PDA

View Full Version : Maryland likely NIT bound . . . again

4decadedukie
03-08-2009, 06:04 AM
The DC media adores the Terps and Gary Williams, which is to be anticipated since UMd is a major local university with a strong regional fan/alumni base. It has been particularly interesting -- although maddening -- to watch the Washington Post rationalize mediocre on-court performance (including some awful losses such as Morgan State, Duke 40+, BC, Virginia Tech and now UVa), boorish fans, loutish player behavior, Williams' conflicts with Maryland's administrators, and the annual "circus" that is Coach Williams. This has embraced justification of fan behavior (especially toward Duke), explanation of Williams' recruiting deficiencies (especially his AAU player disdain), trivializing severe academic inadequacies, support of Vasquez's "f-bombs" directed at Com-Cast Center fans, and so forth.

Since Maryland's mini-resurgence – which really means its single, noteworthy ACC victory over UNC – the "local media line" has focused on the team's -- and Gary Williams' -- over-achievement, doing so well with such limited talent. My Sunday Post has yet to be delivered, but I look forward to their validation of Saturday’s inexcusable loss to the Hoos (#11 of 12 in our Conference). It will also be fun to read how Maryland’s impending NIT bid is “almost, sort of, the same as an NCAA invitation.”

gotham devil
03-08-2009, 03:00 PM
The DC media adores the Terps and Gary Williams, which is to be anticipated since UMd is a major local university with a strong regional fan/alumni base. It has been particularly interesting -- although maddening -- to watch the Washington Post rationalize mediocre on-court performance (including some awful losses such as Morgan State, Duke 40+, BC, Virginia Tech and now UVa), boorish fans, loutish player behavior, Williams' conflicts with Maryland's administrators, and the annual "circus" that is Coach Williams. This has embraced justification of fan behavior (especially toward Duke), explanation of Williams' recruiting deficiencies (especially his AAU player disdain), trivializing severe academic inadequacies, support of Vasquez's "f-bombs" directed at Com-Cast Center fans, and so forth.

Since Maryland's mini-resurgence – which really means its single, noteworthy ACC victory over UNC – the "local media line" has focused on the team's -- and Gary Williams' -- over-achievement, doing so well with such limited talent. My Sunday Post has yet to be delivered, but I look forward to their validation of Saturday’s inexcusable loss to the Hoos (#11 of 12 in our Conference). It will also be fun to read how Maryland’s impending NIT bid is “almost, sort of, the same as an NCAA invitation.”

It will also be interesting to see how they chose to cover the potential Lance Stephenson/NCAA/Under Armour/Maryland investigation in the future.