PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 75, FSU 57 (ACC Tourney)

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I didn't see the OT loss in Tallahassee, but it was not a typical Duke game at all. Duke outshot the Seminoles 49.2% to 45.5%, but was outrebounded 40-33. How often has that happened this year?
I pulled this from the UVA thread. In some ways that game was too much of a typical Duke game, in that we had a commanding lead that we gave up. We've done the same against Maryland and Carolina as well. We did a great job yesterday of not letting UVA back in it, but at the end of the 1st half it looked like that's where we were headed.
If we can keep FSU at arms reach when (and if) we have a lead, obviously we greatly improve our chances. Today's game should be a tough one, FSU has a great team. The only reason they are not in the top 10 is their schedule has not given them many elite teams to play outside of the ACC. Freshour drilled us for 21 points last game, including 3 threes; she will be a focus of our defense I'm sure.
Best of luck today again, ladies, LGD!!
Today's game is televised on FSN and ACCselect (free feed) at 3:30.
The Md.-UNC matchup in the first session should be very good as well.

captmojo
03-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Isn't FSU's WBB team caught up in the cheating scandal, as well?

Do you think this might pre-occupy their focus, or give them a feeling of greater cause?

blueprofessor
03-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I pulled this from the UVA thread. In some ways that game was too much of a typical Duke game, in that we had a commanding lead that we gave up. We've done the same against Maryland and Carolina as well. We did a great job yesterday of not letting UVA back in it, but at the end of the 1st half it looked like that's where we were headed.
If we can keep FSU at arms reach when (and if) we have a lead, obviously we greatly improve our chances. Today's game should be a tough one, FSU has a great team. The only reason they are not in the top 10 is their schedule has not given them many elite teams to play outside of the ACC. Freshour drilled us for 21 points last game, including 3 threes; she will be a focus of our defense I'm sure.

FSU women played MD,Duke,and UNC only once...and at home.
In OOC play, they lost to UConn 83-71 and beat Texas A&M.

They are a gritty,no quit team, that has good chemistry.

They do not choke,so it will be a fight.:mad:

Go,Duke!
Best--Blueprofessor:)

blueprofessor
03-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Isn't FSU's WBB team caught up in the cheating scandal, as well?

Do you think this might pre-occupy their focus, or give them a feeling of greater cause?

The FSU women's bball team will lose 2 scholarships in 2009-2010 or 2010-2011,at the school's discretion.

I'd be surprised if this embarrassment were not on the players' minds.
This team is tough and the sanction could cause them to fight harder,because the removal of victories in the fall of 2006 and the fall and winter of 2007 is seen by many as unfair.

Its most profound impact is on Coach Bowden's 14 wins which will be stripped,making it almost impossible to catch Paterno in wins.

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2009, 03:23 PM
LGD!! We'll have the Twerps in the final if we win, but we have to win first.

We are snrubbing, join in. http://www.snrub.com/

marinbobbyduhon
03-07-2009, 03:54 PM

I cannot find this on ACCselect. Can someone provide a link to today's game.
Thanks in advance!

Duvall
03-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks in advance!

The game's on TV, on Fox Sports Net. Check Fox College Sports Central, if you have it.

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks in advance!
it is probably on now. They wait until the game starts. http://www.theacc.com/accselect/index.html

Duke up by 17 now.

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2009, 04:28 PM
It even tops yesterday's near perfect performance, the ladies have a 22 point lead!

Stray Gator
03-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Duke leads 40-18 at the half. As one announcer observed, these two games in the ACC Tournament have been the best performances by this team so far this season. The defense is not such a surprise, but the offensive efficiency last night and in the first half today has been the most impressive I've seen since McCallie took over.

DukieInKansas
03-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the updates. I was finally able to get game tracker through ACCSelect - but it still shows 3 minutes left in the half. I'm feeling very technologically challenged. :mad:

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the updates. I was finally able to get game tracker through ACCSelect - but it still shows 3 minutes left in the half. I'm feeling very technologically challenged. :mad:
you should be able to watch the game, not just tracker...
click the big blue button, and then live events.

marinbobbyduhon
03-07-2009, 04:46 PM

I went with ESPN Real Time because the GameTracker is running way behind. ACCSelect only offers the Post Game Press Conferences for free today. Disappointing since I was at work during last night's free telecast. I don't have cable or satellite TV so the internet is what I rely on to get my games. At least we are playing terrific, so I had better not complain!

DukieInKansas
03-07-2009, 04:48 PM
you should be able to watch the game, not just tracker...
click the big blue button, and then live events.

I'm apparently not meant to see this game. When I click on the blue button, it doesn't list today's games on the choices. I can select yesterday's games but nothing for today.

I'll just check back in here periodically to see how the team is doing.

marinbobbyduhon
03-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm apparently not meant to see this game. When I click on the blue button, it doesn't list today's games on the choices. I can select yesterday's games but nothing for today.

It appears that FSt is making a come back. We need to make some stops and
re-assert ourselves!

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2009, 04:57 PM

right now not well. We let them make it a 10 point game in less than 5 minutes. We are careless with the ball and not shooting well. grrr

Come snrub with us, we'll keep you up to date!

Stray Gator
03-07-2009, 04:58 PM

You really don't want to see what's happening now. FSU has outscored Duke 16-3 and has cut the lead from 22 to 9 in less than 4 minutes of play in the second half. Ugh.

Stray Gator
03-07-2009, 05:01 PM
And just like that, Duke goes on a 7-0 run and pushes the lead back to 16.

DukieInKansas
03-07-2009, 05:04 PM
right now not well. We let them make it a 10 point game in less than 5 minutes. We are careless with the ball and not shooting well. grrr

Come snrub with us, we'll keep you up to date!

Unfortunately, I am supposed to be working so that doesn't work so well. I'll be there tomorrow though! No working on Sundays, at least not yet.

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2009, 05:22 PM
20 point lead again. We rock!

Stray Gator
03-07-2009, 05:27 PM
20 point lead again. We rock!

You can tell it's over for all practical purposes--all the UNC fans who stuck around to cheer against Duke have now left the building. :D

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Excellent win. They withstood a vicous FSU comeback started by some dagger threes in the beginning of the second half (and some sloppy play on our part). It was very important for this team to prove to themselves that not only can they withstand a comeback, but get the original lead back up. Great game by the women, 4 players in double figures, and Abby had 9, with 3/4 shooting from past the arc. Facing Maryland in the finals now, LGD!!!

miramar
03-07-2009, 05:46 PM
The second half obviously didn't start out well, but fortunately Duke righted the ship fairly quickly. After some of the second-half problems of late, it was good to see the team react quickly. It was also good to see starters resting for the second game in a row since tomorrow's game will be a tough one.

Don't forget to change your watch.

miramar
03-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Once again the three point shooting (7/12=58.3%) was better than the two point shooting (22/44=50%), which is a pleasant surprise for a team that came in ranked #185 out of 251 teams in three-point percentage. Duke also had almost as many assists as turnovers (14 & 15), which again is good for a team ranked 193 out of 328 in assists to turnovers with .68 (that's 394 assists compared to 577 turnovers, although I have no idea why 251 teams are ranked for three pointers and 328 for everything else).

Other good numbers include points in the paint, where Duke had a 38-14 advantage, and points off turnovers (22-11). FSU's largest lead was by one point at the 19:19 mark of the first half.

The box score also indicates that Duke won on bench points 75-57, which suggests that no one started for either team, which must be a first.

The only negative static is Duke's FG defense by half, with an incredible 24.1% in the first half and 43.3% in the second, although the overall figure of 33.9% is quite impressive. FSU only had two threes in the first half, but 5 in the second, which I am sure will be a point of emphasis against Maryland.

Tappan Zee Devil
03-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Am I correct in determining that I will not be able to see the finals tomorrow here in the NYC area. It appears that although most Faux sports channels will cover the ACC women, what we get here is the the NEC mens game :mad:.

Any suggestions?

JIm

MHTorringjan
03-07-2009, 09:28 PM
The box score also indicates that Duke won on bench points 75-57, which suggests that no one started for either team, which must be a first.

LOLOL!! That's about the most hilarious thing I've seen all day, aside from the Carolina airball with less than a minute left. ;-)

My thoughts on the game have pretty much all been said by now, the shooting is going amazingly, the defense is good as always, and all of the players are clicking just right. The turnovers have been mercifully low for us these last two games, which has made the game much more viewable.

Even though they are getting the rebounds they need when they need them, they aren't dominating as much as we've seen them do at times. Possibly that's because of the high shooting percentage, but I'd be hesitant to attribute it to that entirely.

Chante has been good these past two games, but it's been a tale of two halves in both games. Abby has been shooting lights out in the tourney so far, let's hope it sticks with her for seven or so more games. Karima has ben asserting herself very well with positive results, Bridgette is making the plays that we need her to make, and Joy is playing above her output for the rest of this season. Carrem has impressed me later in the season, and this game was no exception. Really, the whole team feels like it's elevated itself to another level, so let's hope it continues tomorrow! I'll be there, cheering as always! :-)

While the first game of the day was officiated pretty well, our game was questionable, as they refused to call FSU's player Bravard for clearing out with the elbow and forearm, despite repeated instances being pointed out to them. It wasn't as bad as the officiating in the WFU-UMd game (which Wake Forest would have had more than a reasonable shot of winning had they called the contact of Maryland; not that I care, because UMd beat the Holes for us), but it still seemed somewhat off to me.

-bdbd
03-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Watched the whole game on Fox. (Who was the woman color commentator? She seemed to be actively pulling for FSU, and was disappointed at the end...)

Great game for the Duke women. FSU really was shooting lights-out at the start of the second half. Our D let down some, but you know you're hot when your center steps back above the top of the key and drains nothing but net (her foot was on the line, so only counted for 2)... they were something like 6 of 7 to start the half, and they weren't all chippies. Duke seemed clearly the better team. And they showed their mettle once it got below a 10-point-margin.

Should be a good game vs MD tomorrow. At least the Kerlina fans won't be around to boo Duke lustily. Any chance of a #1 seed if we win the Tourney? (In any event, we should have one of the better #2 seeds at least.)

Go Duke!

-BDBD :D

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Any chance of a #1 seed if we win the Tourney? (In any event, we should have one of the better #2 seeds at least.)

IMO the ACC is THE strongest conference this year without question. Whoever wins tomorrow gets a 1 seed. The announcer was thinking we'd be a three, maybe a two. She's on drugs, with our SOS and wins, there is no way even losing tomorrow that we aren't a 2. If we win, and don't get a one, that's a crime, but I'd be ok with it as long as we don't have UCONN.

captmojo
03-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Watched the whole game on Fox. (Who was the woman color commentator? She seemed to be actively pulling for FSU, and was disappointed at the end...)

Debbie Antonelli. A vet of Kay Yow's Wolfpack.