PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Hancock 4 Duke
02-28-2009, 08:28 PM
IT'S SENIOR NIGHT IN CAMERON AND IT'S TIME FOR THE BLUE DEVILS TO LIGHT UP THE COURT! PAULUS AND McCLURE CAN SHOW US THEIR EXPERIENCE AND THE REST CAN SHOW THEIR KNOWLEDGE!
discuss game here:D

Kewlswim
03-01-2009, 03:07 AM
Hi,

The last couple of years the Devils struggled at the end playing some of their worst ball of the season. We are starting to play good ball again. I am really excited.

Let's take care of business on Tuesday and have our seniors last game at Cameron be a memorable one (in a good way!!). Thank You Dave and Greg.

GO DUKE!!

Saratoga2
03-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Much of Singler's offense comes from his ability to take his man off the dribble, shoot from outside and other moves where he starts away from the basket. That leaves him in a tough position to get offensive rebounds. He also guard his man away from the basket also watering down our defensive rebounding. The line on the rest of our bigs in the VT game was as follows:

Thomas 2pts, 0a, 3rb, 0to, 1s, 22min
Zoubek 0pts, 0a, 2rb, 3to, 0s, 5min
McClure 2pts, 1a, 4rb, 0to, 2s, 23min

Plumlee saw no game time at all.

We were badly out rebounded and VT was able to get putbacks from inside. We also got only 4 points from our bigs, with 2 of those coming from McClure. Our main hope inside was to get an offensive foul call on VT rather than a block of a rebound. Coach K went with the small lineup for a large portion of the second half. The bottom line is of course we won, but would we have won against a team that has dominant bigs and was determined to use them?

It is a shame that one of Thomas, Zoubek or Plumlee can't give us more effective minutes, which would allow us to sub McClure in to guard people like Vassalo. With Henderson and Williams out of the game for a total of 12 minutes, and Smith unavaiable, it would have been good to use McClure to pick up their defensive assignments.

I admit that Zoubek was turning the ball over, Thomas seemed to disappear while McClure seemed to be somewhat effective. Plumlee didn't impress me in his last game where he got PT. Either we have been unlucky with our recruitment of bigs or haven't developed them enough, but right now we appear to be vulnerable against many of the teams with a strong inside presence.

CDu
03-01-2009, 02:52 PM
FSU is a scrappy team. I really like Toney Douglas's game. He's a force on both ends of the floor, and will be a tough matchup for Williams (seems like we say that every game now). Kitchen provides them a second scoring option on the wings, and has really helped take the scoring pressure off of Douglas.

The rest of FSU's team can be described with one word: BIG. They have four regulars who are 6'9" or taller (five when Gibson gets run). Alabi is a raw 7'1" guy with good athleticism. Echefu is a really good shooter who is also athletic. Reid is basically just a banger with limited offensive game but a lot of tenacity. Singleton is a versatile player and good defender who can do a bit of everything offensively but doesn't do any one thing particularly well. After that, they have three lanky wing players who aren't great offensively but are capable of getting hot from the perimeter on any given night.

The 'Noles play very tough, very disciplined defense. Their weakness is on the other end of the floor. Pomeroy has them as the 10th best defensive team and 124th best offensive team (after adjustments). If you can contain Douglas and Kitchen and keep the bigs away from the rim, they'll struggle to score 60.

Newton_14
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
This is easily the best team FSU has had in awhile. They play excellent defense and have really good size an length. A few things that may play in our favor are: We shoot the 3 much better at home and will need that to open up the floor. They played a different Duke team in the previous game which will not help them as much with game planning for this one against Duke's new lineup/scheme. Finally, FSU seems to not play quite as well on the road, due mainly I think to overall experience.

But, they will be a tough opponent. I would feel better if Nolan were healthy, but overall, I still like the good guys in this game. Our guys have gained new life, are coming off wins in two really hostile environments and should welcome the sight of CIS.

jv001
03-01-2009, 09:44 PM
I think this will be the game that tells us just how our new lineup with 5 forwards(Coach Knight) will do against a team we may meet in the NCAA tournament. Fl State is tall and they have an excellent ball handler in Douglas. We have been turning over our opponents lately and that has made up for our rebounding defiency. I hope to see an improvement on the boards and two good wins this week. Go Duke!

loran16
03-01-2009, 11:36 PM
This is a team we have played and beaten before.

To Recap:

Individuals
Nolan Smith 58-44 (+14)
Brian Zoubek 24-11 (+13)
Kyle Singler 57-45 (+12)
Jon Scheyer 64-58 (+6)
Gerald Henderson 52-46 (+6)
Elliot Williams 6-6 (0)
Dave McClure 29-31 (-2)
Lance Thomas 33-37 (-4)
Greg Paulus 7-12 (-5)

Per 40 Minutes

Nolan Smith +19.3
Brian Zoubek +37.1
Kyle Singler +14.1
Gerald Henderson +7.1
Jon Scheyer +6.3
Elliot Williams 0
Dave McClure -5.3
Lance Thomas -7.0
Greg Paulus -33.3

Lineups

Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek (x3) 19-9 (+10)
Smith-Scheyer-McClure-Singler-Thomas 8-0 (+8)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x6) 16-14 (+2)
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-McClure-Zoubek 2-0 (+2)
Paulus-Henderson-McClure-Singler-Thomas 2-0 (+2)
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Zoubek 3-2 (+1)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler (x3) 1-0, 1-0, 0-2 = 2-2 (0)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler (x4) 7-8 (-1)
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-McClure-Thomas 1-2 (-1)
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 0-2, 0-0 = 0-2 (-2)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Thomas (x2) 3-9 (-6)
Paulus-Scheyer-McClure-Singler-Thomas (x2) 3-10 (-7)

I think we can basically swap out Nolan with Elliot here...the loss of depth might hurt a little, but not too much. Moreover, Zoo seemed to do poorly in the game, but came out with a higher +/-. Hard to tell what's going on there. Still, I doubt we'll see Zoo play that much...this seems to be the trend here.

G had an incredible game then, and will need it again now. Scheyer and Singler will play a lot, and Singler MUST avoid unnecessary fouls.

I think K, no offense lance, needs to play McClure here. Lance was not tough enough to deal with their huge size and while he's improved, McClure seems to be more versatile as a defender vs big and small guys...and i don't see lance adding much offense vs their size, so McClure's lack of Offense is a Wash.

I hope K goes often with a lineup of Scheyer, Singler, G, Elliot, and McClure..perhaps more often than lance is in. Just me.

Incidentally, can we find a nickname for the big 3 we got here? Perhaps something like SSG (Two last names and just "G")? I mean, they need some cool nickname as a collective force to be reckoned with.

gumbomoop
03-01-2009, 11:52 PM
If FSU beats either Duke (no!) or VT (sure, ok), that puts them at 10-6. And nobody saw that coming, right? How'd they do that?

Well, maybe Leonard Hamilton can coach. If they win out (no!), he gets ACC COY, right?

And definitely Toney Douglas can play. Look at their team stats: he's the only Nole averaging double figures (20 ppg). And surely, surely, he's ACC defensive POY. His stance is solid, he's strong, his hands steal everything. I'll be shocked if he's not 1st team All-ACC, and I and perhaps others would, if FSU winds up 10-6, vote him POY. Taking nothing away from Lawson, McClinton, G, Hansbrough [who won't be POY, right?], Douglas has been the most consistently excellent player at both ends of the court all season long.

We're gonna win Tues night [if our guys aren't so exhausted from playing - only slight hyperbole here - 9 games in last 6 days], but Toney Douglas ain't gonna help us. He's gonna hurt us, so Scheyer's biggest test comes real soon.

yancem
03-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Much of Singler's offense comes from his ability to take his man off the dribble, shoot from outside and other moves where he starts away from the basket. That leaves him in a tough position to get offensive rebounds. He also guard his man away from the basket also watering down our defensive rebounding. The line on the rest of our bigs in the VT game was as follows:

Thomas 2pts, 0a, 3rb, 0to, 1s, 22min
Zoubek 0pts, 0a, 2rb, 3to, 0s, 5min
McClure 2pts, 1a, 4rb, 0to, 2s, 23min

Plumlee saw no game time at all.

We were badly out rebounded and VT was able to get putbacks from inside. We also got only 4 points from our bigs, with 2 of those coming from McClure. Our main hope inside was to get an offensive foul call on VT rather than a block of a rebound. Coach K went with the small lineup for a large portion of the second half. The bottom line is of course we won, but would we have won against a team that has dominant bigs and was determined to use them?

It is a shame that one of Thomas, Zoubek or Plumlee can't give us more effective minutes, which would allow us to sub McClure in to guard people like Vassalo. With Henderson and Williams out of the game for a total of 12 minutes, and Smith unavaiable, it would have been good to use McClure to pick up their defensive assignments.

I admit that Zoubek was turning the ball over, Thomas seemed to disappear while McClure seemed to be somewhat effective. Plumlee didn't impress me in his last game where he got PT. Either we have been unlucky with our recruitment of bigs or haven't developed them enough, but right now we appear to be vulnerable against many of the teams with a strong inside presence.

I think that we may see more bigger lineups against Fl St. The last several opponents have had several tough and quick guard/wings where our 5 forward lineup worked really well because we could switch pretty much regardless of who was setting the pick. Fl St doesn't have as many guards/wings and if we switch our guards onto their many bigs we could have some real issues. I think that Zoubek and/or Plumlee are going to have to get some minutes unless we press and turn them over a lot. Otherwise, I would think that Fl St would set lots of screens trying to get Paulus, Scheyer or Williams switched to one of their bigs and Thomas or Singler switched onto Douglas. Neither of those match ups are ideal.

roywhite
03-02-2009, 12:09 AM
After watching Florida State give away a game to UNC in the last few minutes because of inept play and bad strategy, it's difficult for me to consider Leonard Hamilton a good coach. But he certainly has assembled a winning team that can compete against virtually anybody.

I'm definitely in favor of Toney Douglas being 1st team All-ACC and getting serious consideration for POY. He'll present a major challenge to Scheyer and Williams.

This is a tough stretch of games, but we should remember Florida State also played on Saturday and they have to travel to our place.

I look for the team and the Crazies to respond to Coach K's challenge and come away with a win in the 6 to 8 point range.

Devilsfan
03-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Elliot gives us the much needed quick guard play at the right time, Jon limits our mistakes. We're a top 10 national team with no inside presence. Amazing heart, amazing coaching.

ncexnyc
03-02-2009, 11:22 AM
IIRC isn't Douglas the master of the wrap around steal? It seems like he got away with that several times the last game and I believe Jon was the victim of that ploy at least twice.

It will be interesting to see if we can come out shooting well and negate FSU's size advantage.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Incidentally, can we find a nickname for the big 3 we got here? Perhaps something like SSG (Two last names and just "G")? I mean, they need some cool nickname as a collective force to be reckoned with.
I like using a four letter word for this team: DUKE.

dukelifer
03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
IIRC isn't Douglas the master of the wrap around steal? It seems like he got away with that several times the last game and I believe Jon was the victim of that ploy at least twice.

It will be interesting to see if we can come out shooting well and negate FSU's size advantage.

Not sure about this- He was only credited with two steals and I am pretty sure one was against Nolan. Both teams are much better than last time- it should be an interesting game.

bjornolf
03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
My elder son turns 6 tomorrow (yes he was born 03.03.03), and he wants a Duke win for his birthday! He already got a snowday, so he's pretty excited about that, but he's greedy. Come on, Devils, give my kid the perfect birthday! :D

blueprofessor
03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
If FSU beats either Duke (no!) or VT (sure, ok), that puts them at 10-6. And nobody saw that coming, right? How'd they do that?

Well, maybe Leonard Hamilton can coach. If they win out (no!), he gets ACC COY, right?

And definitely Toney Douglas can play. Look at their team stats: he's the only Nole averaging double figures (20 ppg). And surely, surely, he's ACC defensive POY. His stance is solid, he's strong, his hands steal everything. I'll be shocked if he's not 1st team All-ACC, and I and perhaps others would, if FSU winds up 10-6, vote him POY. Taking nothing away from Lawson, McClinton, G, Hansbrough [who won't be POY, right?], Douglas has been the most consistently excellent player at both ends of the court all season long.

However, Hamilton ,while liked,is not regarded as a good end of the game coach.Fans refer to last year's and this year's UNC games.

Toney Douglas is a great player and certainly the ACC mvp. That does not equate to ACC POY. He is a fine scorer ,but takes a lot of shots. Gerald is much more efficient.

Moreover, Gerald ,among the leaders for POY in the ACC, most closely resembles Douglas's all-around stellar play.

I have voted Douglas on the ACC 1st team (which may have 4 guards/wings), but there is a pro-UNC element in the ACC media that will push Lawson for POY. Split voting between Hanstravel and Lawson may boost Douglas.Henderson and Singler have to be in the mix,too.

The scary thought is that TD is no longer a 1 man team (contributing to fatigue late in games), as Alabi and Kitchen have been playing well of late.

Best regards---Blueprofessor:)

blueprofessor
03-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski

Opening Comments:

"We have two really tough games this week. Florida State is playing great. Douglas is playing as good as anyone in the country – well, Blake Griffin has probably played better, but he has played as well as anyone in our conference. He has had a sensational season. Of course, we finish up with North Carolina. Our team outside of Nolan (Smith), is healthy. Nolan will not play on Tuesday. He is coming along, but he still has not done any physical stuff yet. He is getting better."

Q: With senior night being tomorrow, can you comment on Greg Paulus' rollercoaster season?

Tuesday night will be senior night for Duke's Greg Paulus, among others.
Krzyzewski: I think any player, if he is a team player, will measure his performance with how his team is doing. That is what Greg is doing. We are 24-5 and having a terrific season. As far as specific contributions, Greg has given on the court and off the court have been instrumental in us winning those games. He has had a really good career here, and he has been healthier now than he has throughout the season. We are hoping he has even more good things ahead of him.

Q: Can you talk about your interaction with the Duke students over the years and how you have tried to continue to motivate them to support you strongly?

Krzyzewski: We have been honest with them, and they have been such an integral part of our program for the whole time I have been here. We have tried to treat them in a honest, straight forward fashion. I think they appreciate that. Kids graduate, and as they graduate you have to get new kids and rebuild that relationship. We have had a good one over the years. If something isn't going that well, we just address them with that. They have changed, but overall they have been terrific.

Q: You have been all over the place, do you think you have the best fans in college basketball?

Krzyzewski: I love my fans and that is up to 8 million people to vote on whether something is good or not. I love our fans and you have to love all the other fans too, but we are not in a contest about fans. We are in a contest about winning games.

Q: You talked about Toney in your opening, he is getting some consideration for Player of the Year. Is what makes Douglas so unique his defense, in addition to what he does on offense?

Krzyzewski: Not just that, he has been a leader for his team. He has a lot of guys. I think Leonard has done as good of a job in the country at coaching his team. Toney plays every possession on offense and defense. Defensively, he is the best guy on the ball that I have seen, that we have played against, and I've seen in the country. I haven't seen everybody, but I have seen a lot of people. We have played against a lot of great guards. Toney is just a fantastic defender. I really think he is not just an all-ACC player, but probably the defensive player of the year in our conference, maybe in the country, well (Hasheem) Thabeet, it would be tough to argue against him, but Toney is terrific. He is going to play basketball for a long time.

Q: What makes Florida State's defense so tough?

Krzyzewski: They have shot blocking to go with their ball pressure, and they move well without the ball. They play defense as one, and then you add the shot blocking ability and the extreme ball pressure that Toney can give you – at the end of the possession, when the shot is taken and at the beginning of the possession when there is ball pressure, they have two of the best in the country. They have always been pretty good in the other position. It's a very good basketball team. They are very well coached, a very good basketball team.

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

InSpades
03-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Assuming our seniors all start (and they certainly deserve it)... who else gets the starting nod? I guess Singler and Henderson?

Also... any ideas how to catch this game in the NYC area? Will it be on around here or do I have to take some extra measures?

gw67
03-02-2009, 03:07 PM
This should be a fun game to watch. The Noles have to overcome their ballhandling mistakes of the first game and figure out a way to defense Henderson. The only player on their roster who appears to have the combination of size and quickness to put a hand in front of Henderson's face on jump shots and stay close to him on drives to the basket is DeMercy. The other players are too tall/slow or too small. Perhaps Hamilton will use a zone or a zone and chaser on Henderson and let Singler and Scheyer try to beat them. The Devils simply have to play their game to win this home game, IMO.

gw67

Highlander
03-02-2009, 03:14 PM
First - K doesn't always give seniors the starting nod. He has on occasion, but not always, and especially not for regular bench guys. I doubt Marty or Greg get a start here, although Greg is more likely.

Second - one thing this game gives us us a guaranteed spot playing on Friday of the ACC tournament. With Clemson at 8-6 and in 5th place, a win over FSU puts us at 11-5 with one game to go, and keeps alive the hope that we could catch UNC. It also gives us the tiebreaker over FSU should they win their final game and we lose ours. A loss vs. FSU puts us right between FSU and Wake, teams we've split with for the regular season, and takes us out of contention for the regular season crown. Plus, with BC having the easiest schedule by far of State and GTech, they could still tie us at 10-6, and they would win the tiebreaker by virtue of their head to head record.

Bottom line - we need to win vs. FSU, send the seniors out right, and put a top 3 finish in the bag.

2008-09 ACC Standings (with 2 games to go)
TEAM
1. North Carolina #2 11-3
2. Duke #7 10-4
3. Wake Forest #10 9-5
4. Florida State #24 9-5
5. Clemson #19 8-6
6. Boston College 8-6
7. Maryland 7-7
8. Virginia Tech 7-7
9. Miami (FL) 6-8
10. NC State 5-9
11. Virginia 3-11
12. Georgia Tech 1-13

UNC plays VTech and Duke this week
Duke plays FSU and UNC this week
Wake plays MD and Clemson this week
FSU plays Duke and VTech this week
Clemson plays UVA and Wake this week
BC plays NC State and Ga. Tech this week

CDu
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Second - one thing this game gives us us a guaranteed spot playing on Friday of the ACC tournament. With Clemson at 8-6 and in 5th place, a win over FSU puts us at 11-5 with one game to go, and keeps alive the hope that we could catch UNC. It also gives us the tiebreaker over FSU should they win their final game and we lose ours. A loss vs. FSU puts us right between FSU and Wake, teams we've split with for the regular season, and takes us out of contention for the regular season crown. Plus, with BC having the easiest schedule by far of State and GTech, they could still tie us at 10-6, and they would win the tiebreaker by virtue of their head to head record.

That's not quite accurate. A loss does make it extremely unlikely that we'd get the ACC crown, but it's still possible. If we lose to FSU, a number of things would have to play out correctly: we'd have to beat UNC, and each of UNC, FSU, Wake, and Clemson would need to lose again (keeping Clemson far enough down the ladder and maintaining the two-way tie at the top).

Bottom line - we need to win vs. FSU, send the seniors out right, and put a top 3 finish in the bag.

Agreed. We really don't want to come into the UNC game needing to win to avoid playing on Thursday, and it'd be nice to have a realistic shot at the #1 seed.

CDu
03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm itching for the game. FSU is a good team, but I want for us to have a big win this week, and I want to set up the showdown for a chance at the regular season title.

Will Williams continue his outstanding on-ball defense against one of the absolute best the ACC has to offer in Douglas? Will Singler build off his tremendous second half against VT and be a force against the Noles? Will Henderson have recovered from whatever seemed to be ailing him in the second half at VT?

This game could tell us a lot about where we are come tourney time. FSU is going to be in the #5-7 range, which is roughly the quality of team we'll likely face in rounds 2 and (hopefully) 3 of the NCAA tournament. We've just handled two strong efforts from bubble teams on the road. Now, we need to handle a mid-level tourney team at home.

I'm getting impatient!

gotham devil
03-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Duke opened as a 13.5 home favorite with a 141 O/U.

CDu
03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Duke opened as a 13.5 home favorite with a 141 O/U.

That seems like a reasonable line. FSU is pretty limited offensively, but they defend like crazy. We've actually turned into a pretty good offensive team (6th in nation in offensive efficiency) and are still on aggregate a strong defensive team (8th). We have more weapons, and unless we're shooting poorly (or fatigue really sets in) we should be able to outscore them.

If we can get to 75 points, we should win, considering that FSU has only reached that number 5 times in the last 22 tames. It probably won't take 75 to win (and 75 may be tough to come by against FSU), but I really doubt that they'll get there.

Billy Dat
03-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Incidentally, can we find a nickname for the big 3 we got here?

Triple Threat

For the obvious reasons that the name implies, but also because each is so adept at attacking from that basic stance.

Grey Devil
03-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Also... any ideas how to catch this game in the NYC area? Will it be on around here or do I have to take some extra measures?

I have a similar problem here in California. The game could be available to me via ESPN's Full Court (which I don't see a need to subscribe to because I get all but about three Duke games anyway via Fox Sports, ESPN and the major networks), but when I called today to see how I could watch the game they wanted $75(!) for a "half season subscription." I suggested that at this point in the season they could generate a lot more revenue if they went to a pay-per-view method of operation, but of course I was talking to a lackey who couldn't do much more than agree with me and still try to get me to pony up $75.

So I'm looking for alternatives. Anyone out there know where in the Silicon Valley area I can see the game? Or is there a web-based alternative? (I already know my ISP doesn't do ESPN360, so that's out, too.)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Grey Devil

Skitzle
03-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I'll be headed to the bar next door to my house in NYC to catch this one.
Village Pour House at 109 and Amsterdam Ave.

Time Warner "says" I can get it as part of the digital sports packaged for 5 bucks, but I don't really think thats right.

If you're thinking about watching the game in NYC. Send a message

Apparently this is post 100 (cool!)

geraldsneighbor
03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm in Pinehurst for golf this week and was wondering where the game tomorrow can be seen here? I'm not sure if this is considered Fayetteville or not. Your help is greatly appreciated!

diveonthefloor
03-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I couldn't get WSFL streaming to work for the VaTech game and I still can't get it to work today.

Does anyone know if there has been a problem?

Better yet, does anyone have other streaming radio links which might work tomorrow night?

Thanks.

Gooch
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
It looks like I won't see the game on local cable...any options for online viewing? Or if anyone knows a good sports bar in Chattanooga, TN who might be showing the game, I'd be up for that also.

Indoor66
03-02-2009, 09:02 PM
I couldn't get WSFL streaming to work for the VaTech game and I still can't get it to work today.

Does anyone know if there has been a problem?

Better yet, does anyone have other streaming radio links which might work tomorrow night?

Thanks.

You might try this one: http://www.1010wspc.com/wzky.htm

CameronBornAndBred
03-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Technically, the radio stations are not supposed to stream the games at all, it is against licensing rules. Duke makes money off of it's broadcasts and doesn't want to give it away. (Thus Inside Access through goduke.com for a reasonable fee.) It's hit and miss finding one that works. Your best bet is to stop in for the snrubchat and ask if anyone else is having success with a feed.

tbyers11
03-02-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm in Pinehurst for golf this week and was wondering where the game tomorrow can be seen here? I'm not sure if this is considered Fayetteville or not. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Here is a list (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030209aaa.html) of the all the RAYCOM affiliates carrying the game. I don't know which viewing area Pinehurst falls in but I think it is Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville. Others probably know for sure

CallUsPaulus
03-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Raycom is killing me, this game looks like it won't be broadcast in the NYC area. However, ESPNfullcourt will still carry the game, so if anyone knows any bars in Brooklyn or Manhattan that have the package, your help would be appreciated. A google search didn't help too much.

roywhite
03-02-2009, 09:36 PM
In Pinehurst, you should get WRAL Channel 5 out of Raleigh (not sure what # it will be on your cable system or satellite) and may also get WFMY Channel 2 out of Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem.

No problem for picking up the Duke game. You came to the right area for that. :)

By the way, my parents were long-time residents of the Philadelphia area who retired to Southern Pines, at least partly because of the golf (and the climate). Check out the area.

geraldsneighbor
03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
In Pinehurst, you should get WRAL Channel 5 out of Raleigh (not sure what # it will be on your cable system or satellite) and may also get WFMY Channel 2 out of Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem.

No problem for picking up the Duke game. You came to the right area for that. :)

By the way, my parents were long-time residents of the Philadelphia area who retired to Southern Pines, at least partly because of the golf (and the climate). Check out the area.

I believe I'll be playing there on Wednesday.:)

captmojo
03-02-2009, 10:32 PM

There is a sports bar up the street from Bill Smith Ford in Southern Pines. I've never been inside. I only know about it from driving by.

diesel
03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
This juggling to get the different sources on which the Duke games are shown on TV has been a perpetual irritant for me. I have Verizon FIOS in Arlington Virginia. To get the Raycom games I have had to subscribe to ESPN's Full Court package. To get the Fox Sports South network, I had to add the ESPN Extreme HD package.

Can't something be done about this? It seems like for just about every game on the schedule we have a discussion on DBR as to how to pick up the game. Isn't it our birthright or isn't there something attached to our Duke diplomas that says we are entitled to see the games throughout the US and possibly also in Glasgow or Moscow? If this isn't so, can't TV be nationalized like the banks and the auto companies so we can see the games all the time on national TV?

Not enough creative thinking has gone into addressing this pressing national issue.

Greg_Newton
03-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm very curious to see if we have a response to the overplay-forcing-G-to-the-middle-from-the-right-wing defensive strategy VT used so effectively (and that I'm sure FSU will try against him). If you give a great player a red carpet into the lane and devote 2-3 defenders to him in the process, you would think we should be able to make something good come from it. Didn't really happen in the VT game though.

Hey, and if nothing else, it's something for him to come back and work on next year right? Maybe? Please?

mgtr
03-03-2009, 07:25 AM
This juggling to get the different sources on which the Duke games are shown on TV has been a perpetual irritant for me. I have Verizon FIOS in Arlington Virginia. To get the Raycom games I have had to subscribe to ESPN's Full Court package. To get the Fox Sports South network, I had to add the ESPN Extreme HD package.

Can't something be done about this? It seems like for just about every game on the schedule we have a discussion on DBR as to how to pick up the game. Isn't it our birthright or isn't there something attached to our Duke diplomas that says we are entitled to see the games throughout the US and possibly also in Glasgow or Moscow? If this isn't so, can't TV be nationalized like the banks and the auto companies so we can see the games all the time on national TV?

Not enough creative thinking has gone into addressing this pressing national issue.

This can be a problem for people in many parts of the country, and I love the clever way you have phrased it. However, in your particular case, the problem is your choice of vendor. If you had Directv, you would get all the games at your location without, I believe, any special packages.

CDu
03-03-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm very curious to see if we have a response to the overplay-forcing-G-to-the-middle-from-the-right-wing defensive strategy VT used so effectively (and that I'm sure FSU will try against him). If you give a great player a red carpet into the lane and devote 2-3 defenders to him in the process, you would think we should be able to make something good come from it. Didn't really happen in the VT game though.

Hey, and if nothing else, it's something for him to come back and work on next year right? Maybe? Please?

Ga Tech tried the same thing earlier in the year. Henderson followed that game up with a string of monster games, beating people in either direction. I don't think the overplay was as much of a problem as fatigue (the announcers noted that he didn't take second half warmups and was pounding down water).

FSU (and probably every decent defensive team from here on out) will overplay Henderson's right hand. It may help cut down on his dunks, but he'll most likely still get his points and remain an offensive force.

davekay1971
03-03-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm a little nervous about the game tonight. First and foremost, I always want to see us defend our home court, especially on senior night. It's an important night, not necessarily for going into the postseason, but just for the team as people. It's a special home game, and that makes me a little more anxious that they win. On a purely basketball note, Florida State is a good team, better than they were last time we played, and they present matchup problems for us (and vice versa). We'll have to play very good basketball to win. Finally, I think it's an important game to make sure we go into tournament play on the right note. Our next game is at Chapel Hill and, frankly, that's going to be a hard game to win. Not that we can't win at Chapel Hill, but I know this team doesn't want to go into the tournament on a 2 game losing streak, so losing tonight would put a ton of pressure on them going into a tough game at Chapel Hill.

All that being said, I have faith in this team. They've demonstrated beyond doubt that they are fighters, capable of closing out tough games. I think they'll win. And I have a feeling we'll see Singler break out tonight.

diesel
03-03-2009, 08:15 AM
We had Direct TV in the condo in which I am a board member and I was satisfied with the service. Unfortunately, Direct TV wanted some huge payment to continue the service through an antenna we had on the roof and there was no way the condo was going to meet their demands given the availability of the competitive services.

diesel
03-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Today's Wall Street Journal gives the following predictions on tonight's games, from AccuScore:

Duke 80.2, Florida State 69.5
Percentage of likely winners:
Wake 57%. Terps 43%
Clemson 92%, Virginia 85%

blueprofessor
03-03-2009, 08:43 AM
FSU has a number of young/new players who might be intimidated by glass breaking decibel numbers!
Remember Michigan in 1992 and UNC in 1998.

Go early and be LOUD!:p

As Coach K wrote in his communique, PROTECT OUR HOUSE!
Go,Duke!

Best regards---Blueprof:)

jv001
03-03-2009, 09:57 AM
This game is just as big if not bigger than the Wake game. We need this one for seeding in ACC Tournament, NCAA seeding and for our Seniors. Go Duke!!

jjasper0729
03-03-2009, 10:39 AM
I think the VT emphasis on G in the second half (overplaying his right hand) will be a point of emphasis for FSU (or it should be if I was game planning). That means they will either shade him on the right or bring a double team that way. He needs to be able to recognize it and then dish to the open person for (hopefully) a score.

Kyle had a monster second half in Blacksburg. Hopefully he can just continue that into tonight. Jon also has found his touch (more than he was at least, the 30 point effort not withstanding) and his ability to not turn the ball over will be critical if Douglas is going to be guarding him.

So that's the "Triple Threat". We'll also need some banging from Brian, Miles and Lance. If they can hold their ground for the most part, and Paulus and Williams can supplement the big three, I see a successful conclusion to the home season

diesel
03-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Today's Wall Street Journal gives the following predictions on tonight's games, from AccuScore:

Duke 80.2, Florida State 69.5
Percentage of likely winners:
Wake 57%. Terps 43%
Clemson 92%, Virginia 85%

I tried to edit this post, but the edit option seems to be turned off. The percentage of likely winners should read:

Clemson 92%, Virginia 8%
That's more like it!
(And math was never my strongest subject!)

gw67
03-03-2009, 01:15 PM
diesel - That has happened to me as well. I believe that you have 15-20 minutes after posting to edit the post before the Edit feature disappears.

gw67

Heeler4life
03-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I have FSU winning big..... 82 to 69. Dukes lack of depth was exposed by Maryland and will be abused by FSU. Coach K should have played some other players earlier in the year especially in some of those blowouts. Depth will also have them out of ACC Tourny early as well.

roywhite
03-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I have FSU winning big..... 82 to 69. Dukes lack of depth was exposed by Maryland and will be abused by FSU. Coach K should have played some other players earlier in the year especially in some of those blowouts. Depth will also have them out of ACC Tourny early as well.

So nice of you to stop by. It's a shame Nolan Smith is out, but Duke is playing 7 guys (with occasional minutes additionally for Zoubek and Plumlee) and will be playing 8+ when Smith returns.

Lack of depth exposed by Maryland?
hmmm...let me think...Maryland had two big home games recently against UNC and Duke; in one of those games, the visitors ran out of gas and lost, and in one of those games, the visitors pulled away late to win.

Did you perhaps get your Maryland games crossed up?

BlueHeaven
03-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't think if you have Directv you would be able to get all of the Duke games. I have Directv and have been annoyed all season and seasons past by games I couldn't get or were blacked out. I missed the Wake game on the 22nd b/c of this. I was ready to pay any sum of money to get the game and was forced to get it in slow stream on espn 360. I have forewarned my husband that next year, I am getting whatever package allows me access to all of the Duke games. Fortunately, I live in FL and the game tonight is on a local station (33 for you South Floridan denizens), otherwise, I wouldn't necessarily pick it up. It is very, very aggravating and I too thought access to all things Duke basketball came with my diploma.

Uncle Drew
03-03-2009, 02:26 PM

Gee I wonder if your name might display any bias about your prediction? I have to say I think a lot of us would have liked seeing some more playing time from Plumlee and after seeing video of Czyz and his athletic ability I wanted to see him play more. But Williams developing and earning playing time couldn't have come at a better time for Duke with Nolan shaking off the cobwebs. And from game to game the lineups have varied quite a bit from player to player as far as playing time goes. K has gone with what has worked in each game. To be frank IMO this is one of the deepest and freshest Duke teams this late in the season I have seen in quite a long time. FSU may well win (they gave Duke a close hard fought gave down in Florida) but I highly doubt for the reasons you listed. Duke hasn't had a lot of blowouts early or at any point in the season aside from the 1st Maryland game. But then we have actually watched the games. We don't base our posts on what we read on IC and create on Youtube. :rolleyes:

Bluedog
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM

Are you sure? In Arlington, I used to be able to watch the Raycom games on My 20, which is actually available over ANTENNA. Cable wasn't even required. This list verifies it:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030209aaa.html

I verified tonight's game is on My 20 (channel 20), WDCA. No cable is necessary, but it's certainly also available if you have cable:

http://television.aol.com/listings/va/arlington

Also, you can watch it live from the Raycom streaming site directly at http://raycom.swarmcast.com/ if you live in ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, MD-DC, VA, NC, SC, GA or FL.

I'm planning to VPN onto Duke's network and then watch it through Raycom... ;)

mehmattski
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Gee I wonder if your name might display any bias about your prediction? I have to say I think a lot of us would have liked seeing some more playing time from Plumlee and after seeing video of Czyz and his athletic ability I wanted to see him play more. But Williams developing and earning playing time couldn't have come at a better time for Duke with Nolan shaking off the cobwebs. And from game to game the lineups have varied quite a bit from player to player as far as playing time goes. K has gone with what has worked in each game. To be frank IMO this is one of the deepest and freshest Duke teams this late in the season I have seen in quite a long time. FSU may well win (they gave Duke a close hard fought gave down in Florida) but I highly doubt for the reasons you listed. Duke hasn't had a lot of blowouts early or at any point in the season aside from the 1st Maryland game. But then we have actually watched the games. We don't base our posts on what we read on IC and create on Youtube. :rolleyes:

Not to mention that since 1995, Duke has lost only one home game by a margin greater than 12 points. No extra credit for identifying said game...

Heeler4life
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
HMMM...Nope I don't think I got my MD games confused. Duke pulled away from a very mediocre Terps team who was without their star G Vasquez 22 minutes. In addition had MD hit their free throws (64%) normally (86%) than Duke gets the L. You can't have much depth when your starters play 170/200 minutes. FSU bench outscores Dukes bench by 20-24 pts. Lets chat again Weds.

2 Kyle Singler f 37 minutes
42 Lance Thomas f 28 minutes
15 Gerald Henderson g 37 minutes
20 Elliot Williams g 31 minutes
30 Jon Scheyer g 37 minutes

roywhite
03-03-2009, 02:55 PM
HMMM...Nope I don't think I got my MD games confused. Duke pulled away from a very mediocre Terps team who was without their star G Vasquez 22 minutes. In addition had MD hit their free throws (64%) normally (86%) than Duke gets the L. You can't have much depth when your starters play 170/200 minutes. FSU bench outscores Dukes bench by 20-24 pts. Lets chat again Weds.

Since you're so sharp, you probably already knew that UNC's starters played more minutes (173, I calculate) vs Maryland than Duke's starters did against Maryland.

We'd certainly like to have Nolan Smith back, and expect him back soon. But, I'm not sure depth will be a determining factor tonight, or in some other key games in March.

InSpades
03-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Maryland shoots 86% FT? I'm guessing that would be some sort of record if true (of course, it's not actually true). If they had shot closer to their average they would have scored between 2 and 3 more points and likely still lost.

As for minutes played, the Duke starters played about as much as the UNC starters versus Maryland. Of course Nolan Smith getting a concussion and David McClure still recovering from the flu probably had a lot to do with Duke's usage of their bench.

arnie
03-03-2009, 03:31 PM

Obviously the 86% is wrong, but I suspect the author of this post doesn't know how to calculate percentages. Give him a break, he was just born that way.

Uncle Drew
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM

I have an even better idea, why don't we wait and chat Thursday. Then we can discuss whether the cheap shot Terrell Bell tries to decapitate Hansbrough with tomorrow night is intentional. Then we can debate who should have developed their bench players more over the course of the season with Tyler and Nolan out of the lineups. IF Maryland had hit their freethows? Well why not say if Maryland had boxed out and gotten more rebounds, passed the ball around and taken better shots or not turned the ball over quite as much. Those IF's vary a lot from game to game like everything else. I guess you didn't go back and look to see what Maryland players were actually taking those freethrows and what their season averages are. If a 50% freethrow shooter takes half the freethrows in a particular game and misses the teams season average is a moot point.

But IF you are so sure Duke is going to lose by double figures tonight oh Nostradamus of college basketball take your money to Vegas and put it on the line. Then if you're correct you can blog us from the Bahamas and if you're wrong you'll be close to UNLV. I think they doubted Duke too at one point if my memory serves me correctly. :cool:

captmojo
03-03-2009, 03:35 PM
I have an even better idea, why don't we wait and chat Thursday. Then we can discuss whether the cheap shot Terrell Bell tries to decapitate Hansbrough with tomorrow night is intentional. Then we can debate who should have developed their bench players more over the course of the season with Tyler and Nolan out of the lineups. IF Maryland had hit their freethows? Well why not say if Maryland had boxed out and gotten more rebounds, passed the ball around and taken better shots or not turned the ball over quite as much. Those IF's vary a lot from game to game like everything else. I guess you didn't go back and look to see what Maryland players were actually taking those freethows and what their season averages are. If a 50% freethrow shooter takes half the freethrows in a particular game and misses the teams season average is a moot point.

But IF you are so sure Duke is going to lose by double figures tonight oh Nostradamus of college basketball take your money to Vegas and put it on the line. Then if you're correct you can blog us from the Bahamas and if you're wrong you'll be close to UNLV. I think they doubted Duke too at one point if my memory serves me correctly. :cool:

Well done!!! That's just hard-core cold. I like. :):D

Heeler4life
03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
I stand corrected the Terps shoot 76.8% overall 85.8% in ACC play. Tar Heels
76.5% overall 81.1% in ACC. And Duke...ummm.. I am looking at the top 50 but I can't seem to find Duke anywhere. Something must be wrong w/this link.

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings

captmojo
03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Terps FF %? Free Fro %?

I can't hang around much right now, but I'll leave a tiny bit of advice.

Don't come in and expect a too sympathetic jury here.

Heeler4life
03-03-2009, 04:11 PM
dont expect any help from NCAA or refs next year either. But we obviously do agree on one thing though.... the ACC is way too physical for Duke and you could not have stated it better.

pfrduke
03-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Just don't respond to flamers. They're not here to play rationally, and anything you say will merely encourage them. There's a handy ignore function on these boards that's perfectly suited for posters like these.

Uncle Drew
03-03-2009, 04:15 PM
dont expect any help from NCAA or refs next year either. But we obviously do agree on one thing though.... the ACC is way too physical for Duke and you could not have stated it better.

If you had the guts to admt it, the ACC has become too rough all the way around. It has started making the Big East look like a square dance with all the cheap shots, shoving, piling on durring a tie up etc. Teams are phyical for the most part when they know they are inferior. But hey, if ya can't be victorius, beat em'.

Uncle Drew
03-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Just don't respond to flamers. They're not here to play rationally, and anything you say will merely encourage them. There's a handy ignore function on these boards that's perfectly suited for posters like these.

Your right of course pfrduke, and the mods are taking care of it. But in a way it's kind of nice to not agree with what someone posts and be able to sink to their level and then knock them a level lower. Excellent mod job as usual.

tbyers11

Your numbers are wrong. Lance only got 18 minutes. That gives Duke 160/200 or 80% of its minutes from its starters in a game they WON. Also, as pointed out above, two of the main bench options Smith and McClure didn't get as many minutes as normal because of injury and illness, respectively.

UNC played its starters 173/225 (OT) or 77% of the possible minutes in a game against MD that they LOST. Where's the big difference?

As for your predictions about FSU. "an 82-69 score and 20-24 points from the FSU bench", please. FSU averages 68 pts/game and has not scored more than 82 in a single game this year.

Also, their bench may play minutes, but they don't score much. In conference play their bench guys (players 6-9 in MPG, b/c I am not sure who starts every game) Reid, Dulkys, DeMercy and Loucks average 11.9 pts/game.

FSU is a quality team and may beat Duke, but I don't think it would like anything like the game you've predicted.

Feel free to come here and belittle Duke and talk up the finer points of all the other ACC teams. But if you do, try to get your facts straight first. You will get a lot more respect.

InSpades
I stand corrected the Terps shoot 76.8% overall 85.8% in ACC play. Tar Heels
76.5% overall 81.1% in ACC. And Duke...ummm.. I am looking at the top 50 but I can't seem to find Duke anywhere. Something must be wrong w/this link.

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings

Wrong again. Care to try a 3rd time? Here's a hint, the Terps shoot about as well in-conference from the free throw line as they do outside of conference.

As for the incredible depth Carolina showed at Maryland... do you think maybe the fact that Dancin' Danny fouled out in 30 minutes had something to do w/ Frasor playing as much as he did?

Son of Mojo
03-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Guys, guys.....and dad.....we should feel honored that the troll came to visit and give us such great insight instead of what they usually like to do.....which involves goats.....which is, of course, watching the goats play their special brand o' hard travelin', hard foulin', floppin' pre-game dancin' hoops. What'd y'all think they did with their goats? :rolleyes: Now, onto business. I don't think we'll have an easy game with FSU (particularly without Nolan again) but certainly believe we'll pull it out. I would like to see some improved stretch FT (that means Free Throw) shooting; we haven't done that well the last few games even while still winning. Let's go out there and get a win!!

bjornolf
03-03-2009, 06:43 PM
If either team breaks 80, it'll be Duke and the Devils win. If the score is in the high 50s or low 60s, Noles win. The Noles have scored 82 twice (against Western Kentucky and Coastal Carolina) and 80 once (against Miami). I just don't see it happening against Duke. JMHO.

pfrduke
03-03-2009, 06:57 PM
If either team breaks 80, it'll be Duke and the Devils win. If the score is in the high 50s or low 60s, Noles win. The Noles have scored 82 twice (against Western Kentucky and Coastal Carolina) and 80 once (against Miami). I just don't see it happening against Duke. JMHO.

Remember, the last game, in Tallahassee, was a 66-58 Duke win. We've shown we can win games in the 60s this season.

bjornolf
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Sorry, I meant Noles have a good shot. And I said "low 60's". 66 is hardly low 60's.

shoutingncu
03-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I think this will be the game that tells us just how our new lineup with 5 forwards(Coach Knight) will do against a team we may meet in the NCAA tournament. Fl State is tall and they have an excellent ball handler in Douglas. We have been turning over our opponents lately and that has made up for our rebounding defiency. I hope to see an improvement on the boards and two good wins this week. Go Duke!

This is a bit of what I was saying in the WF Pre-Game. Duke's new line-up hasn't done anything yet that it's old line-up didn't do. Or the line-up before that, for that matter.

The five forwards have beaten a questionable road team, two bubble teams and St. John's, and actually let all four of those teams back into the game, if I'm not mistaken.

It's not unreasonable to think that Duke ends the conference season on a two game losing streak, which is what prompted the line-up change in the first place.

Now, for the record, I do think Duke wins tonight, but I still won't be comfortable putting them past the Sweet Sixteen in my bracket until they beat Carolina or Clemson, or take the three game series from Wake.

RelativeWays
03-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Hole fans are the epitome of cognitive dissonance, they'll do anything to rationalize strong held beliefs even if those pesky facts get in the way. Remember that story last year that showed statistically that Duke didn't getall the calls, in fact ewe-nc averaged more fouls called in their favor than anyone else in the country. "WELL THAT'S A BUNCHA CRAP, DUKIE LIES AN TEH MEDIUZ BIASUS" the sheep would bleat, but no actual facts. Of course, they'll try to point out, "WLL I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. DUN GITS TO DA LINE MOAR, BAAA BAAAA, DEY CHEETSUZ! BAAAAAAAA!" Well thats because the dribble drive offense they've run for the past 7 or so years is designed to do just that you idiots. But hey, if you want to take that as proof that Duke gets all the calls, go ahead. Just keep in mind your hero is going to break the ACC scoring record taking more FTs than FG's, what does that say about about him, hmmmm? It's your logic.
As far as Scheyer getting away with a travel as proof that Duke gets all the calls, lets not forget that highly questionable flop beaker performed to cost Miami against the sheep. Watch the replay, his feet are nowhere near set. But since its ewe-nc I guess it just doesn't count.

DukieInKansas
03-03-2009, 08:01 PM
You might try this one: http://www.1010wspc.com/wzky.htm

This does appear (or sound) to be streaming the game if you don't have ESPN 360 access.

dubayuw
03-03-2009, 08:08 PM
This does appear (or sound) to be streaming the game if you don't have ESPN 360 access.

Why would a duke game vs a ranked team not be on tv? Oh well

DukieInKansas
03-03-2009, 08:13 PM

It was listed as a coming event at 8pm on ESPN360, but it's not showing up as a live program to view. :mad:

Never mind - it is now showing. :-)

Indoor66
03-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Why would a duke game vs a ranked team not be on tv? Oh well

It is a Raycom network game.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Open season on Duke players, apparently.

Lord Ash
03-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Sorry I haven't seen this; what happened to Lance? Injured?

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Sorry I haven't seen this; what happened to Lance? Injured?

Ankle -- in locker room -- no further report yet.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Calm down, Lenny!!!!

pfrduke
03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Ankle -- in locker room -- no further report yet.

That's not good. For his sake, and the team, I hope it's not serious.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Go GP!!!!!!!!!

CDu
03-03-2009, 08:48 PM
We're going to have to shot a lot better and get some better shot selection as well (which may help the shooting percentage as well). We're fortunate to be as close as we are given the way we're playing.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 08:50 PM
That's not good. For his sake, and the team, I hope it's not serious.

Gone for the evening -- to be evaluated later -- I don't like to hear that.

pfrduke
03-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Gone for the evening -- to be evaluated later -- I don't like to hear that.

Thanks for the update. I don't like to hear that either. Here's to this being only precautionary, and to a speedy recovery.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the update. I don't like to hear that either. Here's to this being only precautionary, and to a speedy recovery.

I've been drinking to that for the last half hour.

CDu
03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Aside from the obvious misfortune for Thomas, his injury puts us in a bit of a bind tonight. Zoubek has three fouls, Plumlee two, and FSU is really big. Their size could really become a factor given our bigs situation. We may have to shoot our way to victory to tonight.

CDu
03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Tough start, and attrition is starting to set in. Zoubek with 3, McClure with 3, Plumlee with 2, Thomas done for the night.

Pretty poor first half for our Devils. Duke shot 32% from the field, 29% from three and just looked passive on offense.

It's going to be a tough climb on the way back, especially with the foul trouble on our bigs. We may have to go small and hope we can scrap and shoot our way to victory.

FireOgilvie
03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
This has to be the weakest crowd I've ever seen at an ACC game (at Duke). Is it just me, or is it way too quiet in Cameron?

rthomas
03-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Lethargic.

InSpades
03-03-2009, 09:01 PM
You really notice how good Lance was playing when he's not around... For everyone calling for Plumlee to get more playing time, just look at this game for evidence as to why he hasn't gotten it. Lucky to be down by only 6 with the way we played in the 1st half. Going to have to come up with a lineup that can work out there. Duke is so thin, losing Nolan or Lance for very long will be tough to overcome.

grossbus
03-03-2009, 09:01 PM
we're going to need the same kind of second half we had against them the first time.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2009, 09:02 PM
This has to be the weakest crowd I've ever seen at an ACC game (at Duke). Is it just me, or is it way too quiet in Cameron?

Agreed. this is a weak crowd. Senior night has not worked out. its full of kids from the library who have never seen a duke game (and for the record, i get to duke)

Billy Dat
03-03-2009, 09:03 PM
The lack of injuries was a big thing for us prior to the Maryland game. All of a sudden, we're down 2 of our main rotation guys - bad timing.

Hopefully, we regroup at half, make some adjustments based on our personnel and foul situation, and come out with some fire. I hope we improve from outside...maybe Paulus has one last Cameron hot streak left in him.

Newton_14
03-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Fortunate to only be down 6. Bad shot selection, wrong guys taking shots, and way too many fouls. Zoubs has 3, Dave has 3, Miles has 2, and Lance is out with injury.

It's going to take some Cameron magic and shots to start falling to pull this out. We missed 3 dunks and a lot of free throws, not to mention the 3 Ball not going either..

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2009, 09:04 PM
what happened to lance. came 5 minutes in. did it look serious? did he roll it? look broken? obviously, no result yet, but what did it look like?

CDu
03-03-2009, 09:05 PM
You really notice how good Lance was playing when he's not around... For everyone calling for Plumlee to get more playing time, just look at this game for evidence as to why he hasn't gotten it. Lucky to be down by only 6 with the way we played in the 1st half. Going to have to come up with a lineup that can work out there. Duke is so thin, losing Nolan or Lance for very long will be tough to overcome.

Yeah, Thomas gives us an entirely different dimension. He's athletic enough to defend the 4 or 5 spot, is active on offense, and big enough to be credible defensively inside. It definitely shows up in a game like tonight, where we're looking either really small or really slow.

Hopefully he's not hurt for long (and hopefully we get Smith back soon). We look pretty thin right now. It's going to take a pretty amazing effort in the second half for the good guys to pull this one out.

The1Bluedevil
03-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Zoubek has more turnovers and fouls then minutes in the 1st half

CDu
03-03-2009, 09:06 PM
what happened to lance. came 5 minutes in. did it look serious? did he roll it? look broken? obviously, no result yet, but what did it look like?

He landed awkwardly going for a steal on a lobbed pass at midcourt. It was hard to tell exactly what happened.

jv001
03-03-2009, 09:07 PM

Yes it seems that way to me. But I guess they have not had that much to cheer about. We're jacking up 3's and not getting back on defense. It's ok to take the open shot, but pleaseeeeeee get back on defense. Our inside game is so weak. Zoubek doesn't have an athletic bone in his body, bless his soul. Plumlee looks like he's thinking too much and not being aggresive. Losing Lance really hurts. We had better tighten up on defense and hit some 3's or this could get ugly(Clemson ugly). Go Duke!

flyingdutchdevil
FSU is playing some amazing defense right now. add in the fact that open shots aren't going in, and that is bad news.

IMO, I like FSU. This year, they are a good team. They play great D. They have a great player in Toney D. That said, I want Duke to destroy them for all that they are worth.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!

Kfanarmy
can't tell...sounds like the espn360 coverage has it muted somewhat...announcers are really loud comparatively.

not a great 1st half...missed dunks alone would have this game tied...may be pressing a bit, jumpers aren't falling either, some have been really wide open.

mgtr
03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I was one who thought that this would be Zoubek's year, but I was wrong. So, what do we do in the second half? Zone, I guess. I don't see that we can defend FSU the way we are going.

CDu
03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes it seems that way to me. But I guess they have not had that much to cheer about. We're jacking up 3's and not getting back on defense. It's ok to take the open shot, but pleaseeeeeee get back on defense. Our inside game is so weak. Zoubek doesn't have an athletic bone in his body, bless his soul. Plumlee looks like he's thinking too much and not being aggresive. Losing Lance really hurts. We had better tighten up on defense and hit some 3's or this could get ugly(Clemson ugly). Go Duke!

We have to start forcing turnovers. FSU is one of the best half court defensive teams, and they're going to make it difficult for us to get easy points. Right now, we have zero transition points. We need to force some turnovers to get some free points. And we're going to have to shoot much better.

KShip21
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Although I agree the crowd seems pretty lethargic and week so far tonight. In their defense, a 32% fg%, 3 missed dunks, missed free throws, minimal defense, and fsu shooting free throws everytime down court has not given them a chance to really get into it.

Here's to a heck of a second half, a "crazy" crowd, ad a big W!!!! I hope

Newton_14
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
One of the bad things about the last home game of the year is teams sometimes try way too hard and get out of their normal rythym. Seniors trying to win their last game ever in the building, underclassmen trying too hard to get a win for the Seniors, etc. I wonder if that is part of the problem tonight.

Good news is, they are shooting terrible, not playing great D, but only down six. If they can pull it together and get hot from 3, they can gut out a win.

KShip21
03-03-2009, 09:12 PM
"weak". Damn iPhone

flyingdutchdevil
We have to start forcing turnovers. FSU is one of the best half court defensive teams, and they're going to make it difficult for us to get easy points. Right now, we have zero transition points. We need to force some turnovers to get some free points. And we're going to have to shoot much better.

Try to force turnovers when we are already in crazy foul trouble?........

I like the zone idea. Also, we aren't the greatest in forcing turnovers in the paint.

What we need to do is make open shots. It's not easy, obviously, but its the most rationale thing to do right now. We haven't been playing bad at all. In fact, I think we have been alright on offense (only the shots, and dunks, aren't falling)

CDu
I was one who thought that this would be Zoubek's year, but I was wrong. So, what do we do in the second half? Zone, I guess. I don't see that we can defend FSU the way we are going.

Zone might not be the worst idea. FSU isn't a very good shooting team.

As for Zoubek, hopefully he stays healthy and can finally have an offseason to work on his footwork and lower body strength. The foot injuries have killed his summers, and that's when you can make the biggest improvements to your game.

trey
03-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Fortunate to only be down 6. Bad shot selection, wrong guys taking shots, and way too many fouls. Zoubs has 3, Dave has 3, Miles has 2, and Lance is out with injury.

It's going to take some Cameron magic and shots to start falling to pull this out. We missed 3 dunks and a lot of free throws, not to mention the 3 Ball not going either..

I agree, lucky to only be down 6. It seems like they are trying a little too hard and playing a little fast. A few makes on the line and this is a tie game. G has also been very quiet tonight. If he could provide a little spark, it would be a huge plus. We can pull this out. Go Duke.

CDu
03-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Try to force turnovers when we are already in crazy foul trouble?........

I like the zone idea. Also, we aren't the greatest in forcing turnovers in the paint.

What we need to do is make open shots. It's not easy, obviously, but its the most rationale thing to do right now. We haven't been playing bad at all. In fact, I think we have been alright on offense (only the shots, and dunks, aren't falling)

You can force turnovers without fouling. You do it by attacking passing lanes rather than reaching in on dribblers. Please note that Scheyer has two consecutive steals.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Good D -- C'mon Devils !!!

trey
03-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Is it just me, or are the whistles a little late in this game?

Billy Dat
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Nice start - let's keep driving and getting to the line!

The1Bluedevil
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
When Duke misses 3's Florida State continues to get long run outs. One pass and a wide open jumper.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2009, 09:19 PM
GO DUKE

IMO, the crazies not up to par!!!!

GO DUKE!!!!!

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2009, 09:21 PM
You can force turnovers without fouling. You do it by attacking passing lanes rather than reaching in on dribblers. Please note that Scheyer has two consecutive steals.

Attacking passing lanes can lead to steals. It can also lead to very easy baskets for FSU. That is the last thing we need.

That said, those two Scheyer steals were very nice. And Coach K had a very effective talk with Zoubs.

CDu
03-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Attacking passing lanes can lead to steals. It can also lead to very easy baskets for FSU. That is the last thing we need.

That said, those two Scheyer steals were very nice. And Coach K had a very effective talk with Zoubs.

In case you didn't notice, FSU was getting easy buckets anyway. We were not. Getting some steals gives us a chance to get some easier scoring opportunities. When you're undermanned and outsized, you have to take some calculated gambles.

Billy Dat
03-03-2009, 09:24 PM
There's a lid on that lead!

KShip21
03-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Chance #73748 to tie or take lead. Get over the hump boys!!!

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
In case you didn't notice, FSU was getting easy buckets anyway. We were not. Getting some steals gives us a chance to get some easier scoring opportunities. When you're undermanned and outsized, you have to take some calculated gambles.

FSU was getting easy baskets due to sub-par man-on-man. When you are in foul trouble, gambling ain't the greatest of ideas.

CDu - I've noticed that we like to argue on this site ;)

CDu
03-03-2009, 09:29 PM
FSU was getting easy baskets due to sub-par man-on-man. When you are in foul trouble, gambling ain't the greatest of ideas.

CDu - I've noticed that we like to argue on this site ;)

The guys who are in foul trouble (Zoubek, Plumlee, McClure) aren't the guys I want gambling for steals. The guys I want doing it aren't in foul trouble.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Duke lead -- c'mon!!!

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2009, 09:30 PM
The guys who are in foul trouble (Zoubek, Plumlee, McClure) aren't the guys I want gambling for steals. The guys I want doing it aren't in foul trouble.

Williams also in trouble. You don't want Williams and McClure doing for steals? Really?

CDu
03-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Defensive intensity? Increased.

Shooting percentage on threes? Increased.

Let's keep this lead and pull out the W!

CDu
03-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Williams also in trouble. You don't want Williams and McClure doing for steals? Really?

Williams has only two fouls. That's not foul trouble. And as I said, pressuring the passing lanes isn't as big a risk of picking up fouls. I want the wings pressuring the passing lanes. That means Henderson, Scheyer, and Williams.

InSpades
03-03-2009, 09:33 PM
I still hate the 3 point offense. Even if it works. We're not a good enough 3-point shooting team to consistently win games with it. It might work for just this one though :).

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2009, 09:34 PM
NO! Lost feed!!! What happened in the last two plays? We are up 55? Last I saw, we were at 50

CDu
03-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Night fellas. Here's to Duke pulling this one out.

should_be_working
03-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I lost feed from espn360 too, hoping it will come back on SOON

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 09:38 PM
EWill -- time to make your mark!!!

Crud -- 1-3

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Refs are weird. They were really harsh in the first half, loose in the second.

I think that calling fouls has been consistent for both teams, though. That G shot/layup thing was weird. Couldn't tell if it was a foul or not

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm listening on the radio and not watching -- what happened with that last T?

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
And off comes the jacket!!!!

trey
03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Elliot was hit high and low...no foul.

Wait, Singler hooks the defender...no foul. OK, we're even ;)

Billy Dat
03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
RE: T
He basically took a shot at Singler on his way down from the dunk

Let's go baby!!!

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Elliot was hit high and low...no foul.

Wait, Singler hooks the defender...no foul. OK, we're even ;)

tit-for-tat? I am having a mini heart attack. March Madness is going to be crazy!

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
RE: T
He basically took a shot at Singler on his way down from the dunk

Let's go baby!!!

Thanks, Billy D.

Billy Dat
03-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks, Billy D.

Always happy to serve a member of the OPK TRIBE!

juise
03-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Not a big fan of Dave's 5th foul. It sure didn't look like much contact... certainly not near as much as that mid-court assault on Elliot a few minutes ago (no foul called).

Bluedog
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Not a big fan of Dave's 5th foul. It sure didn't look like much contact... certainly not near as much as that mid-court assault on Elliot a few minutes ago (no foul called).

He was BACKING off with his hand up in the air. Gah, Karl Hess drives me nuts sometimes.....having said that, I like that they aren't calling many charges this game on BOTH sides...

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 09:57 PM
EWill!!!!!!!

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Always happy to serve a member of the OPK TRIBE!

Back at ya!

trey
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
He was BACKING off with his hand up in the air. Gah, Karl Hess drives me nuts sometimes.....having said that, I like that they aren't calling many charges this game on BOTH sides...

Not to mention that the "contact" created no advantage.

Thank you Dave. Lets win this one for the seniors.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Whoever has the last shot in this one will win it.

Kfanarmy
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
stop would be nice

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
"Derwin" ?!?

GGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGG GGGGGG!@!!!!!!!!!

and ZZZZ!!!

Kfanarmy
03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
huge play by zoubek!!!!!!!!!!!

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Elliot doesn't foul!

trey
03-03-2009, 10:07 PM
huge play by zoubek!!!!!!!!!!!

and the look on G's face as he was going for the ball was awesome.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Karl Hess = Lenny Wirtz. And in even a worse way than you're imagining.

77devil
03-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Karl Hess is an idiot.

OPK- like the avatar

OldPhiKap
03-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Drive Home Safe-ly.

Kfanarmy
03-03-2009, 10:12 PM
kid from FSU is copying scheyer's facial expressions