PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Florida State (II)

Jumbo
03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the home game against Florida State?

RainingThrees
03-03-2009, 10:20 PM
21 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, gotta go with G.

Chard
Gerald Singler?

juise
G. Huge plays down the stretch (the 3 to take the lead and the breakaway lay-in, not to mention the free throws) and lead the team in points, boards, and assists.

longtimefan
03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Had to go with Elliot Williams for his defensive effort.

OldSchool
03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Yes, you could of course say Kyle or G.

But Dave, hanging in there by his fingernails with 4 fouls to help us match up with the over-sized Noles, and even hitting a couple of jumpers -- he was the man on Senior Night.

FireOgilvie
03-03-2009, 10:22 PM
G with the double-double and 5 assists... and some clutch FTs. GH4ACCPOY.

captmojo
03-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Yes, you could of course say Kyle or G.

But Dave, hanging in there by his fingernails with 4 fouls to help us match up with the over-sized Noles, and even hitting a couple of jumpers -- he was the man on Senior Night.

Dave. For all he did, without the ball and the clutch jumpers. Add to this, Senior night.

Newton_14
03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
We need the ability to vote for Co-Man of the Match, as this is another game where I have to vote for Gerald Singler and Kyle Henderson!

All in all a great team win with key plays from multiple players.

wolfpackdevil
03-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the home game against Florida State?

It HAS to be ELLIOT WILLIAMS!!! Even though Douglas scored 27, Williams played great defense on him in the second half.

He also has a couple big time jams

jv001
03-03-2009, 10:31 PM
I voted for Kyle as he seemed to bring us out of our funk in the 2nd half. Could have voted for Jon, Gerald, Elliot and I even started to vote for Marty as it was his last game and he doesn't foul. Go Duke!

dukefanSD
03-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I voted for Gerald, but fwiw Duke has never lost a game where Dave scored 4 or more points.

mgtr
03-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Since I can't split my vote among Singler, Henderson, Scheyer and Williams, I picked Singler. Then I see that he and Henderson are tied. Seems appropriate. Overall, I would guess this is a clear example of the need for a "team" category in MOTM.

blu62
03-03-2009, 10:33 PM
It was hard to decide. So many important plays. I voted for Greg Paulus, one of my favorite players and a real class act. (Also his threes were important to the outcome.)

CameronBornAndBred
03-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Tough call, but Gerald had a solid game throughout both halves, so he got my vote. I'm giving a gold star to Zoubs for stepping up in the second half and being solid on the floor when we needed him. I was worried at half time because I knew we would have to rely on him and I didn't see good things coming, but he proved me wrong.

TheRose77
03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks, Dave.

trey
03-03-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm thinking this should be a seven-way tie. Great team win. I voted for Paulus b/c I'm gonna miss that guy.

Uncle Drew
03-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I voted for Gerald, but fwiw Duke has never lost a game where Dave scored 4 or more points.

If that stat is true thanks for sharing and I wonder where you got it. But at the same time, why does Duke not start out every game feeding the ball to Dave at least until he gets four points???!!! Who cares if Duke goes down 4-21 in the process, it's a guaranteed win! Thanks Dave, Greg and Marty for the memories and playing with heart, you will be missed.

Uncle Drew
03-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Tough call, but Gerald had a solid game throughout both halves, so he got my vote. I'm giving a gold star to Zoubs for stepping up in the second half and being solid on the floor when we needed him. I was worried at half time because I knew we would have to rely on him and I didn't see good things coming, but he proved me wrong.

Agree Zoubek made some big tough / smart plays in the second half, but quick question. Did anyone else learn something new when the missed Duke shot was tapped across midcourt and Duke recovered? I'm not sure I'd ever seen that happen, but it never occured to me that a missed shot was a lose ball and hence there would be no backcourt violation. If the shotclock resets after the missed shot I guess in theory that new shotclock belongs to whomever recovers the loose ball. Okay, call me an idiot for not knowing, but I didn't know.

dukefanSD
03-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I noticed that stat in the 2006-2007 season, kept track of it and checked his freshman year games on goduke.com. I don't know if it really means anything about the opposition's defense or is just a coincidence. I just hope I haven't jinxed him.:eek:

dyedwab
03-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Gerald had a great game...Kyle changed the game in the 2nd half....

But I think the key to the win was Elliot shutting down Toney Douglass enough in the second half.

CameronBornAndBred
03-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Did anyone else learn something new when the missed Duke shot was tapped across midcourt and Duke recovered? I'm not sure I'd ever seen that happen, but it never occured to me that a missed shot was a lose ball and hence there would be no backcourt violation. If the shotclock resets after the missed shot I guess in theory that new shotclock belongs to whomever recovers the loose ball. Okay, call me an idiot for not knowing, but I didn't know.
I believe because at that point it was a rebound. Had it been an airball, it would still have been Duke's possession. Since it hit, the possesion is undecided until it is recovered. I was waiting for a whistle when we went back and got it, so it was news to me also. Makes sense though.

elvis14
03-03-2009, 11:05 PM
I voted for Dave McClure. Had to vote for a senior tonight.

mehmattski
03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
I went for a "momentum" vote here. The way Jon Scheyer played to open the second half, with his two steals and assist really set the tone for playing better on defense and offense in the second half.

geraldsneighbor
03-03-2009, 11:20 PM
I voted for Greg because of what hes given this program for four years. I don't know what it is with him but I am going to miss him a lot. Thanks Greg for what you've given us. It has been a lot of fun.

Madrasdukie
03-03-2009, 11:22 PM
I have to go with Kyle by a smidgeon. Despite foul trouble he played a very gutsy game.

RelativeWays
03-03-2009, 11:28 PM
1st senior night win in 4 tries, I'm picking a senior so GP has my vote.

ACCBBallFan
03-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Very close with Singler having a slight lead over G in metrics:

Rating Player
86 Toney Douglas, G
86 Kyle Singler, F

83 Gerald Henderson, G-F
83 Uche Echefu, F

67 TOTALS
67 Jon Scheyer, G
65 TOTALS

60 Elliot Williams, G
60 Solomon Alabi, C

51 Derwin Kitchen, G

39 Chris Singleton, F
37 David McClure, F
35 Jordan DeMercy, F
30 Brian Zoubek, C

28 Greg Paulus, G

15 Ryan Reid, F
11 Luke Loucks, G

08 Deividas Dulkys, G
04 Martynas Pocius, G
03 Xavier Gibson, F-C
(2) Miles Plumlee, F

Acymetric
03-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Has to be G. I see the argument for Kyle, but G got 21, pulled down 10 boards, dished out 5 assists, only had 2 turnovers, and had zero fouls in 35 minutes. Not to mention the last basket of the game. Kyle was huge for us, and everyone really contributed, but this MOTM belongs to G.

91devil
03-04-2009, 12:14 AM
David made two shots and fought his guts out against a significantly taller team. Seniors lead the way.

BTW, Florida State is, um, really good. I mean, a tough-out-in-the-tournament good.

ncexnyc
03-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Another tough one, but tonight I went with Kyle. He had his shot blocked several times, but he kept coming back for more and that determination finally started paying dividends as the game wore on.

ricks68
03-04-2009, 02:47 AM
I voted for Kyle to try to even it up again, as we somehow need to have split votes. I really wanted to vote for Dave/Greg/Marty, Lance for his pregame "look"/Jon, and G/Kyle, but no way it could be done. These guys are really, really gutsy guys. (So are the guys I left off.):)

ricks

ricks68
03-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Oh, how could I have left off our latest great guy and gutsy player,-----Elliot!:D

ricks

Bob Green
03-04-2009, 07:08 AM
I just finished watching the game via tape delay and I voted for Elliot Williams due to his defensive effort. Obviously, Henderson, Singler, and Scheyer had big nights, and Zoubek played a strong game, but Williams is the guy who stood out IMO. This was a very big win.

GO DUKE! BEAT CAROLINA!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-04-2009, 08:31 AM
LOL. Trying to decide between Kyle and G, I voted for Kyle by a nose (not Zoubek's :D). It tied the vote at 48 - 48. :cool: I guess everyone is split on the Man of the Match!

The Gordog
03-04-2009, 08:45 AM
I voted for Kyle. I think his toughness after getting severely banged around was impressive. Also, he was more efficient and took his shots in the flow of the offense. I thought a few of G's outside shots were too quick or came at the expense of Paulus who was open at the time, and so that detracted from his great production (21 and 10!) and foul-free performance.

jacone21
03-04-2009, 08:52 AM
I voted for Z. He saved a couple of possessions by working inside, where we were getting killed. And then his tip out effort led to the break by G that sealed the deal. Big time contribution.

tele
03-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Both G and Kyle are deserving of a vote. Since it was senior's day, I voted for McClure. He seems to be playing a Battier type role for this team (NBA Battier).
Congrats to all Seniors, Crazies too. Hope y'all had fun, and have a bunch of good memories, feel free to start posting about them and reminding us all how great it was at any time.

jjasper0729
03-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Did anyone else learn something new when the missed Duke shot was tapped across midcourt and Duke recovered? I'm not sure I'd ever seen that happen, but it never occured to me that a missed shot was a lose ball and hence there would be no backcourt violation. If the shotclock resets after the missed shot I guess in theory that new shotclock belongs to whomever recovers the loose ball. Okay, call me an idiot for not knowing, but I didn't know.

because the ball hit the rim and was batted as a rebound, possession was N/A so it was okay. IF one of our guys controlled the ball and threw it back out and we recovered it (rather than the tipping the ball out... although that play COULD have gone either way) it could have potentially been called a back court violation.

But I think the key to the win was Elliot shutting down Toney Douglass enough in the second half.

I wouldn't say he shut him down, he did harrass him plenty, but TD had 12 first half points and 15 second half points. He hit 4 three pointers in the second half compared to 1 in the first.

CathyCA
03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
I thought it was a great TEAM effort, with each guy stepping up to help his team. So many players contributed to the win. I vote for DUKE!

MChambers
03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't say he shut him down, he did harrass him plenty, but TD had 12 first half points and 15 second half points. He hit 4 three pointers in the second half compared to 1 in the first.

My impression was that in the second half Douglas mostly took advantage of switches. Seemed like all his big shots came with someone other than Williams on him.

CDu
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
My impression was that in the second half Douglas mostly took advantage of switches. Seemed like all his big shots came with someone other than Williams on him.

Your impression would be correct. I don't remember Douglas taking advantage of Williams very often (if at all). But FSU ran so many screens in the second half that Douglas was ultimately guarded by Singler and Henderson as much or more than Williams. And in the first half, quite a few of Douglas's points (at least 6) were in transition when Williams wasn't in position to guard him.

devildeac
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Pretty evenly divided as one might expect. They both played tough games. If Brian had come up with a few more points and/or rebounds, I might have voted for him "by a nose." Seriously, I hope he heals quickly and is ready to give us a solid game on Sunday.

bjornolf
03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I noticed something about Z. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but there was a short period in the first half where he got a tough rebound, altered a shot, then got a pass and hit a perfect baby hook in the lane. Don't remember the exact order, but those were the three parts I remember. Point is, it REALLY seemed to fire him up and get him in the game. He got a little bounce in his step, he ran faster, he seemed more intense. Up to that point, he had gotten a couple dumb fouls and looked a little clumsy, but after that, he really started to affect the game in positive ways... altering shots and drives, playing strong on defense, getting back to his man on hedges before they could take advantage, getting some of those big tips on rebounds that didn't add to his stats but always seemed to find their way into another devil's hands, two beautiful screens that allowed Elliot to get past the big men in the lane for uncontested layups and dunks... is it just me, or did anybody else notice that? I was pretty impressed.

FireOgilvie
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I noticed something about Z. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but there was a short period in the first half where he got a tough rebound, altered a shot, then got a pass and hit a perfect baby hook in the lane. Don't remember the exact order, but those were the three parts I remember. Point is, it REALLY seemed to fire him up and get him in the game. He got a little bounce in his step, he ran faster, he seemed more intense. Up to that point, he had gotten a couple dumb fouls and looked a little clumsy, but after that, he really started to affect the game in positive ways... altering shots and drives, playing strong on defense, getting back to his man on hedges before they could take advantage, getting some of those big tips on rebounds that didn't add to his stats but always seemed to find their way into another devil's hands, two beautiful screens that allowed Elliot to get past the big men in the lane for uncontested layups and dunks... is it just me, or did anybody else notice that? I was pretty impressed.

Definitely noticed that. The question for him is usually, "Will the positives outweigh the negatives?" When he's playing well, he brings the team to another level. When he's playing poorly, it generally involves fouls and turning the ball over at a high rate. It always takes him awhile to get his head into the game... he usually doesn't do well immediately off the bench. Maybe we'll see him back in the starting lineup, or maybe K will go with McClure. I'd personally like to see Z start to give him a mental boost... McClure plays really well coming off the bench.

gep
03-05-2009, 01:38 AM
It always takes him awhile to get his head into the game... he usually doesn't do well immediately off the bench. Maybe we'll see him back in the starting lineup, or maybe K will go with McClure. I'd personally like to see Z start to give him a mental boost... McClure plays really well coming off the bench.

Off the cuff... maybe some players can take Brian back "behind the gym" and start "working on him"... get him warm, hot... get his "head into the game"... even before the game...:D then he can enter the actual game and... :cool: