PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship situation?

jacalcio18
03-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Not really up to date on the scholarship situation. Why is Davidson redshirting for next year? Are we really that desperate for another point guard? Also, why is Marty leaving? Are we really that desperate for another scholarship? Someone feel free to enlighten me.

CDu
03-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Not really up to date on the scholarship situation. Why is Davidson redshirting for next year? Are we really that desperate for another point guard? Also, why is Marty leaving? Are we really that desperate for another scholarship? Someone feel free to enlighten me.

Well, with regard to Davidson, we have zero true point guards on the roster for next year. You could argue that that's the case this year, but next year we'll be even more shorthanded with Paulus leaving.

I don't think Pocius's departure has anything to do with the team needing a scholarship. I'm guessing that was a personal decision as to what's best for him at this point in his career/life.

With regard to the team, we'll have the following players on scholarship for sure (or at least as sure as one can be):
Smith
Williams
Scheyer
Czyz
Thomas
Kelly
Plumlee
Plumlee
Zoubek

If Henderson and Singler return, you add them to the list. That leaves two scholarship spots available, one of which may go to Davidson. We'd only be adding (at most) one more player to next year's class anyway.

So we're not hurting for scholarships next year, but we are likely to be a bit thin in the backcourt (unless we get Wall or Bledsoe).

wolfpackdevil
03-02-2009, 08:18 AM

I am pretty sure Marty is leaving to pursue his career overseas.

Devilsfan
03-02-2009, 08:19 AM
I think you already know the answers to your questions and I don't think they were necessary nor constructive to bring them up here. We still have this season to play. An ACC title is in reach and we all want to go deep into March.

Saratoga2
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
I posted under the Eric Bledsoe thread, since I didn't see this one. My concern is having really only 4 guard/forwards next year that are ACC quality with Henderson, Scheyer, Smith and Williams. That is thin and it doesn't look that good for either Wall or Bledsoe since Scout doesn't list us that strongly on either.

Maybe Kelly can play the wing spot in a pinch.

FireOgilvie
03-02-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm really surprised Pocius left. I thought that he would get a good deal of playing time next year... especially if Henderson leaves. Singler can play the 3 next year for stretches, so he could be added to that list as well. Come to think of it, both Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee (I think Kelly in particular) have pretty strong outside/mid-range games. There could be some crazy matchups next year for opposing defenses.

It would also be nice to see another guard in next year's freshman class.

DukeDevilDeb
03-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Well, with regard to Davidson, we have zero true point guards on the roster for next year. You could argue that that's the case this year, but next year we'll be even more shorthanded with Paulus leaving.

I don't think Pocius's departure has anything to do with the team needing a scholarship. I'm guessing that was a personal decision as to what's best for him at this point in his career/life.

With regard to the team, we'll have the following players on scholarship for sure (or at least as sure as one can be):
Smith
Williams
Scheyer
Czyz
Thomas
Kelly
Plumlee
Plumlee
Zoubek

If Henderson and Singler return, you add them to the list. That leaves two scholarship spots available, one of which may go to Davidson. We'd only be adding (at most) one more player to next year's class anyway.

So we're not hurting for scholarships next year, but we are likely to be a bit thin in the backcourt (unless we get Wall or Bledsoe).

Jordan Davidson WILL have a scholarship next year... absolutely! You heard it from the source!

sagegrouse
03-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm really surprised Pocius left. I thought that he would get a good deal of playing time next year... especially if Henderson leaves. Singler can play the 3 next year for stretches, so he could be added to that list as well. Come to think of it, both Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee (I think Kelly in particular) have pretty strong outside/mid-range games. There could be some crazy matchups next year for opposing defenses.

It would also be nice to see another guard in next year's freshman class.

My man Marty has spent four years at Duke and appears to be on target to graduate, which I thought was the NCAA goal for student-athletes.

Perhaps he doesn't want to go to graduate school.

sgegrouse

loran16
03-02-2009, 09:34 AM

The Davidson situation was a precautionary thing, in case Elliot didn't work out and we recruited no other guard, Duke wanted to have another guard on the roster.

Whether he comes back or not is not decided, and its possible he still won't...since Elliot has stepped up, he isn't really as needed. Regardless, we will not be wasting a scholarship on Davidson.

As for Marty, he's leaving on his own free will, probably due to the lack of playing time. I suspect he won't take his eligibility elsewhere and will just go overseas to play in europe professionably, but that was his decision, not ours.

CDu
03-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Jordan Davidson WILL have a scholarship next year... absolutely! You heard it from the source!

Yeah, that would not really be surprising given that there will now be a scholarship available regardless of the Wall/Bledsoe situation and regardless of Henderson's and (potentially) Singler's decisions.

accfanfrom1970
03-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Doesn't Steve Johnson have a scholarship? Didn't he redshirt last year like Jordan Davidson this year?

That Marty is leaving regardless if Henderson stays or not says he is ready to move on....

I hope no one else leaves....but I wonder if another Taylor King situation won't develop....we have a lot of fowards if Henderson/Singler stay with Kelly and Plumee II coming in.

Devilsfan
03-02-2009, 01:26 PM
I hope they're used more judiciously and we get more than one Kyle or one Elliot a class.

FireOgilvie
03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I hope they're used more judiciously and we get more than one Kyle or one Elliot a class.

I'm sure Coach K would argue he is using them judiciously. I think our recruiting for 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 has been great. Olek Czyz is the only "project," but he has a TON of upside.

houstondukie
03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Doesn't Steve Johnson have a scholarship? Didn't he redshirt last year like Jordan Davidson this year?

That Marty is leaving regardless if Henderson stays or not says he is ready to move on....

I hope no one else leaves....but I wonder if another Taylor King situation won't develop....we have a lot of fowards if Henderson/Singler stay with Kelly and Plumee II coming in.

We will lose 2-3 bigs after next season. Thomas and Zoubek will graduate and Singler could go pro.

Kelly and Ma. Plumnee will have tons of playing time in the their sophomore seasons, so I don't see them leaving.

Bluedog
03-02-2009, 02:08 PM

No, Steve Johnson is NOT on scholarship. Jordan Davidson is the 13th player on scholarship. Yes, Steve did redshirt last year.

loran16
03-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Regarding Johnson, I'm pretty sure he's on the track team...its possibly he has a scholarship for track (thus not taking up a Duke BBall scholarship).

-jk
03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Regarding Johnson, I'm pretty sure he's on the track team...its possibly he has a scholarship for track (thus not taking up a Duke BBall scholarship).

If he were on anything but a football scholarship, it would have to be a basketball scholarship. They have rules to keep teams from packing their lesser sports with basketball players.

Jay Heaps was officially on a basketball scholarship and a walk-on in soccer. An all-american walk-on, mind you.

-jk

Qwerty
03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
The track team has < 2 scholarships... SJ is not on one. I don't think it would be legal under NCAA rules anyway.

CLT Devil
03-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I think you already know the answers to your questions and I don't think they were necessary nor constructive to bring them up here. We still have this season to play. An ACC title is in reach and we all want to go deep into March.

There are recruiting threads all over this board, I'm not sure I see what your point is. The future, ie scholarships and who returns, will help determine how deep we go in March and if we play for an ACC Title next year, and every other year. Nothing wrong with speculating about the future or taking stock in what we have/might have. If you can't bring it up on a Duke fan site, then where do you go?