PDA

View Full Version : Duke might have "beaten" FSU football teams

CameronBornAndBred
03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Sanctions were announced for 10 Florida State sports, with football being hit the hardest. I don't particularily think the actual sanctions are not all that tough, a loss of couple scholarships and probation; that's a slap on the wrist. They do face forfeiting wins from the 2006 and 2007 seasons. If the players in question played in those games, they will have to be counted as a loss. Duke played FSU both years, and probably every player on the Florida State roster played us by the end of both games. So that would mean at least on paper that we did actually win a game in 2006, and won a total of 2 in 2007. In reality we still got smoked.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3958292

OZZIE4DUKE
03-06-2009, 05:28 PM
They do face forfeiting wins from the 2006 and 2007 seasons. If the players in question played in those games, they will have to be counted as a loss. Duke played FSU both years, and probably every player on the Florida State roster played us by the end of both games. So that would mean at least on paper that we did actually win a game in 2006, and won a total of 2 in 2007. In reality we still got smoked.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3958292
Yeah, it's too late to save Coach Roof's job. :rolleyes: And until we beat them on the field, we still haven't. That will change this fall! :cool::D:eek:

rtnorthrup
03-06-2009, 05:35 PM
I believe that they are vacating the wins, not forfeiting them. This means that they will come off the FSU books, but will not alter the opposing teams records. I dont think we will get credit for any wins.

CameronBornAndBred
03-06-2009, 06:45 PM
I believe that they are vacating the wins, not forfeiting them. This means that they will come off the FSU books, but will not alter the opposing teams records. I dont think we will get credit for any wins.
That would make a whole lot more sense to me. I never liked the idea of a post game forfeit.

BD80
03-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Hopefully this will end the death struggle between Bowden and Paterno, competing to see who can stay alive the longest while holding the title of "head coach. It sounds like Bowden is an absolute joke, having yielded almost all duties to assistant coaches. Paterno isn't much better, particularly when he was injured and not on the sidelines.

Bowden will lose some victories because of this scandal, so hopefully he will just give up the chase for immortality and retire with what little dignity he has left.

Uncle Drew
03-06-2009, 11:50 PM

The university will seek clarification on a penalty forcing FSU to vacate all wins in which ineligible players participated. FSU officials feel that, since they pulled players out of competition after they found out those players were ineligible, they shouldn't have to vacate any wins.

Okay, maybe I am just confused by the term "vacate" but I have a few questions. They were 7-5 in 2006 including their bowl win and & 7-6 in 2007 including a bowl loss. The teams that beat them that year get to keep the W, but the teams that lost to FSU have to keep the L? Do they have to forfeit any $$$$ for winning the bowl game in 2006, and doesn't that $$$$ gets split among the ACC members? I'm sure I'm reading too much into this as usual. But it doesn't seem fair that the teams who earned a W get to keep that W and the teams that lost to a cheating team / school should have to keep the L. Then again thinking back to the Fab 5 Michigan teams there is one school that beat them I'm glad kept their W, but I sure wish that other one had to wipe their W off the list.

Miami W 13-10
Troy W 24-17
Clemson L 27-20
Rice W 55-7
NC State L 24-20
Duke W 55-24
Boston College L 24-19
Maryland L 27-24
Virginia W 33-0
Wake Forest L 30-0
Western Michigan W 28-10
Florida L 21-14
UCLA (Bowl) W 44-27

Clemson L 24-18
UAB W 34-24
Colorado W 16-6
Alabama W 21-14
North Carolina State W 27-10
Wake Forest L 24-21
Miami (FL) L 37-29
Duke W 25-6
Boston College W 27-17
Virginia Tech L 40-21
Maryland W 24-16
Florida L 45-12
Kentucky L 35-28 (Bowl)

Devilsfan
03-07-2009, 02:25 AM
There's no room in college sports for actions like FSU's team made. What ever happened to the Death Penalty? Sports ARE bigger than academics at FSU. Their coach seems to have lost control of his team a long time ago. Isn't this the team Coach Spurrior (sp.) called FREE SHOES U? They haven't changed much over time.

4decadedukie
03-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Sports ARE bigger than academics at FSU.

And at several other "universities," perhaps even some in the ACC.

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Their coach seems to have lost control of his team a long time ago.
Remember, too, that this is not just about football. 10 teams are affected. That's a big chunk of the whole athletic department. As I stated in the original post, their punishment is little more than a wrist slap.

Devilsfan
03-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I still say that the DEATH PENALTY would send a much needed message around our conference and the nation.

namvet1965
03-07-2009, 11:09 AM
We have been to Hell and won there! RememberTy Lawson?

miramar
03-07-2009, 01:43 PM
FSU has been doing these things for years and everybody just accepts it because Bobby is just so dadgum down to earth. This is Free Shoes University as Spurrier used to say, where Deion Sanders played in a bowl game without going to class the entire semester and where players used to get the answers before they took exams:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3159534

Bowden is certainly no Joe Pa.