PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Daly (who coached with Vic Bubas) has cancer

Kewlswim
03-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi,

I believe Coach Daly spent some time coaching with Vic Bubbas at Duke. He was just diagnosed with cancer. Get well soon coach!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2009-03-06-daly-cancer_N.htm?csp=34

GO DUKE!

weezie
03-06-2009, 06:37 PM
This Detroiter wishes him nothing but the best. I'm so sorry to hear that he is ill. Great guy with a fine sense of humor.

77devil
03-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Get well Chuck Daly. Daly indeed was a Bubas assistant as was Hubie Brown and Bucky Waters. That was quite a trio of assistants and even though Bucky had a rough time as Duke's head coach he was a outstanding assistant, head recruiter, and a successful head coach at West Virginia after leaving and before returning to Duke.

Chuck Daly was head coach at Penn when it was still a national contender after he left Duke. My high school team played the Penn freshman team in 1972 at the Palestra before a Big 5 varsity game. Chuck came to our locker room after the game and could not have been more gracious. He later became an assistant to the Kangaroo Kid with the Philadelphia 76ers, demonstrating that Duke and UNC can sometimes coexist, before becoming head coach of the Detroit Pistons.

I may have missed a stop or two along the journey though.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Coach Daly returned to campus a couple of years ago for the reunion of the 1963-64 Freshman Team (Class of '67). In addition to serving as an assistant coach for the varsity, he was the freshman coach during his time at Duke.

Tappan Zee Devil
03-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Get well Chuck Daly. Daly indeed was a Bubas assistant as was Hubie Brown and Bucky Waters.

Of that trio, Daly is the one that I have the most respect for - a good coach and a good man. Fight it, Coach. I will be praying for you.

Jim
T-70