View Full Version : Debating The Dunks

I_am_a_Blue_Devil
03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3951557&categoryid=2378529

That dunk was absolutely NASTY

Gerald Wins!

zingit
03-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Some of the ESPN guys debate which dunk was the best: one by Andre Iguodala, one by Josh Smith, and G's dunk vs. Maryland, and they pretty much all agree that G's was the best (except Skip Bayless still doesn't seem too impressed). Link (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3951557&categoryid=2378529). Niiiiiice. But that doesn't mean G should play against NBA guys next year!

Interestingly, Andy Katz asks Skip Bayless which Gerald Henderson was/is better, the father or the son? Seems like that question is a little unfair, because GH Jr. is only a junior in college and isn't a "finished product" yet, but in any case, Skip immediately says that the father was more explosive. Hmm, I am too young to have watched GH Sr. play--can someone with more basketball knowledge weigh in?

_Gary
03-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Interestingly, Andy Katz asks Skip Bayless which Gerald Henderson was/is better, the father or the son? Seems like that question is a little unfair, because GH Jr. is only a junior in college and isn't a "finished product" yet, but in any case, Skip immediately says that the father was more explosive. Hmm, I am too young to have watched GH Sr. play--can someone with more basketball knowledge weigh in?

Simple answer: Skip's insane! No way was Gerald Sr. as explosive as his son. No way, no how! It's not even close, so I have no clue what Bayless (or maybe it's Mindless) is thinking about. I saw it (the ESPN piece) live and was shaking my head at the stupidity of his answer, as well as his "blah" attitude about Gerald's dunk.

Gary

JasonEvans
03-05-2009, 02:03 PM

Ummm, I beg to differ.

Gerald Sr. scored about 1500 points in his career at VCU -- not bad, but not the stuff of a super-explosive player. He was a late 3rd round draft pick who made the most of his abilities and had a nice long career. He was mostly a PG, not a athletic wing in his NBA career.

As an aside, here is video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ui-iLWBugI) of the biggest play of his career. He moves quickly, but I dunno if he shows me anything as explosive as his son routinely does.

--Jason "Junior is as explosive and athletic a leaper as I have seen at Duke-- more than Brickey or Tony Lang or Grant Hill" Evans

brumby041
03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Skip graded him down because "there looked like a moment there when he wasn't sure whether he would be able to get the ball over the rim".

OK - I'm guessing that G hasn't worried about whether he was going to get the ball over the rim since about 7th grade.

Skip = Moron

yancem
03-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Ummm, I beg to differ.

Gerald Sr. scored about 1500 points in his career at VCU -- not bad, but not the stuff of a super-explosive player. He was a late 3rd round draft pick who made the most of his abilities and had a nice long career. He was mostly a PG, not a athletic wing in his NBA career.

As an aside, here is video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ui-iLWBugI) of the biggest play of his career. He moves quickly, but I dunno if he shows me anything as explosive as his son routinely does.

--Jason "Junior is as explosive and athletic a leaper as I have seen at Duke-- more than Brickey or Tony Lang or Grant Hill" Evans

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Jr. would have dunked that!

Rudy
03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
My recollection of GH, Sr's pro career was as a steadying force as a point guard rather than an explosive scorer, but I could be wrong.

Jr. has some great dunks and will have some more. I'd love to have him back for another year so we can have duelling dunkers, G and EWill.

BTW, EWill had 3 out of the top 5 top plays of the FSU game on Blue Planet.

allenmurray
03-05-2009, 02:39 PM
I love to watch a really athletic and explosive dunk. but any argument about which is better needs to take into acount that , if made, they were each worth the same amount of points.

_Gary
03-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Look, I loved G Sr. as much as anyone. I'm a diehard Celtic's fan, and I know how important he was to Boston. But the question asked of Skip wasn't just who was the better player all around, but who was the more explosive player (or something along those lines). And it's no contest. Period.