PDA

View Full Version : The Fall of Kentucky

BlueintheFace
03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Kentucky LOST to Georgia (the worst team in the SEC) at home ON SENIOR NIGHT. They will now need to beat Florida at home AND probably win the SEC tournament to make the tournament. Billy G led the Wildcats to #11 seed and first round exit in the tournament last year. Kentucky has officially fallen off the bubble!

Here are some Relevant Facts (In the interest of humor)

- Kentucky hasn't missed the tourney since 1990-1991 season when they were on probation.

- Kentucky is the winningest program in college basketball history

- Recruit Patrick Patterson spurned Duke for Kentucky and Billy G

- Kentucky fans are freaking crazy!!! (http://www.catspause.com)

Sidenote: Indiana won just one conference game this year.

The Basketball world is upside down this year. What a huge basketball story!

Lavabe
03-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Should make for some interesting conversations when I walk my dog, Georgia, while I wear my Duke hoodie!:D:D:D

mus074
03-05-2009, 12:28 AM
you're a cats fan. I live in Louisville and went to UK for grad school. I'm not convinced its as bad as all that. I mean, the far bigger issue here is the fact that the Cats last went to the Final Four in 1998. More than 10 years ago. Hard to fall from the sky when you haven't left the ground in a while.

But take heart. The pundits will in fact make the same arguments you just recited when UK misses the tourney. But no such argument or attention was given to UConn's recent absence. :cool: They aren't as relevant as they would have you believe.

BlueintheFace
03-05-2009, 12:38 AM
you're a cats fan. I live in Louisville and went to UK for grad school. I'm not convinced its as bad as all that. I mean, the far bigger issue here is the fact that the Cats last went to the Final Four in 1998. More than 10 years ago. Hard to fall from the sky when you haven't left the ground in a while.

But take heart. The pundits will in fact make the same arguments you just recited when UK misses the tourney. But no such argument or attention was given to UConn's recent absence. :cool: They aren't as relevant as they would have you believe.

yah, but not making the tourney is a huge deal. It would mean that they aren't even relevant in MArch... at all.

Also, by Florida at home I meant Florida on the road...

mus074
03-05-2009, 12:45 AM
yah, but not making the tourney is a huge deal. It would mean that they aren't even relevant in MArch... at all.

Also, by Florida at home I meant Florida on the road...

Well, they can drop that one too if they pull a UGa and win the SEC tourney. The SEC is ripe for a lower seed final appearance again, and UK could be the team to pull it off and earn a dance ticket. Everyone in the conference can lose on a given night.

But then again, Billy G might enjoy an NIT run. If he thinks the coeds dig it.

Uncle Drew
03-05-2009, 02:49 AM
Kentucky LOST to Georgia (the worst team in the SEC) at home ON SENIOR NIGHT. They will now need to beat Florida at home AND probably win the SEC tournament to make the tournament. Billy G led the Wildcats to #11 seed and first round exit in the tournament last year. Kentucky has officially fallen off the bubble!

- Kentucky hasn't missed the tourney since 1990-1991 season when they were on probation.

I was looking at top 25 rankings and RPI rankings earlier tonight. I knew the SEC was down this season but man are they DOWN. One team in the top 25 (LSU) and just two in RPI top 25 (LSU, Tennessee). And one has to imagine how bad it could be for Kentucky if this were an "up" year in the SEC. I haven't heard what the predictions are for SEC bids to the NCAAT but it has to be low.

Oh and pointing out Patterson and how he teased Duke then took Kentucky to the prom. I really can't say I hate Kentucky all that much, but the PP thing truly makes me glad they will almost certainly miss the big dance. But I have to also say even with Georgetown's high strength of schedule, with their win loss total......well I just don't see it. After supposably leading for Greg Monroe and then being spurned without even taking a visit to the Duke campus. Well some would say it's wrong to take joy in others failures but to Patterson and Monroe, "you chose poorly, that is not the cup of a carpenter". :D

RelativeWays
03-05-2009, 07:36 AM
You want Monroe and Patterson to age rapidly only to crumble into dust? Ruthless :) I don't know about PP, but Monroe is supposedly gone after this year. So we're about 3 weeks from not really giving a crap what he chose.

rthomas
03-05-2009, 07:40 AM

One other relevant fact that you missed: Kentucky fans ran a very good coach out of town. And then hired a not so good coach.

KyDevilinIL
03-05-2009, 08:20 AM
While I enjoy piling on the UK trainwreck as much as anyone (the fans simply bring it on themselves), I strongly caution against going overboard with the trash talking.

As much as I hope UK remains irrelevant for as long as possible, it's important to remember that since Rupp, only two head coaches (Sutton and so far Gillispie) have failed to win a national championship while at the school. That's more than a half century of fairly consistent excellence under all sorts of different leadership, and perhaps no other program can match it.

Kentucky has gone through rough patches before, and Kentucky always bounces back. It's the curse of those of us who hate UK basketball with deep, raging passion – UK always bounces back. Somehow, someway, UK's sinking ship will be saved.

Until then, though, please continue to make fun. Heaven knows these people need a healthy dose of humility.

JasonEvans
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Ummmm, they do not need to beat Florida and win the SEC tourney. All they need to do is win the SEC tourney to make the NCAAs. Winning the SEC gives you an automatic bid, just ask Georgia.

That said, I think you were saying Kentucky needed wins in the SEC tourney to make the dance. I agree. With a game left at Florida and then the SEC tourney, I think Kentucky needs to find its way to at least 2 more victories to have good shot at a bubble bid.

Kentucky's RPI is currently in the 70s-- not good. They have 19 wins, but even with 20 wins their resume is not going to look all that good. They now have a loss to Georgia on their resume and Georgia is among the lowest rated of all the major conference teams (#296 in the RPI before last night-- awful!). Kentucky does have nice wins over Tennessee and West Virginia on their resume, but not much else. 9 of their wins have come against teams rated 200 or lower in the RPI and those almost should not count.

But, as so many folks have pointed out, the SEC is full of mediocrity this year and some mid-level team will probably make a run to at least the finals and get a bid as a result. Kentucky is as good a candidate as anyone-- and with their history of SEC tourney success -- would be the most likely choice to have the poise and confidence to actually do it.

--Jason "Billy Clyde has some nice recruits coming in this fall and next-- but the word is that Patterson and Meeks are likely to flee to the NBA this summer" Evans

KenTankerous
03-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Watching that game last night was painful! Reading the dribble and tripe from my fellow UK fans on catpause, however, is just shameful. Most continue to blame Tubby - pathetic. I was always a fan of Tubby and wish he would have gotten the same love and support from the administration and fans as Pitino.

Billy Clyde does have some good recruits coming so I am not ready to pull the plug on him just yet. But if he doesn't start developing his young guys and find some consistency, he won't last another year.

And as much as I hate to say it, without the automatic SEC tournament bid, Kentucky has no place in the field of the best 65 teams in the country right now.

yancem
03-05-2009, 09:06 AM
I was looking at top 25 rankings and RPI rankings earlier tonight. I knew the SEC was down this season but man are they DOWN. One team in the top 25 (LSU) and just two in RPI top 25 (LSU, Tennessee). And one has to imagine how bad it could be for Kentucky if this were an "up" year in the SEC. I haven't heard what the predictions are for SEC bids to the NCAAT but it has to be low.

Oh and pointing out Patterson and how he teased Duke then took Kentucky to the prom. I really can't say I hate Kentucky all that much, but the PP thing truly makes me glad they will almost certainly miss the big dance. But I have to also say even with Georgetown's high strength of schedule, with their win loss total......well I just don't see it. After supposably leading for Greg Monroe and then being spurned without even taking a visit to the Duke campus. Well some would say it's wrong to take joy in others failures but to Patterson and Monroe, "you chose poorly, that is not the cup of a carpenter". :D

I started a thread about Patterson and Monroe possibly taking the Duke curse to new level. Patterson fairly clearly led Duke on to added attention/press only to sign with storied Kentucky. In his two years Kentucky has slid pretty far. Monore, I don't think, led Duke on in the same manner as Patterson but I thought it very odd that Duke, who seemed to be one of his favorites, didn't even get a visit. Now Georgetown, another storied program and preseason top 10, is in the midst of one of its worst seasons in a while.

Now if Florida struggles next year with Boynton, we'll know that I'm on to something. Duke was supposed to be his top choice for much of his recruitment and he, like Monroe, never even canceled his visit.

miramar
03-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I started a thread about Patterson and Monroe possibly taking the Duke curse to new level. Patterson fairly clearly led Duke on to added attention/press only to sign with storied Kentucky. In his two years Kentucky has slid pretty far. Monore, I don't think, led Duke on in the same manner as Patterson but I thought it very odd that Duke, who seemed to be one of his favorites, didn't even get a visit. Now Georgetown, another storied program and preseason top 10, is in the midst of one of its worst seasons in a while.

Now if Florida struggles next year with Boynton, we'll know that I'm on to something. Duke was supposed to be his top choice for much of his recruitment and he, like Monroe, never even canceled his visit.

The sad case of Shaun Livingston might be the worst example of the Duke curse. He played a total of 149 games in an injury-plagued career and is now out of the league, which is a shame.

moonpie23
03-05-2009, 09:48 AM
The sad case of Shaun Livingston might be the worst example of the Duke curse. He played a total of 149 games in an injury-plagued career and is now out of the league, which is a shame.

without. The injury,tho, shawn was showing exactly why he jumped to the NBA. (notice I didn't say spurned duke)

BlueintheFace
03-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Ummmm, they do not need to beat Florida and win the SEC tourney. All they need to do is win the SEC tourney to make the NCAAs. Winning the SEC gives you an automatic bid, just ask Georgia.

True, I had it in my mind that they just couldn't lose any more games.... still

DukePA's Mom
03-05-2009, 10:00 AM
One other relevant fact that you missed: Kentucky fans ran a very good coach out of town. And then hired a not so good coach.

You've got that right. I can only guess why they ran Tubbie out. I really like him and the way he ran ky"s program. He's a class coach and person. Guess ky fans prefer the pitino type.

Uncle Drew
03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
without. The injury,tho, shawn was showing exactly why he jumped to the NBA. (notice I didn't say spurned duke)

Having seen Shawn play healthy in the NBA I can see how we could have used his playmaking abilities if only for one season. But even if he had come to Duke and stayed four years I can't see where he would have bulked up too much. And his outside shot to my knowledge was never deadly. Shawns' draft stock would have never been higher than it was when he bolted IMO. And I think the same is probablt ture of JR Smith, I just wish he had taken Marvin Williams with him.

We know Patterson led Duke on. I could say recruiting experts led Duke fans on about Monroe, but they were just reporting from what they had learned and gut feelings. I honestly don't think Monroe took his visit to Georgetown with the intention of giving them a verbal that weekend. THAT is what has always confused me about it and I never have heard anyone explain. What did they tell him that made Georgetown look so good or make Duke look like second best without even taking a visit? :rolleyes:

Uncle Drew
03-05-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm sorry for double posting, but if you haven't gone and looked at the UK message boards and what their fans are saying, GO.....LOOK. They are brutal. Half are saying it's Tubby's fault, that he left the program that far down when he left. The other half are blaming BG, saying he has lost all control and has thrown his own team under the bus.

I know it's been a while since Duke was in a Final Four and we are some of the most spoiled college basketball fans on earth. I don't think we would get that brutal if the mods actually let us, but I could be wrong. I honestly feel sorry for the fans because they feel like a lot of us felt in the 1995 season only worse. I've never hated Kentucky, regardless of what they feel about Duke. (Can't blame them having to watch "the shot" every March over and over again.) Truth be told in economic times like this, it's nice to have sports as a distraction. But unless you're a Cardinals fan inthe state of Kentucky, these have to seem like really low times. I mean even if Duke doesn't beat UNC Sunday there is still hope, which it seems like UK fans are losing or have lost. But hey I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan......and we dumped TO yesterday, there is always hope! Wooo Hoooo!

Wander
03-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Kentucky is done, and Florida ain't so far behind (lost to MSU last night). I don't think the SEC is any better than the A-10 this year.

With Virginia Tech and Miami also choking away bids and Notre Dame and Georgetown officially dead, it's time to start giving really serious consideration to the Niagaras and Rhode Islands of the country.

77devil
03-05-2009, 10:54 AM
It will be interesting to see how many bids the SEC receives to the Big Dance. More than 2 would be the result of BCS conference bias and past reputation IMO. The SOS, except for Tennessee is abismal, particularly non conference. If LSU wins the SEC tournament and Florida, Tennessee and South Carolina exit early, one could make a strong argument that the SEC only deserves one bid. It's not a likely scenario.

Feinstein made a great point about footbal oriented BCS league expansions and the negative impact on basketball. The SEC would seem to be exhibit A, and there is no denying the data that the ACC has experienced less NCAA tournament success since expansion. Coincidence? We'll have to wait and see.

allenmurray
03-05-2009, 11:06 AM
With all of the consternation in KY land, once the Laettner-Oitino commerical debuts, the average KY fan will look like this

moonpie23
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM
are we seeing the rise of SOUTH CAROLINA as a BASKETBALL power in the SEC?

KyDevilinIL
03-05-2009, 11:25 AM

No. Horn got that job out of sheer luck - had Ty Rogers not hit that shot against Drake, Horn would still be at Western Kentucky. And Horn was on the hot seat at WKU before last season. He wasn't exactly tearing it up down here in the dog-bottom Sun Belt.

South Carolina has Devan Downey and it plays this season in a horrid SEC. Once Downey goes, I'm not too confident Horn maintains this level of success.

DukeBlood
03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Don't get too excited. It's nice to enjoy Kentucky most likely going to the NIT, Unless they run the SEC. I don't think a Florida win, and making it to the SEC championship game will be enough. Win and their in, lose and their out.

As far as next year, They could be a the favorites in the SEC. Patrick Patterson along with one of the best incoming Freshman in Daniel Orton. Along with Perry Stevenson would make their front court the best in the SEC. Jodie Meeks would be even better and they have a decent shooting guard/small forward coming in by the name of Jon Hood. He can really light up the nets if hes hot.

On the flipside, Patterson and Meeks go pro and they are looking at having a pretty poor looking season. The SEC should be improved next year. Florida will be a year older and replace a average senior with one of the best incoming guards in Kenny Boynton. They have 2 decent big men coming in who may or may not be ready to contribute in Erik Murphy and DeShawn Painter. Tennessee should be the favorites along with Florida. The Vols lose no one of importance but their now Freshman should really take over next year, or atleast Scotty Hopson.

Obviously too many unknowns at this point. It really depends on who goes or who stays for Kentucky. As of right now, I dont see anyone leaving from Tennessee or Florida.

roywhite
03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Kentucky will eventually get back to the top, even it means replacing this coach and one or two more. The fans simply demand it.

We've seen their fanbase in action; certainly those that have spent time in the Commonwealth will testify to their fanatical devotion. Just checked catspause, their internet board. They had 3542 fans online! Of course, they're still short of the record, 16,011 when Tubby left.

FireOgilvie
03-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Kentucky will eventually get back to the top, even it means replacing this coach and one or two more. The fans simply demand it.

We've seen their fanbase in action; certainly those that have spent time in the Commonwealth will testify to their fanatical devotion. Just checked catspause, their internet board. They had 3542 fans online! Of course, they're still short of the record, 16,011 when Tubby left.

The turnaround on threads on their message board is insane. Their top 50 threads had been replied to in the last 25 minutes. DBR's top 50 is about 28 hours. I like DBR better...

Coaching at Kentucky seems like a "no win" situation to me. You win and the fans say, "Of course we won, we're Kentucky." But if you don't win ENOUGH, you have an entire state of crazed fans that want you out. Duke was pretty good before Coach K, but most of the success has been because of him. I'd imagine it's a completely different kind of pressure for him.

Olympic Fan
03-05-2009, 01:55 PM

The author William Mead, writing about how the St. Louis Browns won the 1944 AL pennant, used the image of a dead stump at the bottom of a lake. His point was that the '44 Browns were the same inept team that had always finished in the AL second division -- it was just that war-time dilution of talent lowered the level of the lake so far that the stump was finally exposed.

That image could also be applied to South Carolina. The Gamecocks have not beaten a top 50 team this season and (according to Jerry Palm) have not beaten a single team -- even a small conference qualifier -- that is likely to be in the NCAA field. It's just that the SEC is so bad -- the level of the lake is so low -- that the dead stump that is South Carolina basketball is now exposed.

Palm, whose projections are usually pretty accurate, does not have the Cocks in the field. In fact, as of this morning, he had two SEC teams -- Tennessee and LSU (and they just lost last night two).

The last two-three days have been devastating for bubble teams. Kentucky ... Florida ... Miami ... Cincinnati ... Providence ... Virginia Tech ...

It's so bad that Palm still has Maryland in ... and Miami remains one of his last four out!

JG Nothing
03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
One other relevant fact that you missed: Kentucky fans ran a very good coach out of town.

True, but how many Duke fans would be satisfied with a coach who did not deliver a Final Four appearance for almost ten consecutive years?

sandinmyshoes
03-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I am torn in wanting UK to lose, weighed against the fact that since Roy Williams returned to UNC they've been steadily gaining on the all time wins list. The last thing we need is one more thing for UNC fans to brag about, and raise a banner over.

So, I've decided that UK not making the NCAA but picking up a few NIT wins is the best case scenario.

blueprofessor
03-05-2009, 03:14 PM
The turnaround on threads on their message board is insane. Their top 50 threads had been replied to in the last 25 minutes. DBR's top 50 is about 28 hours. I like DBR better...

....it is a frenzied moment in 'Cat(ty) comments.:)

Best--Blueprof:)

hurleyfor3
03-05-2009, 03:34 PM

And the real shock is, none of them have to do with Duke. They're too busy hating themselves to hate us.

throatybeard
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Feinstein made a great point about football oriented BCS league expansions and the negative impact on basketball. The SEC would seem to be exhibit A, and there is no denying the data that the ACC has experienced less NCAA tournament success since expansion. Coincidence? We'll have to wait and see.

That's not a "great point." It demonstrates that Feinstein is either ignorant or [willfully, given his continued hyperventilation about expansion] illogical.

The SEC expanded in 1991. The schools they added at that time were Arkansas and South Carolina. Arkansas was a top program in BB that decade, so they improved the conference in BB. At least until they ran Richardson out. South Carolina is a mixed bag, but they did win a couple NIT titles under Odom and were a top 10 team one or two years under Fogler. They certainly haven't damaged SEC BB.

Despite not being a basketball conference, since that time the SEC has won five NCAA MBB titles in seventeen seasons. (UK twice, Arkansas once, UF twice). All three of those schools also made FFs that they didn't win, some multiple times. Additionally, Mississippi State went to their only FF in history after expansion. LSU has gone to the FF since expansion. UT MBB has been better since expansion, though they're never great. Even UT and Bama have made region finals, which isn't something they normally do.

And that's not even dealing with the fact that the SEC has long been a powerhouse in WBB.

The SEC is down this year because their schools who are best at BB are down. Not becuase they added USC and Arkansas. If anything, adding Arkansas improved them in BB.

ETA: Duke fans gloating over someone else's sky-high level of entitlement is like if Maryland fans were complaining about someone else's crowd being out of hand.

BD80
03-05-2009, 05:03 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9296102/Gillispie-just-not-cutting-it-at-Kentucky

Ouch. Not much original thought, the article just compiles the complaints. Not pretty.

Lavabe
03-05-2009, 05:49 PM
ETA: Duke fans gloating over someone else's sky-high level of entitlement is like if Maryland fans were complaining about someone else's crowd being out of hand.

Whatever. All I know is it was a VERY nice day here in Lexington. I had fun calling out on the dog walk, HERE GEORGIA!!:D

Say... where is ugadevil?:confused:

-bdbd
03-05-2009, 07:00 PM

My understanding with Monroe was that he was a Duke fan as a kid -- a sound-bite that some gurus latched onto as meaning Duke led. I suspect we were way up there, but in effect got out-recruited. It happens. Coaches ALWAYS try very hard to get the first official visit once the window opens -- recall the story of Billy Donovan being upset that Duke was able to beat him to getting the first in-home scheduled with Boynton, and he then "showed up" in Boynton's HS Coach's office very early that morning (K and staff were coming to his home that evening, but Donovan not until the second night) just to get in the first jab nonetheless.) And I presume as a coach you try to get the early commitment before he sees the competition, with any recruit (which Duke has done successfully more than once).

In Monroe's case, he also disappointed several other schools with which he'd scheduled visits already in subsequent weekends -- so not just Duke was disappointed at what might be termed an "impulsive" decision. If it were my son, I'd tell him to make sure he took all of his visits and did all of his research prior to deciding. But heck, you're dealing with boys only 16, 17 and 18 years old. Its understandable.

As I understood it, UF was #2 on Patterson's list. So we may not have been as close as we thought. If he truly "led us on," then my opinion of him drops.

Lastly, I never wish ill of these kids who go elsewhere. Look, if we were one of their top 2-3, then the kid can't be all bad (at all!), and certainly better than the kids who never even considered us... And obviously K and staff thought highly enough of him to invest tons of time, interest and money. So, again, obviously not a bad kid.

Just my $0.02

BDBD

77devil
03-05-2009, 08:15 PM
That's not a "great point." It demonstrates that Feinstein is either ignorant or [willfully, given his continued hyperventilation about expansion] illogical.

The SEC expanded in 1991. The schools they added at that time were Arkansas and South Carolina. Arkansas was a top program in BB that decade, so they improved the conference in BB. At least until they ran Richardson out. South Carolina is a mixed bag, but they did win a couple NIT titles under Odom and were a top 10 team one or two years under Fogler. They certainly haven't damaged SEC BB.

Despite not being a basketball conference, since that time the SEC has won five NCAA MBB titles in seventeen seasons. (UK twice, Arkansas once, UF twice). All three of those schools also made FFs that they didn't win, some multiple times. Additionally, Mississippi State went to their only FF in history after expansion. LSU has gone to the FF since expansion. UT MBB has been better since expansion, though they're never great. Even UT and Bama have made region finals, which isn't something they normally do.

And that's not even dealing with the fact that the SEC has long been a powerhouse in WBB.

The SEC is down this year because their schools who are best at BB are down. Not becuase they added USC and Arkansas. If anything, adding Arkansas improved them in BB.

To be fair to John, his direct response on ACC expansion in relation to the SEC was about probation.

"I think the model they were chasing was to make money, because the presidents are glorified fundraisers. I would hope their model wasn’t to be the SEC, because every school in the SEC has been on probation in one sport or another over the last 20 years except Vanderbilt."

What is inarguable is that ACC performance in the NCAA basketball tournament has been below par since the expansion four years ago. As I wrote previously, it may be coincidence but we'll have to wait for more data.

burnspbesq
03-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Kentucky is done, and Florida ain't so far behind (lost to MSU last night). I don't think the SEC is any better than the A-10 this year.

With Virginia Tech and Miami also choking away bids and Notre Dame and Georgetown officially dead, it's time to start giving really serious consideration to the Niagaras and Rhode Islands of the country.

Not to mention St. Mary's (and Davidson if they somehow contrive to lose in the SoCon tournament). Admit it, the one matchup you'd really, really like to see is Patty Mills vs. Steph Curry.

TheDukeCreed
03-07-2009, 05:20 PM
They should change their name to The KittyCats. They just lost to Florida. :D

BlueintheFace
03-07-2009, 05:44 PM
60-53 Florida. The funny thing is, the SEC is so weak that Kentucky might actually be able to roll through the tournament with a bit of luck...

Still, it is just sad/humorous

Indoor66
03-07-2009, 05:44 PM
They should change their name to The KittyCats. They just lost to Florida. :D

Maybe Kat Litter?

BlueintheFace
03-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Here's how you know your team has hit the skids....

A SIGNIFICANT segment of your fan base is calling for Calipari to be your next head coach!

blueprofessor
03-08-2009, 10:40 AM
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2009903080494

Truth serum injected....interrogation has begun.

Set the clocks in Lexington back, way back!:)

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

BlueintheFace
03-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Dana O'Neil has a behind the scenes story from the Georgia loss to the Florida loss to finish off this season. Rumor is, her access was supposed to be a lot more extensive, but things changed when the losing started...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=3967418

roywhite
03-10-2009, 08:22 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/720944.html

And the 'Cats are under-achieving while having two 1st Team All-SEC players, Meeks and Patterson. (for some reason, they named 7 players to the first team).

Read somewhere the other day that if Kentucky goes to the NIT, they may have a scheduling conflict with the Kentucky State High School Sweet 16 Tournament, and would likely have to play someplace other than Rupp Arena. That'll draw some comments.

FireOgilvie
03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/720944.html

And the 'Cats are under-achieving while having two 1st Team All-SEC players, Meeks and Patterson. (for some reason, they named 7 players to the first team).

Read somewhere the other day that if Kentucky goes to the NIT, they may have a scheduling conflict with the Kentucky State High School Sweet 16 Tournament, and would likely have to play someplace other than Rupp Arena. That'll draw some comments.

Actually 8 players.... I don't get it. Why not 5?

BlueintheFace
03-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Catspause hit 12,000 tonight and so called "experts" in the industry like Davis at SI and Goodman at Foxsports think BCG is gone. Many also believe that Donovan is going to be making the leap...

Who knows... one possibility that was brought up to me today..... If Billy Donovan makes the move to Kentucky, UVA, or any other opening, his 2009 recruits (Read- Kenny Boynton) might have an interesting decision on his hands (a boy can only dream)

BD80
03-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Catspause hit 12,000 tonight and so called "experts" in the industry like Davis at SI and Goodman at Foxsports think BCG is gone. Many also believe that Donovan is going to be making the leap...

Who knows... one possibility that was brought up to me today..... If Billy Donovan makes the move to Kentucky, UVA, or any other opening, his 2009 recruits (Read- Kenny Boynton) might have an interesting decision on his hands (a boy can only dream)

Naw, we couldn't get that lucky.

Two years in a row.

Could we?

dukeballer2294
03-26-2009, 01:57 AM
I understand the fact that people are not happy with him in Kentucky but in MBB it takes 3/4 years for a coach to settle in get his players and his system down. Kentucky immo made a bad decesion in letting Tubby Smith go (look at what he has done in Minnesota in 2 years) but i think BG will get the job done. They lost recruits after firing Smith and hes has some good players coming in now like Daniel Orton. This team could and will be much better if BG stays. I would like to see Kentucky go into a slump and I think they will if they get a new coach because it will take that coach 2/4 years to get his players in and his system. Dont be like Notre Dame and just fire and hire every year. Wait coaches are investments not lotteries.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-26-2009, 02:14 AM
I am of the opinion that when Kentucky is good it makes the game better. Same goes for Indiana. I want all of these programs to be good, even if we may lose a recruit here and there to them. That includes N.C. State, remember the ACC when they were good? It definatly adds to the enjoyment of the game.

So figure something out Kentucky College Basketball needs you.

plus they have a game with UNC every year lately would be nice if they actually had a chance to win.

Airforcedukie

RepoMan
03-26-2009, 09:36 AM
I understand the fact that people are not happy with him in Kentucky but in MBB it takes 3/4 years for a coach to settle in get his players and his system down. Kentucky immo made a bad decesion in letting Tubby Smith go (look at what he has done in Minnesota in 2 years) but i think BG will get the job done. They lost recruits after firing Smith and hes has some good players coming in now like Daniel Orton. This team could and will be much better if BG stays. I would like to see Kentucky go into a slump and I think they will if they get a new coach because it will take that coach 2/4 years to get his players in and his system. Dont be like Notre Dame and just fire and hire every year. Wait coaches are investments not lotteries.

I don't agree. Look what happened when Roy came to UNC. A good coach can make an immediate impact, depending on the existing talent.

I thought Kentucky could do better when they hired Gillespie, and I still do.

moonpie23
03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't agree. Look what happened when Roy came to UNC. A good coach can make an immediate impact, depending on the existing talent.

I thought Kentucky could do better when they hired Gillespie, and I still do.

well, unc would most probably be the exception to the rule, only because there was a title team basically there.....

remember, roy only CO-OWNS a title.....he was loaded at KS many times and could not get it done, and continues to show that he has YET to get it done with his own players.

all that being said.......BOBBY KNIGHT TO NC STATE would reallllllly whip up the BB frenzy here in the triangle..

geraldsneighbor
03-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Donovan to Kentucky. Grant to Florida. Could we see some kids opting out of their LOI at Florida?

Cameron
03-26-2009, 11:24 AM
I think Kentucky firing Gillespie -- which it will -- has a lot more to do with his attitude and behavior than it does with just wins and losses. People in the Commonwealth are not happy with his boorish antics, especially considering he's won nothing -- and lost, in Rupp, to teams that Kentucky has never lost to before, teams like Gardner Webb, Virginia Military Institute, and Houston. If you're Bobby Knight, and are winning and are a legend, then, fine, maybe your cocky, arrogant, and loutish behavior with fans, the media, etc. can be overlooked. (I love Bobby Knight, BTW.)

Not at Kentucky, though, not when you've done absolutely nothing, save for taking the program to its first NIT appearance in 20 some years, losing in the SEC Tournament quarter finals for the second straight season, losing 14 games in a single season, the most in decades.

Gillespie will turn out all right. He'll go on and win big somewhere, and probably make a Final Four one day. But he just wasn't the right fit in the fishbowl that is Kentucky Basketball. That type of spotlight is only for a select few, and he ain't one of them.

Goodbye, Billy.

Reports have said that the university has really went after Pitino in the last few weeks, which makes it even more obvious that, no matter what Billy G did to end this season, he was out the door all along. What a story that would be if Rick said yes. Yikes! UK would be back in a heartbeat.

I doubt that happens, though. Rick's been there, done that.

Cameron
03-26-2009, 11:36 AM
I thought I would share the information that a UK fan just enlightened me with, which would be rather significant in ACC Country if factual.

Per Wildcat insider sites, Gillespie is already in negotiations with North Carolina State, and could be heading there within weeks. Whether or not this is all just hot water steaming over in the midst of another Lexington circus, I really don't know. But, this would be a big move in ACC Country, as I think Billy G, without the added pressure of a basketball Rome, could turn the lost Tobacco Road cousin back into a national power.

Could be an interesting off season.

If true, you still have that ally-oop win, Sidney.

cspan37421
03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
I'd like to play (Blue) Devil's advocate. Why should it necessarily be the case that the college BB game is better when traditional powers are good? Why would it be undesirable to have some fluidity at the top, over time? To me, the game would be quite stale if the final four were almost always (and only) drawn from UNC, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, UCLA, Duke.

To me, new stories and fresh faces are the lifeblood of the tournament. Of course, I prefer to see Duke win as much as possible, but if a title went to Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Clemson, Purdue, Washington - at the expense of some other legendary programs, I just can't see that as a detriment at all. JMO.

Tjenkins
03-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I think Travis Ford would be a great pick for the UK job. I lived in Kentucky when he played there, he was a very popular player and understands that it's unlike any other coaching job in the country. Plus,he's already taken two schools to the NCAA tournament(OSU,Eastern Kentucky).

bgibbs1001
03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I thought I would share the information that a UK fan just enlightened me with, which would be rather significant in ACC Country if factual.

Per Wildcat insider sites, Gillespie is already in negotiations with North Carolina State, and could be heading there within weeks. Whether or not this is all just hot water steaming over in the midst of another Lexington circus, I really don't know. But, this would be a big move in ACC Country, as I think Billy G, without the added pressure of a basketball Rome, could turn the lost Tobacco Road cousin back into a national power.

Billy G at NC STATE. They might as well have kept Herb Sendek. I do not see any difference.

cspan37421
03-26-2009, 12:23 PM
did Billy ever sign his contract at UK?

davekay1971
03-26-2009, 12:26 PM

As a NCSU fan, I really, really hope this is not true.

jjasper0729
03-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I think Travis Ford would be a great pick for the UK job. I lived in Kentucky when he played there, he was a very popular player and understands that it's unlike any other coaching job in the country. Plus,he's already taken two schools to the NCAA tournament(OSU,Eastern Kentucky).

from the sporting news (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=531722):

"Should Gillispie be let go, Kentucky could make an attempt to hire Florida coach Billy Donovan, but Travis Ford of Oklahoma State may be the more realistic candidate, the Louisville Courier-Journal speculates. "

the only thing about that I wonder is if t. boone will open the pockets up for basketball as he did for football and try to keep ford

geraldsneighbor
03-26-2009, 12:31 PM
I think Kentucky firing Gillespie -- which it will -- has a lot more to do with his attitude and behavior than it does with just wins and losses. People in the Commonwealth are not happy with his boorish antics, especially considering he's won nothing -- and lost, in Rupp, to teams that Kentucky has never lost to before, teams like Gardner Webb, Virginia Military Institute, and Houston. If you're Bobby Knight, and are winning and are a legend, then, fine, maybe your cocky, arrogant, and loutish behavior with fans, the media, etc. can be overlooked. (I love Bobby Knight, BTW.)

Not at Kentucky, though, not when you've done absolutely nothing, save for taking the program to its first NIT appearance in 20 some years, losing in the SEC Tournament quarter finals for the second straight season, losing 14 games in a single season, the most in decades.

Gillespie will turn out all right. He'll go on and win big somewhere, and probably make a Final Four one day. But he just wasn't the right fit in the fishbowl that is Kentucky Basketball. That type of spotlight is only for a select few, and he ain't one of them.

Goodbye, Billy.

Reports have said that the university has really went after Pitino in the last few weeks, which makes it even more obvious that, no matter what Billy G did to end this season, he was out the door all along. What a story that would be if Rick said yes. Yikes! UK would be back in a heartbeat.

I doubt that happens, though. Rick's been there, done that.

Starting with that 6 million dollar buyout he will get...yes he will be okay.

mus074
03-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Basketball:Football

UK:ND

roywhite
03-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Basketball:Football

UK:ND

Yes and no. Pressure, fanatical following...yes

Notre Dame seems to have more concern with academics for student/athletes and is more concerned about rules and avoiding scandals (though they've had a few).

Kentucky---we don't really care how you win; just win.

Just my opinion. I don't mind seeing either program losing a few, but ultimately it helps the sport to have strong programs at each location.

CameronBornAndBred
03-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Donovan to Kentucky. Grant to Florida. Could we see some kids opting out of their LOI at Florida?
I bet Grant wouldn't believe it had actually happened until Donovan set up his new office without crying a river and returned yet once more.

Dukiedevil
03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Billy G at NC STATE. They might as well have kept Herb Sendek. I do not see any difference.

Huge difference. Herb was a classy guy. I live in Lexington and one of the biggest problems Billy Clyde has had is his interaction with the public. Now if he was 30-5, they may let it slide, but when you come across as a boorish lout to the press and public in general AND lose 10-15 games a season, you are in big trouble.

The other problem is that people hate his style of play even more than Tubby's. The "If anyone shoots other than Patterson or Meeks, you'll be running laps" offense was fairly easy to figure out after a couple of months. He is great at teaching D, but his offense leaves a bit to be desired. Reminds me a lot of the criticism for our women's program actually...

FireOgilvie
03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
from the sporting news (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=531722):

"Should Gillispie be let go, Kentucky could make an attempt to hire Florida coach Billy Donovan, but Travis Ford of Oklahoma State may be the more realistic candidate, the Louisville Courier-Journal speculates. "

the only thing about that I wonder is if t. boone will open the pockets up for basketball as he did for football and try to keep ford

I think they definitely need to get rid of Gillispie... but I think Travis Ford would actually be a step down. He really hasn't done much in his career except get a talented group at OSU to the 2nd round in his first year... that doesn't exactly scream out "Kentucky Head Coach Position." OSU has a mediocre record and he didn't recruit any of them... Even his work at Eastern Kentucky and UMASS was somewhat underwhelming. There have to be at least 20 better qualified candidates out there... I wouldn't put Ford anywhere near the top of my list if I was the UK AD.

BD80
03-26-2009, 05:47 PM
...Per Wildcat insider sites, Gillespie is already in negotiations with North Carolina State, and could be heading there within weeks. ...

Hmmmm. Let's see. Billy Clyde gets fired this week. Has a job lined up, but doesn't sign a contract for a couple of weeks.

Recruiting rules do not necessarily apply to an out of work coach. Billy comes to Raleigh to discuss with John Wall their mutual opportunities at NC State. Perhaps he calls a couple other high school seniors that haven't signed LOIs. Let's say he buys a few dinners.

Then Billy signs his contract with NCSU.

Billy wouldn't do that, would he?

gotham devil
03-26-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20090326/ARTICLES/903269919/1002?Title=Blog-Billy-D-s-future

Rumblings in the Bluegrass State have Billy Gillispie out as Kentucky basketball coach as soon as Friday, with Florida coach Billy Donovan already agreeing in principle to become his hand-picked successor.

A private plane was tracked from going to Gainesville to Mt. Juliet, Ky. (a small airport outside of Lexington) to South Bend, Ind., on Wednesday. Of course, that plane could have been carrying equine supplies. Or it could have been carrying Florida coach Billy Donovan and Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart.

shoutingncu
03-26-2009, 06:35 PM
From Parrish:

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/14230077

Duvall
03-26-2009, 06:38 PM
From Parrish:

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/14230077

Sources have said UK would like to have a replacement lined up before it moves on Gillispie, that the ideal scenario has the school introducing its next head coach less than 48 hours after Gillispie is asked to resign. More than likely, that means athletic director Mitch Barnhart is spending today trying to determine -- through intermediaries, of course -- if Florida's Billy Donovan will really jump, and if he won't then the next two likely candidates are Michigan State's Tom Izzo and Memphis' John Calipari, both of whom are still coaching their teams in this NCAA tournament and thus unavailable for the time being.

Yeah, that can't possibly go wrong.

Calipari at Kentucky? In a way, it's almost too perfect.

blueprofessor
03-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah, that can't possibly go wrong.

Calipari at Kentucky? In a way, it's almost too perfect.

Apparently 6 KY players demanded the AD fire BCG and that he was a drunkard...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/145574-billy-gillespie-gone-from-kentucky-in-hiring-that-never-should-have-been

FireOgilvie
03-26-2009, 06:56 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/145574-billy-gillespie-gone-from-kentucky-in-hiring-that-never-should-have-been

I don't trust articles that can't spell the topic of the article correctly. "Billy Gillespie." It's Gillispie. Also, Bleacher Report articles can be written by anyone (I believe)...

dukeballer2294
03-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Since this pertains a little bit to Billy Donavon can some1 explain exactly what happened with him in the NBA. I thought it was he wanted to leave Florida signed a contract with Orlando then came back and resigned with Florida but that does not make any snese. Can some1 explain

BlueintheFace
03-26-2009, 06:59 PM

The drinking and womanizing have been documented on the kentucky boards ad nauseum. You never know what is true and what is false, but one thing is for sure... a WHOLE LOT of UK fans think some of those stories are true.

blueprofessor
03-26-2009, 07:08 PM
The drinking and womanizing have been documented on the kentucky boards ad nauseum. You never know what is true and what is false, but one thing is for sure... a WHOLE LOT of UK fans think some of those stories are true.

Any background ?

GustavLooming
03-26-2009, 07:54 PM
BCG hasn't done anything at UK that he didn't do at TAMU - he just did it on a much bigger and more visible stage - in wildcat basketball country instead of 0 - 16 aggieland.

Rumors of drunkenness? check.

Snarky responses to interviews? check.

Players in the doghouse with no way to get out? check.

Screwing the the players' minds/kicking them out of practice and/or the locker room? check.

Just a good ol' boy who only needs a handshake instead of a contract? check.

Now, if the rumors are true and he's gone from UK, we'll have to find out if he actually has the decency to say goodbye to his players in person or he goes with the tried and true of texting them the news that he won't be back.

BlueintheFace
03-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Any background ?

Not sure about that. I know Liggins QUIT THE TEAM for a day or two this season... that ain't common folks. Other than that, I'm not so sure.

Mal
03-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I hope Tubby's getting a nice, long smile out of all this.

Maybe Kelvin Sampson's available?

Seriously, I see this as the time for Donovan - things were too weird and tense a couple years ago for him to step in. A large portion of the rational segment of Kentucky's fanbase didn't want to see Tubby go. They also hadn't hit rock bottom (or a reasonable facsimile by UK standards) so there wasn't quite the opportunity there to burn it all down and start over the way you want with a couple years' leeway. Now there is. He'll be seen as a savior now, rather than a mild improvement over a coach who would have been considered wildly successful at pretty much any other program in the country.

If he doesn't work out, I agree with someone else upthread that Ford just doesn't seem right right now. Other names suggested, like Izzo and Calipari, seem like pipedreams at this point. Guys who've been around that long, while their reputations might lead to a toning down of criticism from the fanbase, probably don't want the risk involved at this point in their careers.

Totally idle speculation with no basis, as I wait the 62 minutes until tip, but has anyone discussed Few yet? Matta? I know Few's name always pops up everytime anything east of Boise opens up. Matta might seem a good fit. He's certainly gotten talent in at Ohio State, and the results have been pretty good, too, other than the inability to keep guys around for more than a year.

78Devil
03-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Is there any possibility that they would go with a young coach from a good, clean program -- like an assistant from Duke?

FireOgilvie
03-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Is there any possibility that they would go with a young coach from a good, clean program -- like an assistant from Duke?

No way in Hades.

CDu
03-26-2009, 09:29 PM

I give that about a -10% chance.

bdh21
03-26-2009, 11:26 PM
According to a local ABC station, it is done (http://www.whas11.com/justposted/stories/WHAS11_090326_Top_Gillispie.74c3bf6f.html).

KenTankerous
03-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Check out the poll results! Coach K is pulling as much of the popular vote as Travis Ford!

gotham devil
03-27-2009, 01:24 AM

No. Even if the administrators went with Chris Collins or Quin Snyder, they'd bring up past violations.

BlueintheFace
03-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Pat Forde says GOODBYE to Billy G.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4018869&sportCat=ncb

BlueintheFace
03-27-2009, 03:01 PM
It's Official: Gillispie OUT at Kentucky

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4021232

geraldsneighbor
03-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Donovan to UK. Boynton to Duke. Good times.

nyr484
03-27-2009, 03:03 PM
This is terrible news for Michael Avery, high school class of 2012.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100

CDu
03-27-2009, 03:04 PM
This will be an interesting offseason. Does Billy D leave for Kentucky? Who fills the UVa job? Would NC St consider getting Gillespie?

geraldsneighbor
03-27-2009, 03:06 PM
This is terrible news for Michael Avery, high school class of 2012.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100

You mean, hes not going to UK? That's the big news here. A 15 year old's verbal won't stand? Wow.

NYDukie
03-27-2009, 03:16 PM
This will be an interesting offseason. Does Billy D leave for Kentucky? Who fills the UVa job? Would NC St consider getting Gillespie?

I have a sneaking feeling it might be Calipari going there. He's a smooth talker, smoozer and can recruit just like Pitino back when he went there. I think he could be a god there and his chances for a NC would be better there b/c his team would be better tested throughout the year. My only question is whether the recruits he has coming into Memphis next year are verbals or have signed. If they are verbals, don't be surprised he bolts and tries to bring some, if not all with him.

geraldsneighbor
03-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I have a sneaking feeling it might be Calipari going there. He's a smooth talker, smoozer and can recruit just like Pitino back when he went there. I think he could be a god there and his chances for a NC would be better there b/c his team would be better tested throughout the year. My only question is whether the recruits he has coming into Memphis next year are verbals or have signed. If they are verbals, don't be surprised he bolts and tries to bring some, if not all with him.

I think that is what he loves about Memphis. He just wracks up wins and its a low profile job. He gets about any recruit he wants also. I think UK would grow frustrated with the amount of one and done players. I think Donovan will get the job.

NYDukie
03-27-2009, 03:27 PM
I think that is what he loves about Memphis. He just wracks up wins and its a low profile job. He gets about any recruit he wants also. I think UK would grow frustrated with the amount of one and done players. I think Donovan will get the job.

I understand your point but thing I disagree with his him wanting a low profile job. Plus, to shut up his naysayers and win a NC, I think he needs a program that will allow him the platform to win it all. He will deny it, but does Conference USA prepare them to win a NC? Probably not. Plus winning at Kentucky, an all time program would allow him to have spotlight on him and be able to talk, talk and talk some more. And lets be honest, would Kentucky fans have any issue w/ one and doners if he has them rolling at 30-4 and being in the NC discussioin every year? I don't think so.

Lavabe
03-27-2009, 03:37 PM
... all the discussion among fans and media types (opinion/newspaper/radio columnists) seems to be on Donovan and Calipari. It's been like this for a while.

The big news here is a press conference, scheduled for 430PM. If they ARE going to announce someone this quickly, it would have to be someone who isn't in the NCAA tourney.

Here's the news:
http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/kty-m-baskbl-body.html

Cheers,
Lavabe

BlueintheFace
03-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Please be Donovan... Please be Donovan... Please be Donovan.... Kenny Boynton.... bigmoneybigmoneybigmoney... SNAKE EYES COME ON!!!!

BlueintheFace
03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Reports have Donovan out at Florida and In at Kentucky!

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/032709source_donovan_leaving_UCF

This is turning in to a bit of a soap opera, but BCG has CALLED A NEWS CONFERENCE for tomorrow at 11am. If he holds to that plan, things could get real ugly real quick....

shadowfax336
03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
well that would be a nice little recruiting coup to turn things around a bit. Thank you Kentucky!

pratt '04
03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Please be Donovan... Please be Donovan... Please be Donovan.... Kenny Boynton.... bigmoneybigmoneybigmoney... SNAKE EYES COME ON!!!!

How does that help us with Kenny Boynton? Didn't he sign a LOI to Florida? And if he's not going to honor his commitment to Florida, why would he come to Duke and not just follow Donovan to UK?

shadowfax336
03-27-2009, 04:08 PM
course Boynton could always stay at Florida to play with Grant or follow Donovan to UK... but it opens up possibilities at least... and who knows, maybe helps with Knight too?

Jeffrey
03-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Difference? IQ.

N.C. State requirement? Probably not.

BlueintheFace
03-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Apparently early reports from various news sources proclaiming Donovan GONE from Florida were inaccurate. ESPN and Gary Parrish are reporting that Donovan isn't going anywhere. What a drama. Who needs daytime television?

FireOgilvie
03-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Cal says he's staying home. I'm not sure if that will hold true, however.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/sports/032709_Coach_Cal_Im_Not_Going_to_Kentucky

Cameron
03-27-2009, 08:01 PM
This is looking bad for Kentucky.

If they don't hire a top gun, who would more likely bring some big basketball boys with him, the Wildcats and the Commonwealth are in for another possible NIT season.

What a train wreck.

tbyers11
03-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Cal says he's staying home. I'm not sure if that will hold true, however.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/sports/032709_Coach_Cal_Im_Not_Going_to_Kentucky

Why would Calipari want to go to UK? He has a much better situation at Memphis. Kentucky, doesn't have that much on the roster, particularly if Meeks and/or Patterson go pro, compared to Memphis. I think all this talk of Donovan and Calipari has been wishful thinking on the part of Kentucky fans and boosters.

I think UK is going to have to go after some successful up-and-comer. I don't think they can offer that much more $$$ than other top programs and they don't have nearly the prestige or the players that they used to to lure an established big name coach along the lines of Donovan or Calipari.

Cameron
03-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Link to Billy Gillispie's presser, live at 11 AM EST.

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...RTS03/90328010

This could be interesting.

SupaDave
04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I thought I'd add a little history lesson to this thread for the younger posters.

Kentucky and Duke go way back and Kentucky looks to rise again...

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/rivalDuke.html