PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to G-'bout time

jimsumner
03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Duke’s Gerald Henderson has been named ACC Player of the Week and Florida State’s Soloman Alabi is the ACC Rookie of the Week.

In earning Player of the Week honors for the first time this season, Henderson averaged 20.0 points, 7.5 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 2.0 blocks and 1.0 steals per game while leading Duke to ACC road wins over Maryland and Virginia Tech. The Merion, Pa., junior led the team in scoring in both games and has now paced the Blue Devil offensive attack in 11 of the last 15 games.

Henderson opened the week Wednesday with 19 points, eight rebounds and a career-high four blocked shots in a 78-67 victory over the Terps. In Saturday's 72-65 win over the Hokies, Henderson had 21 points, six rebounds and a career-best six assists

CDu
03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Duke’s Gerald Henderson has been named ACC Player of the Week and Florida State’s Soloman Alabi is the ACC Rookie of the Week.

In earning Player of the Week honors for the first time this season, Henderson averaged 20.0 points, 7.5 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 2.0 blocks and 1.0 steals per game while leading Duke to ACC road wins over Maryland and Virginia Tech. The Merion, Pa., junior led the team in scoring in both games and has now paced the Blue Devil offensive attack in 11 of the last 15 games.

Henderson opened the week Wednesday with 19 points, eight rebounds and a career-high four blocked shots in a 78-67 victory over the Terps. In Saturday's 72-65 win over the Hokies, Henderson had 21 points, six rebounds and a career-best six assists

I'm amazed that he hasn't gotten the honor before. He must just be guilty of bad timing. Good for him! Hopefully he (or maybe even one of our other players) can manage the honor this week too!

Lord Ash
03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Congrats! As far as not winning it before, however... there are a LOT of amazing players in the ACC right now, and a lot of guys who can drop 30 a game for a game or two and snatch that honor right away! :)

captmojo
03-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Shhhhhhhh! Maybe we can keep this secret to ourselves for the rest of this season and win all the championships, taking them all by surprise! :rolleyes:

Nah, dang it! :D Good thing we've known he has had this power all season.

CameronBornAndBred
03-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm amazed that he hasn't gotten the honor before. He must just be guilty of bad timing. Good for him! Hopefully he (or maybe even one of our other players) can manage the honor this week too!
Ditto and DITTO! Really surprising this is his first this year, after the last few shows he has put on. Congrats Gerald, well earned!

gep
03-03-2009, 12:15 AM

Actually... as much as we DBR fans have a hard time picking a MOTM of a lot of games... in fact, many desire to vote for the team, multiple MOTM's, etc... I think this speaks to Duke's "team-oriented" nature, and as such, Duke doesn't get very many ACC POTW, since they are all somewhat equal. Other teams probably have that 1 good player who shines that week... anyway, my 2 cents:)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-03-2009, 08:22 AM
This is a nice honor for G, but from a fan's perspective, I have just loved watching him develop as a "go-to" guy on this team. He is absolutely reliable to provide one jaw-dropping block from nowhere and one awe-inspiring dunk in each and every game. More importantly, he has shown the ability to take over a game and has the grit and determination to make things happen when they absolutely must.

The technical he received after his mild-woofing against Vtech was an aberration. I love that he isn't yelling after every dunk/block a la Vinsanity or Sheed did. He comes to play every week.

In addition, he gives Duke something they have been missing since Reddick, which is someone who wants the ball in late-game situations. Paulus has reluctantly filled that role, Scheyer has from time-to-time, and Nelson tried to be that guy as well. But Gerald has the personality AND the talent to make it work. I hope that we get the opportunity to watch him develop for ONE MORE YEAR, but if not, then we have been truly lucky to get to watch him play in Durham.

PS - Did we ever find out what the commentators were referring to regarding his hydration issues at halftime in Blacksburg? Sorry if I missed it...

PPS - Does Henderson remind anyone else of Ricky Price from the mid-90's but with better attitude and work ethic? I always thought Price had so much potential and amazing athletic ability but could just never really get it all going at the right time...

ClosetHurleyFan
03-03-2009, 12:12 PM
This is a nice honor for G, but from a fan's perspective, I have just loved watching him develop as a "go-to" guy on this team. He is absolutely reliable to provide one jaw-dropping block from nowhere and one awe-inspiring dunk in each and every game. More importantly, he has shown the ability to take over a game and has the grit and determination to make things happen when they absolutely must.

The technical he received after his mild-woofing against Vtech was an aberration. I love that he isn't yelling after every dunk/block a la Vinsanity or Sheed did. He comes to play every week.

In addition, he gives Duke something they have been missing since Reddick, which is someone who wants the ball in late-game situations. Paulus has reluctantly filled that role, Scheyer has from time-to-time, and Nelson tried to be that guy as well. But Gerald has the personality AND the talent to make it work. I hope that we get the opportunity to watch him develop for ONE MORE YEAR, but if not, then we have been truly lucky to get to watch him play in Durham.

PS - Did we ever find out what the commentators were referring to regarding his hydration issues at halftime in Blacksburg? Sorry if I missed it...

PPS - Does Henderson remind anyone else of Ricky Price from the mid-90's but with better attitude and work ethic? I always thought Price had so much potential and amazing athletic ability but could just never really get it all going at the right time...

I think Gerald is so far beyond comparison to a guy like Ricky Price, it almost feels like a slight to even mention the two in the same breath. From a Carolina fan's perspective, he is starting to remind me of Vince Carter, although his 15 to 20 foot jumper isnt nearly as good as Carter's was during his junior year. But in terms of being an amazing slasher, all over the box score, great defensive plays (despite his reputation in the NBA, Carter was consistently tapped by Dean Smith to guard the opposing teams best player) and ability to do the jaw dropping, I think the similarities are increasing by the day. Honestly, the sky is the limit with this guy if he develops a good jumpshot which is probably just a matter of time, practice and in his defense, staying healthy. And unlike Carter, who played next to the best player inthe country in Antawn Jamison, Gerald clearly can emerge (and really has) as the leading scorer and driving force on this team heading into post-season. His shot selection will be a key thing to watch.

moonpie23
03-03-2009, 12:18 PM
>>he is starting to remind me of Vince Carter, <<

please.......just kill me now....

you're saying Gerald will never have a chance at an NBA title cause he's one of the most selfish players ever?

no rings for the town of buffalo OR vince carter............ever...

ClosetHurleyFan
03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
>>he is starting to remind me of Vince Carter, <<

please.......just kill me now....

you're saying Gerald will never have a chance at an NBA title cause he's one of the most selfish players ever?

no rings for the town of buffalo OR vince carter............ever...

No I am saying that as college players, they have very similar games, which is a compliment seeing how Carter terrorized the ACC with his game as a collegiate player. People had absolutely no answer for that guy in the transition or on the baseline. When you set the blue tainted glasses aside, I think you will find it easy to acknowledge my point.

gw67
03-03-2009, 12:55 PM
CHF - I made the same observation in another thread a while ago. Like Carter, Henderson has improved each year and their jump shots are similar - good lift and a soft shot. There are also similarities regarding their inability to go to their left early in their career, both good rebounders from perimeter and both improved as playmakers over their college careers.

Carter's stats are in link below:

http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/individual.stats/player_stats/player300.txt

gw67

Cormac
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
if you head over to rivals.com and check out their most recent power rankings, G has moved up to the #1 SF spot and E-verve has moved into the rankings of best freshmen in the nation. Just nice to see the guys get some national pub! Also, Singler is still in the top 10 of PFs.

gw67
03-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I either don't understand their power rankings or they are very odd for point guard. Lawson, Douglas and Vasquez are not listed in top 15.

gw67

Cormac
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I either don't understand their power rankings or they are very odd for point guard. Lawson, Douglas and Vasquez are not listed in top 15.

gw67

The only thing I can figure out is that they are very much of the "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" mindset. Apparently Lawson not scoring against GT was a big detriment to his rankings (he only attempted three shots and dished out 11 assists....). I don't put much, if any, weight in them but they are fun to look at and its nice to see G's explosion being noticed.