PDA

View Full Version : MBB: North Carolina 86, Virginia Tech 78

Lavabe
03-04-2009, 08:26 PM
This is a Public Service Announcement: If you think you jinx the team playing the Holes, please do NOT watch tonight's VaTech-Holes game.

54-53 Holes ahead with 10 minutes to go.

Seth had to go on the microphone to tell his fans to stop throwing things on the court.

throatybeard
03-04-2009, 08:30 PM
The jinx is attached to starting a thread on the board, I believe.

I must mention the most important thing about this game. Erin Andrews is wearing an almost knee-length scarf, which flows down from her hair, suggesting tresses of Rapunzelian extent.

jdj4duke
03-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Rapunzelian-

Now THAT'S why I am proud to be from Duke, neologism or not-

BlueintheFace
03-04-2009, 08:34 PM
They need to step up the Defense

Lavabe
03-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Vassallo is having an unreal 2nd half tonight. He didn't just save it for us.
Holes by 3 with 5 minutes left.

BlueintheFace
03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
It really frustrates me that if Lawson gets inside the lane with possession and rises for a shot it is absolutely a foul or made shot. The refs do not contemplate that he could miss or get blocked... I guess he worked to get that reputation

RelativeWays
03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
The jinx is attached to starting a thread on the board, I believe.

I must mention the most important thing about this game. Erin Andrews is wearing an almost knee-length scarf, which flows down from her hair, suggesting tresses of Rapunzelian extent.

To any hole fans visiting, Throaty is saying that he thinks EA might have very long hair

tele
03-04-2009, 10:09 PM

Since I'm not watching the vt game, I can only guess that this scarf suggests just a glimmer of godiva?

Lavabe
03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
It really frustrates me that if Lawson gets inside the lane with possession and rises for a shot it is absolutely a foul or made shot. The refs do not contemplate that he could miss or get blocked... I guess he worked to get that reputation

You noticed that too? Thanks for the reality check. I thought it was just me.

He probably wouldn't have the reputation if he were just a little more Rapunzelian.:D

snowdenscold
03-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Standby, Striker. We're going to the tower, good luck.

The tower, the tower! Rapunzel, Rapunzel!

I've now repeated that word so many times in my head it's lost all meaning and is just a string of funny sounds...

dukebluelemur
03-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Could be a replacement for the tired 'extra step on his ladder' description of Gs hops.

"Man, the way Henderson went up and dunked over Hans was Rapunzelian."

jdj4duke
03-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Standby, Striker. We're going to the tower, good luck.

The tower, the tower! Rapunzel, Rapunzel!

I've now repeated that word so many times in my head it's lost all meaning and is just a string of funny sounds...

You are a victim of semantic satiation. I remember that from a linguistics class taught by the late but very great Dr. Weston LaBarre (still the only white man who ever learned to speak Athabascan Sioux).

Aziggazoomba
03-05-2009, 09:21 AM
To any hole fans visiting, Throaty is saying that he thinks EA might have very long hair

But most of us second rate public school degree holders have moved beyond the fairy tale as our frame of reference.

I would have been more impressed with Nazaritean (even Samsonesque) or Sikhian, or maybe a nice play on FSFitzgerald's Bernice (of hair bobbing fame)----anything with a little more gravitas. ;)

Looking forward to Sunday.

Go Heels.

devildeac
03-05-2009, 09:32 AM
But most of us second rate public school degree holders have moved beyond the fairy tale as our frame of reference.

I would have been more impressed with Nazaritean (even Samsonesque) or Sikhian, or maybe a nice play on FSFitzgerald's Bernice (of hair bobbing fame)----anything with a little more gravitas. ;)

Looking forward to Sunday.

Go Heels.

Wow. A 'heel with references to literary characters outside of the daily tarheel and comic books:rolleyes:. Maybe that 2nd rate public school degree isn't that bad after all;).

Seriously, c'mon back for a few visits before game time. You haven't been around much lately and between you and Wheat, we could have some interesting and lively discussions.

Aziggazoomba
03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Seriously, c'mon back for a few visits before game time. You haven't been around much lately and between you and Wheat, we could have some interesting and lively discussions.

Thanks for the kind invitation.

A week ago or so I had read a posting in the thread on the HBO special---some fella making comments to the effect that UNC REALLY is a second rate educational institution (and doesn't even compare to other public universities)---and I nearly made an appearance by almost hitting "Submit" with a withering response that would have drawn much scorn and rebuke, I am sure. Part of me still wishes I had sent it, though, just on principle. But I didn't. Which is probably good. This being, after all, a Duke site.

(Actually, in fairness, there were a few posters who actually suggested that there was some basis for mutual respect---between these schools as educational institutions----and who seemed to frown on the air of elitism that some dark blue types carry. That was nice to see (for me, at least----though it probably made a number of you throw up---which is also nice, for me, at least.....).)

OK, time to get back to my comic books.

yancem
03-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the kind invitation.

A week ago or so I had read a posting in the thread on the HBO special---some fella making comments to the effect that UNC REALLY is a second rate educational institution (and doesn't even compare to other public universities)---and I nearly made an appearance by almost hitting "Submit" with a withering response that would have drawn much scorn and rebuke, I am sure. Part of me still wishes I had sent it, though, just on principle. But I didn't. Which is probably good. This being, after all, a Duke site.

(Actually, in fairness, there were a few posters who actually suggested that there was some basis for mutual respect---between these schools as educational institutions----and who seemed to frown on the air of elitism that some dark blue types carry. That was nice to see (for me, at least----though it probably made a number of you throw up---which is also nice, for me, at least.....).)

OK, time to get back to my comic books.

It's sometimes funny to poke fun of UNC as an academic institution (it makes those of us with private school degrees feel better about the 6 figure cost for a piece of paper) just like UNC fans like to make fun of NCSU but anyone who doesn't think that you can get a solid education there is deluding themselves. While, Duke is clearly a more highly ranked university, I would submit that the biggest difference between the two is that as a large state school it is just easier to hide academically at UNC. State schools offer a wider variety of degree programs and most of the ones you can't find at private schools are the ones that tend to be less academically challenging.