3. UNC
4. Oklahoma
5. UConn
6. Michigan St.
7. Kansas
8. Memphis
9. Louisville
10. Utah

How can you not give DUKE a 1 or 2 seed?

yancem
03-04-2009, 06:20 PM
After the FSU win, we jumped PITT.

1. DUKE
2. Pitt
3. UNC
4. Oklahoma
5. UConn
6. Michigan St.
7. Kansas
8. Memphis
9. Louisville
10. Utah

How can you not give DUKE a 1 or 2 seed?

I certainly agree that as of right now we should definitely get a 2 seed and if we can beat UNC and win the acc tournament probably a 1 but there is no way that we should be the highest rated team in the country. UConn has 3 fewer losses in a strong Big east conference and UNC, Pitt and Oklahoma each have 2 fewer losses also against strong competition.

Personally, I think I would prefer to be a 2 or 3 seed and sneak up on some teams than be a 1 seed and have everyone gunning for us. Duke has had some disappointing tournaments the last few years, I want to exceed expectations again instead of fail to live up to them.

CameronBornAndBred
03-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Personally, I think I would prefer to be a 2 or 3 seed and sneak up on some teams than be a 1 seed and have everyone gunning for us. Duke has had some disappointing tournaments the last few years, I want to exceed expectations again instead of fail to live up to them.
That's pretty much my feeling. The only problem with a 2 is that you could face a 1 before the FF, and that one most likely will have been playing as well as we have to also make it that far. But since anything can happen to anybody, I'd rather play some tested games early instead of ones we go into as heavy favorites. Builds confidence, and bears less pressure. Although, I think any Duke team from here on out is going to have pressure to get past the Sweet 16, not just past the first weekend. I think if we do cross that border, this team will be just having fun. They will be focused, but I bet they will be loose.

As for the RPI and SOS scores....That's awesome!

-jk
03-04-2009, 07:57 PM
I certainly agree that as of right now we should definitely get a 2 seed and if we can beat UNC and win the acc tournament probably a 1 but there is no way that we should be the highest rated team in the country. UConn has 3 fewer losses in a strong Big east conference and UNC, Pitt and Oklahoma each have 2 fewer losses also against strong competition.

Not to sound conceited, but whatever our seed they'll be gunning for us.

We'll have to take care of business regardless.

-jk

DukeUsul
03-04-2009, 08:20 PM
That's pretty much my feeling. The only problem with a 2 is that you could face a 1 before the FF, and that one most likely will have been playing as well as we have to also make it that far.

The only problem with this reasoning, is that let's say we're a high 2 seed.... say the #5 team overall. We'd risk playing the last #1 seed (the #4 overall) before the FF. Well, if they decided to move us into the last #1 seed slot, bumping out what would have been the #4 overall team... we'd just risk playing the exact same team before the FF. Only the jersey colors would change. So in that case it's just a wash. If we're the #8 overall team (the last #2 seed) then this whole argument is moot, but then again so is the contention that we might merit a #1 seed.

juise
03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Not to sound conceited, but whatever our seed they'll be gunning for us.

We'll have to take care of business regardless.

-jk

I agree. I hope I never see the day that Duke sneaks up on someone. This is the most prolific program of the last two decades. I value tournament success as much as anyone, but just about every program in the country has spent the better part of the last 10 regular season in Duke's rear view mirror (whether you're looking at rankings or record or whatever). As K famously said to end the Lakers job scare, "Duke is Duke." :D

RoyalBlue08
03-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Oklahoma lost again tonight (this time with Blake Griffin in the line up). Assuming the commitee doesn't reward Memphis for beating up Conf USA, which I don't think they will do; and OK continues to struggle...we are running out of #1 seeds. I can't see more than two from the Big East..Pitt, Uconn, or Louisville (who I wouldn't count out if they win out). It could be that we could win one vs. UNC (either Sunday or in the ACC tourney) and sneak up to a #1 based on everyone else losing. I think those projecting us as a #3 are fooling themselves. When they consider our record, SOS, RPI, etc., there is no justification whatsoever for a #3 seed!

duketaylor
03-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Duke is probably considered the 4th or 5th best team right now, no way a 3 seed, especially with OU losing tonight. Kansas lost as well. I would seed the top 8, in this order: ) UCONN, 2) UNC, 3) Pitt, 4) Duke, 5) Louisville, 6) Memphis, 7) OU, 8) MSU.
FWIW, Sagarin has:
unc, UCONN, PITT, Duke, Memphis, OU Louisville, MSU, in that order
For predictor he has: unc, UCONN, Memphis, Pitt, Duke, Gonzaga, WVU, Louisville.
I'd say Missouri made a big push into a 2 seed possibly tonight, I believe I saw they beat Kansas. At least a 3 seed.
Was hoping VT could do some damage tonight but they're just not quite good enough yet.