PDA

View Full Version : More trouble for "Garyland"

4decadedukie
03-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Today's (1 March) Washington Post Sports Section includes a front-page article indicating potential UMd Basketball/Under-Armour violations of NCAA regulations regarding "boosters". While many/most major program are affiliated with major athletic apparel manufacturers -- Duke with Nike, for example -- the Post suggests that Under-Armour may be acting as a representative of the university's athletic department and its interests, not as an independent commercial entity.

I find this particularly fascinating, given the newspaper’s recent, major, three-part series that focused on Williams' being too clean to sully himself with AAU recruiting.

Here's the hyperlink: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/28/AR2009022802064.html?sub=AR

Ignatius07
03-01-2009, 08:50 AM
It's also weird because they've been so bad at recruiting. Why cheat if you're going to be bad at it?

TigerDevil
03-01-2009, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Nike is doing similar things in Oregon considering their close relationship with that school, being in their backyard and with the Phil Knight tie-in.

Oh, and hi everyone, this is my first post.

4decadedukie
03-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Welcome, TigerDevil.

camion
03-01-2009, 09:21 AM
It's also weird because they've been so bad at recruiting. Why cheat if you're going to be bad at it?

I once suggested that my alma mater, Davidson, create and self-report football recruiting violations back when they were terrible in that sport. My reasoning was that at least it would show we were trying.

OldSchool
03-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Under Armour founder and chief executive Kevin Plank is a former Maryland football player and member of the school's Board of Trustees.

I knew there was a good reason not to buy Under Armour apparel!

gotham devil
03-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Today's (1 March) Washington Post Sports Section includes a front-page article indicating potential UMd Basketball/Under-Armour violations of NCAA regulations regarding "boosters". While many/most major program are affiliated with major athletic apparel manufacturers -- Duke with Nike, for example -- the Post suggests that Under-Armour may be acting as a representative of the university's athletic department and its interests, not as an independent commercial entity.

I find this particularly fascinating, given the newspaper’s recent, major, three-part series that focused on Williams' being too clean to sully himself with AAU recruiting.

Here's the hyperlink: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/28/AR2009022802064.html?sub=AR

There were a lot of rumblings about that weekend in this area. Hopefully, the Post can get shed further light onto Mr. Plank and his, well, aggressiveness.