PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Carolina Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

bjornolf
03-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Okay, guys, great win last night, but we need to start getting ready for Sunday. It's time to girt yourselves for battle, tighten that chinstrap. It's gut check time. We can take the ACC regular season title (or at least a share of it), and now is the time.

I know it's blasphemy, but I'm going to be pulling for the Hokies tonight, cause I want Sunday to be for all the marbles, damn it. And I want them mad after a loss. I WANT them hungry and angry. I want US hungry and angry after the loss to them at CIS. I want this to be a battle for the ages.

Let's do this.

Next play.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-04-2009, 08:46 AM
We've all wanted to see Plumlee get significant minutes. Now we have our chance. We all know he's very skilled, so who knows, if he happens to play out of his mind we might still have a shot.

davekay1971
03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
It's going to be an interesting game, because our lineups are so different than they were last time we played. I like our chances!

E-Will is going to have the primary job of containing Lawson. That's the key to the matchup, I think. Plumlee and Zoubek hopefully will come out strong and play well, a la Casey Sanders when Boozer went down. That would help. But Coach K may go small ball just as well. Henderson is going to be on fire. Scheyer is a completely different player than he was last time we played the 'Holes. Singler's playing well. If our guys can hit the open shots the 'Hole defense will give up, we've got every shot.

COYS
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm looking forward to this one. Hendo, Jon, and Singler have elevated their games since the last time we met. Ewill gives us another presence on both ends of the court. With Lance out, we'll need a lot out of our big three and obviously Zoubs, McClure, and Plumlee will have to give us a big boost on defense, but I like the way our team is playing, right now. I hope Nolan is back, which would give us a little more depth, but I'm convinced we're going to see a strong performance from our guys.

CallUsPaulus
03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
A great read to stir the memories and get fired up for Sunday:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina-Duke_rivalry

(Wiki page on the UNC-Duke rivalry)

OldSchool
03-04-2009, 01:16 PM
E-Will is going to have the primary job of containing Lawson. That's the key to the matchup, I think.

Because we switch every screen on the perimeter, the primary job of containing Lawson will fall to the team as a whole. The key to the matchup will be MENTAL ALERTNESS on defense.

The moment Lawson starts to drive on his perimeter defender, one of our interior players immediately needs to move over to block his path to the basket - a half second delay will be too late and we will be watching Lawson lay it off the glass, and perhaps for an "and one."

And the moment that interior defender shifts over to block Lawson's path, another defender needs to immediately move to the interior to block out the open UNC big man and cut off the interior passing lane -- when Lawson can't get to the rim, he is very good at finding Thompson or Davis or Hansbrough under the basket for a layup.

If Lawson can't get all the way to the rim and there is no pass available to an open big man under the basket, he will either take a jumper over his man or kick it out to someone for a 3 or to re-run the offense. That is the option we want him to take, and people need to be alert to run out on the shooter as Lawson begins to make that pass to an open man behind the 3-pt line.

The teams that have had the most success against UNC aren't those that overplay the passing lanes on the perimeter - it's those that clog the middle and force UNC to shoot outside jumpers, and hope they don't have a hot shooting day. In our case, with our perimeter defensive speed, when we are playing well on defense we are capable of cutting off the interior driving and passing and still recovering enough to get out onto a perimeter shooter.

Uncle Drew
03-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Atlantic Coast Conf All
UNC (2) 11-3 25-3
Duke (7) 11-4 25-5
Wake Forest (10) 10-5 23-5
Clemson (18) 9-6 23-6
Florida St. (24) 9-6 22-8
Boston Coll. 8-6 20-9
Virginia Tech 7-7 17-11
Maryland 7-8 18-11
Miami (FL) 6-8 17-10
N.C. State 5-9 15-12
Virginia 3-12 9-17
Georgia Tech 1-13 10-17
UNC @ VT 7:00
BC @ NCSU 7:00
Miami @ GT 7:30
GT @ BC 12:00
NCSU @ Miami 12:00
MD @ UVA 3:30
VT @ FSU 2:00
Duke @ UNC 4:00
Clemson @ Wake 6:00
#8 Seed vs. #9 Seed Noon
#5 Seed vs. #12 Seed 2 p.m.
#7 Seed vs. #10 Seed 7 p.m.
#6 Seed vs. #11 Seed 9 p.m.

I apologize this couldn't have been neater and easier to read. But some people are computer illiterate, while I on the other hand am computer illegitimate. At any rate these are the present standings before tonight's games. This should raise some questions, some of which will be moot after the games are played tonight. But I have a couple questions I'd like someone in the know to answer. IF VT were to beat UNC tonight AND Duke were to beat UNC Sunday, Duke would win the regular season and ACCT #1 seed.

1. If VT loses and Duke beats UNC which is the #1 seed for the ACCT and how is that now determined if the two teams split the regular season games? UNC can finish no worse than 2nd however.

2. If Wake wins their Saturday game at with Clemson and Duke loses to UNC they would be tied with Wake but split the head to head meetings. Who would get the #2 ACCT seed and how would that be determined? In theory to finish second outright Duke fans need to pull for Clemson against Wake. Wake can not finish 1st at this point.

3. If BC beats NCSU tonight they would all have 9-6 in conference records and could if I'm not mistaken finish with 9-7 or 10-6 records. There could be a log jam tied for 3rd with Clemson, BC, FSU and / or BC. How would the #3 seed be determined in that scenario, especially now that the home / away regular season schedule no longer exists?

4. Finally we always want to beat UNC, we all want Duke to have the #1 ACCT seed. What teams do you least want to see Duke face as far as matching up goes (yes I know we fear nobody) and what teams would you most like to see UNC face to get to Sunday?

flyingdutchdevil
03-04-2009, 03:25 PM
We've all wanted to see Plumlee get significant minutes. Now we have our chance. We all know he's very skilled, so who knows, if he happens to play out of his mind we might still have a shot.

And remember that freshman often have breakout games against UNC. DeMarc did it back in the day, and Henderson did as well before the "incident"

Kedsy
03-04-2009, 03:52 PM
I know it's blasphemy, but I'm going to be pulling for the Hokies tonight, cause I want Sunday to be for all the marbles, damn it.

Why would rooting for our 2nd favorite team (whoever's playing the Evil Empire) be blasphemy? I assume we'll all be pulling for the Hokies, no?

Indoor66
03-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Why would rooting for our 2nd favorite team (whoever's playing the Evil Empire) be blasphemy? I assume we'll all be pulling for the Hokies, no?

Tonight I am a Hokie born and a Hokie bred and tomorrow they can go to h3ll. 9F

Matches
03-04-2009, 04:25 PM
1. If VT loses and Duke beats UNC which is the #1 seed for the ACCT and how is that now determined if the two teams split the regular season games? UNC can finish no worse than 2nd however.

2. If Wake wins their Saturday game at with Clemson and Duke loses to UNC they would be tied with Wake but split the head to head meetings. Who would get the #2 ACCT seed and how would that be determined? In theory to finish second outright Duke fans need to pull for Clemson against Wake. Wake can not finish 1st at this point.

In both cases you start at the top of the standings and work down, comparing the teams' records against each opponent. For example, if UNC finishes #1 and Duke and Wake tie for #2, Wake would be the #2 seed based on a superior head-to-head record vs. UNC. (Thanks so much ridiculous unbalanced schedule.)

If Duke and UNC are tied for #1, they'll have split HTH, so you'd compare their records vs. whoever finishes 3rd. That could either be Wake, Clemson, FSU or some combination thereof. If Wake finishes 3rd outright, Duke would win the tibreaker over UNC. Not sure what happens if there's a big ol' scrum at #3. Obviously UNC's record against Clemson is superior to ours.

dukeballer2294
03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I have been waiting for this game for four years now. I still remeber JJ's Sheldon's Sean's and Lee's Senior game and how UNC beat us while we were #1. This is Payback for that year plain and simple. No mercy on Sunday.
GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kedsy
03-04-2009, 04:40 PM

I think we have a "shot" (and a pretty decent one at that) even if Plumlee doesn't play at all.

And speaking of Miles, if you are hoping he'll play significant minutes, I expect you will be disappointed. Personally, I'll be very surprised if he plays more than 10 minutes, and my guess is it will be closer to 5. Last game against UNC, Brian played 9 minutes and 7 guys played between 20 and 34 minutes. Lance played only 20 minutes and Nolan played 22. My guess is Elliot will take Nolan's minutes plus about 8 or 10 more, Brian will play 10 to 15 and Miles will play 5 to 10. In the earlier game, Greg played 28 minutes and David played 21 and I assume that will reverse. Just my opinion, of course. If we get into unexpected foul trouble or suffer further injuries, then who knows what might happen?

Whoever plays however many minutes, I honestly believe we're going to win. Of course, I thought we were going to win the last one, too, but I was a little uneasy. This time I'm confident. Whether that confidence is justified I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

weezie
03-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Tonight I am a Hokie born and a Hokie bred and tomorrow they can go to h3ll. 9F

Yikes! I don't think I can go that far...maroon and orange just do not fit on my color wheel of fashion sense but it certainly would be a tasty delight if
Seth-Whine-a-saurus Rex manages to pull off the upset.

BlueintheFace
03-04-2009, 04:56 PM
All we have left is the game at Carolina and the ACC tournament before the Dance starts. What are you thinking about minutes, injuries, strategy, mentality?

1) Let's not rush Lance or Nolan back no matter what. We play against the favorite for the national championship (and a better team) on their home floor. If we win, great, but lets just let Nolan and Lance rest until they are ready.... The Carolina game and ACC tourney would be nice to have, but we need it in March big time... let's take it easy and work that bench (no 38/39 minute games for the big three).

2) Even if Nolan and Lance can't play, this is FREAKING CAROLINA. I want Kyle, Jon, and G playing 40 minutes a piece if possible. Same for the ACC Tourney. These are games we NEED to win for momentum and seeding going in to march. What good is rest if you end up a 4 seed instead of a 1/2 seed. This team has a building confidence every day and we need to feed it with more wins. Hell, if Lance can run and Nolan can stand the noise in Atlanta, run them. All-Out, All the way.

3) Let's go for broke at Carolina and see if we can get that regular season crown and then do some serious resting in the ACC tournament. The big three shouldn't be getting over 25 min/game unless it is the ACC championship.

4) Let's go for the win, but not strain our starters against Carolina. We will be down two huge players on the road against a team that just has more talent. Let's see if we can win with all our personnel. Play it safe in a game we don't have a great shot at winning, and recover before building momentum with an ACC Tourney run going in to the dance...

I'm not sure I buy the whole "worn down by minutes throughout the regular season" theory for Duke, but I absolutely do believe that players can be worn down by heavy minutes at the end. If you read the comments of the players after the Florida St. game... they are just tired and banged up after this last 10 days.

So what should the mentality of the team be going forward? What do you think it actually is? Do you "play to win the game" at all costs once the Calendar hits March, or should Duke be more strategic with minutes and injuries down the stretch? How important is the ACC tourney to you? It is pretty important to K as we know.

Remember, Carolina isn't until Sunday and then the ACC tourney isn't until the following Friday for us.

feldspar
03-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I'd rather lose to Carolina and lose in the semis of the ACC Tournament and have a fresh, healthy team for a good NCAAT run.

It would be nice to beat Carolina and win the ACCT, but this program absolutely HAS to get to the Sweet 16 this year.

msdukie
03-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Duke is a program about pursuing championships.

Each of the remaining 10 games in the season are games that are part of championships.

Do what must be done to win all 10 games, taking them one at a time.

RelativeWays
03-04-2009, 05:20 PM
The only thing I care about is getting past the 1st weekend of the NCAA tourney, and I don't really think the UNC game factors into that much, the ACC tourney might. If we were to take a loss at chapuh heeyall, I don't want to see us get bounced on Friday either, getting to the championship game, win or lose, might be good for team psyche and success in the 64.

Duvall
03-04-2009, 05:26 PM
I'd rather lose to Carolina and lose in the semis of the ACC Tournament and have a fresh, healthy team for a good NCAAT run.

It would be nice to beat Carolina and win the ACCT, but this program absolutely HAS to get to the Sweet 16 this year.

I've never understood this logic. The difference between winning the conference tournament and losing in the semis is one game. The tournament comes after a four-day break and will be followed by another three or four day break. Fatigue just isn't a serious concern.

Of course, Duke shouldn't take any chances with injuries, particularly Smith's.

wilko
03-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Dont get me wrong, I know the players want to go as hard as they can as fast as they can. I'd bet its a point of personal pride.

I think having a strong showing at the dean dome is completely necessary.
I think K is upping the ante to be more involved, to show his verve and get the program back on track. Showing up to play UNC is part of it. No way we rollover for tourney prep. We'll go hard with what we have....

We are witnessing the beginning 4th reinvention of Duke that K has pulled off. He is posturing for recruiting showing a youthfull swagger as much as he is coaching for the moment, I believe.

Im glad to see it.

hudlow
03-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I always want to see Duke win the next game scheduled.

feldspar
03-04-2009, 05:33 PM
I've never understood this logic. The difference between winning the conference tournament and losing in the semis is one game. The tournament comes after a four-day break and will be followed by another three or four day break. Fatigue just isn't a serious concern.

Of course, Duke shouldn't take any chances with injuries, particularly Smith's.

You're right.

Winning the ACCT and being fresh and rested aren't mutually exclusive.

It's mainly getting our guys 100% healthy I'm worried about.

Uncle Drew
03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
In both cases you start at the top of the standings and work down, comparing the teams' records against each opponent. For example, if UNC finishes #1 and Duke and Wake tie for #2, Wake would be the #2 seed based on a superior head-to-head record vs. UNC. (Thanks so much ridiculous unbalanced schedule.)

If Duke and UNC are tied for #1, they'll have split HTH, so you'd compare their records vs. whoever finishes 3rd. That could either be Wake, Clemson, FSU or some combination thereof. If Wake finishes 3rd outright, Duke would win the tibreaker over UNC. Not sure what happens if there's a big ol' scrum at #3. Obviously UNC's record against Clemson is superior to ours.

Well thanks a ton for explaining that much to me, I truly do appreciate it. But does anyone besides me think that is unfair to so many teams in the ACC? Clemson only had to play UNC and Duke once, we had to go on the road while UNC got to continue their 0-end of time streak against the tigers. UNC played Wake once Duke got them twice, BC only had to play Duke and UNC once. I can look at every teams schedule and see things in their favor and against them. But how anyone could call it fair I have no idea. The only benefit to Duke's schedule might be strength of schedule when the NCAA brackets are announced. But if you lose a lot of games on a tougher schedule that doesn't help you out either. Oh well the picture will look a little clearer after tonight and set in stone Sunday.

Uncle Drew
03-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I have been waiting for this game for four years now. I still remeber JJ's Sheldon's Sean's and Lee's Senior game and how UNC beat us while we were #1. This is Payback for that year plain and simple. No mercy on Sunday.
GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with baller, even after four years that loss on senior day still leaves a VERY bad taste in my mouth. At the time that seemed like one of the most humiliating losses in the series. I guess knowing what we know about Hansbrough now it wasn't that huge an upset. But after beating them in Chapel Hill, to lose to them on senior day made me litterally ill. I was sick. I honestly think because it was senior day the whole team particularly Reddick was tight and that hurt them. Here's hoping a player or two for the heels get caught up in the moment and the ball feels like it weighs 90lbs.

Go Duke, Go to hell Carolina!

BlueintheFace
03-04-2009, 06:30 PM
You're right.

Winning the ACCT and being fresh and rested aren't mutually exclusive.

It's mainly getting our guys 100% healthy I'm worried about.

Not necessarily mutually exclusive, but I would argue that if Duke were to play 3 hard-fought games in 3 days and a game 4 days later, then they would not be "fresh and rested" for that 5th game in 8 days.

I think the difference is, if Duke wins that championship game, then the confidence factor is worth way more than being fresh. However, if Duke loses that championship game, then the confidence level has to refresh to a degree and it might not be worth it.

I don't buy the "Duke gets beaten down over the course of the season" argument, but I absolutely believe that given Duke's style of play, that a 5th game in 8 days becomes very tough...

feldspar
03-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Not necessarily mutually exclusive, but I would argue that if Duke were to play 3 hard-fought games in 3 days and a game 4 days later, then they would not be "fresh and rested" for that 5th game in 8 days.

I think the difference is, if Duke wins that championship game, then the confidence factor is worth way more than being fresh. However, if Duke loses that championship game, then the confidence level has to refresh to a degree and it might not be worth it.

I don't buy the "Duke gets beaten down over the course of the season" argument, but I absolutely believe that given Duke's style of play, that a 5th game in 8 days becomes very tough...

Not to pick nits, but we don't have the possibility of playing 5 games in 8 days, since we're locked in at at least a 3 seed in the ACC Tourney. (meaning a bye into the quarterfinals)

We can play, at the most, 5 games in 9 days, assuming we get a Thu/Sat slot in the NCAAT.

CBDUKE
03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I always want to win every game. Do what you must to win the game at hand. The future will take care of itself. On the subject of minutes played: depending on the injuries, we might not have the opportunity to rest to many people.

DukieInKansas
03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Where do I stand? Firmly and enthusiastically behind the Duke Blue Devils. I don't look past the next game on the schedule. I'm greedy - I want to see us win them all. (But I want all our players healthy.)

GTH, C, GTH

9F 9F 9F 9F

Greg_Newton
03-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I think you look at this stretch as an opportunity to develop your less-used players into solid contributors by the NCAAs, and keep the momentum rolling in the meantime. Elliott is way ahead of schedule in this regard, and if Plumlee/Z can develop into a semi-legitimate post presence by tourney time, that would be huge for us. If we can then (hopefully) add back Lance and Nolan after a couple weeks of rest to an improved unit, we could finally be looking at a team that is peaking at the right time. Lance and Nolan have both always struck me as great energy/glue guys... no real defined position, but energetic, athletic players that can give you a jolt and help you out in a variety of ways. It would be a great boost to have them coming back healthy in mid-March...

chi
03-05-2009, 03:39 AM
ACC Insider: Star-crossed Duke seniors go out winners (http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20090303/ARTICLES/903042998/1005/SPORTS?Title=ACC-Insider-Star-crossed-Duke-seniors-go-out-winners)

Bob Green
03-05-2009, 06:05 AM
I have to agree with baller, even after four years that loss on senior day still leaves a VERY bad taste in my mouth.

I don't obsess over the three national championships we have won and I definitely do not obsess over one loss four years ago (especially since it was three years ago). Now, the 17 second disaster in 1974 is another story! I've been obsessing over that loss for the past 35 years. :)

Uncle Drew
03-05-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't obsess over the three national championships we have won and I definitely do not obsess over one loss four years ago (especially since it was three years ago). Now, the 17 second disaster in 1974 is another story! I've been obsessing over that loss for the past 35 years. :)

Okay Bob, not to hijack the thread, but does the 1999 loss to UCONN still hurt a little when you think back to it? I think a loss be it THREE or ten years ago stings the most when you have every expectation for Duke to win and they don't. The 1995 game where Capel hit the shot to send the game to OT doesn't hurt that much thinking back, because I didn't expect Duke to win.

But I think back to 2001 after Boozer went down and everyone expected Duke to lose in Chapel Hill. To go into that game and blitzkrieg the heels made the victory twice as sweet. So I have no idea what the spread is but I am sure Duke is an underdog, especially when facoring in the walking wounded, on the road, with a ACCT #1 seed on the line. IF Duke were to pull it off it would make it all the sweeter. Especially in a year where they were gift wrapping the regular season, ACCT and NCAAT trophies for the heels.

roywhite
03-05-2009, 08:07 AM

I know what you mean, Bob. One of my goals in life has been to outlive any discussion of that game. We made some progress recently when Billy Packer retired. :) He mentioned that game at least 2 or 3 times every season.

bjornolf
03-05-2009, 09:00 AM
The 1999 UConn loss still stings a little to me, but the 2001 win helped a lot. I think 1999 would still be smarting if not for 2001, at least for me.

yancem
03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
I have to agree with baller, even after four years that loss on senior day still leaves a VERY bad taste in my mouth. At the time that seemed like one of the most humiliating losses in the series. I guess knowing what we know about Hansbrough now it wasn't that huge an upset. But after beating them in Chapel Hill, to lose to them on senior day made me litterally ill. I was sick. I honestly think because it was senior day the whole team particularly Reddick was tight and that hurt them. Here's hoping a player or two for the heels get caught up in the moment and the ball feels like it weighs 90lbs.

Go Duke, Go to hell Carolina!

What would be so great about a Duke victory on Sunday is that not only would it ruin Hansolo's senior night like he did JJ and Shleden's but it would also means that he would be 1-3 against Duke at home. That kind of tarnishes his 4-0 record at Cameron doesn't it!

dukestheheat
03-05-2009, 09:39 AM
I always want to see Duke win the next game scheduled.

Anyone remember how we slowed Lawson the first half of the game at Cameron this year?

We had our guard pick him up full court, and then we brought one of our bigs up to meet our guard at half court; this gave us an amoeba-like double team on Lawson. The result: Lawson scored 4 points, and wasn't able to create much. Also, Duke was up by 8 at the half and CLEARLY had the momentum going in.

We gave up a stronger defense in the paint by having our big at half court, so we'll have to watch that this next game, but this was clearly a great move by our coaches, then.

I sure hope we employ this defense for this game, based on our results from the first half of last game.

dukestheheat.

InSpades
03-05-2009, 10:59 AM
In a way I'm kind of glad we're playing this game on the road. Of late we haven't played well at home on senior night (for whatever reason). Paulus didn't have a particularly good game on tuesday and it might have been because it was senior night. The urge to try to do too much might have led him to hoist up a few more 3s than usual.

Maybe the roles will be a bit reversed on sunday. Maybe the 'Heels feel a bit of that pressure. I think Paulus will come out and have one of his better games (and we might really need him to play a lot with all the injuries). Paulus has had some good games in that building, let's hope for a repeat performance.

Rudy
03-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Carolina looked very good at CIS but they did not against VaTech and another game I saw them play since CIS. Keys would be keeping Hans off the offensive glass and controlling Lawson. This is a tall order with Lance out and Nolan out, but it can be done. If we're shooting a reasonably high percentage their rebounding edge is not all that important, unless they're getting a bunch of offensive 'bounds.

Reddevil
03-05-2009, 12:35 PM
But I think back to 2001 after Boozer went down and everyone expected Duke to lose in Chapel Hill. To go into that game and blitzkrieg the heels made the victory twice as sweet. So I have no idea what the spread is but I am sure Duke is an underdog, especially when facoring in the walking wounded, on the road, with a ACCT #1 seed on the line. IF Duke were to pull it off it would make it all the sweeter. Especially in a year where they were gift wrapping the regular season, ACCT and NCAAT trophies for the heels.

I know it is counterintuitive, but I always like Duke's chances when they are hurting. Obviously, I don't want them hurt, but the old wounded animal theory seems to fit K's motivational approach very well.

MulletMan
03-05-2009, 12:49 PM
The key to this game, plain and simple, is if we can do something, anything, to make our transition defense better. Our transition D, even after MADE BASKETS has been attrocious for weeks. Yes, even after the major line-up changes it has been awful. Its no secret that the Heels love to push the ball, and the fact that our transition D has been so bad worries me.

zingit
03-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Bob Knight breaks down (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3950822&categoryid=2459792) Carolina. He talks about taking advantage of their defensive mistakes, like being late on help defense, not hustling down the court in transition defense, and defenders leaving their man. Hopefully our guys learn from this, and UNC doesn't!

jjasper0729
03-05-2009, 03:17 PM
One other thing we might be able to do. I watched closely the unc/gt game from last weekend. in the first half, GT could have had a very good chance to be much closer had they hit their shots. UNC took NO chances aggressively on defense. they had a total of 1 (ONE) team foul for the first half. They don't take any chances early for some reason (maybe they don't want ot have to sit or be in foul trouble in the second half). If we can drive and MAKE them play defense to either go to the rim or drive and dish off of switches (that Coach Knight says the are making incorrectly) we have a very good chance to get ahead and iwth any luck STAY ahead this time without taking our foot off the gas.

jipops
03-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Anyone remember how we slowed Lawson the first half of the game at Cameron this year?

dukestheheat.

I think he spent a good amount of time on the bench in the 1st half of that one. He may have also been back in the locker room looking up his then-current draft stock/status.

BD80
03-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I think he spent a good amount of time on the bench in the 1st half of that one. He may have also been back in the locker room looking up his then-current draft stock/status.

That explains that hole that was found in the locker room floor :D

chi
03-05-2009, 06:14 PM
two links

Grant talks with the Buzz (http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=8190) about the rivalry, his recent life, and "the shot" ad, among other things ...

College Hoops Net on the Rivalry (http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/unc-duke-the-rivalry-continues-165937)

Wheat/"/"/"
03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
If you saw the first half of the UNC/VT game, I think you saw UNC working on the gameplan they will employ against Duke. It looked like a practice the way they were making a specific point of getting it inside to the post. (They still are not as good at it as they should be,btw).

That's what's coming guys. Last time around I expected a strong game from the freshman Davis, but it never happened. I think mainly because Deon T started so well, Davis never really got into any sort of rythem in that game. I still think he is a matchup nightmare for Duke during that first wave off the bench, Zeller could be trouble too.

Deon T is playing very well right now and is a difficult matchup for Singler inside. Duke has no answer for TH defensively around the rim. The Duke fouls pile up and UNC is 80% at the line. Duke cannot stop UNC from scoring, it's another high posession, high scoring game.

UNC keeps coming at Duke in the post, first option, every time...when there is no transition push opportunity from TL.
When Duke can't stop TH and DT inside, and begins to drop down, UNC shoots it with Green, Ellington and Lawson.

Good (or bad?) spacing from UNC will be their key to the game.

Lawson will get his in transition and some dribble penetration, but the game will be won by UNC inside with the damage done by TH, DT and Davis. If UNC shoots well, it could be a 15 point+ win, if not, expect a more grinding double digit, pulling away at the end from the line, win to be the result.

Ok, that's what I hope happens:)

Here's what could happen.

Scheyer, Singler, Williams and Henderson stretch UNC's 1/2 court D with ball movement and attack the rim with the dribble. UNC is always late on the D rotation. Scheyer, Henderson and Paulus have a sick night from the outside, shooting 40% + on 3's to keep them in it.

UNC gives up a 12 point lead with 4 minutes to go, aided mostly by turnovers from UNC when they force shots and passes inside. It's a tight game at the wire, and UNC makes boneheaded mistake after boneheaded mistake, while a smart, scrappy Duke team continues to make good decisions and big 3's.
UNC is up by 1, 94-93 with 7 seconds to go, and Scheyer takes a charge on TL on the inbounds play. Scheyer drains the 2 free throws to take the lead.

UNC gets it in bounds, and with time running out, TL goes the length of the court to the rim and gets hammered out of bounds by Singler as the shot clangs off the rim. No call. Game over. Duke win.;)

blueprofessor
03-05-2009, 07:21 PM
If you saw the first half of the UNC/VT game, I think you saw UNC working on the gameplan they will employ against Duke. It looked like a practice the way they were making a specific point of getting it inside to the post. (They still are not as good at it as they should be,btw).

That's what's coming guys. Last time around I expected a strong game from the freshman Davis, but it never happened. I think mainly because Deon T started so well, Davis never really got into any sort of rythem in that game. I still think he is a matchup nightmare for Duke during that first wave off the bench, Zeller could be trouble too.

Deon T is playing very well right now and is a difficult matchup for Singler inside. Duke has no answer for TH defensively around the rim. The Duke fouls pile up and UNC is 80% at the line. Duke cannot stop UNC from scoring, it's another high posession, high scoring game.

UNC keeps coming at Duke in the post, first option, every time...when there is no transition push opportunity from TL.
When Duke can't stop TH and DT inside, and begins to drop down, UNC shoots it with Green, Ellington and Lawson.

Lawson will get his in transition and some dribble penetration, but the game will be won by UNC inside with the damage done by TH, DT and Davis. If UNC shoots well, it could be a 15 point+ win, if not, expect a more grinding double digit, pulling away at the end from the line, win to be the result.

...you are making it sound like the Eastern Front for Germany circa 1943-45.

Blueprofessor:)

Wheat/"/"/"
03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
...you are making it sound like the Eastern Front for Germany circa 1943-45.

Blueprofessor:)

All part of the intense psychological warfare.....:)

Virginian
03-05-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm reading this thread and all the suggestions about how to defend against UNC -- help in the inside, sagging when the UNC ball-handler makes a move towards the paint, getting out on the three-ball shooter, etc., etc. And I can't help thinking: well, that sure sounds like a prescription for a zone defense. What are the chances?

Yes, a typical zone would leave good three-point shooters a little more leeway than you'd like, but the zone can adjust to that as well.

I'm not saying I expect Duke to play zone or would suggest the same. Still...

dukelifer
03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
A few games back, K introduced a newly programmed Elliot to the starting lineup. Now it is time to introduce Miles. K has been putting the finishing touches this past week and he is ready to unleash him on the ACC. Miles is ready to go.

BD80
03-05-2009, 08:39 PM
A few games back, K introduced a newly programmed Elliot to the starting lineup. Now it is time to introduce Miles. K has been putting the finishing touches this past week and he is ready to unleash him on the ACC. Miles is ready to go.

Miles to go?

InSpades
03-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Did you watch Miles play on tuesday? It wasn't very pretty. I think we'll see him early again (if Thomas is out) but if he plays like he did Tuesday then he will sit back down and we'll see a lot of the smaller lineup (McClure + Singler as the only "bigs").

In theory a zone might work. The problems are the Carolina can shoot the 3 and much more importantly... Duke seems to have problems rebounding while playing zone defense (I think this is a general problem w/ zone cause you don't know who to box out). UNC has the potential to kill us on the offensive boards if we go zone.

I think we'll stick to man-to-man and hope Elliot changes things as far as Lawson is concerned. Surely K will have a few new wrinkles lined up but I don't think a lot of zone is all that likely. More likely just better ways to limit Lawson's penetration.

devildownunder
03-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Dont get me wrong, I know the players want to go as hard as they can as fast as they can. I'd bet its a point of personal pride.

I think having a strong showing at the dean dome is completely necessary.
I think K is upping the ante to be more involved, to show his verve and get the program back on track. Showing up to play UNC is part of it. No way we rollover for tourney prep. We'll go hard with what we have....

We are witnessing the beginning 4th reinvention of Duke that K has pulled off. He is posturing for recruiting showing a youthfull swagger as much as he is coaching for the moment, I believe.

Im glad to see it.

Please elaborate on how K is posturing for recruiting. I certainly hope you are right.

devildeac
03-05-2009, 10:01 PM

Scheyer, Singler, Williams and Henderson stretch UNC's 1/2 court D with ball movement and attack the rim with the dribble. UNC is always late on the D rotation. Scheyer, Henderson and Paulus have a sick night from the outside, shooting 40% + on 3's to keep them in it.

UNC gives up a 12 point lead with 4 minutes to go, aided mostly by turnovers from UNC when they force shots and passes inside. It's a tight game at the wire, and UNC makes boneheaded mistake after boneheaded mistake, while a smart, scrappy Duke team continues to make good decisions and big 3's.
UNC is up by 1, 94-93 with 7 seconds to go, and Scheyer takes a charge on TL on the inbounds play. Scheyer drains the 2 free throws to take the lead.

UNC gets it in bounds, and with time running out, TL goes the length of the court to the rim and gets hammered out of bounds by Singler as the shot clangs off the rim. No call. Game over. Duke win.;)

Hmm...

The Perfect Storm or...

reverse weaufing...

NSDukeFan
03-06-2009, 09:45 AM

I agree as this adjustment Carolina made in the second half of last game was key. This and how does Duke prevent Ty Lawson's dribble penetration. I don't like the idea of a zone just because of the problem that causes for rebounding, which will also be important in this game. I just think our man D has to be excellent in terms of help side at the top and rotations to prevent penetration and easy baskets for UNC's bigs. Just as importantly, our transition defense has to be excellent. If Green or Ellington go off outside and we lose that way, I could live with that, but doubt that will happen. I think we can put enough pressure on the perimeter to make interior passing more difficult for them as well.

I am not as concerned on the offensive end, as long as we keep moving the ball as well as we have lately, getting some inside opportunities, then hitting the outside J, not settling for a J without something inside, either passing or dribble penetration.

I would love to see Miles get some minutes and play well, but I have to agree with In Spades
"Did you watch Miles play on tuesday? It wasn't very pretty. I think we'll see him early again (if Thomas is out) but if he plays like he did Tuesday then he will sit back down and we'll see a lot of the smaller lineup (McClure + Singler as the only "bigs").

He has potential, and this would be a great time for a breakout performance and he may get an opportunity. I hope he takes advantage.

Go Duke!

rsvman
03-06-2009, 09:55 AM
I think limiting the number of possessions and slowing the game down are the keys to beating Carolina. Of course, those are flip sides of the same coin.

Last time we played them we tried to run with them. If we do that again it will be a serious mistake, especially given our injury situation.

I would slow the ball down on every possession unless there was a breakaway situation available. Work the ball around and look for the best possible shot. On any made shot, there must be a plan to stop the break, because Carolina will push the ball off our made shots over and over again. It seems like we always fall asleep on this tactic, especially early in the game, and it always costs us at least 6 or 8 points (huge in these games, as they often come down to single-digit differences).

I am also worried about foul trouble, particularly if we continue to overplay the man-to-man as we always do. I would think switching up between a match-up zone and the usual man-to-man would work best. And for those who say you can't zone Carolina because they can shoot too well, remember that we zoned Miami and they have freakin' McClinton. I don't think that K will coach the game the way I have just outlined, however. I thought he should've gone to the zone in the Florida State game when McClure and Singler were in foul trouble and Thomas was injured. Obviously, K knew what he was doing, though, as we pulled out the win.

Go Duke! Go the hell, Carolina, go to hell!

namvet1965
03-06-2009, 09:59 AM
New guy here!. Been a lurker for a long time. I'm a 77 year old 'Heels fan and used to go to games in DIS back in the day. Remember Dick Groat, Koffenberger? Do not see reason for continued high level of hostility re my school or vice versa. The real enemy has always been State. Am friends with lots of Duke people. We tolerate each other well!
Hope you have a good time at the game Sunday, but not too good, if you catch my drift! And, finally we are just a big public school and you are and you are an elite private school. Keep K around a while and he will build a good pgm like ours in CH!

MChambers
03-06-2009, 10:10 AM
New guy here!. Been a lurker for a long time. I'm a 77 year old 'Heels fan and used to go to games in DIS back in the day. Remember Dick Groat, Koffenberger? Do not see reason for continued high level of hostility re my school or vice versa. The real enemy has always been State. Am friends with lots of Duke people. We tolerate each other well!
Hope you have a good time at the game Sunday, but not too good, if you catch my drift! And, finally we are just a big public school and you are and you are an elite private school. Keep K around a while and he will build a good pgm like ours in CH!

Welcomed, honored rival! But want to beat your school badly Sunday.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-06-2009, 10:18 AM

Welcome, namvet1965! I appreciate what you say about being less hostile and getting along despite the rivalry...... life would be so dull without it! You could sit with my blue eyed brother for the game Saturday.

4decadedukie
03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I am late joining this thread and willingly acknowledge that there are individuals with far greater expertise than I. However, I continue to be unimpressed with UNC’s defense: they are an offensive juggernaut, individually they can have great defensive stops and plays, however, I simply have not seen any significant evidence of continuous, systematic, disciplined, team-wide defense. In my opinion, that major flaw, if exploited fully and coherently, should permit Duke to win.

chrisheery
03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I am one of the believers that Miles has what it takes right now to be very good for this team.

To me, it seems to be a situation very similar to Elliot Williams'. He needs confidence, which only comes from good things happening. One very good thing is knowing for sure you are going to play and that you are going to have a chance to make mistakes and play through them. He's one of the more talented guys we have recruited at his position in the past 4 years. He has many of the same skills as Josh McRoberts (maybe not quite the ballhandler), but he clearly is scared to do what comes natrually to him when he is on the court.

If he gets to play a lot and gain confidence and we lose by 2 points, I would consider this game a victory because we would have added a huge peice for our NCAA tourney run.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Welcome, namvet1965! I appreciate what you say about being less hostile and getting along despite the rivalry...... life would be so dull without it! You could sit with my blue eyed brother for the game Saturday.

This must be one of my "questionable" days. I should have said .... You can sit with my blue eyed brother for the game SUNDAY.

Must be the quickly rising temperatures!

ChemGod
03-06-2009, 01:37 PM

Dude, time to put the pipe down. The fumes are making you hallucinate!

OldSchool
03-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I would slow the ball down on every possession unless there was a breakaway situation available. Work the ball around and look for the best possible shot.

Have to disagree here - the key to slowing UNC down and hoping to win is found in getting back on transition D to force UNC to execute their half-court offense -- NOT slowing the ball down on your own possessions.

How did Maryland manage to hange 91 points on UNC in the Dean Dome? They pushed the ball up the floor as quickly as possible, even on made baskets -- while Carolina was admiring the beauty of their last shot, Maryland was checking to see if they could get a quick basket, and if the opportunity was not there, they simply went into their set offense. There are going to be a certain number of opportunities available in those situations, and we can't leave those possible points on the table if we want to win.

On any made shot, there must be a plan to stop the break, because Carolina will push the ball off our made shots over and over again. It seems like we always fall asleep on this tactic, especially early in the game, and it always costs us at least 6 or 8 points (huge in these games, as they often come down to single-digit differences).

Agree completely on this.

I am also worried about foul trouble, particularly if we continue to overplay the man-to-man as we always do. I would think switching up between a match-up zone and the usual man-to-man would work best.

I think they would just murder us on the offensive boards if we go to too much zone. I like throwing it in there every now and then to disrupt their rhythm and make them pause, think and adjust, but for most of the game if we don't immediately get a body on everyone in range for a rebound as soon as a shot goes up, they will kill us on the boards.

dukelifer
03-06-2009, 02:23 PM
The key to this game is staying close. This game, like the last, will have runs. Duke needs to keep it close with three minutes to go and then execute on every possession. The key defensively is to control Lawson. He has killed Duke. Getting him in some sort of foul trouble would be nice. But Lawson is the key pure and simple. The key offensively is to minimize turnovers- well those that lead to transition buckets. If Duke can do this, they have a shot.

feldspar
03-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I need to find a fat kid to pelt with a baseball glove, because in the words of Jimmy Dugan:

We're gonna win......

WE'RE GONNA WIN!!!!

shoutingncu
03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
I need to find a fat kid to pelt with a baseball glove, because in the words of Jimmy Dugan:

We're gonna win......

WE'RE GONNA WIN!!!!

Spoiler Alert: That game didn't work out too well for Dugan's team. I'm just sayin'...

Plus, Paulus still misses the cut-off man, that's something he'll have to work on before post-season.

(Man, that line delivery doesn't translate into text!)

CDu
03-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm sure this has already been said (haven't gone back through and read the post history), but the biggest keys are going to be the following:

1. getting back QUICKLY AS A TEAM on defense;
2. not turning the ball over (this relates directly to #1);
3. paying extra attention to Hansbrough and Lawson; and
4. good defensive rotation (this relates directly to #3).

Nobody is going to stop Lawson one on one in transition. If he can get it going and beat three of our defenders back, we're in trouble. Duke has to get everybody back in position to keep him from just running at the rim all game. UNC's offense is much more effective when they get their transition game going.

Avoiding turnovers is obvious - it gives us more chances to score points (it's hard to score if you don't get a shot up) and it helps reduce transition opportunities.

Because Duke is likely to be undersized down low, we're going to have to work hard to keep Hansbrough away from the basket. Lawson's quickness and aggressiveness with the ball require us to pay close attention to him to keep him out of the lane. This is probably going to require defenders off the ball to overplay on both guys. As a result, defensive rotations are going to be huge.

If UNC plays smart, they'll work the ball in and out of Hansbrough's hands and let Lawson create opportunities off the dribble. That's going to create the possibility of openings for Green, Ellington, and Frasor on the perimeter and Thompson and Davis on the post. In the first game, Duke overplayed Hansbrough and Lawson and chased Green and Ellington, which gave the opportunities to Thompson and Frasor. Those guys produced early and it kept them in the game when Duke made that big first half run.

And of course, on offense, Duke is going to have to execute as well as we have at any point in the season. I'll be SHOCKED if our guys win if they score in the 60s or 70s.

With the injuries likely to be a factor on our side, UNC is the deeper (once again), more experienced, and more talented team. They have the advantage inside and they have the advantage at the point. Duke's wing players dominate their wings and help mitigate their advantages inside. It wouldn't hurt to finally have a really good team shooting performance as well. Our guys can pull off the victory, but it goes without saying that it's going to take their best effort of the season by far.

DUKIECB
03-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Just to add to the number on the front page, I also contacted my local affiliate WFMY channel 2 in Greensboro to let them know about the situation. Maybe everyone else could do the same in their respective area.

killerleft
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
The Heel fans are much more numerous. If they'll call also, then we'll have finally found a good use for them.:D

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-06-2009, 02:59 PM
I saw that some people went over the ACC Tourney seeding earlier in the thread but thought this breakdown was even easier to follow. We can be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd seed.

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/d1scourse/2009/Mar/05/acc-tournament-scenarios/

"DUKE (25-5, 11-4)

* Will be the No. 1 seed with a win at North Carolina AND a Wake Forest win; Duke was 1-1 against Wake Forest, while North Carolina was 0-1.

* Will be the No. 2 seed with a win at North Carolina AND a Wake Forest loss (see above in North Carolina section).

* Will be the No. 2 seed with a loss at North Carolina AND a Wake Forest loss.

* Will be the No. 3 seed with a loss at North Carolina AND a Wake Forest win; the teams split two regular-season games, and Wake Forest will take the No. 2 seed by virtue of going 1-0 against North Carolina while Duke went 0-2."

houstondukie
03-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Could someone explain the issue more clearly so that I know what to complain about exactly? What time is the MVC championship game suppose to be played on Sunday?

aimo
03-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I had to leave a message. but I told them that they'll get more viewers for the Duke game than the end of the other game. People all over the country will be tuning in wondering WTF?!!??

Acymetric
03-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Tell them you won't watch ANY NCAA tournament games if they don't fix this. Or if you don't feel you could back that up, say you won't watch any tournament games not involving Duke. Get enough people to say that and things will get done, otherwise they'll just say "who cares, people will be ticked but they'll still watch and we'll still get ad revenue." Companies don't care about customer satisfaction anymore, because customers are too lazy to actually do anything besides complain.

Edit: They carry the ACC tournament in ACC territory as well I believe, so you could mention not watching that as well.

feldspar
03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
What exactly is the "situation"?

CDu
03-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I saw that some people went over the ACC Tourney seeding earlier in the thread but thought this breakdown was even easier to follow. We can be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd seed.

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/d1scourse/2009/Mar/05/acc-tournament-scenarios/

"DUKE (25-5, 11-4)

* Will be the No. 1 seed with a win at North Carolina AND a Wake Forest win; Duke was 1-1 against Wake Forest, while North Carolina was 0-1.

* Will be the No. 2 seed with a win at North Carolina AND a Wake Forest loss (see above in North Carolina section).

* Will be the No. 2 seed with a loss at North Carolina AND a Wake Forest loss.

* Will be the No. 3 seed with a loss at North Carolina AND a Wake Forest win; the teams split two regular-season games, and Wake Forest will take the No. 2 seed by virtue of going 1-0 against North Carolina while Duke went 0-2."

This can be further simplified. If Wake Forest loses, we are the #2 seed regardless. If Wake Forest wins, we will either be the #1 seed (if we win) or the #3 seed (if we lose).

Duvall
03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
What exactly is the "situation"?

The nightmarish prospect that the MVC title game might run over onto the Duke @ UNC game on Sunday.

DUKIECB
03-06-2009, 03:19 PM
212-975-3247 Try this one too. It is to CBS audience services.

killerleft
03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Could someone explain the issue more clearly so that I know what to complain about exactly? What time is the MVC championship game suppose to be played on Sunday?

The issue is this: They won't switch to the Duke-UNC game until the Missouri Valley tournament final is over. This could mean that ACC folks might be looking at something we don't care about much if the MV game lasts past its allotted two hours. So, it is conceivable that much of the 1st half might not be seen.

Acymetric
03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
You know...how often do games actually only last 2 hours? Shouldn't they give something like 2 and a half and if there's extra time in between just use it for analysis? I'm sure the person making these schedules is getting payed gobs too. Way to go.

fisheyes
03-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I called and was tranferred to Sports and left a message.

You can also leave an email message at: http://www.cbssports.com/help/contactus/usersspeak

Acymetric
03-06-2009, 03:33 PM
I hate to second-guess the mods here, but I feel like a separate thread about the scheduling issue is appropriate. Brings attention to it for one, plus I think its better if the pregame thread is actually about the game, rather than television coverage issues. Thats just me though, just a suggestion.

DUKIECB
03-06-2009, 03:45 PM
I hate to second-guess the mods here, but I feel like a separate thread about the scheduling issue is appropriate. Brings attention to it for one, plus I think its better if the pregame thread is actually about the game, rather than television coverage issues. Thats just me though, just a suggestion.

I agree. Now we have two totally separate conversations going on at once within the same thread. It would be nice if a lot of people would give this some attention, so that something might actually be done about it.

CameronBornAndBred
03-06-2009, 03:52 PM
At least not according to ESPN, who left that option off their front page poll asking "What is the weekend's most interesting event?" (http://espn.go.com/)
Apparently UCONN at Pittsburgh is the only college basketball game worth placing in the poll. I guess if it's not on ESPN, it can't be worth watching.

CDu
03-06-2009, 03:57 PM
At least not according to ESPN, who left that option off their front page poll asking "What is the weekend's most interesting event?" (http://espn.go.com/)
Apparently UCONN at Pittsburgh is the only college basketball game worth placing in the poll. I guess if it's not on ESPN, it can't be worth watching.

Well, in fairness, that's just common sense in terms of marketing. You don't want to suggest that people watch something other than your network. Remember - ESPN buries us with Duke/UNC coverage for the mid-season game that they get to broadcast. I think they're fully aware that Duke/UNC is a bigger deal.

killerleft
03-06-2009, 04:28 PM

I agree. I started to put my suggestion in this thread, but if the idea is to get CBS to get to our game on time, then this isn't the place for it.

OldSchool
03-06-2009, 04:53 PM
1. getting back QUICKLY AS A TEAM on defense;
2. not turning the ball over (this relates directly to #1);
3. paying extra attention to Hansbrough and Lawson; and
4. good defensive rotation (this relates directly to #3).

Write that on the locker room whiteboard.

I would add:

5. Be mentally alert at all times for opportunities to score; don't be content to rely on the half-court offense.

gumbomoop
03-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Well, I'm pretty bummed out by the prospect of missing, even with a 4:07/4:08 tip-off , substantial 1st-half minutes. I know this means we must all hope real hard for a blow-out in the MVC game, for that might at least mean the last minute won't take 15 to "play."

As to our game itself, I'm so thrilled at how we've done in our brutal end-schedule that I don't see a lot of special pressure in this one. The tension has [I]almost gone. It's not quite a "freebie" - for it would be blasphemous to think that - but it might just be a lot of fun to watch a fierce contest between two, or at least one and a half, admirable teams.

Hendo's improvement, consistency, and attitude - as in "attitude" - have been wondrous. Singler has overcome a mild slump, Wms has been a big plus, DMc, Lance, and Paulus have contributed in countless ways, and Scheyer, to quote the Playcaller for the 4th time, "is really good at playing basketball." [Here I repeat a request I've made twice this year: gimme the names of a couple of other current college players whose court-awareness matches Scheyer's. Gimme. Curry?]

I still absolutely think UNC is the team to beat for NC. I have been shocked at the manner of their departure the last 3 years, but especially the last 2. Maybe I'm missing what other posters are seeing, to wit, some real weaknesses. Yes, they've lost 3, so their presumed perfection hasn't been, well, perfect. Still, I do expect them to turn it on this year.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really hope Nolan and Lance are held out, for this game isn't quite as important as it was a week or so ago. [Jeez, I'm gonna get pounded for that thought. OK, how's this: on a scale of 10, it's only a 12, not a 15.] True, their absence clearly gives the depth advantage to the Heels, and heaven knows they don't need no advantages. Anything could happen Sunday, and I expect to enjoy a fierce game.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-06-2009, 09:24 PM
How did Maryland manage to hange 91 points on UNC in the Dean Dome?

They got a lot of posessions chasing UNC's 108 points...

CameronBornAndBred
03-06-2009, 09:46 PM
They got a lot of posessions chasing UNC's 108 points...
Very true. You're a Duke player now, Wheat. Shav!

paulusintheclutch
03-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Here is the biggest game of the year. I am excited to see how Elliot Williams reacts to the big game atmosphere, how Henderson can step it up in the big game, and how we can play as a team against the best team we will face until the tournament. This, guys, is the preview of the NCAA Tournament. If we can't stay in it, hell, if we can't win this game, it's not good news for the tournament.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I still absolutely think UNC is the team to beat for NC. I have been shocked at the manner of their departure the last 3 years, but especially the last 2. Maybe I'm missing what other posters are seeing, to wit, some real weaknesses. Yes, they've lost 3, so their presumed perfection hasn't been, well, perfect. Still, I do expect them to turn it on this year.

UNC is a very good team, certainly capable of winning it all. And its hard to be too critical when they have only lost 3 games by small margins all year. But what worries me about this UNC team is they just don't seem to have a grasp of the "intangibles". At least at the level you would expect from a championship team. They continue to make poor decisions at key moments, time after time, game after game. And a bonehead foul, or forced shot, or dumb pass attempt, can come from any of them, not just one or two guys. This is often masked when they are up by 14, but just look at the last MD as an example of what I mean.

As for talent and athletic skill, they really don't have any glaring weakness on the court, like Duke does in the post. But they are not even close to having the team "savvy" that this Duke team has.

UNC's balance and talent might be enough, but I'm not overconfident with this team.

David did kick Goliath's butt after all using his brain.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Very true. You're a Duke player now, Wheat. Shav!

I saw that. It didn't bother me too much when I was Elton Brand, but this is getting to me:)

captmojo
03-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I've given thought to the keys for victory in this game. I think it basically falls into two main categories.

1) Don't get beat down the floor in transition to defense. Will it will be a foot race or should the guards hedge their positioning to break out? Hedge. An occasional leak-out in offensive transition might not hurt.

2) Keep them outside. If this means zone, so be it, just not the same form every time. Watch out that you stay in a straight line between your man and the basket and keep him boxed-out. Play over-play defense very judiciously.

I'd list one other thing but I've already said "two". What the Hell. Hit your free throws. Don't leave scoring chances unfulfilled. They won't.

GTHC
Let's Go Duke!

throatybeard
03-07-2009, 01:30 AM
This highlight reel of the last meeting in Chapel Hill is a nice antidote to many recent memories (5 losses in last 6 meetings) of our our re-emergence as UNC's whuppin mule:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlHdIDFZzXc

gep
03-07-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm reminded of the 2001 year... Carlos went down in the last home game against Maryland... ALL fans said "that's it" for the season. Coach K devises a scheme... for the next game (and last regular season game) at unc. We see a totally different team... with Casey and Reggie and Shane and Chris in totally different roles, and what... Duke WINS!!!

Now, Carlos and Lance are not quite the same... but Miles and Casey and Reggie... maybe not so different? In any case, who knows what Coach K and gang will come up with. After all, the had 4-5 days to figure this thing out.

I'm looking for a VERY intersting game... win or lose...

GO DUKE!!!!!

Bob Green
03-07-2009, 02:43 AM
Okay Bob, not to hijack the thread, but does the 1999 loss to UCONN still hurt a little when you think back to it? I think a loss be it THREE or ten years ago stings the most when you have every expectation for Duke to win and they don't.

My entire post was tongue-in-cheek. I simply jumped on an opportunity to whine about 1974 again. Another failed attempt at humor I guess.

bjornolf
03-07-2009, 07:46 AM
UNC is a very good team, certainly capable of winning it all. And its hard to be too critical when they have only lost 3 games by small margins all year. But what worries me about this UNC team is they just don't seem to have a grasp of the "intangibles". At least at the level you would expect from a championship team. They continue to make poor decisions at key moments, time after time, game after game. And a bonehead foul, or forced shot, or dumb pass attempt, can come from any of them, not just one or two guys. This is often masked when they are up by 14, but just look at the last MD as an example of what I mean.

As for talent and athletic skill, they really don't have any glaring weakness on the court, like Duke does in the post. But they are not even close to having the team "savvy" that this Duke team has.

UNC's balance and talent might be enough, but I'm not overconfident with this team.

This Carolina team reminds me a little of the Duke team of 1998-1999 (I get my years a little fuzzy, though, but it was sometime around then). They had all the talent in the world, but really weren't challenged much during the season. Then, when they got in a close one in the finals, they didn't handle it very well. K said something that year about being a little worried about not being in any close games that they had to "earn", but then laughed it off saying that he'd rather win them big than have a bunch of nail biters. This UNC team kind of reminds me of that team. We'll see how they do when the chips are down.

Faison1
03-07-2009, 07:58 AM

The way you just described UNC '09 is the way I've felt about many UNC teams in the past. Very talented, but sometimes lacking discipline. But against Duke, they would always seem to get VERY focused. When tournament time would roll around, lack of focus would creep back in....think tourney of '94....was that the BC loss?

This year's team has all the talent needed to win....and if they pull it together, it will be VERY difficult for Duke to win on Sunday. Unless Duke plays the game of their lives, and Lawson is slowed down enough that Paulus can guard him......

Wheat/"/"/"
03-07-2009, 11:37 AM
If I'm coaching this game, I am challenging UNC to get the ball into TH and Deon. I tell them to spread the spacing in the half court and look to go over the top of the D. And if those two don't score 45 points combined, they will run 'till they lose a lung.

UNC has a big advantage inside, and there is no excuse for UNC to not pound it down low. Even when the freshmen Davis and Zeller come in, UNC has the advantage. The fouls will mount up on Duke if they get the ball into the blocks.

TH is the best ACC scorer in the post since Jamison, and UNC needs to get him the ball in position better. Jamison had Cota feeding him great entry passes, that's not a Lawson strength. TH has not had anyone really get him the ball consistantly in good position all year. Again, I think that is a factor of a lack of court awareness at times from UNC.

Lawson, Ellington and Green must be patient with shot selection. Duke will give them just enough room to hang themselves if they rush things. They will get the good shots if they get it inside first, and those three can shoot it.

On D, UNC has got to guard the rim better than the last game. That's where Duke is going on dribble penetration. I think Duke will employ a "slash and burn" gameplan. Deon, Davis and Green need to get some shot blocks early to establish themselves on D.

Duke just does not match up well with UNC this year, which is really crazy when you look at them both in the top ten. Just the makeup of the player's individual talents.

While I know to expect the unexpected, I just can't see Duke finding a way to win this one, other than 4 Duke players shooting lights out and UNC "beating themselves" as I know you guys like to hear at the buzzer:)

UNC would have to have a poor outside shooting night, and commit a lot of turnovers. With this team, that is entirely possible, but I wouldn't say likely.

If they play well, and Duke plays well, I still expect a 14+ point UNC win.

How's that for optimism? :)

wisteria
03-07-2009, 11:42 AM

hmmmm.... it can't be marketing issue. Uconn @ Pitt is also a CBS game.

Grey Devil
03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
This highlight reel of the last meeting in Chapel Hill is a nice antidote to many recent memories (5 losses in last 6 meetings) of our our re-emergence as UNC's whuppin mule:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlHdIDFZzXc

Thanks for sharing that link, Throaty. It's always great to see Carolina go down to defeat, especially when they play us.

As I watched it a few things really stood out for me:

We need to hit our threes (I loved Mike Patrick's line: "It's raining threes in Chapel Hill!"). But key to that game in my mind, Paulus was really on. I know a number of folks malign that guy, but I think his ability to hit threes could make up for his defensive inability to keep up with the likes of Lawson (keep Elliot on him). Plus it will open up their already porous defense for us to drive to the basket.
Take advantage of Carolina's weak defense. We were driving through them the whole game (well, at least in these clips), especially Henderson. If we can spin them around on D (make them come out to guard our threes and then drive or pass to the basket) then we'll beat them!
Play really tough Duke-style defense. Carolina folded under our defensive pressure last year in Chapel Hill. It will be critical that we force them out of their comfort zone on offense and score off of our D. We need to get back quick on defense after scoring and play them belly up, chest to chest. Except for Hansbrough, and maybe Lawson, I don't think they can handle that kind of tough D.
I am so glad that Dickie V will not be doing our game. Okay so that one's not key to our winning, but it is key to my state of mind. I just hate it when he wanders off topic and starts talking about some other player in some other game, soing something possibly not even related to the game we're watching! In a game as critical as this one, I want to know what's going on, what the call that was just made was, who has how many fouls, who made the key play that opened up a teammate for an open shot, etc., etc., and not how some other player on some other team in some other game behaved when making some other play that is not even related to what just happened in the current game! Man, that guy just really steams me sometimes!

I think if we can take advantage of #2 to drive the lanes, hit our threes, and pressure them on defense (especially find a way to stop or slow down Lawson) then we can win. It will be tough, especially with three guys hobbled by injuries, but it can be done. It will come down to fundamentals (I know that is a cliche), but I think K can create a game plan to overcome that issue (as others have pointed out when Boozer was out in '01).

We can win this game!

Go Duke! GTHC! GTH!

Grey Devil

rsvman
03-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Have to disagree here - the key to slowing UNC down and hoping to win is found in getting back on transition D to force UNC to execute their half-court offense -- NOT slowing the ball down on your own possessions.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. While I don't argue your point about the importance of transition D, I think slowing down our own offense provides two benefits (three in the case of this weekend's matchup):
1. UNC's defense gets progressively laxadaisical as the clock runs and an offense continues to "set up" instead of "attack." They can muster up enough energy to play tough D for 15 seconds or so, and then they begin to let up. It's almost like they subconsciously think, "Oh, so the offense isn't going to do anything. We can relax now."
2. They love to play uptempo. The more you take them out of that game and turn it into a half-court game, the worse their offense plays. When you take them out of their tempo, they lose rhythm on the offensive end.
3. We are short-handed because of injury. They have any number of fresh bodies to come off the bench. If we try to play the game to THEIR tempo, we could do OK for 3/4 of the game and then, at the end, we just won't be able to keep up. If we get 1/2 step slower because of fatigue, they will exploit it. You'll see Lawson driving in for the "hoop and the harm" or the dish for a slam over and over again, and we'll watch their dust to the finish line.

In. my. opinion. :)

DukieBoy
03-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Someone else might have said this, but here is the official injury report (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/03/06/duke.injuries.ap/index.html)

Nolan = out (we all knew that)
Lance = questionable
Z = in

Wander
03-07-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm in favor of an epic "we're going to play our five starters 40 minutes each" game just for the hell of it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-07-2009, 02:59 PM
bjornolf, would you ask your mom to cast a little Creole spell on Carolina..... s'il vous plait? What I have in mind is just a small one. The big ones are more appropriate for tournament. I don't believe there are any NCAA regulations which speak to spells being cast on opposing teams.

ncexnyc
03-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Just had a halftime report at the Florida vs Kentucky game, which stated Lawson had injured his big toe and didn't practice. The report implied he may not play on Sunday. Somehow I doubt he won't play and this sounds like more of UNC mind games.

MrBisonDevil
03-07-2009, 03:27 PM
ESPN - Men's Basketball - Top stories - March 7th 3:19est
"No. 4 Pitt upends top-ranked UConn"
"FSU to vacate wins, serve probation"
"Duke will be without G Smith against Tar Heels"
"Mills cleared to play; St. Mary's adds game"
"Ivy changes Cornell-Penn score"

-----

Does Duke have a secret weapon named "G Smith" was going to destroy UNC? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Guard Smith... I get it. Thank's Bluedog. I need fully wake up before I start reading.

Bluedog
03-07-2009, 03:32 PM
ESPN - Men's Basketball - Top stories - March 7th 3:19est
"No. 4 Pitt upends top-ranked UConn"
"FSU to vacate wins, serve probation"
"Duke will be without G Smith against Tar Heels"
"Mills cleared to play; St. Mary's adds game"
"Ivy changes Cornell-Penn score"

-----

Does Duke have a secret weapon named "G Smith" was going to destroy UNC? :rolleyes:

G Smith means "Guard Smith," which is correct. The official headline is "Duke will be without G Nolan Smith when faces North Carolina"...but I can understand how that could be easily misinterpreted.

chi
03-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Three reasons why Duke/UNC will win (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=525271)

"Still no one can stop Ty Lawson (except maybe his big toe)" Ha ...

Five things to watch in UNC-Duke (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/03/07/Duke.UNC/?eref=sircrc)

Rogue
03-08-2009, 01:31 PM
GTHC GTH:cool:

bjornolf
03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
gthc gth!
gthc gth!
gthc gth!
GTHC GTH!
GTHC GTH!
GTHC GTH!
GTHC GTH!

mgtr
03-08-2009, 03:59 PM
First game is OT, we will miss a lot!

Biscuit King
03-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Perfect, the MVC Championship game goes to OT, ensuring that most of us will miss the start of the game. Anyone have a link to a feed showing Duke from the tip?

dukeballer2294
03-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I cant believe were missing a top ten duke/unc game for a mwc game, they should have another channel for the start of the game

chi
03-08-2009, 04:11 PM
http://www.justin.tv/rushvsn2

DukieBoy
03-08-2009, 04:14 PM
My snrub.com stopped working:eek:

FerryFor50
03-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Wow, a Hansbrough flop for a charge already. Awesome.

FerryFor50
03-08-2009, 04:17 PM
And then he flops AGAIN and whines that he didn't get the call. Man I'll be glad when he's gone.

InSpades
03-08-2009, 04:18 PM
http://www.justin.tv/rushvsn2

Thank you for that!

Mabdul Doobakus
I was gonna punch someone if Illinois St hit that 3 at the end. And I'm the only person here, so I would've ended up punching myself.

roywhite
Ty Lawson---profiles in courage.

Nauseating.

should_be_working
03-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Is this game being broadcast in High definition on CBS? I don't know if its not in high def or the fact that i'm under a tornado watch that its messing with high def broadcasting.

DukieBoy
03-08-2009, 04:25 PM
wow now i have a severe weather update and miss duke's 7-0 run to take the lead....sweet.

House G
03-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Is this game being broadcast in High definition on CBS? I don't know if its not in high def or the fact that i'm under a tornado watch that its messing with high def broadcasting.
With any luck, you'll only lose your audio!

_Gary
03-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Ty Lawson---profiles in courage.

Nauseating.

Yeah, I love how that's the first thing the announcers mentioned when we got the game here in the Tampa Bay area. Not a word about Lance or, of course, Nolan. It's all about Carolina. :rolleyes:

DukieBoy
03-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Watching Hansbrough hit threes = :mad:

FerryFor50
03-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I love how that's the first thing the announcers mentioned when we got the game here in the Tampa Bay area. Not a word about Lance or, of course, Nolan. It's all about Carolina. :rolleyes:

"The big news" was that Lawson was going to play? I dunno about the rest of you, but I never had a doubt.

should_be_working
03-08-2009, 04:30 PM
With any luck, you'll only lose your audio!

Haha, well sometimes when we have a storm/tornado watch/warning graphic it doesn't show the channel in high def, so i'm wondering if its supposed to be in high def.

I'd really like to see us try a 2-3 zone, i think that could really help contain lawson and help with mismatches that we create when we switch

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-08-2009, 04:31 PM
How do you get so mad after you flopped for the second time?

It's not the refs fault you threw yourself on the ground. Don't be pissed because your hit your head on the floor after you jumped 2 feet backwards.

And why so quiet in there? It sounds like an NBA regular season game right now.

Son of Mojo
03-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Beaker hitting 2 three's....not good....neither is the 2 double-dribbles I've seen them get away with. If Gerald can keep driving I think he'll keep getting hand-check fouls on them. We still need to stick more of our shots and keep them from having 10' and in shots.

Constantstrain 81
03-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Also, Gene Banks hit the shot in 1981 to send the game into OT.

Huh?
03-08-2009, 04:35 PM
wow now i have a severe weather update and miss duke's 7-0 run to take the lead....sweet.

Move to NC

FerryFor50
Beaker hitting 2 three's....not good....neither is the 2 double-dribbles I've seen them get away with. If Gerald can keep driving I think he'll keep getting hand-check fouls on them. We still need to stick more of our shots and keep them from having 10' and in shots.

You saw the double dribbles, too? I thought I was just insane.

Constantstrain 81
Hans has the ball stripped, apparently bailed out by the refs.

I don't understand ... I thought we got all the calls.

roywhite

Amen on that. Seemed pretty obvious.

FerryFor50
03-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Hans has the ball stripped, apparently bailed out by the refs.

I don't understand ... I thought we got all the calls.

Better yet, they said he was in the act of shooting.

Awesome.

FerryFor50
03-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Did we really need the replay to see if it was a 2 or 3? The ref had his arm up.... not to mention it was pretty cut and dry.

Huh?
03-08-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm watching Thomas, he can hardly move at times......love the guts to be in there, we need him...EMAIL FOR 3!

House G
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Amen on that. Seemed pretty obvious.
Call your banks!

FerryFor50
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Why is it that the only time Deon Thompson is worth a damn is when he plays Duke?

Greg_Newton
03-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Good lord, I'm almost starting to feel bad for Drew.

FireOgilvie
03-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice to see someone else get dunked over...

Huh?
03-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Call your banks!

GENE!

DukieBoy
03-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Haha watching Hanstravel cry with blood all over his face just made my day

FerryFor50
03-08-2009, 04:46 PM
GENE!

Elizabeth?

http://www.hollywoodchicago.com/uploaded_images/elizabeth_banks.jpg

Atldukie79
03-08-2009, 04:47 PM
We are hititng our 3s, but we need to turn them over more. I'm already wrn out

devildeac
03-08-2009, 04:47 PM
snrub dead?

Greg_Newton
03-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Gotta love our poise so far. We've been getting good looks and knocking them down, and haven't given them many easy-points transition opportunities. Here's hoping we keep it up.

House G
03-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Elizabeth?

http://www.hollywoodchicago.com/uploaded_images/elizabeth_banks.jpg
Very nice! Much better than the commercial break.

YmoBeThere
03-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I've never been a fan of Gumby

DukieInKansas
03-08-2009, 04:51 PM
snrub dead?

So it's not just me?

YmoBeThere
03-08-2009, 04:51 PM
snrub dead?

Looks like it to me

DukieBoy
03-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Yay more severe weather updates. Now i miss the last minute of the half.

YmoBeThere
03-08-2009, 04:53 PM
I was the only one in there...perhaps I had the wrong link?

House G
03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Yay more severe weather updates. Now i miss the last minute of the half.
So you didn't see LT travel?

Son of Mojo
03-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Make that 2 phantom fouls on Lance......(bad travel he did, though he shouldn't have had the ball in that spot). What did he foul DrinkyCrow with on that last call? Both of his hands were up and he didn't body up. Let's build on that big point lead in the 2nd half!!

YmoBeThere
Gotta love our poise so far. We've been getting good looks and knocking them down, and haven't given them many easy-points transition opportunities. Here's hoping we keep it up.

Agreed, I think we might have gotten a better shot at the buzzer but its nice going into the half with a lead.

FerryFor50
So you didn't see LT travel?

I guess he switched his pivot foot. He wasn't the first one to do that in this game. Just the first one to be called for it.

What the heck is he doing out there anyway? Can't we get a better high post option to do that?

devildeac
03-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Good half. About even on the TO and %shooting and we kept them under 40 for the half. We can't have an 0-14 run like we did at home. Jon and Kyle will need some help.

House G
03-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I guess he switched his pivot foot. He wasn't the first one to do that in this game. Just the first one to be called for it.

What the heck is he doing out there anyway? Can't we get a better high post option to do that?
Yeah, I guess he didn't think they would call a foot shuffle in the Dean Dome.

devildeac
03-08-2009, 05:01 PM
random stats-56% overall and 5/12 from 3 if I heard right.

Kyle with 15, 11 for Jon

5 assists, 2 points and 1 toe for lawson so far

DukeChapel'90
03-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Scheyer is really looking good on offense matched up against Lawson.

InSpades
03-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Did Greg Anthony just say that Tyler might go down as the most accomplished player in ACC history? Please. Shouldn't he have to win atleast 1 national championship to be the most accomplished?

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Our guys are playing tough. I agree that it's a good sign that their halftime score is under 40.

The Duke Radio Network guys say it's hot. The air conditioning must be broken or there's a budget shortfall.

devildeac
03-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Our guys are playing tough. I agree that it's a good sign that their halftime score is under 40.

The Duke Radio Network guys say it's hot. The air conditioning must be broken or there's a budget shortfall.

Nope. It's just that carowhina is in hell!

Greg_Newton
03-08-2009, 05:05 PM
What a half by Scheyer... 11 points on 4 shots, 4 assists and no TOs that I can remember. He's making smart plays, running the team with composure and hitting big shots. Loves it.

arnie
:)
Scheyer is really looking good on offense matched up against Lawson.

We are playing very well and under control. Of course its easier when Lawson is recovering from major toe surgery yesterday.

Coballs
Greg Anthony just declared Tyler Hansbrough the most accomplished player in the history of the ACC. Uh, forgetting about someone Greg? An old nemesis perhaps?

Devilsfan
03-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Just wondering. Is North Carolinas coach (don't want to call out anyone by name and I forgot his anyways) a great recruiter and a terrible coach or a terrible coach and a great recruiter?

ArnieMc
03-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Has unc been wearing argyle uniforms all year? Yeettcchh!!

captmojo
03-08-2009, 05:10 PM

He switched the pivot point one one foot, from heel to toe. Good call. :(

DukieBoy
03-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Not to be devils advocate, but this looks alot like the first half of last game.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Duke playing very well and smart in the first half. UNC, not so much.
I lost count on the number on boneheaded plays from UNC, but there is another half to come.

The two keys for Duke to win are there so far...shoot lights out, and UNC playing dumb and trying to force things.

Still as bad as UNC has played, to be down only one at the half is encouraging, (at least to me).

I'm having a hard time understanding why UNC is not feeding the post more, but then again, this team has been frustrating to me all year. Just a meat and potatoes entry pass is all they need to concentrate on, instead TH has been at the high post and Deon is setting up way to far from the basket. Roy, call me when you get a minute....:)

captmojo
03-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm interested to hear the playcaller's version of the foul on Lance at 7:44 and how they assumed he was in the act of shooting.

FireOgilvie
03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
I wish we had more than 4 guys who have scored... maybe Lance or Paulus will get something going.

_Gary
03-08-2009, 05:18 PM
The two keys for Duke to win are there so far...shoot lights out, and UNC playing dumb and trying to force things.

Come on Wheat. Don't go Okulaja(sp.) on us.

sbpollo
03-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Bad weather here, so can only see small square!! Last 4 min. of first half in HD!! Maybe the wind will blow UNC away!!

House G
03-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Once again, only replays on Duke "fouls" that are not called.

Greg_Newton
03-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah that looked like pretty good D by EWill on Lawson. Would have liked to see a replay of that.

And where in the world was the "foul" on that missed layup by Lawson???

Huh?
03-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Anyone know what unc is shooting so far in the second half?

DukieBoy
03-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Lights out

House G
03-08-2009, 05:36 PM
What does Kyle have to do to get a call?

YmoBeThere
03-08-2009, 05:37 PM
At this point, just put Ellington at the line.

YmoBeThere
03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
What does Kyle have to do to get a call?

Hang out with the media more?

kaufmjo
03-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Man UNC is a good team. We are playing really well, albeit missing some shots and cant seem to stop them. Need to hang within 5 up to 6 mins then put on a defensive stop and take the lead

ice-9
03-08-2009, 05:41 PM

I think I heard one of the announcers say 70%...yikes.

DukeChapel'90
03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
ESPN says UNC is 57.7% for the game and only 58.8% FT. Lets foul some more.

_Gary
03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Losing the rebounding war badly. This was a strength for the team a month or so ago, but not today. Between that and UNC just being red hot it's getting close to danger time.

House G
03-08-2009, 05:51 PM
The 4th foul on Singler should have been the 4th on TH!

Greg_Newton
03-08-2009, 05:52 PM
What a flagrant flop by Hansbrough. That was a huge call too. Officiating has not been great IMO.

DukieBoy
The 4th foul on Singler should have been the 4th on TH!

F'ing terrible call. Hanstravel flopped hardcore

SharkD
Two consecutive Hanstravel flops -- and the one that gets a whistle is the one where he takes a charge, while walking sideways.

Huh?
03-08-2009, 05:53 PM
That should have been a no call

Greg_Newton
03-08-2009, 05:54 PM
WHAT in the world was that and-one call that just went against Thomas??? He just stood there with his hands straight up!

Huh?
03-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Is there a way to get Big 10 Refs or Pac 10 refs. These ACC refs are just blowing it both ways.

_Gary
03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Is there a way to get Big 10 Refs or Pac 10 refs. These ACC refs are just blowing it both ways.

I beg to differ on the "both" part of your sentence. We are getting hosed big time on some questionable plays that Hans seems to keep being a part of.

DukieBoy
03-08-2009, 06:00 PM
I half expected Singler to be called for a charge on the last drive he had.

should_be_working
03-08-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm glad i've watched a weather report for the most part of the second half

SharkD
03-08-2009, 06:02 PM

I've been appalled by the officiating (or lack thereof) in the ACC this season -- I've seen far too many horribly blown calls, hyper-physical games where only mid-court touches are whistled, and far, far, far too many intentional elbows thrown without any repercussions.

Greg_Newton
03-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Boy, whatever happens from here on out, Scheyer has had an amazing game. 24 points on 100% shooting, and so many huge, tough shots to keep us in it I've lost count.

kaufmjo
03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
UNC just too good today. Nice try by Devils, however Heels are best team in nation. Not enough balance on duke team

Huh?
03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I beg to differ on the "both" part of your sentence. We are getting hosed big time on some questionable plays that Hans seems to keep being a part of.

Your right, just didn't know if I was just biased

dukediv2013
03-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Game Over

DukieInBrasil
despite the enthusiasm i had for our inside game earlier this year, it is starting to look like a re-run from last year. Z is giving us essentially nothing and LT (maybe the injury is part of his play this game) is not doing much better. Dave does what Dave does, but he is not an inside presence. Plumlee looks good at times but as a Fr., he hasn[t gotten to show too much stuff.
We havent been able to do anything to stop Thompson which is only compounded by not having defended the 3pt shot at all.
Bummer of a game, but at least we held them to under 100pts.

SharkD
What...!? GH tied up while running, without a reach-in!?

Stray Gator
03-08-2009, 06:07 PM
You just have to shake your head at how Singler gets pushed out of bounds every time he grabs a rebound under UNC's basket and there hasn't been a single whistle. Utterly laughable.

House G
UNC just too good today. Nice try by Devils, however Heels are best team in nation. Not enough balance on duke team
Yeah, I hope we don't have to play them in the national semis, I'd rather beat them for the NC.

micah75
Haha watching Hanstravel cry with blood all over his face just made my day

What a thing to get all giddy about.

Nice.

Son of Mojo
I hate saying it comes to this, but it's mighty hard to win when you're outmanned on the court 8 on 5.....

burns15
03-08-2009, 06:09 PM
i am stunned by the absolute lack of effort in the rebounding department by the devils. they got hammered on the boards compounded by the fact that they could not defend carolina today. everytime they needed a stop they were unable to get it. surprising for a team that prides itself on defense

KShip21
03-08-2009, 06:11 PM
I don't like to talk about officiating, but I hope all of the "Duke gets all the calls" folks watched this game closely......

terrih
03-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Bye Ty.