PDA

View Full Version : Thank You, Seniors!

Troublemaker
02-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Tuesday night is Senior Night for Greg Paulus, Dave McClure, and Marty Pocius. Please show your appreciation or share any fond recollections here. IMO, all three guys have been excellent representatives of Duke University.

geraldsneighbor
02-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I was able to meet Greg in January. He is a very high character individual, one that resembles what it means to wear a Duke uniform. I'll be sad to see him go knowing how many big shots he hit and the emotion that he put into every game. He has been the spark plug of this team since he got here from the floor slaps to clutch three's I'm thankful Greg played here.

Dave is also another high character guy. He won't score 20 points a night but for a kid who is 6'6'' does an absolute hell of a job on the glass. Hes been through a lot since he got here from the knee injury on. Dave is such a well spoken kid. Everyone will always remember the night he beat Clemson.

Two kids who I will be sad to see go, but gave me as a fan so much.

Thanks Guys!

BlueintheFace
02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't know why.... I can't explain it, but Greg Paulus is one of my five favorite Devils of all time. Would that Greg's heart could have been put in a few players' bodies.

Thanks for the ride Greg. Finish it off in style and to hell with half of the "duke fans" who have made certain statements about you these past few years.

jpfrizzle
02-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Both Greg & Dave will be missed

Here's some pics I found of Greg & Dave:

http://images35.fotki.com/v1173/fileO0bm/1e89d/1/1455264/7122935/GregPaulusBIGCover.png

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20090121/all/l3599111.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01W94MEdolcuI/340x.jpg

http://wwwcache.wralsportsfan.com/assets/colleges/duke/2009/01/17/4338744/4338744-1232231596-300x225.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04s81SleiM9FU/340x.jpg

Thanks for showing us some really great games!! Go DUKE ! ! ! !

geraldsneighbor
02-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Both Greg & Dave will be missed

Here's some pics I found of Greg & Dave:

http://images35.fotki.com/v1173/fileO0bm/1e89d/1/1455264/7122935/GregPaulusBIGCover.png

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20090121/all/l3599111.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01W94MEdolcuI/340x.jpg

http://wwwcache.wralsportsfan.com/assets/colleges/duke/2009/01/17/4338744/4338744-1232231596-300x225.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04s81SleiM9FU/340x.jpg

Thanks for showing us some really great games!! Go DUKE ! ! ! !

I was at that Gonzaga game at MSG when Paulus ran head first into press row. He was down for a few minutes bleeding as the Duke faithful chanted "Let's go Paulus." Greg got up and led Duke to a 7 point win over Gonzaga. Things like that are difficult to forget.

jpfrizzle
02-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I was at that Gonzaga game at MSG when Paulus ran head first into press row. He was down for a few minutes bleeding as the Duke faithful chanted "Let's go Paulus." Greg got up and led Duke to a 7 point win over Gonzaga. Things like that are difficult to forget.

Unfortunately, I've never witnessed a DUKE game live. I would love too, mosdef!

but, there are alot of great memories from Dave & Greg.

Greg's leadership.
David's defense.

Troublemaker
02-28-2009, 07:29 PM
It seems like every time I turn around, Greg is winning another Academic All American award. He's a throwback. Someone that can start 90+ games for you during his career AND do well in school as a poli sci major. Him being a true student-athlete is what I'll remember most about Greg, and I thank him for being that.

As for Dave, he's always been one my favorite glue guys on the court. He basically has a big guard's body and yet is an excellent rebounder. On defense, he can guard both inside and out. On offense, I'm comfortable with the ball in his hands because he'll protect it and make a good pass. He's just very fundamentally sound in many important aspects of basketball. As a result, he's been a treat to watch play, and I hope I get to see him and Greg play 11 more games in their careers.

camion
02-28-2009, 07:35 PM
It seems like Dave has been around forever. Oh wait, he has.

In any event he's one of my favorite players of this century.

BlueintheFace
02-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Gonzaga is one of my favorite memories with Greg.

Also, Paulus single handedly finishing off Davidson last year

Paulus literally carrying the team for the last 10 games or so of Duke's "down season."

Hitting TONS of huge threes in the last 3-4 minutes of games. Honestly, last year he should have been nicknamed "The coffin-hammer."

Going off @ Carolina last year

Everytime he slaps that floor!

Hancock 4 Duke
02-28-2009, 08:39 PM
I was able to meet Greg in January. He is a very high character individual, one that resembles what it means to wear a Duke uniform. I'll be sad to see him go knowing how many big shots he hit and the emotion that he put into every game. He has been the spark plug of this team since he got here from the floor slaps to clutch three's I'm thankful Greg played here.

I also met him in a hotel before the Clemson game. I got his autograph and he was really nice, and he let me take a picture with him. I said bye and left. He said "see ya later man". I think he is the perfect person to be honored on senior night. Let's go Greg! It will be sad to see him in his last game at Cameron:(

cascadedevil
02-28-2009, 11:10 PM
I have no doubts that Greg and Dave will be succesful at everything they choose to do. They personify everything that makes me a proud fan and alum. Thanks!

dukefanSD
02-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the hard work you've put in over the years, you couldn't have done a better job of representing your university. Here's wishing you all the luck and happiness in the future. Go Duke!!!

umdukie
03-01-2009, 04:25 AM
I know Greg's mom made cookies for some fans in KVille the night before the Carolina game.:)

Paulus took so much heat throughout his career for being a Duke PG and he never once let that bother him. Same with Dave; he fulfilled his responsibility as a role player without ever complaining. These guys give their all and do everything that's asked of them every game they play.

Greg and Dave are fine examples of team players and that's what they will be remembered for.:)

4decadedukie
03-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Greg Paulus and Dave McClure will play their last game in Cameron this week, against Florida State. Neither achieved “retired jersey” status; in aggregate, however, they have made critical and continuous contributions to Duke Basketball, and I want to thank them publicly for superior effort throughout the last four years, for critical defensive intensity and performance, for tenacity, for courageous team leadership, and – most important – for the types of individuals they are. Both men have been criticized for basketball deficiencies and both have remained team- and leadership-focused, selfless, and have consistently elevated their performances. I am extremely proud they are fellow Duke Alumni and I sincerely appreciate their guts, their attitudes and values, their unremitting team spirit, and their willing sacrifices for the greater good of the team and of Duke. It is my opinion that they will be deeply missed.

DukieBoy
03-01-2009, 09:45 AM
One other moment that no one has mentioned was Dave's layup against Clemson two years ago to win the game at the buzzer. That was easily my favorite Dave moment.

And Greg making it rain at the dean dome last year was unforgettable. My favorite that night was his three where he fell down right in front of the bench and it still went in.

Thanks for the memories guys.

dukebsbll14
03-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Congrats on terrific careers Greg and Dave!! I hope Greg takes a page out of the Melchionni playbook and kisses center court during the senior night ceremonies:)

The first season I seriously started following Duke basketball (at a Cameron Crazie intensity) was the 05-06 season. Greg and Dave were frosh (Dave a redshirt i think?) and what I have really enjoyed about the past four seasons is seeing those guys grow and progress here at Duke; they are the first players that I have followed from frosh to graduation.

I remember in 05-06, Greg with all the assists. In 06-07, Dave's game-winning shot vs Clem and the struggles of Greg. Last season, Greg's shot at the UNC game and all the other clutch threes... in case no one noticed Paulus is my favorite player:) You know, we may not have won at UNC game at Cameron for those guys, but how about we go win an ACC title or better yet how about a National Championship?!!?

Thanks for all the memories Greg and Dave, both the good and the bad. Its going to be bittersweet Tuesday watching two players, who in my opinion epitomize what Duke Basketball is on and off the court, playing their final game at Cameron. I do not think this is the last time we will see either of them; I think we could be seeing Dave playing beyond college and don't be surprised to see Greg on the sideline coaching someday (maybe at Duke).

Thanks for the memories:) Give us one last slap of the floor

Kim*
03-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Losing Greg is going to be a huge, huge deal for me. He is the heart and soul of this squad and he will be overwhelmingly missed. I don't even want to think about it right now. And Dave is just the best. Fought through injuries and scrapped to the max to help out his team in any way he could. Great kid, and he has been a great asset.

I definitely want to show some love for Jordan, too. That kid works his butt off and he deserves to be recognized. Plus, Singler stole his jersey number. haha I kid, I kid.

bossesjoe
03-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Greg Paulus is on my top five list of Duke players, his leadership and passion that he puts in the game is truly representative of what Duke basketball should be. We were extremely lucky to have him on the team, and I can't think of any graduating senior on another team that I would have preferred to have play for us.

Dave McClure is another player that I think I will always remember. You could tell that he always gave a hundred and ten percent to the team, and has had some amazing plays that still send chills down my spine when I watch replays. I'm very glad he choose to play at Duke, and definitely made huge contributions to the team.

The two of these players are the kind of people that got where they are with huge amounts of effort, and I think they can be extremely proud of what they accomplished!

Thank you seniors!

Onlyduke
03-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Greg and Dave, thanks for the memories!

weezie
03-01-2009, 01:23 PM
May the road rise up to meet you Greg and Dave!

So proud of you both!

captmojo
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
To all the Seniors, men and women, thank you for a load of entertainment to an old guy these later few years.

Congratulations and best wishes.

jpfrizzle
03-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Just outta my curiosity, do (the guys)the Blue Devils read the Elizabeth King Forum? It would be really awesome if they do! :D

nyr484
03-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BfScg9cNCs

BWIV
03-01-2009, 02:41 PM
For the record, this is also Marty Pocius' senior night. The RS junior from Lithuania is foregoing his final year of eligibility.

jpfrizzle
03-01-2009, 02:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBZZfdmA264

Enjoi!

-jk
03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
For the record, this is also Marty Pocius' senior night. The RS junior from Lithuania is foregoing his final year of eligibility.

Has this been published anywhere? We've all been wondering...

-jk

Kewlswim
03-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Has this been published anywhere? We've all been wondering...

-jk

Hi,

I always felt Marty was one step away from breaking out and being a solid contributor. :(

GO DUKE!

roywhite
03-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Apparently (Chron blog), he will bypass a possible final year, and finish his Duke career.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/category/mens-basketball/

BlueintheFace
03-01-2009, 05:54 PM
http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2009/03/01/pocius-to-bypass-extra-season-of-eligibility/

Marty Pocius, a redshirt junior who has battled injuries in his four years at Duke, will bypass his fifth season of eligibility, the program announced in a release Sunday

Acymetric
03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Mods, a thread like this got merged with the senior night, but it might be worth having this as a separate thread, since it is fairly new information. People that aren't reading the senior thread would miss out on this if it keeps getting merged.

miramar
03-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I wish him only the best. I assume he'll return to Europe and I hope he'll do well.

CDu
03-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Not the least bit surprising. Hopefully wherever Pocius winds up next year works out for him.

Troublemaker
03-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Mods, a thread like this got merged with the senior night, but it might be worth having this as a separate thread, since it is fairly new information. People that aren't reading the senior thread would miss out on this if it keeps getting merged.

I agree. This thread will be left unmerged.

Lord Ash
03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
It is a real shame for Marty that he never really developed into an important member of the playing team. However, I would assume he learned a lot under K, and hopefully it will serve him going forward.

houstondukie
03-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Wow, we're going to be VERY THIN on the perimeter next year if Gerald Henderson leaves.

Coach K really needs to add one maybe two guards from the HS Senior class: John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, etc

redick4pres
03-01-2009, 06:23 PM
I saw Marty at Crabtree Valley Mall last Monday afternoon and he seemed to be a very nice guy. Was with a girl and you could tell he was treating her very nice. I wish him the best and really wish we could have used his talents better the last 4 years (and no, I'm not second guessing K).

Jumbo
03-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Wow, we're going to be VERY THIN on the perimeter next year if Gerald Henderson leaves.

Coach K really needs to add one maybe two guards from the HS Senior class: John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, etc

At the very least, we'll have Scheyer, Smith and Williams. Plus, we're bringing in two talented bigs, so that'll enable Singler to play more at the 3. And you never know what might happen in April or May -- look at how Duke ended up with Miles Plumlee.

I suggest we worry about next year when this season ends, though. Best to enjoy the ride that remains and use this thread to thank Marty for his contributions over the years.

Kim*
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow. Well, he's a great kid and I'm sure he's doing what is best for him. I wish him all the luck, and he will be missed.

And according to that article, Jordan is staying? I had wondered if something was up with him this season because he hasn't played at all. Had no idea he was redshirting.

Kim*
03-01-2009, 06:48 PM
(Okay so scratch that thing I said about Jordan earlier. Since he's apparently sticking around, according to that article.)

DukieBoy
03-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Wow. Well, he's a great kid and I'm sure he's doing what is best for him. I wish him all the luck, and he will be missed.

And according to that article, Jordan is staying? I had wondered if something was up with him this season because he hasn't played at all. Had no idea he was redshirting.

Well that gives us four guards coming back for sure next year. :D

natedog4ever
03-01-2009, 06:52 PM
This brings clarity to the redshirting of Davidson and the comment by Nate that "we are in a sticky situation". Oh well, here's to Kyle and Lance moving to the perimeter! Man I never realized how things just worked out magically in the 90's.

geraldsneighbor
03-01-2009, 07:22 PM
This brings clarity to the redshirting of Davidson and the comment by Nate that "we are in a sticky situation". Oh well, here's to Kyle and Lance moving to the perimeter! Man I never realized how things just worked out magically in the 90's.

Is the general conception around the program that G is leaving then? I had heard K say that he believes G has a lot to improve on. Hopefully G takes all of that into effect.

dukebsbll14
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Marty doesn't foul! Marty doesn't foul!

aww man... now Marty's going...I remember back I think his frosh or soph year he held the door for my sister and I and he had to use my sister's bathroom key at her dorm because there wasn't any guy with a key lol

jv001
03-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Dave and Greg you're going to be missed. Thanks for your hard work and contributions to the Duke Basketball Program. Let's end the CIS Experience with a win against Fl State. Go Dave and Greg and Go Duke!

Son of Jarhead
03-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks, Seniors! You guys will be missed... now let's go get some banners to hang before your done!

gep
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
I wish him only the best. I assume he'll return to Europe and I hope he'll do well.

I, too, wish him the best. Since he's an academic senior, is he graduating? (wasn't in the article?).

With a good Duke education, 4 years with Coach K... I expect his future is bright:)

Thanks, Marty, for being the team player we all admire...:)

Devilsfan
03-01-2009, 11:02 PM
I too wish Marty the best. RKelly is a three in a 6'10" body. He seems more comfortable on the perimeter than banging on the boards.

gumbomoop
03-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I confess that I just feel bad about this. Along with a few, but admittedly not many, other posters, I had very high hopes for Marty this year. Indeed, I suspect I overvalued his talent/potential/something more than any other poster. As I couldn't see any obvious "in K's doghouse" signs [but maybe I missed those, too.....], I can only conclude that those close to the program who have consistently asserted that K gives PT according to who deserves it via practice, are correct.

Marty has hardly been a major subject on these boards this season, for obvious reasons, but very occasionally someone would gush, appropriately, over some Marty drive to the basket, showing his athleticism, or moan, appropriately, over Marty settling for a (missed) 3.

I feel bad [I know, my problem, not yours] because it [I]seems[I] that Marty has real moves, but due to injuries and playing behind others with a sounder set of skills, including defense, he could never find enough minutes to get into the flow. Talent, but no flow - something like that.

I don't worry too much right now about a dearth of perimeter players in '09-'10, for even if G leaves and we don't get, say, Bledsoe, I would find sorta pleasing and certainly intriguing the prospect of KS at the 3 and even occasionally at the 2 --they're both, after all, wing spots.

To Marty, here's hoping he has learned so much practicing against solid players that he finds a spot in Europe, and that someday we get to see him doing well.

zingit
03-01-2009, 11:11 PM
RKelly is a three in a 6'10" body.

I wish Marty the best too. I wish it had worked out a little better for him here, but a Duke education and an opportunity to play with one of the best basketball programs in the country is nothing to sneeze at.

miramar
03-02-2009, 10:08 AM
My favorite McClure memory is from his freshman year so long ago, against I believe the University of Miami. Duke was holding for the last shot of the first half, and Dave decided to drive with about twenty seconds left and gets his shot blocked. Coach K called a time out and when Dave got back to the bench Coach K was holding his finger to his temple with an enraged look on his face, telling him to think out there.

Obviously he learned his lesson well because he has been a very heady player ever since.

CDu
03-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I suggest we worry about next year when this season ends, though. Best to enjoy the ride that remains and use this thread to thank Marty for his contributions over the years.

I don't see anything wrong with fully enjoying this year, acknowledging Pocius, AND thinking about next year's team. There's plenty of time to do all three, so long as you don't let thoughts of next year keep you from enjoying this year. That's never been a problem for me - there's so much time between games that I see nothing wrong with thinking ahead.

I_am_a_Blue_Devil
03-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks Dave, Marty and Greg! Duke wouldnt be what it is today without all of you!

I could probably write a 10 page long essay on why I have a man crush on Greg, but I will try and keep it short as to not bore anyone. Most of how I feel about him is due to his heart, hustle, and pride of wearing a Duke uniform. I feel like for the most part, everyone who dons the Blue and White feel a great passion for the University and really hold their time there as something special. But for some reason, maybe just to me, Greg seems to live it and love it as much as anyone ever has. He has played with tons of emotion, and I can't ever remember a game where I thought he didn’t give 110%. Starting, subbing, or riding the pine, Duke getting the W is what was most important to Greg. He showed leadership, battled through injury and adversity, put up with as much crap from opposing fans as anyone can endure, and always did it with class and a smile. Well spoken, honorable, good student, and a hell of a basketball player. I would take Mr. Paulus on my team 100 times out of 100. Thank you Greg Paulus for your contributions to Duke Basketball. You are my favorite basketball player of all time, bar none. You will be greatly missed.

Acymetric
03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
My favorite McClure memory is from his freshman year so long ago, against I believe the University of Miami. Duke was holding for the last shot of the first half, and Dave decided to drive with about twenty seconds left and gets his shot blocked. Coach K called a time out and when Dave got back to the bench Coach K was holding his finger to his temple with an enraged look on his face, telling him to think out there.

Obviously he learned his lesson well because he has been a very heady player ever since.

Maybe that incident scared the desire to shoot right out of him, there certainly hasn't been any danger of him taking unnecessary shots since;).

This is a great group of guys, I really like Paulus and always hoped for more from Marty, but the I'll really miss Dave. Always a solid player, and without all those injuries who knows how good he could have been? Of course, when thinking about Dave, I always have to think back to one of his earlier years when he mouthed off to an upperclassman J.J. Coach K let him have it after that.

Best of luck to these guys in the future.

watzone
03-02-2009, 02:40 PM
I just finished talking with Marty Pocius. Here is the interview - http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1865

BlueintheFace
03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Great read... small point- It's "international comparative studies"

grossbus
03-02-2009, 03:44 PM
well, i am going to miss those two guys too, but i will miss marty too and always wonder what might have been if not for those ankle injuries.

BD80
03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
I believe as a graduating senior with a year of eligibility remaining, Marty would be free to enroll at any school as a grad student (on scholarship) and be eligible to play next year.

Know any schools that have a spot for a very athletic 2/3 with 4 years of experience under the best living basketball coach under the age of 90?

I view this as an indication that G will return, because Marty would likely see plenty of playing time next year if G leaves. I do imagine Marty will have a successful pro career, so maybe he is ready to get back home and to start living the good life. It does sound like his decision is made.

I am sorry to see Marty leave, and wish him well

gotham devil
03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
I just finished talking with Marty Pocius. Here is the interview - http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1865

Gonna miss having someone on the team with hair longer than a 1/4 inch.
Marty never gave in to peer pressure. ;)

Newton_14
03-02-2009, 11:05 PM
To Greg, Dave, and Marty,

Guys, thanks for representing the uniform! All three of you showed class throughout your careers, and I for one appreciate that just as much as your many contributions to the teams. The injury bug bit all of you at some point during your career, yet you battled through that and adapted your games, and continued to make contributions.

Thank you for all of the memories, far too many to list but here is one short blurb for each.

Greg, I could write several pages about your contributions over 4 years, but sticking to one, as a freshman you took the ball as the Duke PG, and helped lead your team to an ACC Title. Awesome Job!

Dave, for you many many memories as well, you played everything from Shooting Guard to Center, to Power Forward, to Wing Player, bringing tough D and rebounding, but the game winning shot against Clemson as the clock expired takes the cake. A Big Thank You!

And finally Marty, I watched you in person as a freshman against Seton Hall and was wowed by your ability to take it to the hole, but my favorite memory happened this year in an early season game. You hustled back on D, and came out of nowhere to block a dunk attempt and pinned it against the glass. Cameron Indoor went bananas! An incredible play!

Thanks to all 3 of you!

NSDukeFan
03-03-2009, 08:36 AM
I wish all the best to Greg, Dave and Marty for their futures and a great and memorable final 11 games (hopefully) to your careers.
I am a big Greg fan and would love to see some great contributions down the stretch from a three year starter, last year's 3rd team ACC performer and an all around class act.