PDA

View Full Version : "The Shot" Commercial

Jfrosh
03-05-2009, 10:42 AM
The Laettner/Pitino commercial linked on the main page is one of my all time favorite commercials. I love the kid in the headband doing his best Thomas Hill imitation.

Kewlswim
03-05-2009, 12:30 PM
...too bad the product has so many calories. I have to keep in shape.:D

GO DUKE!!

bfree
03-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Not as good as the Sony ad with the dolls or the Chris Farley ad.

Those were great!

Stray Gator
03-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm guessing that sales of this product in the Commonwealth of Kentucky will be anemic, at best.

KenTankerous
03-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Even as a UK fan, I think it's funny.

JG Nothing
03-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm guessing that sales of this product in the Commonwealth of Kentucky will be anemic, at best.

Of course, the UK plunge in sales may be somewhat offset by increased sales to Louisville fans. ;) Great commerical. I love the cell phone ringer and microwave buzzer going off. I thought Laettner and Pitino both pulled it off well.

zingit
03-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Even as a UK fan, I think it's funny.

Yeah, I didn't think it was that bad from a Kentucky point of view. In a way it's kind of mocking Laettner, showing him as cocky and living off his one great moment. (Although Duke fans know he had a lot more great moments than just that one.) But it's funny. It's nice that Laettner is willing to poke fun at himself, if you can consider reliving one of your finest moments poking fun at yourself.

_Gary
03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah, no one on either side of the fence should be too disagreeable with this ad. It kinda zings everyone, and it is funny. Frankly, they gave Pitino the best line of the entire thing. Anybody (Duke fan, Kentucky fan, fan of neither school) and everybody should be able to laugh at this one.

Gary

flyingdutchdevil
03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Along with the MJ commercial where the middle/high school students emulate his moves, this commercial has the BEST music!!!!! I couldn't stop laughing

DukeFencer
03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know if that was actually Laettner's wife?

Aziggazoomba
03-06-2009, 04:28 PM
No one cares what a Tar Heel fan thinks about it, but I think it was a really good ad and very funny.

I also saw CL on Jim Rome the other day, and though (like a lot of Carolina folks) I have always thought CL to be one of the vilest and most despicable sorts of all time, I thought he was fairly likeable. The one point at which I tended the other way was when he suggested (and seriously, I think) that he could get a good head coaching gig in the NBA without having to earn his stripes as an assistant or anything (i.e., just have a position handed to him).

Good luck with that, big fella.

Bostondevil
03-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Hey Aziggazoomba, we already know what all of y'all think of Laettner, give it a rest.

(Dude graduated 17 years ago.)

Aziggazoomba
03-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Hey Aziggazoomba, we already know what all of y'all think of Laettner, give it a rest.

I think you missed the point. Or maybe I wasn't clear.

Good ad. And Laettner made a good impression on Rome (even from a Tar Heel's P.O.V.).

Bostondevil
03-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Nah, you did, wondered if you'd get the joke.

Do you now?

Bostondevil
03-06-2009, 05:36 PM
But I'm happy Laettner finally made a good impression on you.

I've always said there is no way to be the best unless you believe you are the best. And when you believe you are the best, many people will think you are an (word I can't say on DBR). Laettner is exhibit A. The best at being a true competitive (word I can't say on DBR) but somehow getting everybody to like him anyway was Michael Jordan. I will hand it to him. Even I sometimes liked Mike. But only after he left UNC.

DukePA's Mom
03-06-2009, 05:37 PM

Maybe he can't get past 2 seasons. '91 and '92. Ho hum, sad to let the past eat at you. Theres nothing anyone can do or say to change it.

Aziggazoomba
03-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Nah, you did, wondered if you'd get the joke.

Do you now?

Ah, yes, I see.....good one!

Bostondevil
03-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Thank you.