PDA

View Full Version : Update on Lance?

Lord Ash
03-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Figured I would post this up here, as I am sure we will hear some update? I did not get to watch, so any news is really, really welcome.

Duvall
03-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Figured I would post this up here, as I am sure we will hear some update? I did not get to watch, so any news is really, really welcome.

According to K, they think it's a sprain and not a break, but it doesn't sound good. We probably shouldn't expect him back quickly.

mehmattski
03-03-2009, 11:04 PM
According to K, they think it's a sprain and not a break, but it doesn't sound good. We probably shouldn't expect him back quickly.

He was able to put a shoe back on when they wrapped it, which is a good sign that there wasn't too much swelling. I would say he's almost certain to sit on Saturday, unfortunately. Get well soon Lance!

BlueintheFace
03-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Please Basketball Gods.... you have left us alone for most of the season. PLEASE, No more! You have now claimed two players.... you have had your fill. Enough.

Newton_14
03-03-2009, 11:11 PM

Hate you missed it. Twas a great game once our boys got rolling.

Lance was sprinting to half court and jumped to try to intercept a pass, and it was a 3 way battle for the ball with Eliot and a FSU guy. They all kind of made contact in the air and Lance came down really awkwardly. They never showed a good replay to see if he rolled it or what, but he did not get up and then had to be helped directly to the locker room.

They did say it was a bad sprain and not a fracture. I would doubt he plays against the holes, but maybe ready for the tourney...

BD80
03-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Please Basketball Gods.... you have left us alone for most of the season. PLEASE, No more! You have now claimed two players.... you have had your fill. Enough.

How many more must go down??

If you must have another, take me instead!

Uncle Drew
03-03-2009, 11:12 PM

And all the Duke fans said....."amen". :(

WiJoe
03-03-2009, 11:29 PM

I'm missing someone. Who?

Edouble
03-03-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm missing someone. Who?

Nolan.

ice-9
03-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Nolan??

InSpades
03-03-2009, 11:37 PM
He was able to put a shoe back on when they wrapped it, which is a good sign that there wasn't too much swelling. I would say he's almost certain to sit on Saturday, unfortunately. Get well soon Lance!

I'm not greedy. Lance can rest saturday. Let's just hope he's ready to play on SUNDAY!

geraldsneighbor
03-03-2009, 11:51 PM
WRAL is classifying it a high ankle sprain. Hopefully we get him back in a week of two.

jimsumner
03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Early indications are a high ankle sprain. Will know more tomorrow.

But if it is a high ankle sprain, no way for Sunday and I wouldn't hold my breath for Atlanta.

Those folks calling for more Plumlee will get their wish. Hope he plays better than he did tonight.

Smith not looking good for Sunday either but no decision yet.

DukeFencer
03-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Nolan??

Concussion. Maryland game. Collided with screen and has been out since then, sitting on the bench wearing ear plugs. In lovely colored sweater.

Devilhawks
03-04-2009, 12:09 AM
In lovely colored sweater.

And even better shoes

chi
03-04-2009, 12:12 AM
"Krzyzewski also said it's believed the reserve center Brian Zoubek sustained a broken nose in the second half."

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/duke_31253___article.html/florida_state.html

BlueintheFace
03-04-2009, 12:22 AM
"Krzyzewski also said it's believed the reserve center Brian Zoubek sustained a broken nose in the second half."

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/duke_31253___article.html/florida_state.html

Oh, COME ON!!! Basketball Gods.... seriously. Chill the frick out!

sue71, esq
03-04-2009, 12:22 AM

Oh how I wish it was April 1 right now and this was an April Fools Joke. Anyone else with an as-yet-to-be-disclosed injury?

All the best to the walking wounded... this team is made of steel and most important, they've got a heart of gold right now!

DukeCO2009
03-04-2009, 12:57 AM
I've long maintained that Lance is our X-factor. This is not good news. Get well soon, man...like really soon.

chi
03-04-2009, 01:04 AM
"Krzyzewski said late last night that he didn't know the extent of Thomas' injury.

"We don't think it's broken," Krzyzewski said. "I think it's fairly serious, maybe a high-ankle sprain. I don't want to say until tomorrow (after further tests). We'll see."

Krzyzewski said that Brian Zoubek, a 7-0 reserve center, broke his nose. Zoubek suffered a bloody nose with 15:29 left and was taken out of the game while trainers stopped the bleeding. He did return to play.

Duke officials said late last night that Zoubek will be examined today to fully determine if his nose is broken."

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/mar/04/devils-rally-for-win-over-seminoles/

Bob Green
03-04-2009, 07:28 AM
The injuries are concerning but hopefully Smith, Thomas, and Zoubek are all healthy and ready to play when the NCAAT kicks off on 19 March. While the ACCT is near and dear to my heart and I strongly desire for Duke to win, the NCAAT is the real deal and my true focus.

jv001
03-04-2009, 08:03 AM

Zoubs with a mask. Now that would be something to behold. Let's hope he can go Sunday. Does not look good for Lance with a high ankle sprain. That type of injury taks a while to heal. Go Duke!

rthomas
03-04-2009, 08:13 AM
"Krzyzewski said late last night that he didn't know the extent of Thomas' injury.

"We don't think it's broken," Krzyzewski said. "I think it's fairly serious, maybe a high-ankle sprain. I don't want to say until tomorrow (after further tests). We'll see."

Krzyzewski said that Brian Zoubek, a 7-0 reserve center, broke his nose. Zoubek suffered a bloody nose with 15:29 left and was taken out of the game while trainers stopped the bleeding. He did return to play.

Duke officials said late last night that Zoubek will be examined today to fully determine if his nose is broken."

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/mar/04/devils-rally-for-win-over-seminoles/

15:29 left? He was pivotal in tipping out the rebound to Henderson in last minute or so of the game - thought he must have been hit on that tip.

bjornolf
03-04-2009, 09:03 AM
I remember thinking that his nose looked kind of "off" at about that time, and him kind of pushing at it and dabbing at it with his hand as he jogged down court. If he really did break it, that's a tough dude. I finished a rugby game once after dislocating my shoulder, and it's no fun.

elvis14
03-04-2009, 09:18 AM

I'll take one for the team. To appease the basketball Gods, I will have Duke Sports Medicine perform micro-fracture surgery on my left knee on March 12th. Surely, that will be enough sacrificed to the basketball Gods to get us through the rest of the season!

Now let's just hope the surgery gets scheduled early enough for me to be awake to watch a HEALTHY Duke team play the ACC tournament!

miramar
03-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Needless to say, high ankle sprains are a serious problem. Right now Duke is essentially a seven-man squad, unless Plumlee can have a break-out performance. Think Reggie Love, Casey Sanders, but much younger.

Kim*
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Needless to say, high ankle sprains are a serious problem. Right now Duke is essentially a seven-man squad, unless Plumlee can have a break-out performance. Think Reggie Love, Casey Sanders, but much younger.
That's exactly what I thought to myself when I saw Lance go down last night.

jipops
03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Early indications are a high ankle sprain. Will know more tomorrow.

But if it is a high ankle sprain, no way for Sunday and I wouldn't hold my breath for Atlanta.

Those folks calling for more Plumlee will get their wish. Hope he plays better than he did tonight.

Smith not looking good for Sunday either but no decision yet.

High ankle sprains can take forever to heal. There are cases where players have taken the better part of the season to get over those so I'm not getting my hopes up for Lance being able to contribute much the rest of the season. I seem to remember Nate James suffering through this one season. This absolutely sucks. The month of March has been very unlucky for us these past few years.

bjornolf
03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Best wishes to Lance on a speedy recovery, but if it really is a high ankle sprain, he probably won't be back before the NCAAT, and he probably wouldn't be 100% then. Football players that have to cut (like running backs) often miss a month or more for a high ankle sprain. Athletic basketball players (outside of a total lurch center with no athleticism that basically just clogs up the middle) are VERY limited by a high ankle sprain. Unless it's a VERY minor one (which I pray it is), he's won't be 100% before the NCAAT, and maybe even the second weekend of the NCAAT, and THAT'S if everything goes perfectly. Low ankle sprains are MUCH better, even severe ones, as braces can let you get by after about a week.

moonpie23
03-04-2009, 10:02 AM
wasn't the "high ankle sprain" what lawson had last season when he sat out for a lot of games?

CDu
03-04-2009, 10:06 AM
wasn't the "high ankle sprain" what lawson had last season when he sat out for a lot of games?

I believe so, yes. High ankle sprains tend to take a while to recover from. I'd be shocked if he played this weekend. And it depends on the severity, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him miss the ACC tournament as well.

_Gary
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
I believe so, yes. High ankle sprains tend to take a while to recover from. I'd be shocked if he played this weekend. And it depends on the severity, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him miss the ACC tournament as well.

I hate to say this, but my recollection of former Duke players getting the dreaded high ankle sprain, depending on severity, is that it often takes more than a month to heal up. The reality is that we might not have Lance at all the rest of the year if this really is a significant high ankle sprain. Just saying... :(

CDu
03-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I hate to say this, but my recollection of former Duke players getting the dreaded high ankle sprain, depending on severity, is that it often takes more than a month to heal up. The reality is that we might not have Lance at all the rest of the year if this really is a significant high ankle sprain. Just saying... :(

Yeah, I was trying to avoid being too pessimistic. But the timing of the injury is really bad. Depending on the severity, Thomas may not play for a couple of weeks. And if he does come back, he's probably not going to be full strength even in the tournament. And it's very possible he's done for the year depending upon how we fare in the tourney.

MChambers
03-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I was trying to avoid being too pessimistic. But the timing of the injury is really bad. Depending on the severity, Thomas may not play for a couple of weeks. And if he does come back, he's probably not going to be full strength even in the tournament. And it's very possible he's done for the year depending upon how we fare in the tourney.

Grant Hill missed about two weeks in 1992 with a high ankle sprain, late in the regular season, but not this late. We did okay that year.

_Gary
03-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Seems like I remember Nate having one at the beginning of one season and being out for over a month with it. Could be wrong, but seems like at least one or two of our guys have had high ankle sprains that took them out for a month or better. I'm sure a lot will depend on the severity of the injury.

pbc2
03-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Didn't Lance sprain an ankle last year as well?

Hopefully it isn't more serious and he already knows how to rehab the injury.

elvis14
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Most of the time when I hear of an athlete getting a high ankle sprain, it's a football player. I agree with others, if Lance has a high ankle sprain, that's bad news. We may not see Lance at full speed until the fall. Elliot got pressed into service by necessity and reacted really well. Let's hope that if MP1 is needed he'll step up his play as well.

CDu
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Seems like I remember Nate having one at the beginning of one season and being out for over a month with it. Could be wrong, but seems like at least one or two of our guys have had high ankle sprains that took them out for a month or better. I'm sure a lot will depend on the severity of the injury.

It varies. Ty Lawson missed basically a month last year with a high ankle sprain. It definitely depends on the severity of course.

grossbus
03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
"Didn't Lance sprain an ankle last year as well? "

he has had an ankle sprain before. if it is the same ankle, there will be more damage and that will lengthen the recovery time.

speaking from painful experience...

bjornolf
03-04-2009, 12:18 PM
but was it a high ankle sprain last time? A low ankle sprain and a high one are two TOTALLY different animals, and if it wasn't a high sprain of the same ankle last time, then it really won't affect his recovery at all this time.

Saratoga2
03-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Wasn't a Raycom announcer saying that Scheyer appeared to be gimpy on his ankle as well. I couldn't see what he was talking about. Wonder if others heard that comment?

bjornolf
03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
He was very gimpy. One of the FSU players came down with a rebound and twisted just as Scheyer ran by. Somehow, his lower leg twisted Scheyer's like a pretzel. I'm sure it was unintentional and he didn't even see him, but it was a PERFECT judo leg takedown. He lay on the floor for most of a defensive possession, then got up and hobbled around with a pained expression on his face. He was practically crying as he tried to wave to K that he was okay and wanted to stay in. K took him out and the trainers checked him over, may have taped it up. But he went back in and played the rest of the game with only a slight limp. When I first saw the replay, I thought he was gonna be with Lance in the locker room. He was really lucky.

gray
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
What exactly is the difference between a high ankle sprain and low ankle sprain? What makes the high ankle sprain so much worse?

jjasper0729
03-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Difference between high ankle sprain and common ankle sprain (http://www.emaxhealth.com/2/10417.html)

markbdevil
03-04-2009, 01:53 PM
http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2009/03/04/thomas-zoubek-suffer-injuries-tuesday/

As of 1:30 pm today.

OldSchool
03-04-2009, 01:58 PM
http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2009/03/04/thomas-zoubek-suffer-injuries-tuesday/

“Thomas suffered a left ankle sprain in the first half of the game and is listed as day-to-day. Zoubek suffered a broken nose and is day-to-day. Jon Scheyer also suffered an ankle sprain in the second half on Tuesday and Nolan Smith’s status remains unchanged after sustaining a mild concussion on Feb. 25.”

"Day-to-day" is a heck of a lot better news than 3-4 weeks!

TwoDukeTattoos
03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/4667494/

I'm surprised to see this listed as day-to-day, but if there's anything to it, I'll take it!

JasonEvans
03-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Here is the update--

Matt Plizga- Duke’s team spokesman:

“Thomas suffered a left ankle sprain in the first half of the game and is listed as day-to-day. Zoubek suffered a broken nose and is day-to-day. Jon Scheyer also suffered an ankle sprain in the second half on Tuesday and Nolan Smith’s status remains unchanged after sustaining a mild concussion on Feb. 25.”

Not much of an update there. At least he did not confirm the high ankle sprain that is our worst fear.

-Jason "it would be fabulous if we could get Nolan and Lance for the ACCT" Evans

91devil
03-04-2009, 02:17 PM
"Day-to-day" is a heck of a lot better news than 3-4 weeks!

In life, we're all day-to-day.

zingit
03-04-2009, 02:40 PM
So is Scheyer still okay playing with his sprained ankle? I didn't realize so many guys got seriously hurt last night. I though Scheyer seemed okay after he got checked out, and I thought Zoubek just had a bloody nose. :(

-jk
03-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Bloody football schools...

-jk

flyingdutchdevil
03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I'll take day-to-day. I thought it would be weeks as Thomas didn't look good after the injury and sat out the whole game.

I want to see Zoubs in a face mask. It must be a hell of a site.

Strange that all these players got injured. With the exception of Aladi's (don't really know the name) thunder ax on Singler, I didn't think FSU was malicious at all (or did I miss something) and these injuries were all a coincidence.

Rudy
03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Thomas and Scheyer's were just accidents. Lance went high to try for a steal at half court and came down funny. John just got his foot tangled with an FSU player coming off a rebound, either stepping on the guy's foot or being stepped on accidently. I didn't see what it was with Brian.

jipops
03-04-2009, 04:20 PM
This is fantastic news. I wouldn't mind seeing Lance sit out the UNC game to rest up for the ACC tournament and beyond. As much as I would love to see us beat the pansy pale blue, I would much rather see us play further into March.

throatybeard
03-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Hey, speak for yourself. Most weeks, I'm questionable. On my better weeks, I'm probable.

Bloody football schools...
-jk

But see, there's the thing. At one time or another, I've heard Duke fans accuse every one of the other 11 members schools, and Connecticut, and some other schools, of being dirty. GT is dirty because of Hewitt. CU, FSU, Miami are dirty because they're football schools. VT is also a football school, but the animus centers on Greenberg for some reason. Wake Forest is dirty, Carolina's dirty, Maryland's dirty, BC is big East dirty, Connecticut is...

Maybe the problem is just that Duke fans think everyone else is dirty.

_Gary
03-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Everyone has beat me to the punch, but I'll add my voice to the choir anyhow: "This is fantastic news!!!"

It must have been a very mild high ankle sprain if it was even a high one at all, because those puppies are usually very debilitating.

It would also be great if Nolan was somehow able to play even a little in the ACCT just do get back into the groove of things before the Big Dance.

beach rev
03-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey, speak for yourself. Most weeks, I'm questionable. On my better weeks, I'm probable.

Post of the day.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I noticed that when Lance was injured, he quickly left the court on his own power. He never laid down. He wasn't helped off. And he did put pressure on both legs as he hobbled off. By seeing that, I was actually hopeful simply because a more severe injury may not have allowed him to exit the court quite as easily. Take it for what it's worth, but I think that may be good news, relatively.

OldPhiKap
03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Maybe the problem is just that Duke fans think everyone else is dirty.

They're all just malicious because they think we get all the calls.

BD80
03-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I'll take one for the team. To appease the basketball Gods, I will have Duke Sports Medicine perform micro-fracture surgery on my left knee on March 12th. Surely, that will be enough sacrificed to the basketball Gods to get us through the rest of the season!

Now let's just hope the surgery gets scheduled early enough for me to be awake to watch a HEALTHY Duke team play the ACC tournament!

Good luck with the surgery! I suggest you not rush your recovery too much. A few more days and the NCAA tourney will start, giving you 16 games a day to watch!

Microfracture sounds bad. Few world-class athletes fully come back after that surgery. You'll be the exception!

TwoDukeTattoos
03-04-2009, 09:08 PM
This is the new updated text by WRAL as of 8:04pm this evening:

"Duke's Lance Thomas suffered a left ankle sprain in the first half of the Florida State win, and Brian Zoubek suffered a broken nose and is day-to-day, the Blue Devils announced Wednesday."

This differs from the earlier WRAL report and the current Chronicle report which states that both players are day-to-day. In other words, this latest update from WRAL indicates that Thomas is actually not listed as merely day-to-day...

What does everyone make of this? Is the Chronicle wrong? Is WRAL wrong? Was the Duke spokesperson wrong?

BD80
03-04-2009, 09:39 PM

"Duke's Lance Thomas suffered a left ankle sprain in the first half of the Florida State win, and Brian Zoubek suffered a broken nose and is day-to-day, the Blue Devils announced Wednesday."

This differs from the earlier WRAL report and the current Chronicle report which states that both players are day-to-day. In other words, this latest update from WRAL indicates that Thomas is actually not listed as merely day-to-day...

What does everyone make of this? Is the Chronicle wrong? Is WRAL wrong? Was the Duke spokesperson wrong?

Aha, pronoun trouble.

No, no. Wait.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

I don't expect a lot of information from the Duke staff on the injuries. A sprain is a tricky thing, and there is no real good reason for Duke to disclose in detail the minute-by-minute progress of Lance's ankle.

If anyone sees him walking around on campus without any sign of a limp, that would be good news. If he is on crutches and in a cast, that would be bad.

Maybe we should start some misinformation on this board so the UNC spies will think he isn't playing, and then the heels will be overwhelmed when Lance storms out onto the court with the same fire in his eyes as on senior night.

OldSchool
03-04-2009, 09:44 PM

This report from the Fayetteville Observer also indicates that Duke has Lance listed as "day-to-day," but then refers to Jon's sprain as "far less severe" which suggests Lance's is more serious than something that might be fine in a day.

Furthermore, junior captain Jon Scheyer rolled his ankle late in Tuesday’s victory. And while his injury was far less severe than Thomas’ and shouldn’t prevent him from playing Sunday, it was also diagnosed as a sprain.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=320199

DukeDevilDeb
03-04-2009, 10:32 PM

Sadly, she took Zoubek's nose instead! :D

devildeac
03-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Aha, pronoun trouble.

No, no. Wait.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

I don't expect a lot of information from the Duke staff on the injuries. A sprain is a tricky thing, and there is no real good reason for Duke to disclose in detail the minute-by-minute progress of Lance's ankle.

If anyone sees him walking around on campus without any sign of a limp, that would be good news. If he is on crutches and in a cast, that would be bad.

Maybe we should start some misinformation on this board so the UNC spies will think he isn't playing, and then the heels will be overwhelmed when Lance storms out onto the court with the same fire in his eyes as on senior night.

I'd like nothing more than to see Lance pull a tarheel stunt and arise from his deathbed, in a total body cast, after the first TV timeout, and proceed to have a career outing against the 'holes on Sunday afternoon. Well, I enhanced my vision just a bit:o. Brian, in a huge protective headgear apparatus, would also be nice to see, as he dropped a double-double on hans' head.

BD80
03-05-2009, 01:09 AM
I'd like nothing more than to see Lance pull a tarheel stunt and arise from his deathbed, in a total body cast, after the first TV timeout, and proceed to have a career outing against the 'holes on Sunday afternoon. Well, I enhanced my vision just a bit:o. Brian, in a huge protective headgear apparatus, would also be nice to see, as he dropped a double-double on hans' head.

A "tarheel stunt"? Are you suggesting that the tarheels have exaggerated their injuries in the past? Not good ol' roy?!?!?

If Brian wears one of those protective masks, which are typically clear, would he be allowed to paint it like one of the hockey goalie masks of old?

What would most terrify Hansbooboo? The face of the rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail? It's no ordinary rabbit.

gep
03-05-2009, 01:21 AM
If Brian wears one of those protective masks, which are typically clear, would he be allowed to paint it like one of the hockey goalie masks of old?

Actually, when I first heard of Brian with a mask, the first vision that I got was that of Spiderman.... I don't know why:rolleyes:

Indoor66
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
A "tarheel stunt"? Are you suggesting that the tarheels have exaggerated their injuries in the past? Not good ol' roy?!?!?

What would most terrify Hansbooboo? The face of the rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail? It's no ordinary rabbit.

Paint it to look like Beaker and tyler will think he is looking in the mirror. That would be scary.

bjornolf
03-05-2009, 09:17 AM
I assume you mean Beaker from the Muppets? That would be hilarious. Maybe GP could dress as Bunsen Honeydew!

http://www.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/blog/hair/hair_3.jpg

elvis14
03-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Good luck with the surgery! I suggest you not rush your recovery too much. A few more days and the NCAA tourney will start, giving you 16 games a day to watch!

Microfracture sounds bad. Few world-class athletes fully come back after that surgery. You'll be the exception!

Thanks BD80. The things I do to support Duke Basketball :D I'll not be rushing anything. Although not a world class athlete, I generally hold my own with whatever sport I play. I'm older than world class athletes as well. Don't know if I'll ever fully come back but right now I can't compete at an acceptable level (and my knee hurts when I'm not playing) so the surgery is needed. Let's hope that I get to watch Duke play lots of games in the ACC and NCAA tournaments this year. That'll make me feel much better!

Biscuit
03-05-2009, 10:26 AM

Question about the "tar heel stunt" thing. What are your examples of the Heels playing possum in this respect in the past? I remember seeing a lot of this kind of talk around here when Lawson went down with an ankle injury right before the February 2008 game at Cameron, and we all know how that turned out. Is there a history of UNC doing this sort of thing that I don't know about?

I'm not trying to stir up trouble- someone over at IC said the same thing about Coach K w/r/t Thomas and Smith, and I called them out on it too.

I just don't think coaches play these sort of mind games very often when it comes to player injuries. Usually they're pretty straight about it.

Hope your guys get healthy in time for the game Sunday.

roywhite
03-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Question about the "tar heel stunt" thing. What are your examples of the Heels playing possum in this respect in the past? I remember seeing a lot of this kind of talk around here when Lawson went down with an ankle injury right before the February 2008 game at Cameron, and we all know how that turned out. Is there a history of UNC doing this sort of thing that I don't know about?

I'm not trying to stir up trouble- someone over at IC said the same thing about Coach K w/r/t Thomas and Smith, and I called them out on it too.

I just don't think coaches play these sort of mind games very often when it comes to player injuries. Usually they're pretty straight about it.

To be fair to Coach Williams, I don't see much of this anymore. I associate this mostly with El-Deano. In particular, it seemed that he would often talk about some dire injury to Phil Ford which might keep him out for some time, but somehow Phil would make it onto the court and play great.

Just my recollection that TV or radio conversations between Deano and either Woody Durham or John Kilgo would nearly always detail the aches and pains of the Tarheel players.

Duvall
03-05-2009, 10:43 AM

Most recent prominent example I can think of was the near-fatal injury suffered by Antawn Jamison in the 1998 ACC Tournament. Which, to be fair, was over ten years and two coaches ago. It really was more of a Dean thing.

Biscuit
03-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks, guys. Phil Ford's injuries and what Dean said about them were before my time. The Jamison injury rings a bell, but I don't remember ever thinking it was serious.

I'd say if anything, Roy and most other coaches do the opposite. It makes more sense to hide the severity of injuries than to oversell them. Your opponent is always going to game plan for any player it thinks might take the court, so you're not gonna burn them by pulling a Willis Reed. It makes more sense to hide injuries, thus forcing them to waste time talking about someone who won't take the floor or whose abilities will be limited.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Does anyone find it strange that we haven't heard a true update on Lance Thomas? I mean, after Nolan was injured we heard an injury diasnosis the very next day. Obviously, there was great concern for Nolan given the fact that his injury was a concussion, so I am sure that had something to do with the speed of communication. Still, I would have thought by now that there would have been a statement released regarding a specific diagnosis ("sprain" doesn't qualify) and a projected amount of time for a return.

I still don't think Lance will run on Sunday, but it just makes me wonder what's going on...

devildeac
03-06-2009, 08:19 AM

My recollection of it is more distant also than their current and prior coach. One of the mods, -jk, and I had a brief off line discussion about this a short while ago and our general memories agreed on this practice but we did not exchange any specific examples. There are far better historians on this site than me so perhaps they could refresh our memories. I wonder whether some other programs have this same impression of dire injuries sustaining remarkable recoveries shortly before game time.

Fish80
03-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Does anyone find it strange that we haven't heard a true update on Lance Thomas? I mean, after Nolan was injured we heard an injury diasnosis the very next day. Obviously, there was great concern for Nolan given the fact that his injury was a concussion, so I am sure that had something to do with the speed of communication. Still, I would have thought by now that there would have been a statement released regarding a specific diagnosis ("sprain" doesn't qualify) and a projected amount of time for a return.

I still don't think Lance will run on Sunday, but it just makes me wonder what's going on...

Not strange, just good strategy. As posted earlier, it's best to keep the opposition guessing about who is playing.

I hope Lance's recovery is swift. But I don't expect much more definitive information about it.

78Devil
03-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Here's a hopefully theoretical question -- if neither Lance nor Nolan play, and if Jon's minutes are somehow limited to avoid reinjuring the ankle, and Zoub is in a mask -- and we get thrashed at UNC on their home court -- will we get cut any slack in considering that size of a loss for later NCAA seeding purposes?

weezie
03-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Nah. The NCAA is more than happy to put Duke in an even tougher position and instead lend a helping boost to some mid-major instead. It's ok to make selections based on PC thought when it's anybody but Duke.

bjornolf
03-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Didn't they have a story on ESPN about UConn pulling the old "I'm to injured to shoot freethrows" gag the other day? One of their big men went out with an "injury", they brought in their best FT shooter to hit two, then the big man went back in. I think it was UConn.

Vitale had an interesting theory on Mike & Mike the other morning that I liked. If a player goes out and can't shoot his free throws, he shouldn't be allowed back in the game. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I could see where the player wouldn't be allowed back in for the rest of that half, or at least five minutes of game time, whichever came first. That would solve a lot of those issues, I think. I know it's not QUITE the same, but it falls under the "gamesmanship with injuries" category.

jjasper0729
03-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Didn't they have a story on ESPN about UConn pulling the old "I'm to injured to shoot freethrows" gag the other day? One of their big men went out with an "injury", they brought in their best FT shooter to hit two, then the big man went back in. I think it was UConn.

the 'holes pulled this stunt a few years ago. I believe it involved Ronald Curry (but it's been a few years, my memory is running together) who got "hurt" and was fouled, someone else came in for the free throws and soon enough Curry made a miraculous recovery.

MulletMan
03-06-2009, 09:53 AM
the 'holes pulled this stunt a few years ago. I believe it involved Ronald Curry (but it's been a few years, my memory is running together) who got "hurt" and was fouled, someone else came in for the free throws and soon enough Curry made a miraculous recovery.

2001 game in Cameron. You're dead on, but I can't remember who came in to shoot them.

tbyers11
03-06-2009, 09:56 AM
2001 game in Cameron. You're dead on, but I can't remember who came in to shoot them.

Max Owens came into shoot the free throws, IIRC.

MulletMan
03-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Nah. The NCAA is more than happy to put Duke in an even tougher position and instead lend a helping boost to some mid-major instead. It's ok to make selections based on PC thought when it's anybody but Duke.

I think that you're taking the Duke-hating conspiracy a bit far here. It may be true that ESPN has an agenda when covering teams like Duke, but do really think that the cash-hungry NCAA wants Duke out early in the tourney? You think they would prefer to have people tuning in for a Duke-UConn show down in the regional finals, or do you think they would prefer to have a Dayton-UConn show-down on Saturday night?

C'mon. Let's not go too far with the "whoa is me, everyone hates Duke" thing.

dukeballer2294
03-06-2009, 10:19 AM
What is the status of all the players right now for sunday? Id have to think that Zoubs and Jon r in maybe Nolan and not Lance to be on the safe side. Any news or thoughts?(I know most of them are day-day just wanted to know what you thought)

Relics
03-06-2009, 12:10 PM

Old Chinese proverb.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-06-2009, 01:25 PM
K has a presser this afternoon, so maybe we'll gain a little insight then.

dgoore97
03-06-2009, 01:34 PM
"Willis Reed 1970 NBA finals"?

Biscuit
03-06-2009, 01:41 PM
"Willis Reed 1970 NBA finals"?

Somehow I don't think the Dean Dome will explode with cheers if Lance Thomas and Nolan Smith emerge from the tunnel :cool:

dgoore97
03-06-2009, 01:42 PM
but my living room will...

MonitorMom
03-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Coack K says Nolan and Lance are 'doubtful' for Sunday and Brian will play and does not have to weat a mask.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/4681492/

Also, I found it interesting that he sounds like he does not expect to win and that it would be understandable if they lose. He is so strategic, perhaps this is because the team believes in itself right now and he does not want them to fall into self doubt after a loss. If Coach K shares how hard he believes this game will be and the result is not positive, the team can still regroup and have the same confidence of the last few weeks and come out ready for bear in the upcoming tournaments instead of going into the dreaded downward spiral.

CDu
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Coack K says Nolan and Lance are 'doubtful' for Sunday and Brian will play and does not have to weat a mask.

No surprise there (except that Zoubek won't be wearing a mask). I'm just hopeful that Smith can return for the ACC tournament and Thomas can return for the NCAA tournament (if not the ACCs).

It's amazing how different the team looks without Thomas's 20-25 minutes. We're REALLY thin inside without him, and the UNC game may just illustrate that.

It would be nice to see a healthy Smith added to the backcourt rotation. The defensive pressure could really pick up even more if he comes back strong.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-06-2009, 03:33 PM

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/4681492/

Also, I found it interesting that he sounds like he does not expect to win and that it would be understandable if they lose. He is so strategic, perhaps this is because the team believes in itself right now and he does not want them to fall into self doubt after a loss. If Coach K shares how hard he believes this game will be and the result is not positive, the team can still regroup and have the same confidence of the last few weeks and come out ready for bear in the upcoming tournaments instead of going into the dreaded downward spiral.

Although that link isn't from today's presser (which hasn't occured yet to my knowledge), that was great info. He says that Nolan is "doubtful" and that "there's a chance" Thomas might play, but that you need to be careful with ankles so he's not yet sure.

So, while it sounds as though neither Nolan or Smith will see any action on Sunday, it sounds as though they may both be back relatively quickly, which is good news!

Also, I don't regard his comments regarding the game with UNC to be in different in content or tone than any other time he's talked about an upcoming UNC game. In fact, I'd be more shocked to actually hear him say "yeah, I expect we should be UNC".

TwoDukeTattoos
03-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Smith will not play. Thomas will not play if he doesn't practice tomorrow.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/4687200/

SMO
03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Seth Davis just informed a national audience that Duke's "Senior Center" Lance Thomas is day-to-day. Oops. Of course, after that he and Gregg Gumball agreed you have to go with Carolina at home. I love it when everyone assumes the opposition will win! I think those types of assumptions and the injuries can really take the pressure off Duke and put is squarely on the 'Holes.

Indoor66
03-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Seth Davis just informed a national audience that Duke's "Senior Center" Lance Thomas is day-to-day. Oops. Of course, after that he and Gregg Gumball agreed you have to go with Carolina at home. I love it when everyone assumes the opposition will win! I think those types of assumptions and the injuries can really take the pressure off Duke and put is squarely on the 'Holes.

Yeah, but don't forget, Ty stubbed his toe.

SMO
03-07-2009, 01:30 PM

I heard Danny Green has tired legs from too much dancing.

devildeac
03-07-2009, 01:41 PM

You can expend a lot of energy walking with crutches:rolleyes:.

chi
03-08-2009, 05:09 PM
an article on concussion, more from female athletes perspective
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3958650

weezie
03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
With all the "excitement" about Lawson playing with his boo-boo toe, there was nary a mention of LT's ankle. He played with some big time heart today. Seemed to run better as the game progressed but that ankle has got to be pretty painful now, after the adrenaline has worn off.
Lance looked mighty intense out there.

arnie
03-08-2009, 09:55 PM
With all the "excitement" about Lawson playing with his boo-boo toe, there was nary a mention of LT's ankle. He played with some big time heart today. Seemed to run better as the game progressed but that ankle has got to be pretty painful now, after the adrenaline has worn off.
Lance looked mighty intense out there.

Yes, and he had 2 points and 2 rebounds in 31 minutes. I had hoped at some point this year, he and Z together could be a presence inside - not the case.

wisteria
03-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Lance has gone through some ups and downs.

He was good in OOC, of course. Disappeared big time when ACC started. But he emerged as almost the only bright spot during our miserable losing streak, and showed flashes of vocal leadership. If anything, Lance has matured a lot. Right before he injured, I would say he was sinking back a little into his old self. And now he's simply not healthy.

I hope Lance gets back to 100%, and asserts himself again as a senior leader. Somehow I've developed more confidence in LT. The one I'm worried is Nolan. I really don't know which Nolan would come back.