PDA

View Full Version : Please help me understand our offense

cascadedevil
03-04-2009, 05:05 PM
This year, I have been trying to take my Duke Basketball viewing to a higher appreciation level by attempting to deeply understand the sets we are using on offense. I thought I was having success in understanding what was going on earlier in the season, but the last few games have left me confused.

In December and January it seemed like we were running alot of offense through the high post. The goal seemed to be to get Kyle as many touches as possible and to let him create opportunities (e.g. run the "horns" set, look for Gerald cutting on the baseline, the point guard cutting, the other big posting up down low or Scheyer open on the wing for a three). It also seemed that Brian had considerable success both in the high and low posts.

Now it seems like we are running very few of those sets and are gravitating to an offense that looks very much like last year's emphasis with Demarcus (e.g. get the ball to G on the extended high post wing, give him a screen and let him drive all the way to the hoop or kick to an open jump shooter). The modification seems to be that G is quickly developing the pull up mid-range jumper, which has been particularly effective the last few games.

If I am right about this (and I am far from confident that I am), I worry that our focus is highly dependent in G being able to beat his man off the bounce. This has largely worked, but the second half of the VT game was an example where it did not. I also worry that it creates a situation where the rest of the team stands around and just watches G, and particularly Kyle does not get enough touches. It also often leaves our bigs 20 feet from the basket and out of position for rebounding. That may help the other players rebound with the other team's big similarly out of the middle, but the last few games have seen us getting beat on the boards.

I am interested in others thoughts.

BlueintheFace
03-04-2009, 05:23 PM
You are sort of right.

Recently, Duke has turned to a motion oriented system. A lot of this is geared towards getting the ball to Jon, Kyle and G in positions to create (although I too believe not enough has been run for Kyle of late... he finds a way anyways because he is kyle). You will often see G run across 2-3 high screens at the foul line to force his man underneath and get him the ball at the three point line (elbow extended). Another way in which Duke gets him the ball there is to find Lance/Kyle at the high post and have almost everyone run down and set screens to have Jon/ G get the ball on these wings.

At this point Duke likes to throw a few options at the opponent. The first four options (and slight deviations from them) are where I think Duke gets 90% of its points (not including the ft line). The last three have worked occasionally throughout the season.

Option1- is a simple screen and roll/pop to the three point line for Jon/Greg. This gives Jon the option to step back for the three or drive the lane. It gives G the option to shoot his pull up off the screen or drive the lane.

Option2- is a double screen, only the first screen comes from kyle and is really a slip screen that is designed to have his man overcommit while he slips to the basket looking for the pass inside (see- end of Va-Tech game). Meanwhile, a second screen (Lance/Zoubek) is setting up for G/Jon to use like in option 1. The second screener also opens up space in the lane for Kyle's slip screen by drawing his man out top.

Option 3- is to get out of the way for G. When he is on the left side, he can drive baseline, drive the lane, or pull up for the midrange shot. When he is on the right side he can drive the baseline or go to the middle for the mid-range shot. (He barely ever drives the lane with his left hand). Virginia Tech actually figured this out and took away his baseline completely when he was on the right wing. This basically forced him to shoot the midrange.

Finally, When G or Jon get to the lane, the other or kyle is often waiting on the opposite wing ready to hit the three if help D comes.

Option4- is a simple play that brings kyle across the floor through two picks. The first is on the baseline/sideline (on the right side for this example). The screen is set for him to start his run across the floor and away from the basket. The second screen is a down screen at the left elbow of the ft line to free him for the three point shot at the wing. (This double screen is also run for Jon, but both screens are on the baseline for him (Think JJ Redick getting open for three off the baseline screens)

Option5- is a simple pick and pop with the ball-handler and singler.

Option6- Ball goes down low to Z and players set up screens for cutters and Z looks for them before missing the flip shot

Option7- Paulus calls his own number for the ball screen and drains the three.

... of course I am leaving a few sets and options out, but I think this is a fair characterization...

Greg_Newton
03-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Option6- Ball goes down low to Z and players set up screens for cutters and Z looks for them before missing the flip shot.

I would say that this has been our most consistent play so far... but don't forget the ensuing foul on the rebound!