PDA

View Full Version : The NBA Today

SoCalDukeFan
03-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Do you know the number one commodity that was being discussed in rumors before the NBA trade deadline a few weeks ago? Raef La Frentz. The Trailblazers were offered more for Raef LaFrentz than the Suns were for Amare Stoudamire - and Raef will not play a single game this year, or ever again. The Nets offered Vince Carter and two first round draft picks for Raef, and Portland turned them down.

80% of Raef's $12 million salary is covered by insurance this year since he will miss at least 41 games, and his contract expires after this season. All NBA teams covet expiring contracts, but the fact that his current salary is covered by insurance makes him a "super expiring contract". So he is more desirable than Amare Stoudamire - even for a team that is owned by Paul Allen.

The guaranteed contracts were written up when owners thought they were going to see increased profits - or at least the status quo. But NBA revenue is way down and the owners are making moves based on saving money rather than winning games. Phoenix offered Shaq for free at the deadline but no one wanted to add his salary. Same thing with Tyson Chandler - a 7'1" 26-year old who almost averages a double double - he was available for any team that wanted to take on his salary and no one was interested.

Look for a possible lock out in 2011.

SoCal

MChambers
03-02-2009, 03:56 PM

SoCal
Wonder if this means fewer undergrads jump to the NBA in 2011?

crimsonandblue
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Maybe. But it also may mean more guys leaving. They'll be relatively cheap labor to the NBA, but cheap NBA salaries are still pretty life changing for most undergrads. It's the NBA vets who might want to worry...

MChambers
03-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Maybe. But it also may mean more guys leaving. They'll be relatively cheap labor to the NBA, but cheap NBA salaries are still pretty life changing for most undergrads. It's the NBA vets who might want to worry...

You only get paid for playing, and if it looks like there will be a lengthy lockout, maybe undergrads would be looking at playing overseas, which is less attractive.

I can hope, can't I? While I'm at it, I'll also hope for an end to the silly rookie salary cap.;)

mr. synellinden
03-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Do you know the number one commodity that was being discussed in rumors before the NBA trade deadline a few weeks ago? Raef La Frentz. The Trailblazers were offered more for Raef LaFrentz than the Suns were for Amare Stoudamire - and Raef will not play a single game this year, or ever again. The Nets offered Vince Carter and two first round draft picks for Raef, and Portland turned them down.

80% of Raef's $12 million salary is covered by insurance this year since he will miss at least 41 games, and his contract expires after this season. All NBA teams covet expiring contracts, but the fact that his current salary is covered by insurance makes him a "super expiring contract". So he is more desirable than Amare Stoudamire - even for a team that is owned by Paul Allen.

The guaranteed contracts were written up when owners thought they were going to see increased profits - or at least the status quo. But NBA revenue is way down and the owners are making moves based on saving money rather than winning games. Phoenix offered Shaq for free at the deadline but no one wanted to add his salary. Same thing with Tyson Chandler - a 7'1" 26-year old who almost averages a double double - he was available for any team that wanted to take on his salary and no one was interested.

SoCal

All of this is covered in The Sports Guy latest column on the NBA. It is sobering indeed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090227

Billy Dat
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM
As fall out from all the recent NBA $ woes, one potential push might be to raise the rookie minimum to 20. That would be fun for us college hoops fans.

As for playing overseas, I think everyone has been too quick to write off the Brandon Jennings phenomenon. If he's a lottery pick this year, a lot of kids are going to think long and hard about it. I've said this before, but what if he wasn't alone, and there was a collection of young Americans over there, perhaps playing on the same team and each making $500K...

As for the rookie salary cap...what's wrong with it? As a NBA fan, I am much happier to not see unproven talent getting $75MM initial contracts ala Glenn Robinson. I understand that, maybe, kids want to jump so they can get that first contract out of the way and get to that second contract sooner...but there are a lot of "ifs" in those assumptions.

MChambers
03-02-2009, 08:19 PM
As for the rookie salary cap...what's wrong with it? As a NBA fan, I am much happier to not see unproven talent getting $75MM initial contracts ala Glenn Robinson. I understand that, maybe, kids want to jump so they can get that first contract out of the way and get to that second contract sooner...but there are a lot of "ifs" in those assumptions.

You've identified problem no. 1. Problem no. 2 is that it artificially lowers rookie salaries, so teams are willing to draft unproven talent based on potential, because they don't have to pay big bucks. Problem no. 3 is that it waters down both the NBA and the NCAA, by not giving players some sort of credit for playing in college and thereby polishing their games and gaining personal maturity.