. Unfortunately, the loss to the Twerps took the air out of trying to enjoy the Duke-UNC game.

Andy from Hillsborough

miramar
03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I won't rant on that, I think that was a great post. I also think P's recruiting is bound to improve now that she has had 2 successful seasons (and may this one continue its success). She has proven that she can not only coach, but improve a program. I'm excited by the three she has coming in next year, especially Vernerey (6' 5").

I have no doubt that if the team continues to play well, especially on offense, then they will go far in the NCAAs, and that success will carry over into a solid recruiting class. WBB recruiting is different because most players don't commit until their senior year, which means that there should be plenty of potential recruits for Duke, although I have no idea who's on Duke radar. Here is the ESPN HoopGurlz Super 60 for the class of 2010, which doesn't have many solid commitments yet:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncw/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&season=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncw %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu100%3f%26season%3d2 010

I mentioned the offense because I don't think top recruits are naturally drawn to the grind-it-out style. Teams play this kind of basketball when they don't have a choice (because they have no HS All-Americans), but you certainly should avoid it if you can (for example, when you have seven HS All-Americans).

Duke has been successful this year because their defense can keep many teams shooting in the 35% range. Nevertheless, top teams such as UNC and Maryland can shoot 45% or more even against the best defenses, so you have to put some points on the board to compete with them, as we have seen Duke do recently.

The offense is also key to the final problem: student attendance. I am delighted that WBB has reached out to the community and that the stands are full of townies and parents with children. That's great, but I have been told that Senior Night against UNC had about 30 students in attendance, which is a real shame all around. Just a few years ago, there were plenty of Crazies at the women's games, which made for a completely different environment.

Part of the lure for basketball recruits is to play in Cameron in front of the Crazies, and I am sure that WBB will see this environment once again if they can play the same exciting, competitive basketball that we saw in the ACC Tournament.

I hope that didn't sound like a rant, since I try to be reasonable about these things.

zingit
03-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Interesting--Charlie Creme (http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology#) at ESPN has us getting a #1 seed. He says we've found our offense, and he have the best resume of wins of all the other teams in contention for the final #1 seed. I hope the Selection Committee agrees. The AP poll certainly doesn't. They never seems to give us much love. They've consistently ranked Stanford ahead of us; right now (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/rankings) they have Stanford at #2 and us at #6. Which I just don't understand, since we beat them, and we also beat Tennessee, one of the teams Stanford lost to. Yes, I understand that those games were in December, and Stanford has basically been on a tear since then, but still a win's a win, and we should be given credit for that. I guess it speaks to the what-have-you-done-lately nature of polls. I would think if the Committee were trying to decide between us two, they'd have to give it to Duke. I guess the other teams in contention for that final #1 seed (after UConn, Maryland, and Oklahoma) are Louisville, Baylor, and Auburn . . .? I don't follow women's basketball much outside of Duke, so maybe someone else can say more on how we stack up against those teams.

I think you're right, Miramar, that having a smooth offense can help with both recruiting and attendance. We'll see how that plays out. Their offense is looking the best it's looked all year now. Moreover, such a strong defense really helps our offense; when they get fast breaks off of steals and things like that, that makes for very exciting basketball.

CameronBornAndBred
03-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Interesting--Charlie Creme (http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology#) at ESPN has us getting a #1 seed. He says we've found our offense, and he have the best resume of wins of all the other teams in contention for the final #1 seed. I hope the Selection Committee agrees. The AP poll certainly doesn't. They never seems to give us much love. They've consistently ranked Stanford ahead of us; right now (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/rankings) they have Stanford at #2 and us at #6. Which I just don't understand, since we beat them, and we also beat Tennessee, one of the teams Stanford lost to. Yes, I understand that those games were in December, and Stanford has basically been on a tear since then, but still a win's a win, and we should be given credit for that. I guess it speaks to the what-have-you-done-lately nature of polls. I would think if the Committee were trying to decide between us two, they'd have to give it to Duke. I guess the other teams in contention for that final #1 seed (after UConn, Maryland, and Oklahoma) are Louisville, Baylor, and Auburn . . .? I don't follow women's basketball much outside of Duke, so maybe someone else can say more on how we stack up against those teams.

I think you're right, Miramar, that having a smooth offense can help with both recruiting and attendance. We'll see how that plays out. Their offense is looking the best it's looked all year now. Moreover, such a strong defense really helps our offense; when they get fast breaks off of steals and things like that, that makes for very exciting basketball.
I think Stanford will get the other #1 besides the 3 you have listed. If Duke is any higher than a 2 I would be shocked, I just don't want to be anywhere near UCONN's bracket.

blueprofessor
03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I won't rant on that, I think that was a great post. I also think P's recruiting is bound to improve now that she has had 2 successful season's (and may this one continue it's success). She has proven that she can not only coach, but improve a program. I'm excited by the three she has coming in next year, especially Vernerey (6' 5").

- Villanova University senior forward Laura Kurz has been named first team All-Big East, in addition to earning the Big East Conference Co-Most Improved Player Award. Kurz was a unanimous first team selection. The announcement was made on Thursday, March 5 in Hartford, Conn.:)

Kurz, who is a native of Lower Gwynedd, Pa., and a graduate of Germantown Academy, has started all 30 games this season for Villanova and leads the team in scoring (18.0 ppg.), rebounding (7.2 rpg.), blocks (40) and field goal percentage (.464). She has scored in double figures in 28 of her team's 30 games, including in 26 consecutive contests. She has also had seven games of 20 points or more this year, including a career-high 35 point effort at Pittsburgh on Feb. 18.

Last week at Connecticut, Kurz became just the second player in Villanova women's basketball history to score 1,000 points in two seasons. She registered 491 as a junior in 2007-08 and currently has 541 points this season. Kurz played her first two seasons at Duke University where she netted 358 points. For her four-year college career, Kurz currently has 1,380 career points.
Evaluating talent ....
Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

Ders24
03-09-2009, 10:55 PM
The offense is also key to the final problem: student attendance. I am delighted that WBB has reached out to the community and that the stands are full of townies and parents with children. That's great, but I have been told that Senior Night against UNC had about 30 students in attendance, which is a real shame all around. Just a few years ago, there were plenty of Crazies at the women's games, which made for a completely different environment.

Part of the lure for basketball recruits is to play in Cameron in front of the Crazies, and I am sure that WBB will see this environment once again if they can play the same exciting, competitive basketball that we saw in the ACC Tournament.

I hope that didn't sound like a rant, since I try to be reasonable about these things.

The senior game this year was pretty well attended, I didn't get exact student numbers though. While attendance may have been better with G coaching, it wasn't significantly better. Students packed the house for the big games (TN, UNC, UMD, etc), but there was still just about no one there for the other games. We didn't play TN at home this year, so you can't compare that. The Stanford game was over break so that also doesn't help for a reference point. I do agree with you in that the offense can help, but I think it just takes time for the program to build up some credibility with the students.

throatybeard
03-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Best thing about getting a #1 is that means you can't be in UConn's region.

I don't think we'll get a 1 ranked somehwere around 10th.

MHTorringjan
03-10-2009, 09:22 AM
+1

from me anyway

Look, can we please wait to hear about what Tayler Hill (the highest uncommitted recruit for this year's class who has Duke as one of her top 5) does before we say she can't recruit worth a darn? Sure, she hasn't gotten the top players in the country so far, and I fear Carolina next year (even without McCants and the other four seniors), but can we please wait until she doesn't have a 20-win (or a 25-win, as the case is this year) season to start criticizing her?

I'm with Born and Bred on this one, I'm proud of the team, and I'm proud of Coach P.

miramar
03-10-2009, 09:45 AM
It's too bad about Kurz. She would have been a big help last year, which would have been her senior year at Duke, but I'm delighted that everything worked out for her.

killerleft
03-10-2009, 10:07 AM

That cup half empty, or what? Let it go. Gail's gone. Chose to go. Vamoosed. Jilted the team and Duke.

At least you're giving Coach P the benefit of the doubt, right?

blueprofessor
03-10-2009, 12:49 PM
It's too bad about Kurz. She would have been a big help last year, which would have been her senior year at Duke, but I'm delighted that everything worked out for her.
Although not the most athletic player,Laura is a great shooter playing extremely well in the BigEasy.I think her shooting would have helped us this year.
Assuming good coaching, recruiting is the key in women's bball,as there is a tremendous drop in talent levels after the top 50. Duke must recruit top players to achieve at the highest level.:cool:

Best regards---Blueprofessor:)

jimsumner
03-10-2009, 11:05 PM
One-seed, two seed, doesn't matter. What matters is staying out of UConn's regional. They just eviscerated Louisville tonight and Louisville is pretty darn good. Anyone who gets placed in their regional can forget about the FF.

Gargoyle
03-11-2009, 09:30 AM
^ One seed guarantees you will not be in CT's bracket.

jimsumner
03-11-2009, 09:49 AM
"One seed guarantees you will not be in CT's bracket. "

Well, only if we assume that UConn is going to be a one seed. :)

I'd rather be a four seed in Stanford's region than a two-seed in UConn's region.

Still, assuming the NCAA uses the S curve, then the number 8 overall seed ends up as the 2 with the Huskies.

Woe to that team. Can you lobby downwards?

CameronBornAndBred
03-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Still, assuming the NCAA uses the S curve, then the number 8 overall seed ends up as the 2 with the Huskies.

Woe to that team. Can you lobby downwards?
Let's lobby for Pat Summit's Volunteers to get that 2 seed. She always whines about being seeded to low anyways. I'm sure no other teams will object.

miramar
03-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Assuming good coaching, recruiting is the key in women's bball, as there is a tremendous drop in talent levels after the top 50. Duke must recruit top players to achieve at the highest level.:cool:

Best regards---Blueprofessor:)

While we all know that the rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, to say the least, the talent differences in the women are huge, which means that any top women's program has to be full of top 50 players. So there is no doubt that the 2010 recruiting class will be an important barometer of future success.

John Wooden, the best coach ever, said that you can't win without talent. He also pointed out that not everyone can win with it, so it's what economists call a necessary but not sufficient condition.

BTW, does anyone know the players that Duke is trying to recruit for 2010?

CameronBornAndBred
03-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Look here for info
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncw/recruiting/tracker/school?page=considering&season=2010&schoolId=150&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncw %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fpage%3dconsider ing%26season%3d2010%26schoolId%3d150

miramar
03-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Look here for info
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncw/recruiting/tracker/school?page=considering&season=2010&schoolId=150&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncw %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fpage%3dconsider ing%26season%3d2010%26schoolId%3d150

Thanks for the info. It's interesting to see that Chelsea Bass is down to two schools: Duke and Texas. That should prove to be an interesting recruitment.

The scary thing here is that UConn already has commitments from the #2 and #13 players, but they are also competing for Duke's top two recruits, #4 Bria Hartley and #19 Michala Johnson.

JG Nothing
03-11-2009, 06:58 PM
While we all know that the rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, to say the least, the talent differences in the women are huge, which means that any top women's program has to be full of top 50 players. So there is no doubt that the 2010 recruiting class will be an important barometer of future success.

John Wooden, the best coach ever, said that you can't win without talent. He also pointed out that not everyone can win with it, so it's what economists call a necessary but not sufficient condition.

The Devils Den Women's Hoops forum is a great place to get free information about Duke recruiting. There are separate threads devoted to recruiting classes for 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. The information is regularly updated.
http://duke.scout.com/