PDA

View Full Version : Gridiron Playoff -- Redux

Jarhead
03-05-2009, 11:09 AM
This morning I noticed I small Associated Press item that pointed to this announcement from the Mountain West Conference (http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/mwc/graphics/pdfs/mwc-09-proposal.pdf). It seems that the MWC has proposed an eight team playoff to replace the present freakish system known as the BCS. This action by the conference (AIR FORCE, NEW MEXICO, UNLV, BYU, SAN DIEGO STATE, UTAH, COLORADO STATE, TCU, WYOMING) adds a pretty strong push to the slight nudge that President Obama gave to the idea a couple of months ago. As I've said I am all for it. I'll take it in small steps or all at once, either way. As long as we get there.

The the proposal is quite simple, and seems to give props to the existing bowl system. To the all of the people with whom I argue on this subject, this proposal supports me, not any of them. It is an eight team playoff starting the first weekend of January each year. My only disagreement is the eight team limitation. I would have 12 teams starting play in late December with the four top seeded teams getting a by in the first round. This could give more of the better Bowls a chance to participate. Once again, though, I'll take small steps to get there.

I also like the idea of a standard system to designate the conferences that get the automatic bids. It would adjust the list of qualified conferences based on the on-field performance vis a vis the other conferences in both the regular seaqson and in the post season. Seems fair to me. Oh, one other thing -- why does Notre Dame get such kid glove treatment? Let them join the Big Televen.

Acymetric
03-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree that there should be 12 teams instead of 8, but I'll gladly take 8 over what we have now. Truthfully I still favor 16 teams, but irrational opposition to that will keep it from every happening, 12 teams is probably the best case scenario.

I saw this on ESPN, and there as a poll attached to the article (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3952542). 90% in favor so far, but I bet this espn poll never makes sportscenter.

dukemath
03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Although it is a pretty good proposal, I love how the MWC has clearly presented a system that favors themselves. They point out that in 07-08, they had the highest winning percentage against the other BCS conferences. This makes the MWC a new member of the "BCS" conferences. Although I agree that the MWC has been a victim of the current system, I wonder if their proposal will not receive the consideration it should because the MWC has the most to gain from the proposal.

RPS
03-05-2009, 02:24 PM
As I've said I am all for it. I'll take it in small steps or all at once, either way. As long as we get there.I'll all for it too, in whatever form (I prefer a 16-team format). But I'm not holding my breath.

Under the current system, the BCS schools only have to share their bowl money (the vast majority of the total pot) with their fellows -- about half the overall teams -- instead of with the entire pool of D1 football schools. Even if we assume that a play-off would increase overall interest and thus income significantly (and I think it would), there's still no clear financial incentive to change the current system. It's all about the money (which explains why the college presidents talk about silly stuff like extending the season and missing class). It's horrible, but perfectly understandable.

Jarhead
03-05-2009, 11:21 PM
It's making a few headlines, and getting some attention, but not on this forum. Maybe it's just not the season. Too bad. This topic begs for discussion, but that would probably expose some of the irrational opposition to new ideas, just to protect vested interests in the status quo. Without discussion of this issue the top level of college football will continue to be the only level of team sports anywhere that does not have a playoff system. The power brokers are against it, so ...