PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Abby

jimsumner
03-05-2009, 11:40 PM
"Duke University senior Abby Waner has been chosen to receive the Women's Basketball Coaches Association's (WBCA) Robin Roberts/WBCA Broadcasting Scholarship Award, which was released on the WBCA on Thursday afternoon.

The Robin Roberts/WBCA Broadcasting Scholarship Award is presented annually to one female collegiate basketball player who intends to pursue graduate work and a career in sports communications/journalism. As part of the scholarship, $500 is provided by Robin Roberts for travel to/from the WBCA National Convention for the recipient, while $4,000 goes directly to the institution for the student's tuition.

"Abby has decided to pursue a career in the sports communications/journalism field and we would like to thank her for that and award her with the Robin Roberts/WBCA Broadcasting Scholarship," WBCA CEO Beth Bass said. "We look forward to working with you in the future."

BD80
03-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Move over Erin, here comes Abby!

devildownunder
03-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Move over Erin, here comes Abby!

Abby Waner embarking on a career in sports broadcast journalism makes the world a better place!

TillyGalore
03-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Congratulations Abby!! I've enjoyed her reports on Coach Cut's show and so excited she is going to pursue a career in broadcast journalism. I just know she will be great!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Woohoo! You go girl! :D

chrishoke
03-06-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm very happy for Abby! Awesome.

miramar
03-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I hope that we can see Jason Williams and Abby Waner together doing games or commentary in the near future. That would beat listening to Jimmy Dykes, don't you think? Or Digger Phelps or...

killerleft
03-06-2009, 10:35 AM
With her smarts and her eye candy-ness, she cannot miss!

4decadedukie
03-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Bright, articulate, knowledgeable, and a Dukie . . . how can she miss? Congratulations, Abby!

dukeman28428
03-07-2009, 07:34 PM
And she hit some really big shots today to help beat Florida State.
Beat the twerps tomorrow Duke ladies and get that trophy.:)

roywhite
07-11-2009, 05:28 PM
http://fullcourt.ehclients.com/index.php/news_articles/view/facing_life_after_basketball_dukes_abby_waner_migh t_have_been_cut_but_isnt_/

Abby has been cut, and is looking at life after basketball. Not an easy adjustment; I hope she gets a chance in broadcasting.

4decadedukie
07-12-2009, 06:33 AM
http://fullcourt.ehclients.com/index.php/news_articles/view/facing_life_after_basketball_dukes_abby_waner_migh t_have_been_cut_but_isnt_/

Abby has been cut, and is looking at life after basketball. Not an easy adjustment; I hope she gets a chance in broadcasting.

I am sure she will, although that -- obviously -- is not her only option. I hope she'll consider television/cable as a local sports commentator, in addition to nationally syndicated basketball, to provide experience and documented performance. Abby has so many terrific attributes; I am certain she will do VERY well.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-12-2009, 08:54 AM
I am sure she will, although that -- obviously -- is not her only option. I hope she'll consider television/cable as a local sports commentator, in addition to nationally syndicated basketball, to provide experience and documented performance. Abby has so many terrific attributes; I am certain she will do VERY well.
Tom Suitor and Bob Holiday have both retired from WRAL. Their sports department is somewhat depleted.

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm betting she'll play in Israel, at least for a season. Several WNBA players do. Regardless of whether she continues her playing career, I'm positive we'll see her in the booth somewhere, but I would love if it weren't for women's basketball. She's done a few Duke football games for ESPN, and she has been on the sidelines for the men's bball team as well. She knows her sports, just needs to slow down on her delivery. (Sort of like her 3 pointers).

dukelifer
01-09-2010, 07:51 PM
She is doing the Men's Wake Miami game- not bad!

tbyers11
01-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Yeah, I noticed this too. Go Abby! I must admit that she already sounds more polished than Jason Williams did in his first season announcing.

sagegrouse
01-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Abdy did a good job -- I watched most of the second half. She had good opinions; wasn't the least bit shy; and never seemed to stumble across her words like most of us doing public speaking.

BTW, Miami won when McFarland and Aminu did an Alphonse-Gaston act over a defensive rebound with 40 seconds left, allowing Miami to grab the ball for an easy putback.

sagegrouse

CrazyCat
01-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Good for her. I know she is going to be awesome. If only we could have more people like her in the booth.

CameronBornAndBred
01-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I didn't get to watch, and it sounds like she did well. Her one problem for me was that she would speak to fast, has she slowed down? Hope she gets to do a Duke game this season!